• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WATCHMEN

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
So dudes, what are their types?

My predictions for your (typology central public) interpretations:

Rorschach: INTJ
The Comedian: ESTP
Dr. Manhattan: INTP
Veidt: ISTP/INTJ (I think it'll be mostly a split)
Miss Jupiter: INFJ

So, what do you guys think?
Feel free to type other characters too.

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
I personally think of Rorschach as an SJ. ISXJ. Probably more thinking.
"ISTJs are often called inspectors. They have a keen sense of right and wrong, especially in their area of interest and/or responsibility. They are noted for devotion to duty. Punctuality is a watchword of the ISTJ." from TypeLogic.
Seems to fit him...

Jon/Dr. Manhatten probably is an INTP, and I can see The Comedian as an ESTP.
The rest I'm not sure about.

What about Nite Owl?

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
I see Rorschach as a total F. In all honesty, I believe a T would at least think about the solution at the end of the story, instead of dismissing it as wrong.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I see Rorschach as a total F. In all honesty, I believe a T would at least think about the solution at the end of the story, instead of dismissing it as wrong.
Pious adherence to truth even in the face of certain death is frequently a habit of the Ti type.
[archetype hyperbole]
What was so F about how he was more in favor of risking almost certain nuclear war over telling the truth. All he saw were his values -- nothing to do with whether it'd cause pain to the human psyche, or even death.

Negative_

ive only read a bit of the comic book but i'd guess rorschach to be istj

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Rorschach: ISTP
Dr. Manhattan: INTJ
Veidt: ENTJ
Night Owl: ESTJ
Miss Jupiter (the daughter): ISFP

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Rorschach: ISTP
Correct. The boolean preference and staunch, uncompromising nature of Ti are well displayed by his character. Additionally low Si/high Ti is evidenced by the impossibility of the task of intimidating him. He is afraid of nothing.
While he is highly intuitive, we can't call him an N_P because none of his intuitions are extroverted. And as if that weren't enough, his reaction and thorough and rapidly updated awareness of his environment scream S_P.
I can understand where the confusion comes in, but he is clearly Ne dominant. His gross behavior is overwhelming and more consistent with the usual habit of attitude of stereotypical ESTPs, but when you hear him talk, it's obvious that his attention is less focused on the concrete and more toward the abstract. Look at the things he discusses -- he never talks about anything. His dialog seems compelled to objectify abstract things like problems (the one quote where he put Veidt down) among other examples.
ENTP.
Dr. Manhattan: INTJ
This one is just obvious...
Veidt: ENTJ
Correct.
Night Owl: ESTJ
No way... he's so nostaligic and shy... avoids being obtrusive (rarely an ESTJ thing). He's definitely an introvert.
Miss Jupiter (the daughter): ISFP
It's good that you see she's not an intuitive.
I actually predicted before the showing of the movie that everyone would guess NF because of these two rules:

1. She's a woman
2. She's the only woman

Gross habit - the assumption is, the resident lead emotive character in any movie, especially if that character is female, is that they're an NF.
It's not always true guys.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good topic, I've been pondering this myself recently. I'm re-reading the graphic novel in anticipation of the movie. Here are my guesses, including their Enneagram types as I find these easier to assess for the Watchmen:

Rorschach: definitely an introverted judging type, his morals and values are pre-eminent. He demonstrates tertiary Ni (paranoia, lateral thinking, conspiracy theorist), which makes him either ISTP or ISFP. At the moment, I'm tending toward the latter because his feelings are so contained yet intense, but ISTP is also a good fit.
Enneatype is much easier: 1w9. Quite unhealthy: "The Punitive Avenger".

Ozymandius: ENTJ. Into self-improvement, delusions of grandeur, organisational genius.
Enneatype: 3w4 "The Self-Made Achiever".

Silk Spectre II: best guess ISFP. Values privacy, sensual, very spontaneous.
Enneatype: 2w1 "The Companion".

Nite Owl II: ISFJ. Friendly, shy, nostalgic, hero-worships others.
Enneatype: 9w1 "The Peacemaker".

Dr Manhattan: can only be INTJ: emotionally detached, intellectual, fascinated by the deep structure of reality, perceives time as simultaneous.
Enneatype: 5w4 "The Observer".

The Comedian: I also think he is ENTP. Outgoing, aggressive, abstract thinker, amoral.
Enneatype is easy: 8w7. Quite unhealthy, therefore: "The Self-Serving Bully".

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
Pious adherence to truth even in the face of certain death is frequently a habit of the Ti type.
[archetype hyperbole]
What was so F about how he was more in favor of risking almost certain nuclear war over telling the truth. All he saw were his values -- nothing to do with whether it'd cause pain to the human psyche, or even death.

Sorry, I'm just really starting to get into functional analysis, but I assumed that was Fi. I probably would have done the same thing if I was in his position. EDIT: So I doubt that decision is restricted to T types only.

xx00oo00xx

MBTI Type
Ixxx
I don't get why Dr. Manhattan is a J, not a P. He only made the decisions he had to, he really didn't plan anything himself. And despite the fact that he could see far enough into the future to know what was gonna happen (even when the long-term was cloudy), he always seemed to second guess what was going to happen and worry instead of moving decisively with what he had. He almost seemed like he was what every INTP wishes he or she could be. Yes? No?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't get why Dr. Manhattan is a J, not a P. He only made the decisions he had to, he really didn't plan anything himself. And despite the fact that he could see far enough into the future to know what was gonna happen (even when the long-term was cloudy), he always seemed to second guess what was going to happen and worry instead of moving decisively with what he had. He almost seemed like he was what every INTP wishes he or she could be. Yes? No?

All of what you bring up is entirely the result of being introverted.

P and J, if they come into play here, are only responsible for the fact that Manhattan took on the responsibilities he did have -- the J being more inclined to take on that kind of a project.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I go by overall look and feel, not particular function use -- because everyone is unique and can (and does) develop functions that aren't normal for their type. We're all deviations that way.

Rorschach: ISTJ, although Paranoid/Antisocial disorder is probably playing strongly there and makes him very J.

Ozymandius: probably ENTJ.

Silk Spectre II: ISFP.

Nite Owl II: ISFJ.

Dr Manhattan: INTx

The Comedian: ESTP, pretty quintessentially. He and Ozy would have had much more in common if he had been an N. He's not transcendent in the ways that N's are, he's engaged and immersed in the world around him.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
All of what you bring up is entirely the result of being introverted.

P and J, if they come into play here, are only responsible for the fact that Manhattan took on the responsibilities he did have -- the J being more inclined to take on that kind of a project.

I think the balance is there. People may assume his concept of time is a strong indicative of Ni dominance, however that was exactly what he saw, it wasn't really intuitive perception and imagining a future possibility, it was actually seeing a future possibility. Dr. Manhattan is so difficult to type for the same reason God is difficult to type: he isn't really human anymore. If anything, you can argue P simply because he sees what will happen...and passively allows things to take their course. I think if a J could see the future, he would force that reality to happen through action instead of waiting for it to come. I think because of his ability to see effects before causes occur [to us at least] essentially makes a J or P discussion irrelevant, since J and P partially describe how one does effect the external world.

The Comedian: ESTP, pretty quintessentially. He and Ozy would have had much more in common if he had been an N. He's not transcendent in the ways that N's are, he's engaged and immersed in the world around him.

I'm with Nocap on this one. Ne dominant, when he burns the map during that first meeting, his whole diatribe is full of doomsaying. Veidt actually says in the novel that The Comedian was the only one who fully understood the world as it was and shares Veidt's understanding of humanity, but unlike Veidt who wanted to be it's savior, The Comedian simply accepted it and immersed himself into its reality for pleasure.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I think the balance is there. People may assume his concept of time is a strong indicative of Ni dominance, however that was exactly what he saw, it wasn't really intuitive perception and imagining a future possibility, it was actually seeing a future possibility. Dr. Manhattan is so difficult to type for the same reason God is difficult to type: he isn't really human anymore. If anything, you can argue P simply because he sees what will happen...and passively allows things to take their course. I think if a J could see the future, he would force that reality to happen through action instead of waiting for it to come. I think because of his ability to see effects before causes occur [to us at least] essentially makes a J or P discussion irrelevant, since J and P partially describe how one does effect the external world.

Cosmic Awareness tends to defy accuracy in classification, as the act itself is outside of our shared experience to reasonably describe. In that sense, it's causally similar to evaluating profound mental illness against an MBTI standard.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
IIf anything, you can argue P simply because he sees what will happen...and passively allows things to take their course.
Again, this could be the result of introversion. I've never seen an INTJ who takes everything head on. They'll no doubt be very strong in their individual charges, but even if they are aware or anything outside of these, they're likely to do just that -- act "P".
I think if a J could see the future, he would force that reality to happen through action instead of waiting for it to come.
If only you could perceive time like he could...
I think because of his ability to see effects before causes occur [to us at least] essentially makes a J or P discussion irrelevant, since J and P partially describe how one does effect the external world.
How about this: He sees how everything will be, because he knows when to act and when to wait.

I'm with Nocap on this one. Ne dominant, when he burns the map during that first meeting, his whole diatribe is full of doomsaying. Veidt actually says in the novel that The Comedian was the only one who fully understood the world as it was and shares Veidt's understanding of humanity, but unlike Veidt who wanted to be it's savior, The Comedian simply accepted it and immersed himself into its reality for pleasure.
Yeah, this isn't even a question.

He's engaged and immersed, sure, but it's only as he's making himself an analogic mockery of his culture. His awareness is still pretty global, even when he appears to be consumed by his immediate circumstance.

Actually, my suspicion is, he only wants to be what he appears to be, but I might be kind of biased in saying that.

I still think I'm right.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
The Comedian: disgruntled ENTJ

Dr Manhattan: INTJ

Ozymandias: Slight E, ENTJ

Nite Owl II: Slight S, ISFJ

Silk Spectre II: ISFP

Silk Spectre I: ESFP (J?)

Rorschach: ISTJ

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I can understand where the confusion comes in, but he is clearly Ne dominant. His gross behavior is overwhelming and more consistent with the usual habit of attitude of stereotypical ESTPs, but when you hear him talk, it's obvious that his attention is less focused on the concrete and more toward the abstract. Look at the things he discusses -- he never talks about anything. His dialog seems compelled to objectify abstract things like problems (the one quote where he put Veidt down) among other examples.
ENTP.
Yeah I can see this too. To me he often talks like an ENTP, but he is very engaged in his environment. He's a character that doesn't precisely fit into one type, but he's pretty close to ENTP or ESTP.

No way... he's so nostaligic and shy... avoids being obtrusive (rarely an ESTJ thing). He's definitely an introvert.

Shy does not mean introvert. There are plenty of shy extraverts. Bright tech-oriented ESTJ's usually tend to be pretty shy. In his case, his shyness has more to do with lack of confidence than introversion. On the other hand his huge obsession with using technology shows him to be Te dominant.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Shy does not mean introvert. There are plenty of shy extraverts. Bright tech-oriented ESTJ's usually tend to be pretty shy. In his case, his shyness has more to do with lack of confidence than introversion. On the other hand his huge obsession with using technology shows him to be Te dominant.
I assure you I'm aware of the fact that shyness hasn't got a direct connection with extroversion. But shy combined with nostalgic is actually rather alluding. It makes Si really obvious.

Technology has nothing to do with Te.
Neither has obsession.
Actually obsession with any one thing is more likely from introversion (subject vs. object dynamic).

I really don't see how you even see Thinking. He didn't make the technology, he just happens to use it because he could afford it.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
So dudes, what are their types?

My predictions for your (typology central public) interpretations:

Rorschach: INTJ

Rorschach was not an INTJ, he was a disillusioned ISTJ.

No INTJ would be so bent up on morality, and stubbornly doing "the right thing" (at the end of the movie) even if it fucks up everything else.

And I can't believe some people saying that Dr Manhattan is INTJ. That guy was as INTP as they get (i.e. his search for knowledge and understanding without any other purpose aside from obtaining knowledge and understanding).