• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

George Carlin

Idioteque

Never have I met an ESFP who have been so fascinated with language as Carlin was.. I think he was an ENTP. Not just because of the interest in language but for many other reasons as well.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Never have I met an ESFP who have been so fascinated with language as Carlin was.. I think he was an ENTP. Not just because of the interest in language but for many other reasons as well.
That's all well and good, because I changed my mind. I was right in the first place: He's ENTJ as all hell.

On his love of language: His focus on language, in his act, is never to analyze language. He doesn't pick it apart. Rathher, he criticizes overuse, or misuse, of it. The language portions of his act, like everything else about it, are snarky Te + Se rants. Like this (one of his best acts ever, in my opinion) for example:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DagVklB4VHQ"]Air Marshal Carlin tells you to go fuck yourself - Part 1[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DagVklB4VHQ"]Air Marshal Carlin tells you to go fuck yourself - Part 2[/YOUTUBE]

That's another complaint of mine - too much use of this prefix "pre". It's all over the language now — "pre"-this, "pre"-that, place the turkey in a "pre-heated" oven. It's ridiculous! There are only two states an oven can possibly exist in: Heated or unheated! "Pre-heated" is a meaningless fucking term! It's like "pre-recorded" — "This program was pre-recorded." Well, of course it was pre-recorded! When else are you gonna record it, afterwards? That's the whole purpose of recording; to do it beforehand! Otherwise it doesn't really work, does it? "Pre-existing", "pre-planning", "pre-screening" — you know what I tell these people? Pre-suck my genital situation! And they seem to understand what I'm talking about.
That, ladies and gentlemen, is what Te humor looks like (with a bit of Se at the end there -- the whole "suck my genitals" bit).

And then of course there's the fact he uses, quite deliberately it seems, body language, voice tone, etc. to enhance his act. Reading his book it's just not anywhere near as funny to read his stand-up act as it is to see it. This is Se.

And then there's the fact his Ni is, in fact, one of his top two functions. Reading his autobiography, he has actually always been a very long-term planner. When he was eleven he was already trying to figure out what he wanted to do in life, and by the time he got out of the air force he already had a plan completely ironed out. A plan that he faithfully stuck to until moving from stage two (becoming famous as a stand-up comic) to stage three (making it as a comic actor) failed because he discovered that he sucked at acting. Then it took him ages to pick a new path (something common among Ni users -- they have to kind of "reboot" when their schemes don't pan out), but when he finally had it ironed out his confidence was fully restored.

That, and the whole story is peppered with moments of strange, inexplicable "knowing" very consonant with Ni -- such as when he just knew him and Jack Burns were gonna be separated.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Seems ESTP to me. Your basis for Te is entirely that he can notice inefficiency. Ti notices inconsistencies. He's focused more on the illogicalness of the inefficiencies. He views them as illogical statements. He's not really worried about the effect that the inefficiencies have. Simply using them and the fact that they could be done without as a source of humor. Which seems very much like Ti to me.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my intuition says entj but it has no idea why. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Doesn't your kind of intuition also say 10 other things? :eek:

Haha well it said entp!! And then estp!! And then no defintely entj...but I use the other kind too don't be fooled by my supposed funtion order...I know stuff..haha

Not really..because I can't really decide between those 3 haha I just wanted to join the convo aren't ya glad I did? :}

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seems ESTP to me. Your basis for Te is entirely that he can notice inefficiency. Ti notices inconsistencies. He's focused more on the illogicalness of the inefficiencies. He views them as illogical statements. He's not really worried about the effect that the inefficiencies have. Simply using them and the fact that they could be done without as a source of humor. Which seems very much like Ti to me.
He's also mega-anal about his daily affairs (has meticulously kept records of all his shows sans 1972-1975, when he was in his drugged-out phase), and he plans his life years ahead -- which fits ESTJ of course, but the clear Se he shows on stage, and his narrated moments of mysterious "knowing," don't.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Totally an INFP.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You suck at typology though so it’s okay. :newwink:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
You suck at typology though so it’s okay. :newwink:

You are [scouring the newspaper classifieds for tantalizing "Lost Connections"].

Last edited by a moderator:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right back at'cha. Seriously, “he vibes that type” is not a valid typological criterion, and ambiguity is not an excuse. And, do you actually think N is just a future preference? :doh: That’s the least relevant bit about intuition – itself it’s a mere byproduct of the preference of N types for conceptual, abstract thinking.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Right back at'cha. Seriously, “he vibes that type” is not a valid typological criterion, and ambiguity is not an excuse. And, do you actually think N is just a future preference? :doh: That’s the least relevant bit about intuition – itself it’s a mere byproduct of the preference of N types for conceptual, abstract thinking.

I've never said any of the things you're trying to attribute to me. Nice try, though, [formidable adversary].

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
The more I think about it, the more I think he's an ENTJ.

His comedy is abrasive, like you do when you're Te dominant.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7w8 entp sx/sp. same as hunter s thompson. in the videos, his inflection is even similar.