• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

John Mayer / Dave Matthews

lindberg711

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If you ask me, John Mayer is more of the mystery personality than Dave. I would say he naturally an introvert based on his song writing, but he overcompensates by acting overly extroverted in an attempt to cover up his insecurity. He is more self-absorbed and tends to see things more black and white than Dave does. I would say John Mayer is an ISTP.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If you ask me, John Mayer is more of the mystery personality than Dave. I would say he naturally an introvert based on his song writing, but he overcompensates by acting overly extroverted in an attempt to cover up his insecurity. He is more self-absorbed and tends to see things more black and white than Dave does. I would say John Mayer is an ISTP.

John Mayer is not even close to ISTP. Jack White is ISTP. Watch a video of him joking around or something.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
After watching Mayer's interview with entj Ellen on youtube, I agree with some of the others that Mayer is an istp. He gets to way too much to the point for an infp. Total supervisor relation going on.

White's a bit trickier because he seems really emotional, but his music is like a building structure, brick by brick. His music videos follow the same pattern; they don't really skip any steps. istp looks like the best choice here.

Matthews is an isfp. His music is filled with thick unnecessaries right out of the jungle: dude with pretzel dreadlocks in a hockey uniform playing paddycake drums with 19 other guys honking away on random horns on a pizza spinning around, balanced on his head by a pencil, while Matthews warbles away with the same vocal projection a Springsteen locked in a freezer.

lindberg711

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
People either feel a connection with Dave's music or don't I've found.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
People generally don't care what's playing. Just as long as it's good, i.e. "passed my genes along."

lindberg711

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Watch Live at Radio City. You will have a better appreciation. Sometimes I can see how listeners would hear DMB studio work as cluttered. However, everybody is incredibly talented in the band. Being a drummer myself, I have a full respect for the abilities of Carter Beauford. One of the very best in the industry today. Anyways, sorry to get off-topic all...

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Actually, after more thinking/comparing, I think Mayer is an isfp. I see a lot of Matthews in him.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I still think it's something else that Dave Matthews did a song for an Adam Sandler movie.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think ya'll are lookin too deep. Look at first glance. Nothin' alike. They both play acoustic guitar. That's it. After all, NJs sometimes seem like sensors.

Mayer ENFP, Dave INFJ.

I get an Ne vibe from Mayer, the same I get from Nellie Mckay.

And I just get an IJ vibe from Dave. IJs are P's in disguise. They're messy, and get their ideas from god-knows where. His music comes from somewhere deep, and we all know he's an IxFx. SJ? no. SP? maybe. NP? no, I'm an INTP 4 who identifies more with INFPs than INTPs.

so either ISFP or INFJ

lindberg711

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, IF for sure. I still think Mayer is naturally an introvert though. He actually suffered from social phobia as a child.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To argue isfp for Matthews, it's funny that his name is dropped in the middle a string of other isfps in this line from wiki: "Since 2000, Matthews has been one of the board members of Farm Aid along with Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, and Neil Young."

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, IF for sure. I still think Mayer is naturally an introvert though. He actually suffered from social phobia as a child.

I used to date an ENFP who had pretty bad social phobia. I have those "where did that come from" moments when I watch John Mayer speak (in terms of his humor) and I think that's a dominant N thing.

To argue isfp for Matthews, it's funny that his name is dropped in the middle a string of other isfps in this line from wiki: "Since 2000, Matthews has been one of the board members of Farm Aid along with Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, and Neil Young."

And Dave's favorite songwriter, come to think of it, David Gray seems pretty ISFP.

lindberg711

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I used to date an ENFP who had pretty bad social phobia. I have those "where did that come from" moments when I watch John Mayer speak (in terms of his humor) and I think that's a dominant N thing.

And Dave's favorite songwriter, come to think of it, David Gray seems pretty ISFP.

Very Interesting. Please forgive me if I sound arrogant at all, I am relatively new to all this. You have a very solid point. So are we in agreement that Dave is an ISFP then?

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Very Interesting. Please forgive me if I sound arrogant at all, I am relatively new to all this. You have a very solid point. So are we in agreement that Dave is an ISFP then?

Either that or INFJ imo.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

But look at him now. When he jokes around on the mic or in interviews or whatever its like a constant flow of ideas. Sounds ExxP to me.

lindberg711

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
But look at him now. When he jokes around on the mic or in interviews or whatever its like a constant flow of ideas. Sounds ExxP to me.

True but it could be just a developed skill or mask. You have to address the differences between natural inclination and learned skills.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think Mayer is enfp now. Could this be an enfp/isfj interaction? YouTube - John Mayer interview on ROVE (Australia) 2009

I also see some Yao Ming, who I've previously guessed as enfp, in him.

Also, why not intp for White? In this Big Day Out interview, he mentions liking mars volta and sleater-kinney, both bands made up of infjs. Kind of a strange coincidence. I wonder about meg, too.