• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tom Petty

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Probably ISFP. I love, love his lyrics, and I've always thought he was sexy. I'll take one, whatever type he is. :smile:

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Because he liked films and books and records? Get a grip.

There's more to it than that! If he was a savage ISFP, he would enjoy getting the shit beaten out of him by his father and partaking in violent activities. Plus ISFP's notoriously hate the arts.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's more to it than that! If he was a savage ISFP, he would enjoy getting the shit beaten out of him by his father and partaking in violent activities. Plus ISFP's notoriously hate the arts.
Upon further consideration, I think this is correct. I do remember when reading Jung that he related Se with the pleasure of abuse from a paternal figure; it is a very complex psychology commonly observed in Se users. Conclusion: He is not ISFP.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Errrr...ISFPs are supposed to be probably THE most artistic type? (which would match up with any experience I have of them?). I assumed that was supposed to be a joke, about them hating the arts?

I could go with ISFP for Mr Petty.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Errrr...ISFPs are supposed to be probably THE most artistic type? (which would match up with any experience I have of them?). I assumed that was supposed to be a joke, about them hating the arts?

I could go with ISFP for Mr Petty.
We're mocking themarlins' ridicolous assumption that he's not ISFP because.. I don't know what his argument was to be honest, that Tom Petty likes books and music and not sports?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, ok. ;)

I think a great many musicians and artists are ISFP and ISTP. It seems to fit well.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. Dylan, Neil Young, Mozart, Frank Zappa, (possibly) David Bowie, Iggy Pop, ISxP's all.

sherryjaye

Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald, not to mention Zelda Fitzgerald, Agatha Christie, and William Wordsworth were all "good with words" and S.

I did a little research and got different results than you on two of them. Here's what I found. Ernest Hemingway: ESTP; F. Scott Fitzgerald: ENTP; Zelda Fitzgerald: ESFP; Agatha Christie: INFJ; and William Wordsworth: ISFP.

sherryjaye

Typing Tom Petty

Tom Petty has been my favorite musician since his first album in 1976. I've watched a lot of his interviews. The man is not an introvert.

I found an article at idrlabs.com called "How to Fail at Typing Musicians." Its author says that trying to type a musician from his/her songs rather than him/her as a person will never give an accurate type.

In my opinion, you can't type them from how they are in concert, either. Most solo singers -- from operatic divas to R&B singers to rock stars -- have a performing persona. It's something that they put on for a show and take off when it's over. You have to watch or read interviews.

When I searched for it, I found Petty typed as both ENFP and ESFP. I think he was an ESFP. He seemed like the class clown type. He was a total goofball. Look at some early photos. You can see it in some of them. You can also see it in a concert he did for, I think, MTV. I don't know how long ago.

Heres the link to the article: https://www.idrlabs.com/articles

Last edited:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
When I searched for it, I found Petty typed as both ENFP and ESFP. I think he was an ESFP. He seemed like the class clown type. He was a total goofball. Look at some early photos. You can see it in some of them. You can also see it in a concert he did for, I think, MTV. I don't know how long ago.

If you were deciding between ENFP and ESFP, wouldn't a class clown/goofball persona indicate the NP side of things?

Regardless, I just watched some of this interview and I'd vote for INFP.

He has an outwardly neutral, pointed/emphatic way of speaking, with inward emotive draws paired with an indefinite wavering.

The part of the interview from 1:36 shows an Fi-Ne-Si-Te order of processing, going from personal connection, to brainstorming and memory recall, finishing up with process-based reasoning.

He also reminds me of Marilyn Manson, who's probably an INFP.