• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DN's Author Type List

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
^ Emanuel Swedenborg, said to be one of Blake's mentors definately seems INFJ, if I recall correctly Blake broke with Swedenborg on a lot of his dogma.

Does this ideological split further argue the INFP case?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
JKR an ISFP? I always thought she was Intuitive..an ENFJ, I thought..You could be right though, you probably know more about her.

heart

heart on fire
Does this ideological split further argue the INFP case?

I don't know. Blake just has a more free-floating feel to him than his mentor does. His mentor was unconventional but seemed to want to wrap things up in a decided manner, Blake seemed to be just open to whatever the universe showed him on a given day.

Swedenborg seemed more set on finding a system of new dogma for others to follow and implement, Blake seemed more open to exploration and uniqueness of all the parts in each individual moment.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Heart, what is your take on James Joyce? I'm curious.

I read his 'Portrait of an Artist....', and to be honest didn't think INFJ was out of the question. But I also recognize INFP as probably being more likely (which is what he's listed as in this thread)

heart

heart on fire
Heart, what is your take on James Joyce? I'm curious.

I read his 'Portrait of an Artist....', and to be honest didn't think INFJ was out of the question. But I also recognize INFP as probably being more likely (which is what he's listed as in this thread)

Honestly I am not at all familar with him. LOL, he's too modern for me.:D

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honestly I am not at all familar with him. LOL, he's too modern for me.:D

eh..thought I'd ask, as it's a semi-autobiographical book so should be easier to pinpoint his type (in theory - but then since I wasn't sure, whatever. :rolleyes:)

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
JKR an ISFP? I always thought she was Intuitive..an ENFJ, I thought..You could be right though, you probably know more about her.

I. She's not into the whole fame thing at all.

An S is more likely to create a complete and fully fledged liveable world like she did. An N would leave more to the imagination. She leaves little for us to surmise ourselves. What isn't known, she knows, she just hasn't written it in a book. It's also less high fantasy that an N would create. It's very grounded in reality. She doesn't introduce any "out there" concepts that an N might into her work. It's all borrowed from elsewhere.

Definite P. Her desk is shambolic.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know. Blake just has a more free-floating feel to him than his mentor does. His mentor was unconventional but seemed to want to wrap things up in a decided manner, Blake seemed to be just open to whatever the universe showed him on a given day.

Swedenborg seemed more set on finding a system of new dogma for others to follow and implement, Blake seemed more open to exploration and uniqueness of all the parts in each individual moment.

Okey doke. INFP.

S

Sniffles

Care to explain? Interesting how the Catholic church is so important to all of these men.

There was a discussion about Leon Bloy at the INFP forum, and almost everybody considered him an INFP. His manner of proclaiming his conviction in the Catholic faith seems compatible with Fi, especially considering his refusal to debate his opponents about his beliefs.

GK Chesterton I read as being listed as an Introverted Intuitive, and he certainly does not fit the profile of an INTJ. The mannerisms of his writings and what I've read about his personal life seem to confirm an INFJ personality; especially the famous stories about him being so absorbed in his own thoughts he'd missed the train.

Belloc was discussed here:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...glish-writer-sound-like.html?highlight=belloc

Peguy's personal life also seems to protray an INFJness to him. In his translations of Peguy's poems, Julian Green mentioned that:
"Peguy's reasoning goes from the particular to the general with a magnificent sweep which carries one along as only logic can do when it is enlivened by imagination. Its scope is boundless...It is strong, but not unbending, and it has a way of suddenly moving us almost to tears. The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing, wrote Pascal, and in Peguy it is not only the head but the heart that reasons, a hard head and a big, generous, human heart."

Not only that, the way he handles his feelings for Blanche Raphael is very much in line with INFJ nature. He could've gotten a divorce easily, and his marriage wasnt a happy one. Yet he refused on principle to do that, and encouraged Blanche to marry another man.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Umberto Eco: xNTx
Stephen King: INxP
Dan Brown: INFJ

Last edited:

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Laura Ingalls Wilder...ISFJ, not an N. You can make cheese after you read Little House on the Prairie. Everything is straight out of real life.

heart

heart on fire
Laura Ingalls Wilder has to be ISFP, not ISFJ. She's totally Fi.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Laura Ingalls Wilder has to be ISFP, not ISFJ. She's totally Fi.

I could go either way but in the books Mary I think is portrayed as the ISFP and Laura isn't quite that, well, altruistic. Since they're autobiographical Laura's gotta be a little different?

heart

heart on fire
I could go either way but in the books Mary I think is portrayed as the ISFP and Laura isn't quite that, well, altruistic. Since they're autobiographical Laura's gotta be a little different?

Laura's mother seems more ISFJ and Laura definately rebelling against mother and siding with P type father most of the time. P type father gives her the understanding to see herself and her restlessness as OK. Laura wants to follow her impulses and this provides interesting conflict when shown in the constraints of the times for young women.

Mary seems less restless, more settled and complacent than Laura.

Why would an ISFJ be less altruistic than a ISFP? Altruism was a very socially acceptable quality in a woman at the time, wouldn't the ISFJ's Fe make them be altrusitic as well?

S

Sniffles

I put François-René de Chateaubriand as either INFP or INTP.

Here's an interesting comparison of him with Dostoevsky(INFJ):
Though both underwent similar transformations of their hearts through their faith in Christ, Chateoubriand and Dostoevsky developed different Christian world-views. Chateaubriand developed a dualistic view of Christianity. The fallen world, which is ruled by Satan, remains separated from God's spiritual world, the kingdom of heaven. Thus life in this sinful world is utterly painful, despairing and meaningless. The ideals of Christianity, including love, peace and joy, will only be realized in heaven. Chateaubriand believed that "the Christian always looks upon himself as no more than a pilgrim travelling here below through a vale of tears and finding no repose till he reaches the tomb" (Chateaubriand, 1976, p.297). Only Christians can be hopeful that they will die soon and enter into heaven, where they will experience redemption and the eternal bliss of communing With God....

... At the end of his life Chateaubriand stated, "As it grew, my religious conviction has devoured my other convictions, (but) in this world there is no more believing Christian and no more doubting man than I" (ibid.)....

Chateaubriand grew up during the rise of religious doubt and atheism of the Enlightenment, as he described in Le Genie du Christianisme: "Religion was attacked with every kind of weapon, from the pamphlet to the folio, from the epigram to the sophism. No sooner did a religious book appear than the author was overwhelmed with ridicule, while works which Voltaire was the first to laugh at among his friends were extolled to the skies" (Chateaubriand, 1899, p.124). Many philosophes, such as Denis Diderot, Jean le Pond d'Alembert and Voltaire, were skeptical of the Christian faith because they believed it was based on superstition and irrationality. Enlightenment thinkers assumed that the problems of humanity and society could be solved simply through the application of laws and reforms based on human reason. Many during the "Age of Reason aspired to positivism and scientism, and not to faith in God, as the hope for humanity. When the French Revolution broke out in 1789, angry revolutionaries destroyed stained glass windows, religious statues and entire cathedrals to make the statement that the Catholic Church must be extirpated since it represented the oppression and corruption of the fallen monarchy.

...Chateaubriand debated against the notion of the Enlightenment that humanity is by nature rational, as he said, "Man's heart is the toy of everything, and no one can tell what frivolous circumstance may cause its joys and its sorrows (Chateaubriand, 1899, p.124). He vehemently disagreed with the idea that rational reforms would solve humanity's problems because he saw the inhuman violence of the French Revolution, Chateaubriand believed it was his mission to show that Chris- tianity was a divinely inspired religion. He argued that the aesthetic beauty of Christianity including the mystical rituals and the ornate cathedrals proved that only God could have inspired Christianity. Through his writings Chateaubriand called France to return to its Christian faith, values and traditions.

Christianity in Literary Creation: Chateaubriand and Dostoevsky