• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kate Bush

What is Kate Bushs' type

• INFP

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • INFJ

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • ISFJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ISFP

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • INTP

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • INTJ

• ISTP

• ISTJ

• ENFP

• ENFJ

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • ESFP

• ESFJ

• ENTP

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • ENTJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• Total voters

yeghor

Who's that ?
ENFJ ?

Kate Bush is difficult. IxFx.
Went out running in the snow a few times with her album "50 words for snow" on, which was truely intense. Big fan. Great musician, very enigmatic.

Dolores O'Riordan of Cranberries...

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Dolores O'Riordan of Cranberries...

Oh yeah. You're thinking ENFJ as well for her ? makes sense. Many lyrics full of Fe. Always about 'the other person'.

But to me, Kate Bush seems more reserved than you seem to think. She hasn't toured since 1979 or something. I think her stage & public persona is ENFJ, but that she really might be an INFJ. Writing a song from the perspective of a novel character sounds like a NiFe thing to do (as Rosabel pointed out..in 2012).

yeghor

Oh yeah. You're thinking ENFJ as well for her ? makes sense. Many lyrics full of Fe. Always about 'the other person'.

But to me, Kate Bush seems more reserved than you seem to think. She hasn't toured since 1979 or something. I think her stage & public persona is ENFJ, but that she really might be an INFJ. Writing a song from the perspective of a novel character sounds like an NiFe thing to do.

No I was wondering what dolores' type might be?

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
No I was wondering what dolores' type might be?

I get an Ne and Fi vibe from this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYmCw6MfBo
She seems also more reserved than I imagined her.
Dunno, I feel like I'm pinpointing her based on short and superficial observations. So your thoughts ?

You make some plausible points on Kate Bush when I come to think about it. I used to think extraversion and introversion are the easiest to distinguish, but they're sometimes very deceptive.

yeghor

I get an Ne and Fi vibe from this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYmCw6MfBo
She seems also more reserved than I imagined her.
Dunno, I feel like I'm pinpointing her based on short and superficial observations. So your thoughts ?

You make some plausible points on Kate Bush when I come to think about it. I used to think extraversion and introversion are the easiest to distinguish, but they're sometimes very deceptive.

There's clearly a tint of Se in her... She looks tough... I was wondering whether she was an ISxP...

About Kate Bush, she reminds me of a female coworker... This coworker had a habit of trying to close the friendship distance faster than its normal pace...like forcing rapport and intimacy on someone...and expected every male to be charmed with her... I felt suffocated around her... And her smile felt fake\plastered...

So Kate's eyes, smile and overall demeanor reminds me of her... I don't know which type does that... But I seem to be blind when it comes to detecting ENFJs...

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think INFP, based on numerous interviews and her art (especially her lyrics). Overall, I get an impression of abstract Feeling (Fi) and concrete iNtuition (Ne) rather than NiFe. Her style of expression seems so different from most INFJ musicians; her imagination seems expansive, whimsical, and pulling things in from a hundred different directions, playing off of them and making them uniquely hers by processing them through Fi and giving them vibrant and idiosyncratic emotional color. INFJ imagination is more heavily abstracted/removed from its input, and in my experience comes across as less whimsical and playful and more focused and intense. The links from external input to internal vision are much harder to trace.

You'll find that INFJ music tends to have a focus not only on people, but also some overarching idea, web of concepts, connecting people to the universe, cosmos, and how we all play a role within this massive web and how we could avert natural disasters (ex. Muse's song Unsustainable).

Yeah, I thought about something like this: how INFP art, while it can be tremendously imaginative, tends to focus more exclusively on the human realm* and INFJ art tends to have more of a transcendental/universal aspect*, and this is partially why I got the impression of Kate as an INFP.
*In general, not always.

INFPs sometimes write about existential or societal issues as well, but compared to INFJ writing there's less of an aerial view of the issues themselves and how they affect humanity at large; the INFP approach is more personal and more about the effects of those issues on an individual (sometimes the songwriter herself) who can be viewed as a microcosm. The personal approach seems more like Kate Bush's writing style to me.

I find most INFP music to be alternately playful and emotionally intense/moody. (4w5 leans more toward the heavy side; 4w3 is pretty balanced, and 9w1 is lighter/airier.) I perceive most INFJ music as more serious and showing a more intense vision, but as also containing less intense emotion.

Some general patterns I've seen in INFJ vs. INFP writing (there are always exceptions):
I agree with the people who said that writing songs from a character's point of view is more common among INFJs, but INFP songwriters do it too sometimes - Tori Amos and Kurt Cobain come to mind. The difference is that INFJs tend to use a macrocosmic approach - they often write characters as symbols that represent either aspects of humanity (that link and define people, as opposed to what defines a particular individual) or universal concepts that relate to the human condition. If they write from the point of view of an already-existent character or person, they normally are attracted to that story/person because they find some symbolic significance or illustration of universal truth in them. INFPs don't usually turn characters into symbols - concepts aren't the point; the character's story/experience is. Instead of linking a character outward to something cosmic or to humanity in general, INFPs "link in" by using their own complex feelings as a map to empathize with and dig deeply into the character. This can lead to insights about what's universally human as well, but it's more like putting a magnifying glass over a tiny section of humanity that most people can find in themselves, rather than taking patterns perceived in humanity in general and transplanting them into a character. Also, when INFPs write about a character or person that already exists, they normally choose them because they find a strong personal/empathic pull or fascination towards them, or they can relate to them somehow (not necessarily in a situational or concrete way).
Even though writing such a large percentage of one's songs from the point of view of a character is more common for an INFJ songwriter, Kate's writing style still strikes me as more INFP. This is mostly based on my subjective interpretations of her work though; someone else might view it differently. I haven't heard her talk much about her motivations for choosing certain characters and the details about how she writes them, so the INFP typing is still tentative.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I thought about something like this: how INFP art, while it can be tremendously imaginative, tends to focus more exclusively on the human realm* and INFJ art tends to have more of a transcendental/universal aspect*, and this is partially why I got the impression of Kate as an INFP.
*In general, not always.

INFPs sometimes write about existential or societal issues as well, but compared to INFJ writing there's less of an aerial view of the issues themselves and how they affect humanity at large; the INFP approach is more personal and more about the effects of those issues on an individual (sometimes the songwriter herself) who can be viewed as a microcosm. The personal approach seems more like Kate Bush's writing style to me.

I find most INFP music to be alternately playful and emotionally intense/moody. (4w5 leans more toward the heavy side; 4w3 is pretty balanced, and 9w1 is lighter/airier.) I perceive most INFJ music as more serious and showing a more intense vision, but as also containing less intense emotion.

Some general patterns I've seen in INFJ vs. INFP writing (there are always exceptions):
I agree with the people who said that writing songs from a character's point of view is more common among INFJs, but INFP songwriters do it too sometimes - Tori Amos and Kurt Cobain come to mind. The difference is that INFJs tend to use a macrocosmic approach - they often write characters as symbols that represent either aspects of humanity (that link and define people, as opposed to what defines a particular individual) or universal concepts that relate to the human condition. If they write from the point of view of an already-existent character or person, they normally are attracted to that story/person because they find some symbolic significance or illustration of universal truth in them. INFPs don't usually turn characters into symbols - concepts aren't the point; the character's story/experience is. Instead of linking a character outward to something cosmic or to humanity in general, INFPs "link in" by using their own complex feelings as a map to empathize with and dig deeply into the character. This can lead to insights about what's universally human as well, but it's more like putting a magnifying glass over a tiny section of humanity that most people can find in themselves, rather than taking patterns perceived in humanity in general and transplanting them into a character. Also, when INFPs write about a character or person that already exists, they normally choose them because they find a strong personal/empathic pull or fascination towards them, or they can relate to them somehow (not necessarily in a situational or concrete way).
Even though writing such a large percentage of one's songs from the point of view of a character is more common for an INFJ songwriter, Kate's writing style still strikes me as more INFP. This is mostly based on my subjective interpretations of her work though; someone else might view it differently. I haven't heard her talk much about her motivations for choosing certain characters and the details about how she writes them, so the INFP typing is still tentative.

I notice this microcosmic approach to Kate's writing which is closer to INFP style than INFJ style writing. There's a more personal approach and focus on individual dynamics. INFJ and INTJ writing from an individual character's perspective tends to take on a symbolic approach. There's often an overarching main idea or central moral to the story that INxJ music is conveying, a symbolic device to deliver that message. There is also the feeling of trying to reach out to others to feel empathy for the other character (INFJ especially). Ni-Ti lends itself to abstraction of even people to a symbolic macrocosm. I feel Kate's writing is more INFP like than INFJ. :)

utopianfish

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4/3
INFP 4w3.
Representative songs to study her personality:
Wedding list (on vengeance)
Under the ivy (infp-ish flow)
The fog (exuding infp-ness)

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
9w1 sx/sp. Riso and Hudson mistyped her as a 4w3.

She *should* be an INFP, but my instinct says ISFP.