• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Natalie Portman's type

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Up front, I definitely agree with Sensor reading for NP. She's very down-to-earth, strong but rather "ordinary" and straight-forward in her thinking.

Even her more imaginative movie roles (including Amidala) were flat when it came to any of the ethereal aspects her performance could have contained. (Compare her against Uma Thurman or Cate Blanchett, two other women actors who seem to evoke something beyond the tangible/obvious. N's tend to evoke more than what is at face value, S's deal more with the face value interpretations.)

NP's strongest roles on the screen actually seem to have been the most "ordinary," whether it was the enigmatic lover of Jude Law in "Closer" or even the daughter of Al Pacino in "Heat." She seems to thrive in a concrete, tangible environment.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
To be honest I think typing her as ISTJ is way off. Just look at her occupation, how many world famous actors are ISTJs? Somehow I doubt they are very many. I could definitely see her as an INFJ, which might explain why she appears "ordinary". Wikipedia says about her beliefs:

Portman has advocated for environmental causes from a young age, becoming a member of the environmental song and dance troupe at age twelve. She is a self-proclaimed "animal lover," and has been a vegetarian since she was eight years old.

Sounds quite NF-ish to me ...

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
To be honest I think typing her as ISTJ is way off. Just look at her occupation, how many world famous actors are ISTJs? Somehow I doubt they are very many.

It is likely that certain types are underrepresented in acting; however, that is not an argument against a specific actor being a particular type.

Similarly, championing environmentalism, being a vegetarian and loving animals are not surefire indicators of NF.

Have you seen the interviews & do you know any ISTJ women IRL for comparison?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds quite NF-ish to me ...

I disagree. S's are quite capable of these things as well. It's mostly a matter of how they are pursued and enacted. In fact, the description you provide are things I have commonly seen in ISFP women.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
It is likely that certain types are underrepresented in acting; however, that is not an argument against a specific actor being a particular type.

Actually it is. Because there are few female ISTJ actors, concluding a female actor is one, would need more evidence. Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof.

Similarly, championing environmentalism, being a vegetarian and loving animals are not surefire indicators of NF.

I never said, but it is a pretty good indicator. NFs are known as idealists. Does NP sound like one? Yes.

Have you seen the interviews & do you know any ISTJ women IRL for comparison?

I just saw the David Letterman interview, but I am a huge Star Wars fan, so I have seen many, many interviews with her before. I definitely think she came off as NF. The vacation argument against Bush was definitely clever and intuitive in nature.

As for my experience with ISTJ women it is very limited, although my grandmother might have been one. As for INFJs my mother is one, so I definitely have some experience with them.

I disagree. S's are quite capable of these things as well. It's mostly a matter of how they are pursued and enacted. In fact, the description you provide are things I have commonly seen in ISFP women.

It is impossible for any of us to prove anything, we might only find indications of her type. ISFP sounds very unlikely to be her type, by the way. How many ISFPs attend Harvard?

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
the most S girl i ever knew was an animal rights/environmentalist champion though not a vegetarian.

i just loved that :devil:

regarding NP i have this strange notion that eigther shes an ISTJ or a stray INTx

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Actually it is. Because there are few female ISTJ actors, concluding a female actor is one, would need more evidence. Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof.

I would reply to this post, but I am currently unable to be patient with other INTJs. :doh: Will someone else please do it for me? :)

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I would reply to this post, but I am currently unable to be patient with other INTJs. :doh: Will someone else please do it for me? :)

Hehe, I am not saying your claim is extraordinary. "Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof" only meant to say something about how when something is less probable, you need more evidence to prove it.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hehe, I am not saying your claim is extraordinary. "Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof" only meant to say something about how when something is less probable, you need more evidence to prove it.

I understand the saying. What I find exasperating is your naive approach to typing coupled with your INXJ certitude. In a few months (when my own days of smug closed-mindedness are farther behind me :rolleyes:) I'm sure I'll be able to constructively argue with other INXJs, but for now, sadly, I can only ignore you or trash you, and you don't deserve the latter (yet :devil:).

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I am just curious... What do you think is my approach? What is so naive about it?

Sorry. I would if I could, but I can't. Get back to me in six months if no one else jumps into this thread to explain what I mean.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Sorry. I would if I could, but I can't. Get back to me in six months if no one else jumps into this thread to explain what I mean.

I suck at explaining my views, and even more so in English, which I think might have caused you to misread me. At this point, I don't know if I even want to post any more on this board (though I might continue to read) because there is really no point in me trying to express myself, it just always seem to fail. There is no point in discussing your views with others if you are unable to communicate your views.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is impossible for any of us to prove anything, we might only find indications of her type. ISFP sounds very unlikely to be her type, by the way. How many ISFPs attend Harvard?

I understand that. I was simply dealing with the notion that the traits you listed had to somehow be "NF" traits. They are not categorically NF traits, I've definitely and commonly seen them in SF's among others.

Honestly, Portman comes off more as an SJ. But I will have to do the research, this is just my initial impression.

[I don't know how many ISFPs attend Harvard, but the only weight I see in that sort of argument is that ISFPs tend not to be disciplined at their studies and would seem to have trouble keeping up with such a rigorous academic itinerary....]

Because there are few female ISTJ actors, concluding a female actor is one, would need more evidence. Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof.

I do see where you are getting at here. I do not think it's on the level of "extraordinary," but it's just one factor to consider among many.

Still, in terms of typing, I would be less concerned that she is an actor and more concerned in her style of acting:

1. What roles does she excel at? What roles has she seemed misplaced in?
2. How does she prepare for a role? How does she practice?
3. How does she interact with others when the cameras stop?
4. What are her priorities when acting? Methodology? Philosophy of acting?

All of those things, I think, would tip us more off to her type than just the fact she happens to be an actor. All the data just works together to give a clearer picture.

I suck at explaining my views, and even more so in English,

What is your native tongue, Splittet? I didn't even realize you weren't naturally trained in English... (It seemed coherent and casual enough to me.)

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I suck at explaining my views, and even more so in English, which I think might have caused you to misread me. At this point, I don't know if I even want to post any more on this board (though I might continue to read) because there is really no point in me trying to express myself, it just always seem to fail. There is no point in discussing your views with others if you are unable to communicate your views.

Aw, dude, don't let my INTJ allergy chase you away. :doh:

Won't someone please nicely explain to Splittet the demerits of his approach to typing? :puppy_dog_eyes:

Edit: Thank you Jen. :happy:

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I understand that. I was simply dealing with the notion that the traits you listed had to somehow be "NF" traits. They are not categorically NF traits, I've definitely and commonly seen them in SF's among others.

I agree, they are not categorically NF traits at all (and I never claimed so). They just tend to be most common among NFs, that doesn’t mean they don’t exist among other types.

What is your native tongue, Splittet? I didn't even realize you weren't naturally trained in English... (It seemed coherent and casual enough to me.)

I am Norwegian, so my native tongue is Norwegian.

Last edited by a moderator:

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree, they are not categorically NF traits at all (and I never claimed so). They just tend to be most common among NFs, that doesn’t mean they don’t exist among other types.

Exactly. That's why one can't use those traits (or the profession of acting) as a definitive argument against someone being ISTJ.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Exactly. That's why one can't use those traits (or the profession of acting) as a definitive argument against someone being ISTJ.

And I never did, I just saw them as strong indications. I understand I see them as much stronger indications than you though, but as definitive proof? No. I still think there is a chance she is ISTJ, but that they are very slim.