• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

LOTR character classfication(based on the movies)

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Im sure this topic has been nagged to death and picked up lots of times in MBTI forums but i'd like to pick it up again.

Inutive Characters
Gandalf: INTJ.
Saruman:ENTJ.
Elrond:INTP.
Sauron: xNTJ.
Aragorn:INFJ
Galadriel:INxJ
Frodo:INFP(alternatively ISFP)
Arwen:ENFJ
Éowyn:ENFP

Sensor characters
Sam:ISFJ
Merry:Mature ESFP
Pippin:ESFP
Gimli:ESTP
Legolas:ISTP
Boromir:ESTJ
Faramir:ISFx
Eomer:xSTJ(leaning on ESTJ)
Denethor II:ESTJ(alternatively a depressed ENTJ)
Bilbo:XSTP
Gollum: Insane ESFP

Im sure the characters are portrayed diffrently in the book, but im too much of a lazy P to reread them all.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Aragorn:ISTP
Gimli:ESTJ
Legolas:INFJ
Gollum/Smeagol: INTJ/ESFP

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Aragorn- INFP- he's unsure about who he is and doesn't have the courage or strength to realize his destiny- the heir to the throne of Gondor, it takes him a while to realize this, as he's in self denial throughout the story until the end. Though it doesn't really show it, he is secretly having an inner conflict in himself- he doesn't know what to do about the ring, believe it or not.

Gimli-ESTJ

Legolas- I think INFJ

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gandalf: INTJ.
Saruman:INFJ
Elrond:INTJ
Sauron: ENTJ.
Aragorn:ISFJ
Galadriel:ENFJ
Frodo:INFP
Arwen:ENFP
Éowyn:ESFJ
Sam:ISFJ
Merry:ESTP
Pippin:ESFP
Gimli:ESTJ
Legolas:ISTP
Boromir:ESTJ
Faramir:ISFP
Eomer:ESTP
Denethor II:INFJ
Bilbo:ESFJ
Gollum:ENFJ
Theoden: ISTJ
Threebard: ISTJ
Haldir: ISTP
Grima Wormtongue: INTP
Tom Bombadil: ENTP

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
how do you guys figure that the women in this movie (with the exception of Galadriel perhaps) are E's?

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
how do you guys figure that the women in this movie (with the exception of Galadriel perhaps) are E's?

Well, my list based on the charastics i identified from the movies and compared them to MBTI types. The characters portrayed all seem well balanced between their extroversion/introversion(and do not express all traits), save for pippin and gollum who were very extroverted which can be attributed to the immatureness inherit in some esfps.

Eowyin: She is idealistic, rebellious, strong , She is very concerned about her own independence, and very keen to do something meaningfull, even doing a radical Impulsive thing like going to battle despite being ordered not to for her own well-being (Fi). She is inutive about people, f.ex, the scene when grima wormtongue tries to manipulate her, she see's through him and recoqnizes his intentions. Another time, she recoqnizes that aragorn has a woman(Again Ie), without having spoken a word.

Arwen: She is harder to type because the scenes with her are pretty brief, however some scenes gave hints. When Elrond gives her his anaylsis of her ultimate despair in the future, she see's the possibility of having a son(Ii), and she seems very F-ish with her irrational love-or die love for aragorn.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just watched the first movie for the 5th (?) time on TV.

Gandalf:INTJ *He is an extreme Ni user, with his speech to Frodo about not passing a death judgment on the living, for he cannot give life back to those who were judged wrongly to die...which out of context sounds F...but in the movie it all comes across as very Kantian and perspective based.
Saruman:ENTJ *He is directing, and initiating (in charge + NT)
Elrond:INTJ *He is directing, and responding (chart the course + NT)
Sauron: ENTJ *He is directing, and initiating (in charge + NT)
Aragorn:ISTP *He is directing, responding, motive oriented (which would be ISTP or INFJ)...he becomes more affiliative as the series/books unfold, but I feel its reluctant, and arrived at through aspirational forces (therefore ISTP)
Galadriel:ENFJ *She seems more outwardly affiliative and power driven (E + NF + Fe)
Frodo:ISFP *He seems to be very concerned with doing the right thing, but not really all that affiliative (Fi + SP)
Arwen:ENFJ *She seems more outwardly affiliative than an ENFP (FJ)

Sam:ISFJ *takes his duty very very seriously! (SJ)
Merry:ESTP *More logical of the two trouble makers (T + SP)
Pippin:ESFP *He seems rather playful (SP)
Gimli:ESTJ *He seems quite certain of his dwarf paradigm (SJ)
Legolas:ISTJ *He doesn't do much...follows along without a hitch (SJ)
Boromir:ESTJ *He seemed driven to gain the ring in order to protect his people (SJ)

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Ok, I agree with a few typings, but the majority I've seen so far are a long way off for me. I'm going more by the books, because numerous characters in the films were either given a completely different role and personality or simplified quite a bit to save space and change focus.

Here's mine, with a few explained in greater detail. If anyone wants me to justify an individual typing I'd be happy to have a go, it's too much work right now to provide a rationale for the lot, so I'm just going to note a few special cases:

The fellowship

Aragorn: ENFJ
Gandalf: ENTP (there seriously is no TJ about the man/wizard/maia! Very little forward planning in his leadership, and not much fondness for taking a leadership role at all, he generally only does so when pushed into it by others: his preference is for inspiring others to do the right thing by spreading his own wisdom, and setting a positive example with his own actions)
Frodo: INFP
Sam: ISFJ
Gimli: ISTJ
Legolas: Hard to be certain, but could be ENFP - this makes the unlikely friendship of opposites with Gimli gain significance too; they're probably opposite personalites as well as races.
Boromir: ESTP (ESTJ? Seriously, ppl!)
Merry: Seems like an Se dominant type in the movies, but the characters of the two younger hobbits are altered quite a bit for comic relief purposes. In the books it's hard to be certain, but he seems most like a mature ENTJ overall. He shows a lot of imagination and decisiveness when in a leadership position, most notably in the battle at the end of the book.
Pippin: Probably ESFP The N/S balance doesn't seem all that certain though.

Other characters

Theoden: ESFJ
Eomer: xSTP I'm not sure on the E/I balance, he seems slightly more E overall but seems to have quite a strong Ti.
Eowyn: ISFP Classic ISFP-ness!
Denethor: INTJ? (but could easily be INFJ; what's obvious more than anything is a lack of effective judgement of any kind as his Ni fuelled paranoia spirals wildly out of control)
Faramir: INFP (yes, a mature one!)
Arwen xNFP, she may seem more definitely extraverted in the movies.

Galadriel: ENTJ (This is much more obvious if you follow the course of her long life through Tolkien's other writngs. She's a dominant personality who loves to rule and create her own vision of order and perfection, she seems to be motivated by this above all. We mustn't take her refusing of the ring too lightly, it really is the ultimate temptation to her, and her rejection a sign of final maturity, coming to terms with her own nature and realising that the quest for ultimate power, if fulfilled, would make her no better than Sauron himself.)
Gollum: I'm not so sure we can type the crazies! I'm not even going to attempt him right now.

The riduculous Bombadil is definitely Ne dominant, probably ENFP
Bilbo seems quite ENFP too. Ne dom again in any case. It comes across more strongly in The Hobbit though.

Elrond is hard to type, but I would go with a mature INTx, with INTJ being first choice (he's been around thousands of years, he should be mature by now!)

Sauron is an obvious ExTJ but I'm not so certain which. He actually displays characteristics of both types at various points (more obvious in the Silmarilion and Tolkien's notes). In comparison to his very obviously ENTJ master Melkor (of whom Sauron was for a long time only a servant) he seems much more S. He's far more pragmatic and limited in his goals and only wishes to control the outward actions of others, in contrast to Melkor who ambitiously wished to bring the very substance of the world under his dominion. He seems also at times to not be very flexible in his thought and to stick rigidly to his preconcieved notions, as in his management of the war and total failure to project himself into the minds of his enemies. On the other hand he displays imagination and flexibility in bringing about the downfall of Numenor and infiltrating the Elves to learn the secrets of their rings. I can't decide either way.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Frodo- ISFP
Sam- ISFJ
Merry- ENTP
Pippin- ENTP
Bilbo- ISTP
Gandalf- INFJ (INTJ? Are you guys on something?)
Saruman- INTJ
Sauron- ENTJ
Aragorn- ISTP
Boromir- ESTP
Legolas- ISFP
Gimli- ISTJ
Elrond- INTJ
Arwen- INFJ
Haldir- ISTP
Galadriel- INFJ
Faramir- INTP
Theoden- ENTJ
Grima- INTP
Eomer- ESTP
Eowyn- ENFP
Treebeard- ESFJ
Smeagol- ESFP
Gollum- ISFP
Denethor- ISTJ

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gollum is not really a J (therefore making him not a T either), and not too inventive. ISFP seems like the best fit. Besides, Gollum isn't really Smeagol's shadow -- That'd indicate they're the same persona. Smeagol suffers DID, and Gollum is his alter.

KDude

He's way too buddy-buddy to be ISFP.

Anyways, I'm only saying it's an INTJ shadow (i.e. completely dysfunctional).

KDude

I hate carrying on about it, but I think he's too vicious and talkative for ISFP as well...and scheming, whatwith trying to lead frodo to that spider's cave. I'm not sure why some think Eowyn's ENFP either. She doesn't say much. She stands in the back when other characters strategize, she hangs around by herself practicing with her sword..she quietly disobeys her father and sneaks into battle, and then finally after being fairly low key, she stands out because she's physically adept. and her ideas aren't exactly brilliant in a certain light. she impulsive. even gandalf is scared of the witch king.

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
* Aragorn gives me an infj vibe.

* Frodo... infp. His connection with Gandalf and aragorn (both who I think are intuitive), to me, seems to point to an 'intuitive' connection.

There's a part in the first film, where Sam, Pippin and Merry are walking and Frodo suddenly says "get off the road". He put 2 and 2 together, and could intuitively 'feel' something bad was going to happen. I'm trying to think of more examples, but I haven't seen the films in years (although I do adore them).

* Arwen seems like an nf to me.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I love how most evil characters are ENTJ/INTJ. :laugh:

------------

wrong thread :doh:

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Gandalf doesn't appear to be a Te type at all. Nor, for that matter, does he seem like an Ni type. Ne is much more obvious. He doesn't lead or take command in the conventional sense if he can help it (others push him into it sometimes, but that's another matter). His plans, such as they are, are always subject to change, and he would rather transmit his vision of the truth to others to inspire them into action than give specific orders. He reacts quickly in conversations and appears to get a lot of enjoyment from verbal byplay and witticisms, which suggests a strong, and likely dominant Ne at work. His conversations are highly interactive and show a lot of improvisatory one-upmanship in the Ne, and particularly ENTP style, not in the J style of plainly stating one's position from the outset. To take a good example, from the start of The Hobbit:

'Good morning' said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat.
'What do you mean?' he said. 'Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?'
'All of them at once,' said Bilbo."

(...)

" 'We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them,' " [Bilbo]

" 'Good morning!' he said at last. 'We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water.' By this, he meant the conversation was at an end.

'What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!' said Gandalf. 'Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off.' "

xSTJ is plain silly for old D; he gives very strong indications of Ni dominance, though I'd agree he's a J type. A strong, self-contained character and subtle thinker, he doesn't give much away (witness his lengthy probing of Merry to get information and irritate Gandalf).

He seems particularly good at forming conclusions from limited information, which he tends to keep to himself and reveal it, in a very forceful and definite manner, at the time of his choosing - this is very characteristic Ni dominance, I would have thought. This is very obvious, for instance, when he demonstrates his insight into Aragorn and their real purpose for being here; the fact that it is somewhat slanted with a negative assessment of their motivations makes it no less remarkable, given how little substantial information he has to go on:

"You think you are wise, Mithrandir, yet for all your subtleties you have not wisdom. Do you think the eyes of the White Tower are blind? I have seen more than you know. With your left hand you would use me as a shield against Mordor, and with your right you would seek to supplant me! I know who rides with Théoden of Rohan. Oh yes! Word has reached my ears of this Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and I tell you now I will not bow to this Ranger from the North, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship."