• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The finest example of each type

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Spielberg is ENFP, not ISFP. Speaking of which,

ENFP: Steven Spielberg

:D

Interesting, any reasoning? I always imagined the greatest ENFP as some sort of activist.

Edit: Been reading up and checking interviews, I'm quite sure he is ISFP. A lot of the criticism of him is typical idealist criticism of artisans "not enough depth and meaning etc."

He sees almost every major summer blockbuster in theaters if not preoccupied and enjoys most of them; "If I get pleasure from anything, I can't think of it as dumb or myself as shallow [...] I'll probably go late to that movie and go, 'What the dickens was everybody complaining about, that wasn't so bad!'"

Sounds very SP not NF.

All of us every single year, we're a different person. I don't think we're the same person all our lives.

Fluid identity ^ I cannot imagine many idealists saying that with their concern for being true to their "self".

I like the smell of film. I just like knowing there's film going through the camera.

Se ^

I never felt comfortable with myself, because I was never part of the majority. I always felt awkward and shy and on the outside of the momentum of my friends' lives.

Aren't ENFPs supposed to be these great people persons that relate to everyone?

ENFP s are usually lively, gregarious, and sociable, with a large circle of friends.

I'm not really interested in making money.

^ Interesting.

The public has an appetite for anything about imagination - anything that is as far away from reality as is creatively possible.

It's not about what he wants, its about what the public wants, making an impact, SPness.

You know, I don't really do that much looking inside me when I'm working on a project. Whatever I am becomes what that film is. But I change; you change.

Would be an interesting statement if an intuitive said it.

“I've always been very hopeful which I guess isn't strange coming from me. I don't want to call myself an optimist. I want to say that I've always been full of hope. I've never lost that. I have a lot of hope for this country and for the entire world. . .”

SP optimism?

What I`m saying is that I believe in showmanship.

^Interesting

Oops got carried away there. :blush:

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Interesting, any reasoning? I always imagined the greatest ENFP as some sort of activist.

you'd be surprised. ENFPs don't care enough for that. they're too detached. at least i know i am.

Sounds very SP not NF.

actually sometimes i agree with this. for the most part every movie i've ever watched was alright. i don't "get" critics sometimes.

Fluid identity ^ I cannot imagine many idealists saying that with their concern for being true to their "self".

i definitely think you misunderstand idealists here. ENFPs in their naivety find it possible to become many roles, or wear many masks despite having their own core. this is why they're charismatic: they can be anything to anyone. this is also what makes them excellent negotiators among other things. i cannot speak for other NF types, but i know i have felt some of this myself.

Aren't ENFPs supposed to be these great people persons that relate to everyone?

see above. you contradicted yourself.

^ Interesting.

if anything, this just further proves he is N and not S. i reckon S would be more interested in material gain whereas N (and especially NF) is more about gaining understanding.

It's not about what he wants, its about what the public wants, making an impact, SPness.

again, refer to the paragraph about being anything to anyone.

Would be an interesting statement if an intuitive said it.

SPs wanting change? i doubt they'd even care.

SP optimism?

the ability have hope and trust in the world? altruistic love? SP? really? i don't think so.

i don't really see any convincing argument for S here. besides, watching the movies he has worked on, i don't believe for one second he is SP. i don't believe an SP can see things the way he has seen them to make those movies.

nice try though, better luck next time!

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Robin Williams - ENFP (maybe not the finest example but certainly a good example)

Lightyear

INFJ:

Eleaonor Roosevelt

Dietrich Bonhoeffer (a German pastor who was part of the German Resistance Movement during the Second World War and was killed by the Nazis)

ENFP:

Robert Downey Jr after he overcame his drug addiction, having been severely humbled by it (and all its consequences including prison sentences, a broken marriage, public humiliation, his inability to find a job etc).

Apart from his obvious talent and wit he now seems like a really lovely, inspiring and grateful human being (I love his quote: "Long periods of time in something fairly akin to purgatory is a great remedy for a life that's short on gratitude.") I know there are a lot of people who have been inspired by his story, if he can overcome a seemingly hopeless situation there is hope for everyone.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
for best INTJ I'd go with Sir Issac Newton

Well he sure was one of the finest examples of weirdness, that for sure, so maybe yeah...I think I agree too.

Not saying anything about Spielberg, but yeah I don't relate to activism all that much myself. Too much exposure I think.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
the ability have hope and trust in the world? altruistic love? SP? really? i don't think so.

You're confusing NF with Fi.

ISFP Fi is just like ESFP Fi but without all the focus on meaning, you could say it's a bit shallower and a bit more sentimental, just like Spielberg. :yes:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Youre gettin' warm. He's an introvert though.

yeah, i don't think so. he may not have been as outgoing socially as you think extraverts ought to be but i can't see anything other than enfp for him.

i guess you're saying he's an infp? if so... tell me why?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
i don't believe an SP can see things the way he has seen them to make those movies.

But if he really IS the greatest ISFP ever then he surely could do that, the average ISFP maybe not but the greatest? Easy.

That is why this topic is interesting, the very best of a type will be extraordinary and will seem to cross type "boundaries" with ease.

Unwod

MBTI Type
INTJ
yeah, i don't think so. he may not have been as outgoing socially as you think extraverts ought to be but i can't see anything other than enfp for him.

i guess you're saying he's an infp? if so... tell me why?

hmmm... Realising its been a while since my 'doors years' I decided to do a short revisit of the man via the internet. And I'll be darned, you seem to be right. The guy was probably enfp.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
You're confusing NF with Fi.

ISFP Fi is just like ESFP Fi but without all the focus on meaning, you could say it's a bit shallower and a bit more sentimental, just like Spielberg. :yes:

i searched around for someone that could uphold this. i found nothing. care to link to source of this?

either way, whether this is true or not, you still haven't rebutted either of my other points as to speilberg being an N.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
But if he really IS the greatest ISFP ever then he surely could do that, the average ISFP maybe not but the greatest? Easy.

prove to me he is the greatest. prove to me that there is a difference between an average ISFP and a great ISFP. (hint: you can't, it's subjective).

That is why this topic is interesting, the very best of a type will be extraordinary and will seem to cross type "boundaries" with ease.

honestly it seems more like you just want him to be ISFP because then you'll have a role model with the same archetype as you. i don't think an ISFP would be overstepping any boundaries, because that's not what SPs do. again, feel free to prove me wrong.

VagrantFarce

If so why do all the type sites have him as ISFP? Including Keirseys site.
I really don't care what type any celebrity is and only included him because other people smarter than me have said he is ISFP.

If you really think he is ENFP, prove it here. Or start a thread on it.

He's listed here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/13803-dn-s-director-type-list.html

He's the founder of the Shoah Foundation, which is a pretty big deal.

He's a relentlessly optimistic, likeable person who talked his way onto the Universal lot when he was a teenager and set up an office for himself. Also, it only takes a cursory glance at his movies to see layers of meaning and depth; the biggest criticism of his films is that they're often too manipulative of their audience, not that they lack depth (this is why films like Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan were such surprises).

Also, if you take any stock in this sort of thing, you can trace his function development through his life. He has described himself as someone who "didn't want to grow up" and someone who was running away from responsibility. He notoriously didn't come to terms with his own jewish heritage for a long time. Nowadays he's constantly praising the need for a stable family. On the Actors Studio he says that he values people who "don't just listen to other people, but listen to themselves...most people listen to the shout, rather than the whisper." YouTube - Inside The Actor's Studio Steven Spielberg 1

I also refuse to believe that a person who dresses like this is an ISP. :p He's a man-child right down to the bone, pure ENFP.