• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Freud/Jung's Type

hommefatal

And Jung was unfaithful himself, right? - Or at the very least sleeping with his clients, which is possibly worse than cheating on a spouse.

Oh and regarding Freud and parapsychology, Freud happened to take telepathy seriously :rolli:
Sleeping with his clients? That sounds awesome to me.

hommefatal

I think all people who claim MBTI is wrong are cowards. If you're 50% on everything it may be true that there's no definite type for you. But you act a certain way, you aren't a serial murder today and the messiah tomorrow. It helps you to get along with others but if you change your behaviour all the time people won't be able to handle you. You need to stop mixing up your dreams and reality. Otherwise it's no surprise if there's no 'accurate' type.

hommefatal

Types are not definite. They can change and there are gray areas. They help you interpret behaviour and become more self-assured.

malava2008

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, I am new to MBTI, but I think the types of both Freud and Jung can be characterized by their relationships and how it ended.
My suggestion: their relationship was a NT/NF Death Spiral.
Let me suggest options:
Freud might be ENTP - definitely Extroverted, an iNtuitive able to invent a number of concepts and work with concepts (like contentiousness) that were invented before him, definitely a Perceiver - he didn't stick to the theories/methods/ways of thinking that were typical to his own Victorian times. Thinker? Well, I don't have enough information about that, but based on Freud's behavior, I can conclude that he was an extremely competitive, smart and innovative man. I think his Judger like attitude towards Jung ideas can be explained by his personal feeling of rivalry and arrogance, that are typical to ENTP.
Jung might be an INFP - there were posts in this thread, that were supporting this position.
So, I suggest, in the end, it were their personal relationship that really drew them apart. And I think the fact that for Jung the fact that Freud slept with one of his patients was SO important, definitely shows very strong values of Jung, that points out to his very well developed Feeling personality.
Also, thought I don't know how the theory was created in details, it seems to me that it has to be an xNFP who created it in the first place- as it is complex, conceptual, and extremely PEOPLE oriented. Such strong attention to people, and the fabric of society is also one of the defining points of xNFPs.
Thanks for attention!

malava2008

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, I am new to MBTI, but I think the types of both Freud and Jung can be characterized by their relationships and how it ended.
My suggestion: their relationship was a NT/NF Death Spiral.
Let me suggest options:
Freud might be ENTP - definitely Extroverted, an iNtuitive able to invent a number of concepts and work with concepts (like contentiousness) that were invented before him, definitely a Perceiver - he didn't stick to the theories/methods/ways of thinking that were typical to his own Victorian times. Thinker? Well, I don't have enough information about that, but based on Freud's behavior, I can conclude that he was an extremely competitive, smart and innovative man. I think his Judger like attitude towards Jung ideas can be explained by his personal feeling of rivalry and arrogance, that are typical to ENTP.
Jung might be an INFP - there were posts in this thread, that were supporting this position.
So, I suggest, in the end, it were their personal relationship that really drew them apart. And I think the fact that for Jung the fact that Freud slept with one of his patients was SO important, definitely shows very strong values of Jung, that points out to his very well developed Feeling personality.
Also, thought I don't know how the theory was created in details, it seems to me that it has to be an xNFP who created it in the first place- as it is complex, conceptual, and extremely PEOPLE oriented. Such strong attention to people, and the fabric of society is also one of the defining points of xNFPs.
Thanks for attention!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From the horse's mouth (that horse being Carl Jung). In the video below, go to the 8:45 mark. He says, "I most certainly was capitalized by thinking...and I had a great deal of intuition too. And I had a definite difficulty with feeling." Then he goes on to describe himself as a sensor-tard :D.

There are more interviews on youtube out there....I recall a quote from him somewhere in which he said he felt he needed to sacrifice his superior Thinking to develop his iNuition, which again suggests T-dom and N-aux.

Jung took a much more positive view to a person's internal world with his concept of introversion, compared to Freud who saw connection to the unconscious as a mental illness. I suspect this is because he was an introvert and valued his own inner world. I don't think much argument needs to be made for him being an introvert though...

I think that all of this clearly indicates TiNe for him, with inferior feeling, making him an INTP in MBTI terms. I also think what he says about Freud in this interview (there are 4 parts on youtube) suggests ETJ for him...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD-W-1z_qco&feature=player_embedded#!"]Carl Jung's Type[/YOUTUBE]

Starting at 4:56, the TiNe mindset seems apparent to me also....Jung basically says needs a reason to believe in something, and then the possibilities will be considered.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90VXHjQREDM&feature=related"]Jung's Type 2[/YOUTUBE]

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see how he's showing Ne. He's focused on one vision, one Platonic ideal, one fixation. And it's gazing into the unknown, the hidden, the obscure. It seems very Ni to me. That, and he describes himself as utterly failing at Sensing, which would suggest S-inferior. INTPs, especially adult INTPs, are quite good at Si (and indeed fairly Si-reliant). And his description of what does exist of that S function strikes me as Se - a focus on the immediate, the present, the visible external reality.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Freud: ENTJ 5w6
Jung: INTP 9w1 Sx/Sp

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jung's Personality Types already makes me think of Ni dom Ter Ti.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see how he's showing Ne. He's focused on one vision, one Platonic ideal, one fixation. And it's gazing into the unknown, the hidden, the obscure. It seems very Ni to me. That, and he describes himself as utterly failing at Sensing, which would suggest S-inferior. INTPs, especially adult INTPs, are quite good at Si (and indeed fairly Si-reliant). And his description of what does exist of that S function strikes me as Se - a focus on the immediate, the present, the visible external reality.

He created this theory, and he says himself that thinking was strongest for him. Tertiary Ti in INFJs is NOT that strong. He seems to refer to his first two functions as T & N, with lesser use of F & S, but he doesn't say what attitudes they have. Now, if we're looking at "irregular" function order, and if he is an extreme introvert (which I really do not know...), then maybe he is Ti-dom & Ni-aux, but then what is his extroverted function still? It doesn't have to be Fe or Se....it could very well be Ne, and that's why he's such a sensor-tard. In that case, he'd still be closer to an INTP in MBTI. Or it could be Fe, which would make him something like an INFJ.

Frankly, I think I do see Ne though. He was inspired to create/write Psychological Types by his parting with Freud, because he felt it was basically due to personality differences. He got ideas from perceiving possibilities behind external things. He even says that unlike Freud, he preferred to be in doubt, whereas once Freud had his mind made up, that was it. Jung's approach sounds Pe to me; hold off on forming beliefs until enough info has been taken in.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Frankly, I think I do see Ne though. He was inspired to create/write Psychological Types by his parting with Freud, because he felt it was basically due to personality differences. He got ideas from perceiving possibilities behind external things. He even says that unlike Freud, he preferred to be in doubt, whereas once Freud had his mind made up, that was it. Jung's approach sounds Pe to me; hold off on forming beliefs until enough info has been taken in.

So you think he gets ideas from the external because he holds off on forming beliefs?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you think he gets ideas from the external because he holds off on forming beliefs?

No, reread what I wrote. I gave a specific example of an idea he got from an observation of something external, namely his relationship with Freud; it's in the videos, if you even watched them.... The forming beliefs part is a separate point, also in the video.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I gave a specific example of an idea he got from an observation of something external, namely his relationship with Freud; it's in the videos

His relationship with Freud is an example of an idea from observation of something external? Could you quote it or point me to the minute:second?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He seems to refer to his first two functions as T & N, with lesser use of F & S, but he doesn't say what attitudes they have. Now, if we're looking at "irregular" function order, and if he is an extreme introvert (which I really do not know...), then maybe he is Ti-dom & Ni-aux, but then what is his extroverted function still? It doesn't have to be Fe or Se....it could very well be Ne, and that's why he's such a sensor-tard. In that case, he'd still be closer to an INTP in MBTI. Or it could be Fe, which would make him something like an INFJ.

These are good points. :yes:

He created this theory, and he says himself that thinking was strongest for him. Tertiary Ti in INFJs is NOT that strong.
This is not. :nono:

First off, people fuck up their self-perceptions all the time. It leads to, for an example, balding middle-aged men thinking they're hot studs, buying beemers, and stalking cheerleaders. And tertiary functions can actually be very strong -- I thought for the longest time I was Ne-dominant, remember? ;) The tertiary usually develops around the early to mid 20s, and based on my observations it seems to often develop earlier in very intelligent people.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From the horse's mouth (that horse being Carl Jung). In the video below, go to the 8:45 mark. He says, "I most certainly was capitalized by thinking...and I had a great deal of intuition too. And I had a definite difficulty with feeling." Then he goes on to describe himself as a sensor-tard :D.

There are more interviews on youtube out there....I recall a quote from him somewhere in which he said he felt he needed to sacrifice his superior Thinking to develop his iNuition, which again suggests T-dom and N-aux.

Jung took a much more positive view to a person's internal world with his concept of introversion, compared to Freud who saw connection to the unconscious as a mental illness. I suspect this is because he was an introvert and valued his own inner world. I don't think much argument needs to be made for him being an introvert though...

I think that all of this clearly indicates TiNe for him, with inferior feeling, making him an INTP in MBTI terms. I also think what he says about Freud in this interview (there are 4 parts on youtube) suggests ETJ for him...

Starting at 4:56, the TiNe mindset seems apparent to me also....Jung basically says needs a reason to believe in something, and then the possibilities will be considered.

I listened to this entire interview several months back and I heard him say he was an INTP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
His relationship with Freud is an example of an idea from observation of something external? Could you quote it or point me to the minute:second?

Er, you twisted my wording into something else again....

Anyway, I think it might be in one of the videos I did not post...I don't have time to watch them again & find the exact time. At one point, he mentions how his break with Freud inspired the idea for Psychological Types. It occurred to him that the main reason behind their disagreements was their different ways of thinking.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://marcbeneteau.com/2009/07/carl-jung-writing-on-loneliness-meaning-and-purpose/ (the last section of memories, dreams, and reflections)

quotes lao-tzu and infj 5w4 sx/sp holderlin. writes about ultimate meaning, being, the source of everything, meaningfulness vs meaninglessness, connected vs separated.

the daimon is the sx/sp energy pulling you away from moderation, constant seeking, endless need for growth, expansion, intensity. same as 5w4 sx/sp nietzsche.

Ni is the function obsessed with the unknown in which the unreal takes precedence over the real. the inklings that tease us, that make us feel separate, alien, unchartable. the thick fog that prevents us from seeing anything, until we encompass all fog and let it coalesce and condense and pass cycle after cycle in our own goddamned interiors. while, in the meantime, we can see everything or we can see absolutely nothing but the ether encompassing us, representing us, as myst.

the fool rushing ahead to the dismay of others, the leaving fallen comrades with a sorrowful shrug, the unending search for consistency that runs contrary to the blood flowing within us and the spotlight of our intense interest that we cannot control-- these things terrify and haunt me. and i feel unequipped to handle them as faith, as destiny, is my only imperfect but elusive solution. the need for acceptance (of an unreal, imaginary destiny) amidst the impossibility of belief (see 5w4 infj sx/sp wittgenstein).

infj 5w4 sx/sp. there's no Ji solidity. there's only change, uncertainty, the unknown, a return to the source, a recognition of the continuity of existence. and a hope that ultimately, meaning wins in some grandiose cosmic scale unavailable to our consciousness, but that in each moment of meaning, in each new metaphysic, we feel like we somehow win, we have something, some new triumph of meaning, to celebrate as our own.