• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Freud/Jung's Type

heart

heart on fire
Page xvi of The Portable Jung, tells in Jung's own words how deeply painful the discovery about the affair between Freud and Freud's SIL was. This was in 1907 and then in 1909, Freud called Jung's ideas about parapsychology "Sheer Nonsense!" and things began to get only worse after that.

Jung says that it was the love triangle that was a very important part in his break with him and also that he felt Freud placed authority above truth in regards to exploring parapsychology.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Jung lost respect for Freud because of Freud's deceptive infidelity, that's part of their split that had nothing to do with their professional lives.

And Jung was unfaithful himself, right? - Or at the very least sleeping with his clients, which is possibly worse than cheating on a spouse.

Oh and regarding Freud and parapsychology, Freud happened to take telepathy seriously :rolli:

heart

heart on fire
And Jung was unfaithful himself, right? - Or at the very least sleeping with his clients, which is possibly worse than cheating on a spouse.

Oh and regarding Freud and parapsychology, Freud happened to take telepathy seriously :rolli:

Hey, I am just relating what I read Jung say. I make no defense of how balanced or fair it was. :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Incidentally, what is SIL?

succubussister-in-law

But Jung was an N, so everything he did was okay!
And Freud was an S, so everything he did was evil!

(You know how mystics think.)

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
I appreciate the humor, Jen. :devil: :D

Now my curiosity takes over though: Your think he's S?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I appreciate the humor, Jen. :devil: :D

Now my curiosity takes over though: Your think he's S?

Yes, I thought Freud was an S. He's quite the empiricist, who then adds a great deal of pseudo-N talk to the data. (He started out as a hardcore data collect for... what was it... hysterectomy patients?)

Many of his ideas seem to be comprised of bits and pieces of data taken from his research but then connected in illogical or inconclusive ways and treated conclusively. N's tend to start with a framework and piece data into it.

I'd at least give him a TJ rating.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Well E, T and J are given to most (i know a few who want him introverted but hey). I'm curious though, please indulge me and I'll get around to my point in a minute: What do you think of Aristotle's type then? :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well E, T and J are given to most (i know a few who want him introverted but hey). I'm curious though, please indulge me and I'll get around to my point in a minute: What do you think of Aristotle's type then? :)

I don't know. I haven't really studied the Greek philosophers in detail enough to be sure of each.

(I know Socrates was very much a mentor-type, as opposed to other philosophers who were more introverted... but really, my knowledge about their personalities is very spotty.)

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
ok, well then my idea is that aristotle is to plato as freud is to jung. I'm sure you know this piece by raphael:

raphael_athens_plato.jpg

anyhow, it's an interesting point: is freud an empiricist because he's an S or is he an empiricist because he was one of the most technically gifted ENTJs in history and he knew that to break the ground necessary to bring psychology into the realm of science then he had to take the empiricist approach. if you look at the works freud produced at his leisure, then they almost certainly point to N than is, his biography of Da Vinci, his theory of Moses etc.

to me, the most probable way to make freud an S would be to say that he ripped nietzsche off (which he was actually asked if he had done at one point), that is - adopted nietzsches ideas into an S framework.

Last edited:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I thought Freud was an S. He's quite the empiricist, who then adds a great deal of pseudo-N talk to the data. (He started out as a hardcore data collect for... what was it... hysterectomy patients?)

Many of his ideas seem to be comprised of bits and pieces of data taken from his research but then connected in illogical or inconclusive ways and treated conclusively. N's tend to start with a framework and piece data into it.

I'd at least give him a TJ rating.

My impressinon is that Freud is an INTJ. His system is very intuitive and unprecedented. I don't agree with much of Freud, but his ability to perceive the unconscious is about as hardcore N as I know about. To be able to perceive that in a world where no one did? Doesn't that require iNtuition? He also understood how to elicite information out of people. He understood about how to draw out projection, use stream of consciousness, make connections between people's deep internal symbols. Dream imagery is all about reconciling paradox. Freud was an Ni. Freud was a profound, if at times mistaken, thinker. The one pitfall of iNtuitives is that they may develop an exhaustive, abstract system that is pure unto itself, but doesn't fit perfectly with reality and the concrete world. Hats off to Freud as our poster boy for this. ;) It is also important to note that most every leader of thought in the early twentieth century was wildly dogmatic, and expecting absolute allegience from their followers. This is true whether it is psychology, harp technique, science, politics. There was so much change in the twentieth century, that people would find a new idea and cling to it with the fervor of a long standing tradition. That was all they knew to do.

I need to read more, but i have suspicions that Jung is an INFJ.

I've been going through my psych book with personality hypothesis. :) Most are actually extroverts and there are some hardcore Sensors as well. It's kinda interesting. These two here though are Ni dominant imo.

heart

heart on fire
succubussister-in-law

:D

But Jung was an N, so everything he did was okay!
And Freud was an S, so everything he did was evil!

(You know how mystics think.)

Jung did make a point that it was the dishonesty about Freud's affair that bothered him the most.

I am not condoning anything that Jung did in his private sex life or making a value judgement one way or the other on Freud and his private sex life.

I do agree with what Jung says in the book about individuality and the dangers of groups, I do find his work on personality, dreams and anima/animus fascinating.

I am making no guesses about their types.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
but his ability to perceive the unconscious is about as hardcore N as I know about. To be able to perceive that in a world where no one did? Doesn't that require iNtuition?

not to start a fight or anything but kierkegaard, nietzsche and schopenhauer all talk of the sub-concious

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My impressinon is that Freud is an INTJ. His system is very intuitive and unprecedented. I don't agree with much of Freud, but his ability to perceive the unconscious is about as hardcore N as I know about. To be able to perceive that in a world where no one did? Doesn't that require iNtuition?

Meh. I completely disagree. You are approaching it from an outside-in, I am approaching it from the inside-out, so we're both dragging some of our biases into it, I suppose.

S's can "emulate" N and N's can emulate S. It's just that usually both tend to be bad at the emulations... or they just use it in service of their true function preference.

Freud comes off like a pseudo-N to me. He develops N-style theories but in an S way. It's much like a conspiracy theorist -- many of them are invariably S's whose [weak] intuitions are just being used to support their paranoia and S-style perspectives of the world around them.

I never found Freud very "profound" like I find Jung; and maybe in that comparison you can see them as very different animals. Jung is about as N as you can get. It's one reason why Freud was so furious, I think.

But then again, we all know I have trouble telling the difference between INTJs and ESTJs. :)

I need to read more, but i have suspicions that Jung is an INFJ.

The basic arguments are:
1. In some ways, he seems very INFJ (and I think a case could be made for it).
2. However, Jung classified himself as an introverted Thinker (IxTP).

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
the question of jungs type will never die. he is a present claimed by intp, intj, and infj

he said himself that he was an introverted intuitive type who also used thinking.

in mbti terms that would be INTJ

i personally regard him as an INTP, though. his endless technical reservations whenever he wants to say something being a signature trait of the intps.

then there's also my pet theory: that jung had TWO superior functions :nice:

heart

heart on fire
Since he was into mysticism I would have to say if he was a thinker he was INTJ.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
then there's also my pet theory: that jung had TWO superior functions :nice:

Sigh... Jung knew what he was doing, didn't he? I really need to create my OWN personality theory -- where I inadvertently am the pinnacle of human existence!

[Tosses Jung into the file folder that includes Jesus and Hitler and others...]

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
not to start a fight or anything but kierkegaard, nietzsche and schopenhauer all talk of the sub-concious
No that's a good point. There was a precedent set. I don't think that significantly changes what i was saying. My hypothesis of Freud's contributions in working with the subconscious implying iNtuition isn't significantly different if his contribution was less unprecendented.

Jennifer said:
The basic arguments are:
1. In some ways, he seems very INFJ (and I think a case could be made for it).
2. However, Jung classified himself as an introverted Thinker (IxTP).

I realized that while in the shower. My familiarity is greater with MBTI than Jung. What stands out to me from what i know is that Ti is a process of selecting the most accurate axioms and then forming the most ideal thought based on rigorous logic and the dismissal of everything that doesn't stand the test of scruntiny.

What i've read of Jung so far is that he tends to embrace a wide range of things, is drawn towards the most subjective of systems, seeks to embrace and then form connections. That is my thought process which i have understood is N based. I wonder if Jung is Ti dominant, what would Ni dominant look like if not like Jung? I'm certainly not going to suggest he's different than he claims, but it does lessen the role of logic and dismissal as an important aspect of Ti. I think the idea of INTP must have evolved since his time?

[Tosses Jung into the file folder that includes Jesus and Hitler and others...]
Ha. Well that settles it. Isn't there a great big red tag on that folder that reads INFJ? Btw i think Ghandi, Marilyn Manson, Robert Deniro, and Bambi are also in that folder.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ha. Well that settles it. Isn't there a great big red tag on that folder that reads INFJ? Btw i think Ghandi, Marilyn Manson, Robert Deniro, and Bambi are also in that folder.

hee -- my file folder was just labeled "Beings with a commonly disputed type" .. but you're right, they're all beings considered for INFJ label! (You forgot Johnny Depp, btw. :) )

Bambi? Bambi has a personality? Thumper had a personality... but Bambi? :shock: