• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DN's Author Type List III

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Good, good, but reasons?

Well, Flaubert was an introvert, as well as a notorious perfectionist (which isn't inherent to just INTJs, I know), but he seemed driven to reaching some ideal perfection in his work, and his novels have a foreboding element to them, as if their inevitable conclusions had been predetermined.
Although he's often associated with naturalism, he had a bent toward romanticism and from his letters, it's apparent that he was a very conceptual person - I would say these hint toward INxJ.

The reason I go with INTJ, is because his prose is impersonal, pessimistic, and at times, employs a very caustic wit, and based on his hatred for the bourgeois (and almost any form of social Utilitarianism), as well as his convictions toward government and religious concerns, suggest Fi.

(not to mention his infatuation with prostitutes indicate inferior Se)

Rimbaud is difficult to type, because there seems to be three personalities for him. From accounts I've read of his personality, he appears to be a very caustic, cruel, charismatic yet unlikeable ENTP. Yet, he writes like an INFP. But, the older Rimbaud, who dismissed his poetry and became a merchant trading weapons in Ethiopia, seems like an IxTJ.

As for Hopkins, I want to say INFJ - Due to the fact he became a Jesuit and that there seems to be an abundance of emotion in his poetry.

I'll add one more: Flannery O'Connor - INTJ (I'm pretty certain of this one).

Lotr246

Rethinking Joyce: In Ulysses, Bloom's message is "to love". Doesn't that seem Fe? Would an INFP embrace this, or more precisely, proclaim it as a "message"? I do realize I may be too general, but it should be considered. But then again, Stephen Daedalus in Portrait does seem like an unhealthy INFP. And Portrait was based on Joyce's life. What do you think?

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Rethinking Joyce: In Ulysses, Bloom's message is "to love". Doesn't that seem Fe? Would an INFP embrace this, or more precisely, proclaim it as a "message"? I do realize I may be too general, but it should be considered. But then again, Stephen Daedalus in Portrait does seem like an unhealthy INFP. And Portrait was based on Joyce's life. What do you think?

All I'm certain on is that Joyce is xNFx, Ulysses seems the work of an ENFP perhaps, but the semi-autobiographical Portrait makes him seem INFP, which I thought takes precedent. For the Fe messgae though, maybe for Ulysses Joyce was in touch with his INFJ side for it? Or maybe he's just a damn good writer able to write from the perspective of other types? Which bring us back to him being an INFP really, as only Portrait is (semi-)autobiographical.

Lotr246

All I'm certain on is that Joyce is xNFx, Ulysses seems the work of an ENFP perhaps, but the semi-autobiographical Portrait makes him seem INFP, which I thought takes precedent. For the Fe messgae though, maybe for Ulysses Joyce was in touch with his INFJ side for it? Or maybe he's just a damn good writer able to write from the perspective of other types? Which bring us back to him being an INFP really, as only Portrait is (semi-)autobiographical.

Actually, now I'm not so sure he "portrays" Stephen as an INFP. Joyce almost approaches his work at a conceptual level. Throughout each section, Stephen matures, and so does his language. Joyce seems to be showing how language creates our sense of consciousness. And then when Stephen leaves his community in the end, he's not leaving for personal reasons, but because he cannot find expression for his art, and ultimately himself. Upon leaving he expresses this: "forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race." This seems FJ. For now, I'm going to say xNFJ, but he's unlike many of the other writers we've typed so far on this list as that...or actually maybe he's not.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, now I'm not so sure he "portrays" Stephen as an INFP. Joyce almost approaches his work at a conceptual level. Throughout each section, Stephen matures, and so does his language. Joyce seems to be showing how language creates our sense of consciousness. And then when Stephen leaves his community in the end, he's not leaving for personal reasons, but because he cannot find expression for his art, and ultimately himself. Upon leaving he expresses this: "forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race." This seems FJ. For now, I'm going to say xNFJ, but he's unlike many of the other writers we've typed so far on this list as that...or actually maybe he's not.

Yeah it's weird because you put forward a really good argument, but Joyce really does not seem to fit in to the INFJ/ENFJ lists. I think that the INFP (maybe ENFP) ones suit him better. Plus Stephen is not necessarily Joyce. Only, Portrait draws heavily from Joyce's childhood experiences.

Lotr246

Yeah it's weird because you put forward a really good argument, but Joyce really does not seem to fit in to the INFJ/ENFJ lists. I think that the INFP (maybe ENFP) ones suit him better. Plus Stephen is not necessarily Joyce. Only, Portrait draws heavily from Joyce's childhood experiences.

That's what I thought too. That he's not really like the other writers in INFJ/ENFJ. Ulysses seems like Intuition gone mad, though. Whether it's Ni or Ne he expresses I'm not sure. Thanks for your responses.

One more thing! But I may be over-generalizing. Portrait, as a semi-autiobiography, to me, seems to be the expression of a concept. I would think an INFP who would write an autobiography would want to write for the sole reason of self-expression. The end each type seeks in writing seems completely different. I could be way wrong with this, though.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That's what I thought too. That he's not really like the other writers in INFJ/ENFJ. Ulysses seems like Intuition gone mad, though. Whether it's Ni or Ne he expresses I'm not sure. Thanks for your responses.

One more thing! But I may be over-generalizing. Portrait, as a semi-autiobiography, to me, seems to be the expression of a concept. I would think an INFP who would write an autobiography would want to write for the sole reason of self-expression. The end each type seeks in writing seems completely different. I could be way wrong with this, though.

Always good to debate these things. Even if it's just ruminating, we more firmly established Joyce's INFPness perhaps, and addressed other possiblities. This kind of thing is why I started this thread!

Perhaps, but he seems very much an NF to me. And remember, the guy is a genius.

heart

heart on fire

Point to Point Navigation: A Memoir was what made me think Gore Vidal is Fi/Ne/Si. In his historical novels, such as Burr, he focuses more on personality than on events. Events are there an he careful to be acurate and to note when he has not been acurate but it's the people who are the heart of the work, portrayed in vivid nuaince and detail, they are alive for us. This makes me think he is a Feeler.

excerpt of review on Amazon:

he essentially lets his memories flow at will, often revisiting yet again the stories of his Washington childhood. The general focus, however, is on the latter half of his life, particularly the deaths of those closest to him, including his longtime companion, Howard Auster.

Yet Vidal changes subjects and tone so frequently and abruptly—here tender, here combative—that the family memories and celebrity anecdotes become scattershot, limping to a close with a bizarre summary of somebody else's theory about how organized crime bosses ordered the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
INFP
Homer
Virgil
Miguel de Cervantes
William Shakespeare
John Keats
François-René de Chateaubriand
Washington Irving
Emily Bronte
Mary Shelley
Harriet Beecher Stowe
Walt Whitman
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Herman Melville
Henry James
James Joyce
Virginia Woolf
E M Forster
Aldous Huxley
George Orwell
Albert Camus
Jack Kerouac
Herman Hesse
John Steinbeck
Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Willa Cather
Tennessee Williams
Eugene O'Neill
Jean Rhys
A A Milne
Hans Christian Andersen
Beatrix Potter
Leon Bloy
Marcel Proust
Thomas Mann
J D Salinger
Kazuo Ishiguro
Chuck Palahniuk
Sebastien Faulks
Zadie Smith
Yukio Mishima
Bret Easton Ellis
Alan Moore
Alex Garland
David Foster Wallace
Terry Pratchett
Arthur Miller
Neil Gaiman
Haruki Murakami
Terry Brooks
Madeleine L'Engle
Jay McInerney
Harper Lee
James Herriot
Douglas Coupland
Dylan Thomas
Alice Walker
Lu Xun
Italo Calvino
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Allen Ginsberg
Gore Vidal
Michael Ondaatje
Chinua Achebe
Dave Eggers
Maya Angelou
Stephen King
Paul Auster
Novalis
Pat Conroy
Robert Frost
William Hazlitt
W B Yeats
Stephen Chbosky
Carson McCullers
Thomas De Quincey
Anna Sewell
Hubert Selby Jr
Irvine Welsh

INFJ
Geoffrey Chaucer
Dante
Goethe
John Milton
William Blake
Leo Tolstoy
Emily Dickinson
Robert Burns
Robert Louis Stevenson
George Eliot
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Nella Larsen
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Joseph Conrad
G K Chesterton
Charles Peguy
Simone De Beauvoir
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
W Somerset Maugham
Anthony Burgess
Graham Greene
Vladimir Nabokov
Harold Pinter
Gabriel Marcel
Guy Gavriel Kay
Stephen R. Donaldson
Piers Anthony
William Faulkner
Kurt Vonnegut
Tom Wolfe
Franz Kafka
Salman Rushdie
Anne Rice
Dan Brown
Milan Kundera
Ian McEwan
Angela Carter
Tom Stoppard
Agatha Christie
Gerard Manley Hopkins

INTJ
Jonathan Swift
Jane Austen
C S Lewis
T S Eliot
Ayn Rand
Samuel Beckett
Michael Crichton
Cormac McCarthy
Philip Pullman
Ernst Jünger
Norman MacLean
Wallace Stevens
William S. Burroughs
Ursula Le Guin
Gustave Flaubert
Ted Hughes
Philip Larkin
Frederick Douglass
Alexander Pope
J G Ballard
Flannery O'Connor
Juvenal
Henry Fielding

INTP
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Henry David Thoreau
Joseph Heller
Philip K Dick
Isaac Asimov
Martin Amis
Thomas Pynchon
Kingsley Amis
William Gaddis
Evelyn Waugh
Lemony Snicket
Will Self
Edgar Allen Poe
Donald Barthelme
Robert A Heinlein
H P Lovecraft
J M Coetzee
Umberto Eco
Neal Stephenson
Margaret Atwood
J R R Tolkien
P G Wodehouse

ENFP
Charles Dickens
Mark Twain
Charlotte Bronte
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Alexander Pushkin
D H Lawrence
Edith Wharton
L. Ron Hubbard
Ken Kesey
Joseph Campbell
Tom Robbins
Henry Miller
John Updike
Orson Scott Card
Upton Sinclair
Joan Didion
Alexander Dumas
J K Rowling

ENTP
Thomas More
Christopher Marlowe
Lord Byron
Lewis Caroll
Oscar Wilde
Truman Capote
Hunter S Thompson
Douglas Adams
Hilaire Belloc
Ray Bradbury
Roald Dahl
Diana Wynne Jones
Voltaire

ISFJ
William Wordsworth
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Louisa May Alcott
John Betjeman
Sylvia Plath
John Irving
Seamus Heaney
Thomas Hardy
Samuel Richardson

ISFP
Percy Shelley
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Anaïs Nin
Ian Fleming
Nick Hornby
Jeanette Winterson
Daphne Du Maurier

ENTJ
Jack London
George Bernard Shaw
Carl Sagan
Frank Herbert
Daniel Defoe

ESTP
F Scott Fitzgerald
Ernest Hemingway
Norman Mailer

ENFJ
Ivan Turgenev
Toni Morrison
Enid Blyton

ISTJ
Ben Jonson
Samuel Johnson
William Wycherley

ISTP
Dan Simmons

Last edited:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
DYNA!!!!!!!

Stop trolling.

heart

heart on fire
C. S. Forester INxJ, most likely INTJ.

But his portrayal of Horatio Hornblower has such depth of feeling and pyschology that it is hard to know.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What about Michel de Montaigne?

They get harder to type the further back you go...

"Montaigne is known for popularizing the essay as a literary genre. He became famous for his effortless ability to merge serious intellectual speculation with casual anecdotes" (Wikipedia) suggests ENTP... The list of people he influenced is largely NT. A sceptic foremost (NT?).

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They get harder to type the further back you go...

"Montaigne is known for popularizing the essay as a literary genre. He became famous for his effortless ability to merge serious intellectual speculation with casual anecdotes" (Wikipedia) suggests ENTP... The list of people he influenced is largely NT.

Didn't he spend his later years almost totally isolated in his library with just his books for company?

INTP.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
That would be interesting if true.

The post above yours brings up an interesting question. What made a possible XNFJ end up in a library in the end like that? Maybe the previous 10 years before his (what was seen/historicallynoted) as isolation.