• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DN's Author Type List II

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
16?

There is 16 in the INFJ category alone.

How is is bias? You'll find a lot of ESTJ politicians and beaureaucrats and very few INFPs. You'll find a lot of ESFP pop singers, not so many INTJs. Why can't you accept the common fact that some types are more skilled in certain areas than others? Also, if you really want to correct the situation, find some writers who are S types, makes avalid arguement for their inclusion, find soemone to agree with you, and I'll add them. Until then, put up, or shut up.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How is is bias? You'll find a lot of ESTJ politicians and beaureaucrats and very few INFPs. You'll find a lot of ESFP pop singers, not so many INTJs. Why can't you accept the common fact that some types are more skilled in certain areas than others? Also, if you really want to correct the situation, find some writers who are S types, makes avalid arguement for their inclusion, find soemone to agree with you, and I'll add them. Until then, put up, or shut up.
I just see a lot of N-bias around here.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I'm confused as to why Ss are more inclined to visual arts than Ns. Plenty of visual art is abstract.

And I think Tolkien was more likely to be an S than Rowling is.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm confused as to why Ss are more inclined to visual arts than Ns. Plenty of visual art is abstract.

And I think Tolkien was more likely to be an S than Rowling is.
Sensors can do abstract, some are even drawn to it.

Pretty sure Tolkien was an N.

He invented languages and a whole mythology before he began to write LOTR.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He invented languages and a whole mythology before he began to write LOTR.

Yeah, that's true. I was more at the angle of his writing style, which seems to emphasize detailed descriptions of concrete objects. Tertiary development, perhaps, that is if we are going to agree that he was an INxP.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, that's true. I was more at the angle of his writing style, which seems to emphasize detailed descriptions of concrete objects. Tertiary development, perhaps.
Most good fiction writers do that though. Either naturally, or they learn to do it.

Many badly written sci-fi novels by NTs suffer this flaw: too concerned with their neat ideas to flesh out the details and characters that get people invested in the story.

Good Ns will have detail, and subtly link them to something larger (symbolism is a good example, like repeated references to a color). From the other side good Sensor writers learn to have themes in their longer works.

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP

By definition N is more imaginative and S more practical, so it follows that fiction writers are more likely to have an N preference. But nothing is strictly the domain of one type or preference.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
James Herriott is some sort of S (haven't read his stuff for a long time, so can't recall what he is beyond the S. His writings were in more short-story format, many autobiographical related to his job as a traveling veterinarian in the U.K. Other animal-related books too.)

And I recall someone writing in another thread a long time ago that Robert Jordan is possibly an ISTJ. (I've read his books...could agree on the S...**extremely** detailed and interwoven plot(s). I don't know how he kept track of everything. The plots just kept expanding exponentially, haha).

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
And I recall someone writing in another thread a long time ago that Robert Jordan is possibly an ISTJ. (I've read his books...could agree on the S...**extremely** detailed and interwoven plot(s)).

Interesting, though I'd say INTJ is more likely. I could never get into Jordan.

Most writers and other kinds of artists are people who are good at focusing on both the whole and the parts, the forest and the trees. A fiction writer is more likely to be an N with good use of the S functions in service of the big picture/story, if not elsewhere in life.

Last edited:

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How'd you type Homer? Do you look at interviews to type these authors? Written/taped interviews? Personal writings? Biographies?

A few guesses:
Mike Gayle: ESfj
Diana Wynne Jones: ENtP (Interestingly her protagonists are often IsFJs.)
Margeret Peterson Haddix: ESTX

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
How'd you type Homer? Do you look at interviews to type these authors? Written/taped interviews? Personal writings? Biographies?

A few guesses:

Reasonings?

Norman MacLean: INTJ

Why?

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
If you read "A River Runs Through it" which is a biography of sorts, he has some lengthy narratives that are about his train of thought while he is on the river that are very Ni. He gets lost in his thought. He is very dutiful and responsible in contrast to his brother Paul, who is an ESTP, and he is addressing problems that could be understandably emotional, but he remains very rational through his analysis. One of the central themes of the story is the inability to help a loved one. Here is a quote about his reasoning, but it was integrated into that story as a quote by his father:

“You are too young to help anybody and I am too old.”…”Help,” he said “is giving part of yourself to somebody who comes to accept it willingly and needs it badly.”
“So it is, that we can seldom help anybody. Either we don’t know what part to give or maybe we don’t like to give any part of ourselves. Then, more often than not, the part that is needed is not wanted. And even more often, we do not have the part that is needed. It is like the auto-supply shop over town where they always say, ‘Sorry, we are just out of that.’”

The message that I received from the story is that we can’t understand anyone of our loved ones fully so we are unable to help them in the way that they need. The only method of assistance that can be offered is to love them completely and unconditionally, and hope that the love that is offered is an adequate form of support.

He also understands the complexity of the individual, and at the end, he makes the statement “you can love completely without complete understanding.”

I have more evidence, but I don't want to spoil the story.

But trust me, he is very INTJ.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
He notes the woman's attempt to solve the problem too, and questions their F tendencies in trying to help. His mother is an ISFJ, and he states that her attempts to help "through choke cherry jelly" are superficial. He might sound like an F, but he is a T. There is another character that his wife's family is trying to help as well, and he questions their methods too.

Lotr246

Blake is most likely INFJ. He's said to have had visions of angels. His later poems are concerned with prophecy as well.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have a feeling that Ken Kesey would be an ENFP. ESFP would be a close second.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Blake is most likely INFJ. He's said to have had visions of angels. His later poems are concerned with prophecy as well.

See the Romantic Poets thread and earlier on my original Author's Type List thread I think. We discussed why Blake was not an INFJ and was an INFP.

I have a feeling that Ken Kesey would be an ENFP. ESFP would be a close second.

Sounds accurate.

Jack London : ENTJ.

I'll take your word for it. Sounds correct, but if you care to explain how you came to this conclusion...

ADDS: Jack London (ENTJ)

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP

A few guesses:

Diana Wynne Jones…some kind of NP, in any case

A few more to consider

Charles Bukowski ISFP or ISTP
Shirley Jackson (Haunting of Hill House) INFJ
China Mieville IN??
Clive Barker INFJ
Holly Black INFP