• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

• ISFP

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • ESFP

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • INFP

• ENFP

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • ISTP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESTP

• INTP

• ENTP

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • ISFJ

• ESFJ

• INFJ

• ENFJ

• ISTJ

• ESTJ

• INTJ

• ENTJ

• Total voters

deleted
I hear ISFP but I don't know. Was he arrogant? Does Fi really fit as his primary function? I could agree with some decent points made. And the movie is obviously a fabrication, am I right?

Gauche

I hear ISFP but I don't know. Was he arrogant? Does Fi really fit as his primary function?

Dunno, I've never met him.

Well, I try to say that I don't know anything about his personality. We have no direct evidence.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know where the S typing comes from. I am skeptical about it. As a child Mozart invented complicated imagined worlds and so on, for example, making the S typing seem weird. People might type him S because of his music, but it's easy to forget the historical context in which he wrote it. Mozart was part of the Classical period, characterized by simplicity. Compared to his contemporaries Mozart was making much more complex and inventive music, and people don't give him enough credit for that. Mozart contributed greatly in the progress towards romanticism, and probably only Beethoven made a greater contribution.

deleted
I see how ENFP could be. I believe Mozart and Beethoven are of an equal contribution towards romanticism, for Beethoven in the whole did not contribute, but his heart and too his classical influence, Mozart.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I hear ISFP but I don't know. Was he arrogant? Does Fi really fit as his primary function? I could agree with some decent points made. And the movie is obviously a fabrication, am I right?

Amadeus? God yes!

Entertainment, not fact, or even really trying to be. It was based on a play of the same name by Peter Schaffer, NOT direct biographical detail.

I would go with EN-P for Mozart, maybe leaning slightly towards ENFP. Details may follow if I can be bothered.;)

deleted
Sanguine seems to be the theme of the votes so far, since it corresponds to ENXPs and ISFPs.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I know nothing about Mozart but clearly his music was far to complex for a feeble S mind to create.

From Wikipedia:

He enjoyed billiards and dancing, and kept pets: a canary, a starling, a dog, and also a horse for recreational riding.[69] Particularly in his youth, Mozart had a striking fondness for scatological and sexual humor (actually not so unusual in his culture and times), which is preserved in his many surviving letters, notably those written to his cousin Maria Anna Thekla Mozart around 1777–1778, but also in his correspondence with his sister Nannerl and his parents.[70] Mozart even wrote scatological music, the canon "Leck mich im Arsch" (literally "Lick me in the arse", sometimes idiomatically translated "Kiss my arse" or "Get stuffed") K. 231.

Total SP!! :D

heart

heart on fire
ENFP with inferior/shadow Se coming out making him go on binges of pleasure seeking in between times of being detached from reality into a fanatsy world of music. Anyway that's my guess.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Yes, many say ISFP because they think music = S, but I really think that he was more intuitive. Putting the functions together, he was definitely an ENFP.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've made this analysis before, but my estimate is ENTP based on the structure and content of his work. He uses Ne to gather a diverse array of raw materials and Ti to synthesize these logically. There are some indications from his personal life to support it, but his music is not a direct expression of his emotional states in the way Schubert's was.

Our modern ears do not hear his music in the context of his time. What Mozart did that was revolutionary was to switch between styles almost measure by measure. He followed the Baroque period in which aesthetics were ruled by the "affections". There were generalized moods and each piece was written to uniformly express one affection through the choice of mode, motives, and overall styles. If you listen to the opening of the Jupiter symphony, you can hear Mozart switching from overture style, to singing style, to sturm und drang. This was shocking and disorienting to his listeners. My position is that this is an example of using Ne to gather a diverse array of musical impressions and then weave these together using the pristine logic of Ti. He also conceived of the work internally. He worked it out in his head before putting it down on paper. His music, possibly more than anyone's, can be analyzed and reduced to perfect fractal patterns using Schenkerian analysis. It is in many ways an abstraction of pure logic.

Those are the cliff notes on Mozart. The facts about Mozart's music are not my own devising. My references are from various texts, and I can look these up as needed. The application to MBTI is my own surmising.

heart

heart on fire
Would a Thinker say this: "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius."

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would a Thinker say this: "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius."
hahaha I would pay good money to see that.*

My analysis is based primarily on his work. We may have one of those rare moments when a person can feel and think logically at the same time. ;)

Actually, that is how I would define the art of composition - a person who can feel and think logically at the same time. It is highly structured sound designed to abstractly convey some aspect of the human experience by recreating some aspect of that experience.

*Disclaimer due to current F/T tensions - I don't mean it as a diss. just that it's unexpectedly dramatic.

medica

MBTI Type
ENTP
My first thought when I read the topic, was: "Could he be anything but an ENFP?"

heart

heart on fire
hahaha I would pay good money to see that.

My analysis is based primarily on his work. We may have one of those rare moments when a person can feel and think logically at the same time.

They talked about this with Spielberg, that great artists and great men probably have developed their functions to higher degrees than other people do. Who knows? :)

But creativity doesn't seem to come to some in logical, intentional...Like sitting down and saying "Okay, create!"... it seems to come in sudden flashes, sometimes as whole pieces, in film strip fashion etc. Mozart spoke that his best work came to him quiet moments riding in carriages etc. Could have come to him from his unconscious mind?

Chloe

i'm enfp, and i usually say this.

he could be ISFP though, but its wrong to think of him as isfp only because he was musician.

and above statement sounds more NF.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They talked about this with Spielberg, that great artists and great men probably have developed their functions to higher degrees than other people do. Who knows? :)

But creativity doesn't seem to come to some in logical, intentional...Like sitting down and saying "Okay, create!"... it seems to come in sudden flashes, sometimes as whole pieces, in film strip fashion etc. Mozart spoke that his best work came to him quiet moments riding in carriages etc. Could have come to him from his unconscious mind?
Creativity does require the ability to access the unconscious mind. Even the fractal patterns I mention that are evident when analyzing his work likely never entered his conscious thought. Schenkerian Analysis was invented after Mozart had lived and died. Great art contains deep structure that extends beyond what a conscious mind is likely to process. In many ways, I think that is the heart of genius.

In order for deep structure to be present throughout the mind, it is necessary for years of logical thought and training to internalize patterns so deeply that they become second nature. Mozart's training like other great artists was rigorous on top of his natural talent.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm not sure if he's N or S, though I typed him as ISFP. How the hell can anyone possibly think Mozart was a T, though?

"I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings."

Unless Mozart was lying, or there's some obscure scrap of possibility that I hardly feel like searching for right now, there's pretty much no way he could've possibly said that without being an Fi user.