• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reese Witherspoon's type

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd say she's ENFP. A trend that I have noticed in N actors (especially NP) is that they are more capable of creating characters that have completely different personalities, whereas an S actor focuses more on reactions and chemistry. For example Tom Cruise really is a great actor in that he has good reactions and chemistry with basically anyone he acts with, but his personality is basically the same in every role he does. That is the SP acting style.

If you look at some of Reese's characters on the other hand: the girl in "Election" is not like the girl in "Legally Blonde" is not like her portrayal of June Carter Cash in "Walk the Line". This suggests use of Ne (or possibly Ni). She did such a good job portraying June Carter Cash that she won an Oscar. This suggests that he primary function is a perceiving function like Ne, Se or Ni. Joaquin Pheonix (who I think is INFP) also did a really good acting job, but when I went to find out more about Johnny Cash I found that he didn't really act like him in a lot of ways. Instead Pheonix created the character in his head (which is what you expect from an INFP).

Also I understand that she was offered a singing contract after "Walk the Line" which she turned down. This is the type of thing you expect from an NF. She is raising money for Katrina relief which is a definite NF thing (especially ENFP). She seems like a pretty solid ENFP to me.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oscar-winning actors and actresses are not all N.

Turning down a singing contract and raising money for a catastrophe are not surefire indicators of NF.

Have you seen the clips? Do you know any ESTJs (and ENFPs) IRL for comparison?

Reese Witherspoon is too traditional, upright and prim to be anything other than an SJ. Watch her on Ellen presenting her with a Southern crock pot and monogrammed mittens or answering the question of what Walk the Line is about by summarizing the plot.

See also the following quote:

Her character in the film is a bit overbearing at times, particularly when it comes to cleanliness. She admits this hit home a bit. "I have a bit of the table ring thing as well. It really bothers me. I just admit it. It really bothers me when people don't use coasters. Particularly on my table. And every time I come home from a trip and [her husband, Ryan Phillippe] stays home, there's somehow a mysterious stain in the oddest shape, like squares on the table. What did you just like cook a chicken and put the whole pan on the kitchen table? Yeah, that kind of bugs me a little bit…"

I saved the best for last: Her childhood nickname was Little Miss Type A (source). Courtesy of Wikipedia:

[T]he Type A personality (...) is a set of characteristics that includes being impatient, excessively time-conscious, insecure about one's status, highly competitive, hostile and aggressive, and incapable of relaxation. Type A individuals are often highly achieving workaholics who multi-task, drive themselves with deadlines, and are unhappy about the smallest of delays.

The Type B personality, in contrast, is patient, relaxed, and easy-going.

An NP kid couldn't earn that nickname if she tried.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oscar-winning actors and actresses are not all N.

I didn't say that she won the Oscar because she was N. I said she won it because she looked so much like June Carter Cash. This suggests her dominant function was perceiving rather than judging, because it depends on her ability to observe another person. Her dominant function is either Ne, Se, or Ni because of this. Si in general is not a good function for acting (although it's really good for dancing. :))

Turning down a singing contract and raising money for a catastrophe are not surefire indicators of NF.

Nothing is a surefire indicator for any one type. This is the type of action most likely taken by an NF though. You have to look at the whole picture.

Have you seen the clips? Do you know any ESTJs (and ENFPs) IRL for comparison?

Yeah I've watched the clips. The reason I don't respond to most of these typing threads is that you can't really type someone based on a five minute clip. I only give input on the actors that I know some extra things about, so that I can actually type them.

My sister is an ESTJ. In fact she is a blond ESTJ that was raised in the south. Their personalities don't really look alike to me. TJ's usually have something of a hard edge that you can notice if you are looking for it. Reese does not have that hard edge.

I also have known quite a few ENFP's because I've done a fair amount of acting and directing. Acting attracts most SP's and NP's (especially ENFP's)and occasionally an NJ. I'm not sure if I've met an SJ who was seriously into acting, because Si is not really all that useful for acting. Being P (as opposed to J) is an advantage because you have to be able to react effectively off the other actors. ENFP is perhaps the most common type for professional actors. If it's not the most common type it certainly is near the top.

Reese Witherspoon is too traditional, upright and prim to be anything other than an SJ. Watch her on Ellen presenting her with a Southern crock pot and monogrammed mittens or answering the question of what Walk the Line is about by summarizing the plot.

NF's can be traditional, upright and prim if their upbringing matches their ideals. An ENFx can look a lot like an ESxJ when you first meet them, because both types will be outgoing, respectful and polite to people they just meet. You have to get to know them a bit better to find out which is which.

See also the following quote:

Here's a couple of quotes for that article:
"Reese Witherspoon can work a room." Describes an ENFx perfectly.

"Overflowing with personality, her southern twang adds an extra charm to a smile and bounciness you can't help but fall for. We in the media have come to expect nice treatment even when we may be despised behind closed doors. Somehow, this doesn't seem like an act with Reese."

ESxJ's tend to be polite and respectful to everyone they meet, whether they like the person or not. ENFx's on the other hand actually like every person that they meet. ENFx's have a warmth that other types do not have.

I saved the best for last: Her childhood nickname was Little Miss Type A (source). Courtesy of Wikipedia:

An NP kid couldn't earn that nickname if she tried.

Actually if you read the article you see that she says that she doesn't really fit the Type A personality:
Witherspoon also runs a production company, Type A Productions. Some believe the company is named after her childhood nickname "Little Miss Type A," but she clarified the misconception in Interview: "eople think I named it after myself ... But it just isn't who I am at all. It was actually an in-joke with my family because at 7 I understood complicated medical terms, such as the difference between type A and type B personalities. But I just wished I'd named the company Dogfood Films or Fork or something. You carry that baggage all your life."

Here are some quotes from her IMDb page. Reese Witherspoon - Biography
All of these are things you'd expect an NF to say:

[talking about how she choose the films she will be in]: "I have a weird process, but the main thing is like this: I hear her voice in my head. There are a lot of wonderful scripts my agents can't believe I pass on, but I do because I can't hear the voice. It doesn't appeal to me then. I'm really careful. Unless I hear the voice, I can't do it."
[talking about the movie business]: "The battles that we face in this business aren't financial, but they are moral. And I certainly think that the longer you can keep your values, and your morality intact, and keep your head on your shoulders about what is important at the end of the day, you can get the most out of this business and really emerge with something wonderful."

NF's value authenticity:
"People want to try and move you into a place where you can be easily identifiable by every woman in America - to be this very likable woman in a romantic comedy. And it's really hard for me. I just don't see myself as the girl that everybody likes. I never have been and I don't know how to be that person."

This is an archtypal quote for an ENFP:
"There's something timeless and important about making people laugh, about being the right spot in their day."
I was thinking about why I make movies, and I know why. Life is hard. It's nice to go escape and have a good time at the movies. If I can give people a movie about hope, love and the future, then I've done my job.
"What gets me is how many women - young women - give up their power and sense of self. Thinking they're going to get more out of life if they take off their clothes and objectify themselves, instead of functioning on the principle that they're smart and capable, that you can be an actress and not be on the covers of T&A magazines. I'm flabbergasted by how many legitimate actresses do that. It blows my mind."
"Many people worry so much about managing their careers, but rarely spend half that much energy managing their lives. I want to make my life, not just my job, the best it can be. The rest will work itself out."

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I didn't say that she won the Oscar because she was N. I said she won it because she looked so much like June Carter Cash.

My mistake.

This suggests her dominant function was perceiving rather than judging, because it depends on her ability to observe another person. Her dominant function is either Ne, Se, or Ni because of this.

I don't buy that a stellar imitation performance is impossible for an ESTJ.

Yeah I've watched the clips. The reason I don't respond to most of these typing threads is that you can't really type someone based on a five minute clip.

Of course not, but it helps. Going by written quotes alone can be misleading. Hearing and seeing how a person says something can often change the interpretation of the content. (I touched on this in the Natalie Portman thread.)

My sister is an ESTJ. In fact she is a blond ESTJ that was raised in the south. Their personalities don't really look alike to me. TJ's usually have something of a hard edge that you can notice if you are looking for it. Reese does not have that hard edge.

Yay, personal comparison! :D

I agree that Reese does seem softer than the ESTJs I have known, however, I think she's just well-rounded. I totally see the soccer mom potential.

But now we're only focusing on whether or not we recognize her as ESTJ. Do you positively recognize in her the ENFPs you have known? (I obviously don't.)

I also have known quite a few ENFP's because I've done a fair amount of acting and directing. Acting attracts most SP's and NP's (especially ENFP's)and occasionally an NJ. I'm not sure if I've met an SJ who was seriously into acting, because Si is not really all that useful for acting. Being P (as opposed to J) is an advantage because you have to be able to react effectively off the other actors. ENFP is perhaps the most common type for professional actors. If it's not the most common type it certainly is near the top.

The distribution of types in the acting profession may be highly skewed, but that is not an argument against a specific actor being a certain type.

NF's can be traditional, upright and prim if their upbringing matches their ideals. An ENFx can look a lot like an ESxJ when you first meet them, because both types will be outgoing, respectful and polite to people they just meet. You have to get to know them a bit better to find out which is which.

Apparently our experiences with ENFPs and ESTJs differ greatly. The ones I know could not be mistaken for each other in interviews.

You didn't write anything in reply to the quote about Reese being anal about table rings - do you really know ENFPs who are like that? :huh:

Actually if you read the article you see that she says that she doesn't really fit the Type A personality:

I did read the article. You can't get around the fact that Little Miss Type A was her nickname as a child, whether she identifies with it today or not. I still say that no NP child could earn that nickname.

I disagree that the quotes you posted are conclusively NF. In fact, I don't think they have much content for typing - unlike the table rings quote.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
All right, I've watched more interviews, and I'm inclined to retract my ESTJ typing. Too many typings last night! :doh:

Not sure what I think now, except probably F.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
My mistake.

I don't buy that a stellar imitation performance is impossible for an ESTJ.

It's nigh impossible, because as a type ESTJ's really don't understand people very well. They are one of the worst types at this in fact. ENFP's on the other hand are possibly the best type for understanding other people (ENFP and INFJ are especially keen at this). If you want to do a biography type role (which really involves more than just imitation), then you want an actor that understands the character's motivations. ENFP's are great at this.

Of course not, but it helps. Going by written quotes alone can be misleading. Hearing and seeing how a person says something can often change the interpretation of the content. (I touched on this in the Natalie Portman thread.)

Going by a single quote can be misleading. I gave several quotes because you have to look at the whole person and not just one thing. You need to look at major decisions, as well as how they typically act, and quotes of things they find important, and etc.... You have to look at the whole person, because no individual fits the type descriptions 100%, but when you look at many factors you can see which type they fit into very closely.

Yay, personal comparison! :D

I agree that Reese does seem softer than the ESTJs I have known, however, I think she's just well-rounded. I totally see the soccer mom potential.

But now we're only focusing on whether or not we recognize her as ESTJ. Do you positively recognize in her the ENFPs you have known? (I obviously don't.)

Yes I've known several ENFP's. Some are traditional and some are not. It depends on if the tradition fits their ideals. My pastor for example is ENFP and he carries himself like Ned Flanders, lol. He seems very traditional if you just look at how he carries himself, but when you get to know him you find many of his views are non-conformist and idealistic. You wouldn't know it just from watching him for a few minutes. You have to talk to him in a way that he lets his guard down and you talk to the inner him. Other ENFP's you can tell immediately that they are non-traditional though.

When you are dealing with an N it is harder to type them by mere appearance, because much of their world is in the form or ideas, ideals, theories, imagination, etc.... With an N it's more important to listen to what they say which is one reason that quotes are important.

The distribution of types in the acting profession may be highly skewed, but that is not an argument against a specific actor being a certain type.

It's not a complete argument, but it is evidence. You have to look at the whole picture. If 85% of factors type her like an ENFP, but only 45% of factors type her like an ESTJ, then you can say she is an ENFP. You don't just look at one aspect, but all things together.

Apparently our experiences with ENFPs and ESTJs differ greatly. The ones I know could not be mistaken for each other in interviews.

Well I would never say she is an ESTJ based on those interviews. :p Just on those clips it looks to me that she is both an E and F. The other two letters have to be determined from everything else we know about her.

You didn't write anything in reply to the quote about Reese being anal about table rings - do you really know ENFPs who are like that? :huh:

Everyone has pet peeves. That includes ENFP's. Every ENFP I know has some type of pet peeve just like everyone else.

I did read the article. You can't get around the fact that Little Miss Type A was her nickname as a child, whether she identifies with it today or not. I still say that no NP child could earn that nickname.

You have to look at the reason why she has the nickname. A person might be called "Tiny" because they are really small or because they are really big. In this case she wasn't called "Little Miss Type A" because she was Type A. She was called that because she was interested in studying personality types even from an early age. This is a trait you'd associate with an NF (especially an ENFP).

I disagree that the quotes you posted are conclusively NF. In fact, I don't think they have much content for typing - unlike the table rings quote.

Well for an S details like table rings are a better indicator, but for an N quotes about what they believe are better indicator. That is because S's are more concrete and N's are more abstract. So maybe we are stuck until we can agree on whether she is S or N. :thinking: But in fairness I gave many quotes which represent how an NF views the world.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Thanks for replying again. I refer you to the post I made just before yours.

I'm watching this now, which is more extensive than the clips I posted before. I'm still unsure (except E and F, like you say), but I just may come 'round to ENFP yet. :) If so, then I definitely need to meet more female ENFPs. :shock:

Edit: And I did misread the Little Miss Type A thing. :blush: I get it now.

Usehername

On a mission
I'm kind of convinced she's an INTJ (which, I know people often see qualities they like in stars and then convince themselves that they are like them... but seriously, i see a lot of INTJ in her).
i don't have links; these are off the top of my head. swamped with stuff right now but will find them after wednesday if people want references.

*she talks about how education is such an important thing; how her grandmother has all her respect b/c of how much she was into learning even though she could've been the typical housewife of a rich guy

*she has a perfectionistic streak (she talked about how she had a mini-meltdown in the car when she realized that her singing wasn't *perfect* after listening to a recording of herself, like she wanted it to be for June Carter and pretty much gave up the role but was forced back into it)

*she talks about how important it is to give kids space to dream up things for themselves; she says she doesn't babysit her kids and they often have room to be by themselves and do their own thing. she doesn't baby them; she wants them to develop to their own full potential and she thinks watching over them all the time like obsessive parents gets in teh way of their development

*the "type A" label, as mentioned above (which she clairifies as being called that b/c as a kid she knew all the proper terms of behaviors and medical conditions, etc., which is an INTJ thing)

*she stands up for the truth as opposed to being politically correct/keeping friends

*incredibly independent

in my opinion, she's an INTJ who really respects relationships and developing humans. all the things like rings from drinks, etc. can totally be more appropriate as an INTJ.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've read through these points and I don't see any of them pointing to an INTJ in particular.

I'm kind of convinced she's an INTJ (which, I know people often see qualities they like in stars and then convince themselves that they are like them... but seriously, i see a lot of INTJ in her).
i don't have links; these are off the top of my head. swamped with stuff right now but will find them after wednesday if people want references.

*she talks about how education is such an important thing; how her grandmother has all her respect b/c of how much she was into learning even though she could've been the typical housewife of a rich guy

You can find any of the types talk about how important education is. There is a reason why every politician always says how important education is. Because practically everyone considers education important.

*she has a perfectionistic streak (she talked about how she had a mini-meltdown in the car when she realized that her singing wasn't *perfect* after listening to a recording of herself, like she wanted it to be for June Carter and pretty much gave up the role but was forced back into it)

Practically all NT's have a perfectionistic streak as well as plenty of NF's and SJ's. Perfectionism in this one way just shows that she is probably not an SP.

*she talks about how important it is to give kids space to dream up things for themselves; she says she doesn't babysit her kids and they often have room to be by themselves and do their own thing. she doesn't baby them; she wants them to develop to their own full potential and she thinks watching over them all the time like obsessive parents gets in teh way of their development

The "hands off" style which allows a person to develop their strenghts is really an NP style more than anything.

*the "type A" label, as mentioned above (which she clairifies as being called that b/c as a kid she knew all the proper terms of behaviors and medical conditions, etc., which is an INTJ thing)

The ability to learn is something that any type has. The fact that she was interested in personality types really slants her toward ENFP. If she were an INTJ I'd expect her to be into building lego fortresses, or tearing things apart to see how they work and then putting them back together a new way, or maybe just sitting by herself and brooding a lot.

She really doesn't have the personality of an INTJ. Especially if you consider that from the clips it is pretty obvious that she is both E and F.

*she stands up for the truth as opposed to being politically correct/keeping friends

All N's are capable of doing this. NF's feel strongly about doing what is right rather that what is popular or politically correct.

*incredibly independent

This is both an I and a P trait. Since it's obvious that she is not I, then she must be a P.

in my opinion, she's an INTJ who really respects relationships and developing humans. all the things like rings from drinks, etc. can totally be more appropriate as an INTJ.

Or she's an ENFP who has a pet peeve about drink rings on the table.

Well I will say this: opinions about her type certainly vary widely. Maybe someone will post soon about how she is an ISTP. ;)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
after all this I'd laugh my ass off if she managed to happen upon this place and state her type, lol

Usehername

On a mission
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just going to assert why I said what I said.

The "hands off" style which allows a person to develop their strenghts is really an NP style more than anything.
As parents, INTJs' relentless pursuit for self-improvement becomes a model for their children as well. They encourage a child's independence and self-sufficiency, the sooner the better. What may be seen by others as uncaring or unaffectionate is, to INTJs, the ultimate in caring; teaching their children to stand on their own. The situation may best be illustrated by the way in which an INTJ parent likely teaches a child to swim. An INTJ parent may allow the child to dive into deep water that other parents might consider risky--all the while supervising intently--in the name of learning how to swim. Other types may stick to shallower waters, wanting the child to feel more comfortable in the learning process. To the INTJ, the issue of comfort or fear is irrelevant. What's important is learning how to swim. An old Chinese proverb was probably INTJ-inspired: "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach him to fish, and he eats for a lifetime."

The same model drives all INTJ relationships: any relationship that's good today can be better tomorrow and both parties must be directed to constant self-improvement: learning, growing, confronting, and anything else that leads to mutual self-competency.
from murraystate's description of INTJ

The fact that she was interested in personality types really slants her toward ENFP.
Where is this fact from? It's been my experience that waayyy more INTJs are interested in personality typing, but, that's my personal experience.

She really doesn't have the personality of an INTJ. Especially if you consider that from the clips it is pretty obvious that she is both E and F.
In fact, I would say she has quite the personality of an INTJ. I know three INTJ females (other than myself) and all of us appear extraverted in relating to others. Actually, I met an INTJ female online who says she's always perceived as an ESFP type in public (which I can totally relate to)... her theory is that because females are socially directed to be "ESF" types, that (competent) INTJ females learn to turn this on so as to function well within society and not be constantly butting heads. I know I do this for a) ease of relating to people when it's in a more superficial environment/conversation with people I don't know very well and b) because when I'm around people, I give off an ESFP personality type. But that's on the one in three weekends I leave the house!

(edit: actually, I take back the "S" persona in public... people think I'm really "unusual" or "unique" which gives off the N vibe, I guess. So ENFP in public)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
that would be cool. but even if she did, what could she say? no one would believe her!

good counter there, I didn't bother thinking that far... :D

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've always thought she was an EFJ, but eh.

I'm with you Proteanmix..
Actually I'm going further and saying ENFJ. Why does everyone discount..if she's not an ENFP she MUST be an INTJ. I'm going with ENFJ. That's my story and I'm stickin with it. :)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I'm with you Proteanmix..
Actually I'm going further and saying ENFJ. Why does everyone discount..if she's not an ENFP she MUST be an INTJ. I'm going with ENFJ. That's my story and I'm stickin with it. :)

I could make a case for her being ENFJ as well. I saw one E! Interview with her that made me think, wow she's in my head (same thing with Kate Winslet), but I couldn't find it and didn't feel like dragging the internet to support ENFJ. I don't think she's a P, at the very least an EJ or NJ. The way she approaches her film projects is like she's married to them once she commits herself and she's very upset when they fall through (most recently "Bunny Lake is Missing") and she's quite litigious, although I don't know how much that has to do with her personality. I'd think a P would just shrug off what the gossip rags print about her but she takes it most seriously and has sued quite a few mags for libel and slander. Also, research the beginning of her relationship with Ryan Phillipe :wubbie: really traditional, but she said it wasn't because it was "tradition" but how she envisioned it would be. But this is all stuff I don't remember very well because I was reading it as it happened, so once again eh.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I could make a case for her being ENFJ as well. I saw one E! Interview with her that made me think, wow she's in my head (same thing with Kate Winslet)

Kate Winslet's an ENFJ. :yes: I'm so sure of it that I won't even bother to start a thread about it. :whistling: ;)