• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Punk Rock

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
"Punk" seems to be a vague combination of NF idealism and SP rebelliousness. Some fans/bands seem NFish, they stay "true" to DIY ethos and completely free from the "system", while others seem more SPish having fun, rebelling for the heck of it and are ok making money while they're at it. This is an obvious source of conflict/resentment. Do you think this split could be influenced by temperament as I've shown?

Have a go at typing some punk musicians and bands...

What type was Joe Strummer? AWESOME?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
"Punk" seems to be a vague combination of NF idealism and SP rebelliousness. Some fans/bands seem NFish, they stay "true" to DIY ethos and completely free from the "system", while others seem more SPish having fun, rebelling for the heck of it and are ok making money while they're at it. This is an obvious source of conflict/resentment. Do you think this split could be influenced by temperament as I've shown?

I really like Punk- I'd label Rage Against the Machine punk, ONLY because it matches what you described, not for how it compares to other punk. I find common ground between SP rebelliousness and NF idealism, as I have both in me..

Fuck the system! Fuck the corporate world!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just watched The Ramones documentary a few weeks ago. End of The Century.

Trying to type them... ohh Dee Dee.

Yeah. I'd say Joe Strummer was AWESOME.. :yes:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

My 2 cents: the Clash

Joe was an INFJ.

Mick - ESTP (and totally hilarious... also a creative genius)

Paul - ISFP (why he was so chill and artistic and sweet)

Other people like say, Henry Rollins, I would guess as an ESTP, along with Johnny Rotten. Billy Idol, ESTP. Anyone else think Sid Vicious was an ISFP?

I think that punk got it's fuel and fire power from SPs, frankly. Who else would want to change the world and actually have the chops to do it?

NOTE: totally with your estimation, Quin!

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Punk is an ESTP flailing his arms to a chord progression written by an INFJ.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Joe was an INFJ.

Yes I've thought so too, why do I idolise INFJs so often? :doh::D

I think my favourite Joe Strummer wannabe Tim Armstrong is an ISFP.

Punk is an ESTP flailing his arms to a chord progression written by an INFJ.

Haha that's good.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok I'm going to give this a whirl...

Johnny Ramone - ISTJ

Dee Dee Ramone - ESFP

Joey Ramone :wubbie: - either INFJ or IxFP

Tommy Ramone - I'm having a bit of trouble. I'd say ESTJ or ENTJ.

Marky Ramone - ENxP?

The other drummers... ehh.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
true street punk is vomited by estp + istp, but luckily there is also nice punk, which ranges all over NF

attached rancid :steam:

and Tom DeLonge :wubbie: (enfp)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i sort of like turbonegro. cant type them though

(they have such a great sound. along with hellacopters, gluecifer and backyard babies, but they are more entertaining)

never want to be in a room with any of them

nanook

a scream in a vortex
punks are supposed to kill themselves with drugs.
-> What We Do Is Secret (2007)
(not the best movie, but nice clishee acting by shane west)

hippies change the world. except, when they forget about it, the other day.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
this is german punk rock icon campino (die toten hosen)

should be easy to type by his well defined face
(if you had any reference).

another entp?
there is something about him, that makes me think of sensing. like mccain. he is also borderlining feeling. and why do i have to think of kenau reeves?

he likes to be seen as philosophically inclined, but did his punk duty (almost killed himself with drugs, before he became a popular late night talk show guest).

nanook

a scream in a vortex
this is zimbl, singer from "the bates", probably the second best-known punk band in germany. (died, not sure how)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes I've thought so too, why do I idolise INFJs so often? :doh::D

Because he was a rare beautiful human? :( He's the [only] idol I've got, so I know what you mean.

INFJs can take on a mythical aspect when they're really clicking. I assume it's their internal Aragorn complex?

I really loved watching "Westway" because I got to know Paul and Mick better. Paul is adorable. Talk about sensitive, tough-minded, and artistically alive. He's responsible for their strong reggae influences. ISFPs can be such mysterious benevolent characters. Plus he was always adding visual interest to their look. The boy went to art school, after all. :D

I didn't mention Topper, but he's ISFJ, I think?

(BTW, I'm listening to "Cool N Out" in your honor, Q! :D)

Wait, are we still talking about punk rock?

Pat Smear, anyone?

Richard Hell? X? The Damned? Suicide?

Probably all STPs.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Richard Hell? X? The Damned? Suicide?

Probably all STPs.

My point being none of them actually changed the world :)

I have a sort of love/hate relationship with punk. Some of them are such deluded posers it's not even funny. And punk is very much about the "soul" of it, for me. [/babbling]

nanook said:
-> What We Do Is Secret (2007)
(not the best movie, but nice clishee acting by shane west)

hippies change the world. except, when they forget about it, the other day.

lol, yeah

Did you know Shane West is going to be the new vocalist for The Germs in real life?