• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Angelina Jolie's type

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
What say you to Angelina Jolie as an ESTP?

Inside the Actor's Studio, part 1

She strikes me as having been a poster child for Extroverted Sensing in her early years - impulsive, thrill-seeking and overtly sexual - and she seems definitely T in the interview.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What say you to Angelina Jolie as an ESTP?

Inside the Actor's Studio, part 1

She strikes me as having been a poster child for Extroverted Sensing in her early years - impulsive, thrill-seeking and overtly sexual - and she seems definitely T in the interview.

One thing I noticed is that she seems to gesture properly, display emotions in the right places, has plenty of comments, recalls information rapidly, and usually seems to have clothing that is well coordinated. I tend to assume that an ESTP wouldn't be that intelligent, or articulate. A few quotes from her, however, suggest that she actually expresses her other sides through her characters, and sometimes wishes she were somewhere else. Also, she got pleasure out of cutting herself, and the idea of being a vampire. A fascination with death doesn't seem very "here and now." That implies that she has a lot of imagination. Then again, maybe I'm just seeing her inferior Ni coming through? I mean, her imaginings don't seem at all healthy. It's hard to say.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One thing I noticed is that she seems to gesture properly, display emotions in the right places, has plenty of comments, recalls information rapidly, and usually seems to have clothing that is well coordinated. I tend to assume that an ESTP wouldn't be that intelligent, or articulate.
If everyone who shows intelligence 'can't' be a Sensor, then of course that assumption would stand. Sensors can be extremely intelligent, however generalized prejudicial positions are a sign of ignorance. (i'm responding more to the general persistence of this assumption than to your statement in isolation.)

I'd place my bets on ESTP as well. As far as clothing is concerned - she is a celebrity. She has staff to take care of that. The ability to display emotion at the right time means she is good at PR.

The stereotype of the ESTP is that of a conman. If such people aren't ever intelligent, what does that say for the rest who get fooled by them?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If everyone who shows intelligence 'can't' be a Sensor, then of course that assumption would stand. Sensors can be extremely intelligent, however generalized prejudicial positions are a sign of ignorance.

I wasn't assuming that because she was a sensor, I was assuming that because she was specifically SP. I tend to assume that SJ's are reasonably intelligent because they have good memories and evaluate things against standards. I assume NP's are intelligent because they can see patterns in things. I assume NJ's are intelligent because they can see things from different perspectives.

I believe she could be an ESTP, I was just not expecting an ESTP to be able to mask their general lack of higher processes so well.
(I might be a little biased against them because I'm an INFJ, and I'm obviously going to expect that an ESTP is disgusting and insane. It's just natural for me to do so.)

However, I assume that SP's just perceive and react to what's obviously going on around them, and can't think ahead without great effort. They don't even value or process things, they just react. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I just personally couldn't respect or like anyone who behaved that way.

Having researched her more completely, I believe she might be ESTP, but am impressed by her ability to pretend to appear reasonably sociable and humane for the length of the interview. I had no idea they were that good. Now I can see how they would make good con men. I just expect SP's to be the people who run around starting fights, learning to read later than other people, and lacking the ability to pay attention in class. I also expected them to be good at sports, working with tools, and dealing with a situation using the resources at hand.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had thought ISTP before, but you're right, ESTP probably fits better...Se is pretty evident, for sure.

The stereotype of the ESTP is that of a conman. If such people aren't ever intelligent, what does that say for the rest who get fooled by them?
:laugh:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wasn't assuming that because she was a sensor, I was assuming that because she was specifically SP. I tend to assume that SJ's are reasonably intelligent because they have good memories and evaluate things against standards. I assume NP's are intelligent because they can see patterns in things. I assume NJ's are intelligent because they can see things from different perspectives.

However, I assume that SP's just perceive and react to what's obviously going on around them, and can't think ahead without great effort. They don't even value or process things, they just react. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I just personally couldn't respect or like anyone who behaved that way.
Of course, all Fs are incapable of using logic anyway so your opinions on the intelligence of others can hardly be considered valid.

(/sarcasm, if it wasn't completely obvious...)

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I believe she could be an ESTP, I was just not expecting an ESTP to be able to mask their general lack of higher processes so well.
(I might be a little biased against them because I'm an INFJ,

I nominate this for understatement of the year. :rolleyes:

and I'm obviously going to expect that an ESTP is disgusting and insane. It's just natural for me to do so.)

athenian200, your prejudicial and degrading comments about other types border on hate speech at times like these. If the above comment was intended as a joke, I suggest you clarify, otherwise: See a therapist.

clairebear8

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
that's rough... i think she's changed a lot since her younger years though.. she's doing a lot a lot of humanitarian work now... and watch this interview!! she looks pretty F to me... she might just have been unhealthy before?

YouTube - Angelina Jolie

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a brother-in-law ESTP who has his own unique approach to humanitarianism. He once saw a couple of kids making fun of a Downs Syndrome child, so he walked up to them, knocked the two kids heads together - HARD - and gingerly walked away never saying a word.

He's basically 'action man', and is plenty intelligent. He's in the military and has no tolerance for CO who are not competent. I haven't interacted with him that much, but i remember family conversations about current internet scams and noticed it seemed important to him to know about all of them and how to avoid getting taken in. Many of his anecdotes are about dangerous situations and how he avoided harm. He has also been charitable to people, but never if they can fend for themselves. It's about directness, action, clever solutions, in the thick of the action. The ESTP charity is about identifying an actual need (not a scam), finding a clever solution, acting now, then moving on.

I'm surprised INFJs don't value the ESTP. The INFJ senses the motives in people, but the ESTP can identify all the false tricks. The INFJ will analyze the situation from every possible perspective while the ESTP acts. The two could potentially work quite well in tandem, assuming they have mutual respect and goals.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
that's rough... i think she's changed a lot since her younger years though.. she's doing a lot a lot of humanitarian work now... and watch this interview!! she looks pretty F to me... she might just have been unhealthy before?

YouTube - Angelina Jolie

I watched the interview, and I find it compatible with T. Yes, she is touched by the fates of this world's unfortunate, but I like to think that Fs don't have a complete monopoly on empathy. :) She seems logical in her approach to humanitarian work to me. (Though I suppose Ts don't have a monopoly on that ;) and to be fair, she does acknowledge other people as having presented the logic to her. Still, it's what she emphasizes.) For those who don't care to watch the clip, I transcribed the last half:

AJ: ...They said he was probably just going to die because of the reality of how many people were in that situation. And it was my first experience, so I thought, well we should get him out of here, we should do something, we should get him hospital care... And you know, realizing that this is one kid in thousands, and you can't do that really, it doesn't work that way. So he would die, and he was alone, and he was really scared, and he was just a kid.

Interviewer: Did you hear any more about him?

AJ: (inaudible)

Interviewer: When you see something like that, do you feel very small against the enormity of the problem?

AJ: Yeah, maybe, but no, at the same time I think it makes you realize the importance of every single individual. Yes, it is an enormous problem, but it is true, they say if one person lives... Each individual counts. If there's twenty million people and one kid lives, one family makes it, then... Every individual does count, so that's what that makes me think. That makes me think that (...) Because I had that experience, maybe that next kid I'll know what to do, I'll be prepared, or I'll put that much more effort into helping that next kid, because that other kid haunts me so much.

I don't think it's incompatible with ESTP (i.e. surefire evidence of F), and I don't pick up an F vibe from her elsewhere.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I watched a bio thing about her, I think. I got the feeling that she was an SP but that it was hard for her to get her feet under her because her parents were so lenient that she really had to go over the into self-destructive behavior in order to rebel (does that make sense?), which gave her a kind of dark flavor.

My grandpa was an ESTP, I think, and we just instinctively adored each other. He was a very smart man despite his very limited education and very charming, dapper, and opportunistic. He was generally decent and generous, but his morals were unconventional. For whatever that's worth.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I'm surprised INFJs don't value the ESTP. The INFJ senses the motives in people, but the ESTP can identify all the false tricks. The INFJ will analyze the situation from every possible perspective while the ESTP acts. The two could potentially work quite well in tandem, assuming they have mutual respect and goals.

I read somewhere that ESTP/INFJ are one of those rare opposite type combos that work very well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
athenian200, your prejudicial and degrading comments about other types border on hate speech at times like these. If the above comment was intended as a joke, I suggest you clarify, otherwise: See a therapist.

Well, maybe it's because I've talked to Athenian a great deal in the last few weeks, but I perceived this not as a statement meant to judge the mentioned types from some "objective" perspective (which is what racists and others do -- example: "All black people are universally evil/lesser than white people") but simply as a statement that these types would not sit well with Ath if they had to spend time together.

At200 said:
(I might be a little biased against them because I'm an INFJ, and I'm obviously going to expect that an ESTP is disgusting and insane. It's just natural for me to do so.)

i.e., "we're opposites, so naturally I'm going to have a bad reaction to my opposite." The word "obviously" should tip us off what was meant, where "obviously" = "according to the known theory."

At200 said:

"i.e., there's nothing wrong with their process, but I just personally still have trouble respecting/liking people who use that process."

(That comment was worded much better than the first.)

--

For my own brief comment, I had just assumed AJ was ESFP from a glance... but reading the excerpts here, I can definitely see cause for why a "T" reading is possible and probably likely... So I do not see any large warning signs so far that would signal the analysis to be far off-track... I do not have any doubts about the ESxP part.

Also, Fe is the tertiary for an ESTP -- don't underestimate their power to develop it, they can come off as very altruistic and charming in a social context, even if ultimately they are "gamers." [i.e., looking to play/game the system to create the desired outcome.]

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also, Fe is the tertiary for an ESTP -- don't underestimate their power to develop it, they can come off as very altruistic and charming in a social context, even if ultimately they are "gamers." [i.e., looking to play/game the system to create the desired outcome.]

my uncle does this ><*...

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, maybe it's because I've talked to Athenian a great deal in the last few weeks, but I perceived this not as a statement meant to judge the mentioned types from some "objective" perspective (which is what racists and others do -- example: "All black people are universally evil/lesser than white people") but simply as a statement that these types would not sit well with Ath if they had to spend time together.

True, some of her statements were relative, but how do you like the sound of this: "I wasn't expecting a black person to be able to mask their general lack of higher processes so well"?

Also, the implicit belief that her subjective view of ESTPs was relevant for the discussion at hand belied the postulated awareness of bias. Actions speak louder than words.

I freely admit to not exactly having been nice, but was I wrong? :whistling: ;)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
True, some of her statements were relative, but how do you like the sound of this: "I wasn't expecting a black person to be able to mask their general lack of higher processes so well"?

Well, it is a misplaced analogy on your part, because while race has no significant bearing on cognitive functions, the "higher functions" being discussed are the very functions described in the MBTI.

(Ath200 is simply saying that cognitive ability and self-awareness is a higher function, evolutionarily speaking; and many people who focus on Se do not have to engage those parts of the brain -- they are using the older, more "primitive" ...and there is ANOTHER socially loaded word, I only used it to point THAT out ... part of the brain, even if they still have the ability to switch over and engage the more-evolutionarily-recent functions.)

I think the use of the word "higher" -- which it was supposed to refer to the more abstract thinking/feeling parts of the brain -- unfortunately has very negative connotations in a socially informal discussion, so I would have avoided that term. And the phrasing does sound condescending if you don't know Ath200.

I suppose I'm simply saying the motivations weren't what came across, from what I know; it's just the typical trap that an analytical person unused to social dialog tends to stumble into. :(

I freely admit to not exactly having been nice, but was I wrong? :whistling: ;)

Guilty on both counts, in my way of thinking... but I can understand why you made the mistake, and if I did not know Ath200, I would have probably thought similarly to you.

So no biggie, I'm just being the INTP version of anal regarding slight nuances in perception. :whistling:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the use of the word "higher" -- which it was supposed to refer to the more abstract thinking/feeling parts of the brain -- unfortunately has very negative connotations, so I would have avoided that term. And the phrasing does sound condescending if you don't know Ath200.
Cause it isn't at all condescending to say
I wasn't assuming that [she wasn't intelligent]because she was a sensor, I was assuming that because she was specifically SP. I tend to assume that SJ's are reasonably intelligent because they have good memories and evaluate things against standards. I assume NP's are intelligent because they can see patterns in things. I assume NJ's are intelligent because they can see things from different perspectives.
I'm rather curious to see you justify that position as a matter of perspective or improper phrasing. I thought the point being made was quite clear.

If someone said "I assumed she wasn't intelligent because she was black...I tend to assume asians work hard, white people can think outside the box, and spanish people are more openminded" I don't think it would be dismissed as a matter of perspective.

And for the record, there is a racial difference on IQ tests, on average, so it is as relevant as type (ie, not particularly). It still doesn't make it acceptable or accurate to go around calling people stupid based on their race. Likewise with type.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, it is a misplaced analogy on your part, because while race has no significant bearing on cognitive functions, the "higher functions" being discussed are the very functions described in the MBTI.

All right, you've convinced me. :dry: ;)

I caught a vibe of channeling negative energy at ESXPs rather than objectively helping out the typing to the best of her ability, but a vibe is not enough. athenian200, I hereby retract the "you're bordering on hate speech, see a therapist" comment. My apologies.

Edit: Darnit, Randomnity, now I don't know what to think! :thinking: I will follow you guys' exchange closely. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I caught a vibe of channeling negative energy at ESXPs rather than objectively helping out the typing to the best of her ability

Considering the social alienation most of us have suffered, I'm betting some of that does exist and might have snuck through... It just wasn't the primary motivation, I thought.

athenian200, I hereby retract the "you're bordering on hate speech, see a therapist" comment. My apologies.

:shock:

... this has to be a trick...

You can't just give up like that. Who are you and what have you done with Economica?!

Cause it isn't at all condescending to say

lol, all right, all right :) -- I have flashed in, pointed out another interpretation/nuance in what was going on... and now I can fly away because my work here is done.

I do not think that Ath200 is not a closet racist/typist... but will have to provide their own defense at this point and either reinforce or disprove that accusation on their own, I know when it is time to butt out.