• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Scarlett Johansson's type

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm off to bed, but athenian200, just a quick question: How much of your typing is theoretical? Do you know any ISFP and especially ISTP women IRL for comparison?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm... My guess would be either ISTP, as you suggested, or ISFP. Her pragmatism, lack of grandioisity, and present-orientation all suggest SP temperment. However, I think I sensed more Fi than Fe, especially as she spoke of the other people she was associated with. Also, acting doesn't sound like a goal befitting an ISTP, but possibly an ISFP. What do you think?

Comparing her to the ISFPs (both male and females) I know in real life, she was far too abrasive in her word choices and "devil may care" attitude for an ISFP. Most would have considered her language and flippant comments to be insensitive, at best.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Comparing her to the ISFPs (both male and females) I know in real life, she was far too abrasive in her word choices and "devil may care" attitude for an ISFP. Most would have considered her language and flippant comments to be insensitive, at best.

Most test procedures that check T/F are more geared towards detecting Fe than Fi. So an ISFP might test an ISTP. One test wouldn't validate the preference, their actual interactions and word choices have to be observed more carefully. And the ISTP's I know are much less expressive than the ISFP's, and use more descriptions associated with systems, objects, and processes. An Fi would be vulgar if it described her internal state, because they are focused more focused on intensity of their own reaction than on other people's values.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most test procedures that check T/F are more geared towards detecting Fe than Fi. So an ISFP might test an ISTP. One test wouldn't validate the preference, their actual interactions and word choices have to be observed more carefully. And the ISTP's I know are much less expressive than the ISFP's, and use more descriptions associated with systems, objects, and processes. An Fi would be vulgar if it described her internal state, because they are focused more focused on intensity of their own reaction than on other people's values.

Well, the interview wasn't a feeling reaction of any sort, SJ was being impartial and indifferent... and that was simply how she chose to speak.

The ISFPs I know (and in fact I was just talking to one outside before I posted this, my neighbor) might have an anger-reaction and swear ... or if they are around people in a private group (like a male ISFP working in a garage with a few other men), they might use vulgar language... but their gentleness and sensitivity usually prevents them from adopting it as the general rule of thumb in casual conversation with strangers -- which this very public interview with SJ was.

There are many similarities between INFP and ISFP, in terms of their typical gentleness (fueled by Fi). Usually they keep their Fi feelings under wraps and only externalize the Se or Ne part -- exploring abstractions or else exploring sensory impressions, guided by a developed Fi. Introverted feeling seems to add another layer of sensitivity to how people deal with others, something that Ni or Si or Ti does not seem to offer as much of.

Really, I do not see SJ's flippant impersonalness as typical of Fi. There is a flatness to her comments and emotionality that does not seem typical of Fi but is very typical of Ti.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Really, I do not see SJ's flippant impersonalness as typical of Fi. There is a flatness to her comments and emotionality that does not seem typical of Fi but is very typical of Ti.

It was only impersonal from an Fe perspective. Fi doesn't consider others, it considers inner intensity, right?

Also, I didn't really see flatness, but I saw facial expressions and heard some appropriate tonal variance that matched the emotions she was expressing.

Personally, I don't think either one of us would be the best judges, since you're Ti and can't detect emotion easily, and I'm Fe, and tend to see things in terms of emotion even when they aren't.

I think Economica's Te would be best for bringing in another perspective. Since ISTP was her original guess, that's probably a better choice based on the way types are assigned to people, at least via current testing methods.

Still, what do the rest of you think?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Babbling and having a high comfort level with an audience are not surefire indicators of Extroversion. Nor is occasionally being loud.
They don't prove but do support the hypothesis. And being loud and obnoxious at work isn't a typical ISTP trait as far as I know (with friends, maybe).
Like I wrote, SJ's demeanor is lethargic (i.e. she exhibits a relatively low level of interactive energy/animation), and like Jennifer wrote, she seems self-contained.
She doesn't seem (from the interviews) any more lethargic than the Es I know..in fact she seemed rather animated in the long one. Not sure what gives the impression of self-contained. Does seem rather impersonally flirtatious, so I can see the T there. Actually she kinda reminds me of an ENTP I know as well.
Also, to the extent that one believes that actors play variations of themselves, the roles I've seen her in (Ghost World, Lost in Translation, Match Point) have been I characters.
Unprovable; irrelevant.

You all seem to agree that she's I though, so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm too far on the I side so it's skewing my perception.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
You all seem to agree that she's I though, so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm too far on the I side so it's skewing my perception.

No, I agree. ESTP would be my guess. She took to the stage and the attention at too young of an age, and she was willing to throw down a scene at the drop of a hat. She shows herself off in just about every way, doing just about everything one can possibly imagine. I don't see much I in her at all. I'd have to see some pretty overwhelming personal indications of being an I to escape her bio.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Let's tally this up now, shall we?

athenian200: ISFP
Economica, Jennifer: ISTP
ptgatsby, Randomnity: ESTP
Uberfuhrer: xSFP

So we all concur that she's has an SP temperment. Two of us think she's SFP, but the other four think she's STP, so we'll go with that. Of the remaining votes, it's evenly split between ISTP and ESTP. We need more opinions to be certain, but if I'm to choose between ISTP and ESTP, I'd go with ESTP, due to her expressiveness. If we get more opinions that she's SFP, then I'll go with ISFP over ESFP. I doubt anyone will contest the SP temperament?

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
No, I agree. ESTP would be my guess.

(Whaddayaknow! :devil: ;))

She took to the stage and the attention at too young of an age, and she was willing to throw down a scene at the drop of a hat. She shows herself off in just about every way, doing just about everything one can possibly imagine. I don't see much I in her at all. I'd have to see some pretty overwhelming personal indications of being an I to escape her bio.

I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence. She was a child actor like other Is have been. What exactly is it in her bio that belies Introversion?

I'm not sure what you mean by the second sentence either. :) That she dresses provocatively?

Like I wrote in the OP, she reminds me of the ISTP women I know, especially a particularly sultry one. Jennifer also sees the similarity between her and an ISTP she knows IRL. pt, do you know ISTP and ESTP women IRL for comparison and does she really strike you as resembling the latter the most?

Nervously hosting the awards for Scientific/Technical achievements !! ;) (2 minutes)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like I wrote in the OP, she reminds me of the ISTP women I know, especially a particularly sultry one. Jennifer also sees the similarity between her and an ISTP she knows IRL. pt, do you know ISTP and ESTP women IRL for comparison and does she really strike you as resembling the latter the most?

She compares to the ISTP woman I know personally. She is far less like the 2 or 3 ESTP women I know personally. (Although there are similarities.)

Gotta go, have a good day!

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence. She was a child actor like other Is have been. What exactly is it in her bio that belies Introversion?

Not so many throw fits when they don't get parts, even as kids, in order to get the part. She used public displays, even as a child, to get her into things.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second sentence either. :) That she dresses provocatively?

No, not that. She does a lot of things beside act. She's a rather... demonstrative person across the board. Modelling, working with bands... all sorts of stuff. Could an ISTP like this? It's possible, but not as likely in my mind.

The problem is that one has to look at their inner world - friends, family and such, not at their public displays. That's really hard to do... but reading her bio on how she got her roles and what she does across the board strikes me as far more E than I.

pt, do you know ISTP and ESTP women IRL for comparison and does she really strike you as resembling the latter the most?

No ISTP females, but I work with a couple of ESTPs and reading her personal bio reads like their lives as well.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Not so many throw fits when they don't get parts, even as kids, in order to get the part. She used public displays, even as a child, to get her into things.

Would you mind quoting specific tidbits (or just linking to the source) for this?

Personally I'm a big fan of comparing observable behavior in interviews and other clips available on YouTube with that of people I know who are a certain type. I would really like to hear from someone who knows (other ;)) ISTP women and still does not recognize SJ as one.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it was this bio here that talked about her early career.

Thanks for the link. I agree that the fits and tantrums described in these quotes...

The audition went fairly well, the agents being quite keen on elder brother Adrian, but the other children were deemed surplus to requirements. It was about what Melanie had expected. What she certainly didn't expect, though, was the reaction of her youngest daughter, Scarlett, who went into hysterical fits right there in the office. It wasn't so much that Adrian had been chosen above her, or even that Adrian had been chosen despite not caring if he were chosen or not. It was that, even at the age of 7, she so desperately wanted to make it in TV and films.

Scarlett gave up ballet and began the long, painful round of auditions for commercials. Often advertisers would not make it plain what kind of character they were seeking, leaving the likes of Scarlett to sit around for hours only to discover a small Chinese boy was required. When called upon at all, she tried too hard to sell herself, consequently putting potential employers off. She did not react well to this serial rejection and the thwarting of her precocious dreams. After one particularly fraught tantrum on the subway, Melanie decided they would from now on only search for film roles.

...don't scream that she's ISTP, but I don't see them as a definitive argument against it either. My SO's ISTP kid brother (14 years his junior) would go into hysterics up until age 11 (!) whenever my SO would have to leave after spending a week with him and their mother. Granted, due to his past he had reason to react strongly to a father figure leaving, but the point is that if ISTP kids get upset enough, then they aren't able to hide it. From the rest of the bio it is clear that SJ was driven to act from a young age, so I don't view it as impossible that she would become upset enough at not getting to do it to cry in public.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
...don't scream that she's ISTP, but I don't see them as a definitive argument against it either.

Yah, I'm trying to be difficult, but I couldn't argue with the important bits - STP... so I'm picking on the E :D

The E/I is very hard to define though because we can't see her interaction with others easily, on the characters and stuff that gets reported. I would vote for ESTP over ISTP based upon the overall impression I got from her... but that's hardly definitive.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The E/I is very hard to define though because we can't see her interaction with others easily, on the characters and stuff that gets reported. I would vote for ESTP over ISTP based upon the overall impression I got from her... but that's hardly definitive.

Yes, only I am allowed to make "arguments from authority" around here. :D

("Ha ha, my life experience is better / more accurate than your life experience -- just because it is! Ha ha!")

I still lean "I," but I accept your objections as ones that need to be explored, especially regarding the tapestry and behavior of her early life.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
("Ha ha, my life experience is better / more accurate than your life experience -- just because it is! Ha ha!")

I don't know what I'll do once people figure out that the way to sabotage my typings is to pretend to be speaking from personal recognition/experience.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I still lean "I," but I accept your objections as ones that need to be explored, especially regarding the tapestry and behavior of her early life.

Why, I do believe that sounds like...

MORE DATA!

I'm just saying...