• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

John Mayer / Dave Matthews

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^Dave does seem kind of 'S', lyrically speaking.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I always thought Mayer's lyrics were S, but he as a person was N.

mayer - definitely ExFx
matthews - definitely xNFx

agree?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Dave Matthews - ISTP. He's alright in my book. Under the Table and Dreaming is a great album. It's the Dave Matthews Band's first album, and they haven't put out anything out that compares since.

John Mayer - I'm not sure that he deserves an MBTI type, maybe he's ISFP.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i must say, that its hard to find an objective difference in Matthews physiognomy, compared to mine. it's a bit featureless, almost babyface, so that ain't saying too much. but generally it's a alien type triangle (which is okay for introverted perceivers meaning Ni or Si dominants). compared to me, he has much more macho genes going on, on a subtler level. testosterone or something. this sort of strength pushes him to T or to S in my mind. also Fi dominant people can sometimes be very strong, juicy, stout. i am also very much reminded of our very handsome INTj member Metamorphosis (see "picture time"). however matthews has the nose and eyes of the man himself, VIN DIESEL. (enfj/entj in my book). i like to think that infx are more sensitive, but i have seen one or two exceptions. if you must push him into the NF world, i would rather like to see him as wolverine type of enfj.

Dave Matthews - ISTP

since i confuse istp and enfj all the time (or is it you, guys?) i would also add istp to the list.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Meh, I'm a fan of a combo of Crash and Before These Crowded Streets songs, moreso than Under The Table and Dreaming.

Not really sure where you get ISTP though. Lyrically, the songs are very NF. Lots of "what if" contemplations and idealistic dreaming of different worlds. Can also vary depending on which band member has a hand in the songs I guess though.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Lots of "what if" contemplations

i would be curious to see a quick example of a confirmed NF scribbling, which is illustrating this "what if contemplation" ...

i am not the left brained language person, like some NF who had more even oestrogen in the womb (referring to articles that have been linked on this forum a few days ago - i believe in context of autism, but about scientists and finger lenght) ... so my lyrics are not representative, for sure.

but they are very descriptive of the situation and how it makes me feel. where it is taking me. what will be in it four you. ("how does it make you feel" ... reminds me of a AIR song with a funny robot) .... much like your typical punkrock song, just very emo.

i can only see "what if" in extroverted intuition.

i am "what if - challenged" to say it in American PC style.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
dave-matthews.jpg

Can you have a brow furrow like that without some serious Ti going on?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
dave matthews is NOT infj. nowhere is any aspect of him infj. isfp or esfp make some sense. so much Se, lots of Fi, not a single fucking idea in any of his songs. enneagram 9w8?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm really curious of Dave Matthews' type.
I say John Mayer's ENFP.

His lyrics never seemed very N to me, and the music itself is much more about the notes themselves and being immersed in the experience rather than being "transcendent," I don't see a lot of "big picture" thinking in how a song holds itself together structurally.

I honestly haven't read much on the guy, but I would first look at ISFP.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Dave is IXFP. Definitely I and F. I go back and forth between S and N.

MBTI Type
INFP
John Mayer's an NFP for sure. He's perhaps the only famous person for whom I'll say that he actually reminds me too much of myself in a lot of good and bad ways (and no, I'm not that good looking -- and he's actually motivated). Actually, I can't think of a single trait that we share. I go back and forth on the E/I front, mostly because of the song "Home Life".

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
mayer's likely extroverted but not sure about the rest since i know little about him. he blabs a lot about his relationships to the press which is tacky.

dave is probably introverted and intuitive. probably borderline t/f leaning more towards f and i'd say perceiving (very laid back).

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpV99DQfj0s"]dave[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ8c96NoI_g&feature=fvw"]cow farts[/YOUTUBE] :laugh:

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Dave Matthews has a big head.

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
John Mayer's an NFP for sure. He's perhaps the only famous person for whom I'll say that he actually reminds me too much of myself in a lot of good and bad ways (and no, I'm not that good looking -- and he's actually motivated). Actually, I can't think of a single trait that we share. I go back and forth on the E/I front, mostly because of the song "Home Life".

?

I hate John Mayer. He can't be INFP! Noooo. Well, to be honest my reasons for disliking him are silly, but my negative impression of him is strong and unyielding. I know he has lyrics like "waiting for the world to change" and stuff but I actually don't buy any of that from him. There is something cynical about him and the way he presents himself. There is not nearly enough angst. There is no softness and sensitivity. He also thinks he is clever and fancies himself a raunchy comedian from time to time. I bet he's friends with Dane Cook.

Okay, I just looked it up and the results are tainted by the fact that Jessica Simpson dated both of them but I just bet they are. And saying "Dane Cook" is about as close as I come to profanity. Oh I just know I'm being unfair cuz I don't know anything about John Mayer at all, I just know I don't like him.

lindberg711

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'd say with about 99% certainty that Dave Matthews is an ISFP.

Explanation -

I - He would spend hours alone as a child, just thinking, and often expressed his inner struggles through music. He was also naturally afraid of performing, but excelled at it obviously with time.

S - Fits the mold of Sensing perfectly, as he is very much focused on the here and now and is known for his sensate expression in performances.

F - Clearly a feeler, Dave's lyrics and personality indicate that he feels intense emotions on the inside. He is driven to find the pure and ideal.

P - Definitely a perceiver, as he does not prefer a structured environment at all and did not excel in the education system.

ISFP Profile
Read the top section of that, and it is a perfect explanation of Dave's personality.

Finally, I am an ISFP myself and have always closely identified with Dave's music in a profound way.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'd say with about 99% certainty that Dave Matthews is an ISFP.

Explanation -

I - He would spend hours alone as a child, just thinking, and often expressed his inner struggles through music. He was also naturally afraid of performing, but excelled at it obviously with time.

S - Fits the mold of Sensing perfectly, as he is very much focused on the here and now and is known for his sensate expression in performances.

F - Clearly a feeler, Dave's lyrics and personality indicate that he feels intense emotions on the inside. He is driven to find the pure and ideal.

P - Definitely a perceiver, as he does not prefer a structured environment at all and did not excel in the education system.

ISFP Profile
Read the top section of that, and it is a perfect explanation of Dave's personality.

Finally, I am an ISFP myself and have always closely identified with Dave's music in a profound way.

I'm inclined to agree with you now. Used to think NF, but was probably seeing a lot of tert Ni.