• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Mentalist

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I only started watchign this show a month or two ago, but quickly got hooked on it. With the catch phrases in advertising for it being things like "it's in the details", I expected it to be a strong representation of xSxx, and while some of the minor characts may be that, my impression of the main character is that he is what I would expect a charismatic ENFJ to be like, but I can't help but feel that I'm way off on that guess (E is the only part of it I'd say I'm certain on :), but he matches my what I'd expect an ENFJ to be like)... So are there other fans of this series here, and if there are any ENFJs reading this, do you relate to Patrick Jane?

My guesses... (and very rough guesses at that)
Patrick Jane - Enfj
Teresa Lisbon - ESxJ
Kimball Cho - ISxJ
Wayne Rigsby - xSTP
Grace Van Pelt - ISxx

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
For some reason, I think Jane's an ENTP.

But I'm fairly certain of Lisbon being an IXTJ.

You know, I was wondering when someone was going to post this show, haha.

G

Glycerine

I only started watchign this show a month or two ago, but quickly got hooked on it. With the catch phrases in advertising for it being things like "it's in the details", I expected it to be a strong representation of xSxx, and while some of the minor characts may be that, my impression of the main character is that he is what I would expect a charismatic ENFJ to be like, but I can't help but feel that I'm way off on that guess (E is the only part of it I'd say I'm certain on :), but he matches my what I'd expect an ENFJ to be like)... So are there other fans of this series here, and if there are any ENFJs reading this, do you relate to Patrick Jane?

My guesses... (and very rough guesses at that)
Patrick Jane - Enfj
Teresa Lisbon - ESxJ
Kimball Cho - ISxJ
Wayne Rigsby - xSTP
Grace Van Pelt - ISxx
For some reason, Patrick Jane struck me more as a infj. I thought his intuition was his main tool. The character also seems to read people the same way I do. (This may be completely wrong). Edit: I looked again and INFJ is probably wrong but he definitely has dominant intuition.

Last edited:
G

Glycerine

For some reason, I think Jane's an ENTP.

But I'm fairly certain of Lisbon being an IXTJ.

You know, I was wondering when someone was going to post this show, haha.

This seems way more correct! Jane is most definitely N dominant.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
What about Ne VS Ni? I'd say his deduction capabilities are almost exclusively fueled by outside stimuli no?

Based on functions alone, I'd say ENTP. But he also looks very socially accepting and fond of most people.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Based on functions alone, I'd say ENTP. But he also looks very socially accepting and fond of most people.

He seems that way. Most of the time, I think he enjoys having 'fun' with people, so to speak. Manipulating them, persuading them, poking fun at Lisbon, stuff like that. Even if that wasn't the case, ENTPs can be very fond of people--and tolerant.

EDIT: It might also be possible to say that he appears accepting because people do exactly what he expects, in regards to their actions, behavior, etc, so he has no reason to be shocked/offended/exclusive.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
You guys haven't pulled anything from the show to support your misguided ramblings or shot in the dark guess work, you're all just talking in generalities, so read my post:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/arts-entertainment/15502-mentalist-vs-lie-me.html#post610840

Compared to Jane, an ENFJ would be more attention seeking and look for approval from his peers and need people more, it's not out of the realm of possibility, but there's a stronger case for dominant Ni with secondary Fe (INFJ) than dominant Fe and secondary Ni (ENFJ). Remember, being confused for an extravert, is a main characteristic of being an INFJ. Even the whole thing of "Giving up being a psychic" and putting it to use for the greater good of himself and the world/CBI, and done because he can't let go of the past nonetheless, (eyeroll) is totally an idealistic INFJ move! To belabor the point, at the end of the first episode Jane goes to sleep on a tiny mattress alone with his thoughts, probably in one of his kids rooms....like a nightly reminder, he's out for revenge, like the second paragraph of this:

INFJ Profile

Lastly, I've written about this on my post, but Jane has come up with his intuitive leap WAY before the facts have come out, which is Ni, not Ne you guys. Jane plays dumb to confirm his Ni answers, but dominant Ne like the ENTP (dismissive) and ENFP (flighty) is out of place, with respect to his ability to know the thoughts and feelings of others so unexplainably and how Ne is so immediately reactionary compared to Jane, who is more premeditated in his approach, and never surprised as he knew it was going to happen this way all along.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You guys haven't pulled anything from the show to support your misguided ramblings or shot in the dark guess work, you're all just talking in generalities, so read my post:

Compared to Jane, an ENFJ would be more attention seeking and look for approval from his peers and need people more, it's not out of the realm of possibility, but there's a stronger case for dominant Ni with secondary Fe (INFJ) than dominant Fe and secondary Ni (ENFJ). Remember, being confused for an extravert, is a main characteristic of being an INFJ.

I was going off rough impressions more than anything with my guess, and your reminder that INFJs can come across as more outgoing is a big factor there. Dominant Ni supported by secondary Fe does make a lot of sense, but I'd still be curious to hear some feedback from ENFJs to get their perspective on it.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think there's just us to go over it, doesn't sound like too many TV fans on MBTI. Oh well. In response to your request, I don't know what more to add, I was actually waiting for YOU GUYS to come up with a rebuttle of some sort from the show, like myself, to disprove my statement, I'm feeling kinda lost here.....

....how can I feel pain when you're being so supportive?

Last edited:

ENFP101

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Um....coming from left field...

I think there's just us to go over it, doesn't sound like too many TV fans on MBTI. Oh well. In response to your request, I don't know what more to add, I was actually waiting for YOU GUYS to come up with a rebuttle of some sort from the show, like myself, to disprove my statement, I'm feeling kinda lost here.....

....how can I feel pain when you're being so supportive?

I think Patrick is an ISTP....Ill explain:
There is more to the MBTI then just the letters, there is also an order of functions.
The first function appearent is Ti- an almost internal whiteboard of clear thinking, following with Se- a super clear sensory perception of the outside world. Ne's would not be able to pick up the details patricks picks up. Similiar to the show "Lie to Me"- the main character is an Se- picking up through sensory (sight) whether or not the guy is lying.

Probabilist

MBTI Type
ISTJ
No Patrick Jane is NOT an ISTP ! he is as intuitive as it gets.It's very interesting that many fictional characters in this site are being typed as ISTP ! (But no ESTPs , odd)
Patrick Jane is either an INTP or ENTP , i'm leaning toward INTP , but is he really Ti dom or Ne dom ?! well he definitely uses Ne , no doubt about that , his whole style of investigation is the definition of Ne (No he doesn't pick up sensory details , he can say if someone is lying but not in the way Cal Lightman does , Cal is an ISTJ and completely depends on the facts he has gathered about lying but Patrick is much more focused on the meanings for example when he says someone is lying it's not just because that person has scratched his/her nose , he finds a connection between that nose scratching and other things that person has done and then he deduces that person is lying ), but in many episodes he relies more on Ti and in fact i believe logic is his original tool and with the help of his dad , he has improved his Ne.

Edit : I'v reviewed some episodes and yes Patrick is without any doubt an INTP and i actually believe he can be a really good role model for INTPs.

Last edited:

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
(Keeping in mind that we're attempting to align the inconsistent writing of an inconsistent character on a CBS tv show, against the mirror darkly personality system known as MBTI.)

To ENFP101, ISTP's are so focused on sensing the world and fixing objects that I've never known one ISTP from the dawn of time that has ever cared one lick about uncovering the big picture behind human behaviour like Patrick Jane does; case and point, this website! ISTP's are so focused on the leaf that they can not see the forest; so focused on stuff and things they do not bother understanding people and problems. For ISTP's, human behaviour and the big picture behind it, is either something to mock, not a concern, or just something they are a part of....it's straight forward to them.

To Probablist, I like the argument for INTP and I think it's in the ballpark, but can you give some specific episodes where IT EN was used? I'm struggling with that. Can you compare personal examples of INTP's you know of and how they interact with the world like Patrick Jane (or perhaps do not...hint hint) with more theoretical examples of classic INTP's against actual events in The Mentalist that are INTP. His sense of humor is highly ENTP with gamesmanship for its own sake, and less like the INTP which uses gamesmanship for logical consistency and understanding the system better for themselves and to educate others. INTP humor is like Tina Fey, highly estute and usually leads a person into writing, blogging, and lots of detail regarding the system.

I still maintain my argument for INFJ, with IN EF being the leading motivations of Patrick Jane, with glimpses of ENTP coming out of left field from a writing staff that doesn't write their characters based on MBTI! LOL.

Please check out this discussion forum on typologycentral for some interesting dialogue: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/arts-and-entertainment/15502-mentalist-vs-lie.html

Probabilist

MBTI Type
ISTJ
(Keeping in mind that we're attempting to align the inconsistent writing of an inconsistent character on a CBS tv show, against the mirror darkly personality system known as MBTI.)

To ENFP101, ISTP's are so focused on sensing the world and fixing objects that I've never known one ISTP from the dawn of time that has ever cared one lick about uncovering the big picture behind human behaviour like Patrick Jane does; case and point, this website! ISTP's are so focused on the leaf that they can not see the forest; so focused on stuff and things they do not bother understanding people and problems. For ISTP's, human behaviour and the big picture behind it, is either something to mock, not a concern, or just something they are a part of....it's straight forward to them.

To Probablist, I like the argument for INTP and I think it's in the ballpark, but can you give some specific episodes where IT EN was used? I'm struggling with that. Can you compare personal examples of INTP's you know of and how they interact with the world like Patrick Jane (or perhaps do not...hint hint) with more theoretical examples of classic INTP's against actual events in The Mentalist that are INTP. His sense of humor is highly ENTP with gamesmanship for its own sake, and less like the INTP which uses gamesmanship for logical consistency and understanding the system better for themselves and to educate others. INTP humor is like Tina Fey, highly estute and usually leads a person into writing, blogging, and lots of detail regarding the system.

I still maintain my argument for INFJ, with IN EF being the leading motivations of Patrick Jane, with glimpses of ENTP coming out of left field from a writing staff that doesn't write their characters based on MBTI! LOL.

Please check out this discussion forum on typologycentral for some interesting dialogue: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/arts-and-entertainment/15502-mentalist-vs-lie.html

Interesting , i had never considered introverted intuition before but now that i think about it , it's possible. MBTI aside , i'm totally sure that he is not an extrovert so ENTP is out of the list for me , in the most basic definition of introverted vs extroverted , he is introverted. Some people say that he is like that because he has lost his family but it's not true , there are many examples of extroverted people in fiction that have lost their family , they have became more cynical but you can still say they are extroverted , they still go to bar , they are still in contact with some people and etc. SO yep , Patrick Jane is introverted.

So what makes you say INFJ not INTJ ?

Probabilist

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Interesting , i had never considered introverted intuition before but now that i think about it , it's possible. MBTI aside , i'm totally sure that he is not an extrovert so ENTP is out of the list for me , in the most basic definition of introverted vs extroverted , he is introverted. Some people say that he is like that because he has lost his family but it's not true , there are many examples of extroverted people in fiction that have lost their family , they have became more cynical but you can still say they are extroverted , they still go to bar , they are still in contact with some people and etc. SO yep , Patrick Jane is introverted.

So what makes you say INFJ not INTJ ?

I just finished season 7 and yes i agree , Patrick Jane is an INFJ , no doubt about it.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I just finished season 7 and yes i agree , Patrick Jane is an INFJ , no doubt about it.

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been here in years, but glad you came around to my point of view. It's an interesting discussion, just talking about how writers design characters in terms of type and deviation from their type.

What was the main scene in the Mentalist season 7 that confirmed for you that Patrick Jane was an INFJ?

As for what makes me say INFJ and not INTJ, boils down to what I think extroverted thinking (ET) looks like in practice. Extroverted thinking types are kinda funny with how they do not pick up on social cues as well as feelers. They just don't see them as well, and its not that they don't want to, its just that its not a natural wiring to be so concerned with others opinions apart from facts. ET comes off a little operational, calculated, pragmatic, do what you know oriented, with just objective facts, whereas Jane is naturally aware of social cues (EF) and resembles introverted thinking that is more contemplative and subjectively applied (IT) than concretely applied (ET) to situations. Perhaps there are some episodes that might look INTJ because he seems a little more arrogant than INFJ's who are more self effacing but I would say that's just INFJ aloofness. I would stick with Dr. House as your INTJ, dealing with concrete facts (ET) to reveal his huge IN theory, and Patrick Jane uncovering problems in a more personal way (EF) that questions objective facts and what is "objectively true" (IT), which always drove Teresa crazy because she's an ST haha, to reveal his more prophetic INFJ theory. That being said, there are probably enough episodes to support a claim for either though, but overall, I think the way Patrick Jane communicates is more INFJ and fits a little better. Do you have some good INTJ examples for me?

Probabilist

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I think you are right , my friend has also started watching the series and he also thinks Patrick is an INFJ , i mean there are many episodes that he has shown his FE nature by buying his coworkers necklaces , playing with kids , always trying to make the Victim's family happy after solving the case and etc and now that i think about it , there has not been any episode showing any extroverted thinking in him ! yeah he is INFJ. :nerd: