• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

George Carlin

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Break it up, you two. *gets the hose*

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTP...just read his books. He just Ne's all over the place, backed by careful thought and word precision (in fact, that seems to play a large part in his humor).

However, I think his Ti is the horse and Ne the cart. Judging by his persona, he's also got a serious Fe deficiency. (Anemia? :alttongue:)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mind asplainin' to me how Carlin could be any form of introvert? Please?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reading more of his bio, I think he's more likely ESFP. His childhood and youth recountings sound extremely Se-ish, although peppered here and there with occasional Ni-like visions (most of which came true). Fi wasn't as readily apparent, but his T function is certainly Te rather than Ti, and Se does have kind of a steamroller effect over the Ji function. :laugh:

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Reading more of his bio, I think he's more likely ESFP. His childhood and youth recountings sound extremely Se-ish, although peppered here and there with occasional Ni-like visions (most of which came true). Fi wasn't as readily apparent, but his T function is certainly Te rather than Ti, and Se does have kind of a steamroller effect over the Ji function. :laugh:

what
the
fuck
dude
?

are you trying to satire yourself or the cognitive functions themselves with these roundabout attempts at typing celebs, or what? You demonstrate perfectly everything that is wrong with the cognitive function theory, because you can't "see" Se, Ni, Ne or Si anymore than you can see motherfucking atoms.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Se, Ni, etc. are symbols for a given set of cognitive traits. Those cognitive traits result in a number of implied behavioral patterns, from which the functions can be identified through inductive reasoning. I can't see the functions just like I can't see numbers in my environment, but I can, for example, see one potato chip and deduce that it's represented by the number 1.

And of course it's always easier to see a person's thought process (which is what functions define) when said person lays out their thoughts in a book...

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
I agree a person's thought process and dialectic can be readily apparent to us. But the cog functions they are actually USING in that thought process? No way. I think the best we can do, as far as we go, is the 4 letter type, or if that isn't apparent, then one of the four temperaments might be.

And that's just "my opinion" but I've always said you can make any pattern of functions seem to fit any person, or any behavior you like, and you just did that right now more or less.

if you don't believe me, give me ANY pair of sensing/processing functions and I will find presence of said pair for you in George's books, comedy skits or biography. its not hard to do - shit you've covered half of them already :p

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol if anything he is definetly an auxilary or dominant ti

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree a person's thought process and dialectic can be readily apparent to us. But the cog functions they are actually USING in that thought process?
You don't use cog processes, because cog processes don't exist any more than the number ten exists. Cog processes are symbols defined by thought patterns (or generalized perspectives, depending on which theory you prefer).

if you don't believe me, give me ANY pair of sensing/processing functions and I will find its presence for you in George's books, comedy skits or biography. its not hard to do - shit you've covered half of them yourself already :p
No I haven't. I've maintained pretty adamantly throughout that Carlin is Se/Ni and Te/Fi, as well as an extrovert (that is to say, he could only logically be ENTJ or ESFP).

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
You don't use cog processes, because cog processes don't exist any more than the number Pi exists. .

well i'm glad we agree on that much :p

Q: do you think biological-based temperament exists? because I try to look for that rather than do it through the cog function method.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well i'm glad we agree on that much :p

Q: do you think biological-based temperament exists? because I try to look for that rather than do it through the cog function method.
That if I'm not mistaken has a more scientific basis to it, so yeah.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
ENTP. He's not an introvert, if you watch interviews with him he is very involved in them and has a lot to say. Also he said when he started performing he got off on performing in front of a crowd, which was something he said was very rewarding.

he's surely a rational, and is an obvious Ti user. Ne is also really obvious in his performances. See the last bit of his last HBO special.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
But why N?

he was always very focused on revealing the underlying way things work, and not so much in the way an ESTP would with hard objects. Politics, religion, society, these aren't fully tangible mechanical contraptions. What he was really passionate about in his criticisms was very NT. An ESTP is a realist, and while they'd have something to say about these topics I don't think Carlin would have made them so centrally focused were he an SP.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
True, but I do think his Intuitive function was Ni rather than Ne. And reading Last Words it appears to have been much less prominent in his youth.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
he was always very focused on revealing the underlying way things work, and not so much in the way an ESTP would with hard objects. Politics, religion, society, these aren't fully tangible mechanical contraptions. What he was really passionate about in his criticisms was very NT. An ESTP is a realist, and while they'd have something to say about these topics I don't think Carlin would have made them so centrally focused were he an SP.

Wow, did you really just say that he was an NT because he talked about politics, religion, and society? Honestly, just when I think the popular culture section couldn't possibly reach a lower level of dumb...

Carlin's whole schtick was that he was a realist. He's even said it before:

You have got to be realistic about terrorism. Ya gotta be a realist: Certain groups of people – muslim fundamentalists, christian fundamentalists, jewish fundamentalists, and just plain guys from Montana – are going to continue to make life in this country very interesting for a long, long time. That’s the reality. Angry men in combat fatigues talking to god on a two-way radio and muttering incoherent slogans about freedom are eventually going to provide us with a great deal of entertainment.

People just refuse to be realistic. They don't like to be realistic. People would rather stroke themselves.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
To be fair, I am at least 3 letters correct.

but I'll settle for ENTP realist. :D