• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Doctor Who

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry, no. I can't really imagine Pertwee or Hartnell speaking like that. They were scientists.
Hartnell and Pertwee also didn't enjoy interaction with humans nearly as much as Ten. Hartnell in particular saw humans with something approaching disdain, being a rather grumpy old fuck. Pertwee, while nowhere near as grumpy, still isolated himself from humanity. He felt little need to explain things unless necessary, let alone in terms people would understand. Indeed, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart often told Pertwee to translate his technobabble into plain English. Notice that neither of them is nearly as Fe as Ten, Pertwee's Doctor being Fe-inferior (ISTP) and Hartnell's lacking any Fe whatsoever (INTJ).

And there's my point again. Just because you wouldn't behave a certain way doesn't meant that it's not Fi. Not everything in Fi is defined by what you would do.
Question dodge. Empathy and sympathy are a part of Fe's definition. Fi is more internal, rooted in internally held values.

Give me a break. I know plenty of smart and intelligent people that can't think on their feet. Ti doms, for example, need time and space to think. ENTPs are known for brainstorming quickly. That's just what we do.
The very definition you cited debunks you. It mentions nothing about thinking on one's feet, but rather envisioning many possibilities and interpreting facts that are not readily apparent. Se-dominants can think on their feet for example, athletes do it all the time.

I beg to differ. The Master is ENTJ. The evil overlord. And guess what ENTJs use? That's right, Fi.
That is... precisely what I just said (Simm's Master is ENTJ, thus Fi-inferior in contrast to the heroic Fe Doctor), thanks for reinforcing my argument. :newwink:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
jeno I just wanted to say I miss you. I figured I'd post it here as this is the only thread you seem to post on in a regular fashion.

I would like to say however that as my intj boyfriend and I was were watching movies and chatting about books, I discovered I am morally offended by time travel.

It's like you and the sloths-there is just something wrong and creepy about messing with timelines for me. It is an Fi principal it appears.

Thus I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread-except hugs! yeah I guess boy enfp can have a hug too, but nothing like your hug...

*skips out of the creepy time travel thread*

bye!

Awww, I :heart: you!!! (up until you mentioned the sloths, that is :cry:)

No need to miss me, girl - just send me a PM and I'll be back in a flash.

(and what INTJ boyfriend???)

sculpting

Awww, I :heart: you!!! (up until you mentioned the sloths, that is :cry:)

No need to miss me, girl - just send me a PM and I'll be back in a flash.

(and what INTJ boyfriend???)

typing up that PM in just a moment....;)

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Hartnell and Pertwee also didn't enjoy interaction with humans nearly as much as Ten. Hartnell in particular saw humans with something approaching disdain, being a rather grumpy old fuck. Pertwee, while nowhere near as grumpy, still isolated himself from humanity. He felt little need to explain things unless necessary, let alone in terms people would understand. Indeed, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart often told Pertwee to translate his technobabble into plain English.

Question dodge. Empathy and sympathy are a part of Fe's definition. Fi is more internal, rooted in internally held values.

The very definition you cited debunks you. It mentions nothing about thinking on one's feet, but rather envisioning many possibilities and interpreting facts that are not readily apparent. Se-dominants can think on their feet for example, athletes do it all the time.

That is... precisely what I just said (Simm's Master is ENTJ, thus Fi-inferior in contrast to the heroic Fe Doctor), thanks for reinforcing my argument. :newwink:

I don't have time to go point by point right now, but I will when I get home later... what I want to say right now is that you are talking in circular references and not being specific or coherent. I KNOW that the Doctor uses Fe. I'm arguing that TENNANT's Doctor uses Fi. Aderack is arguing the same thing. We are stating that Tennant's Doctor is ENFP and that the Doctor overall is ENTP.

And nothing I quoted debunks me and no questions were dodged. Go back in both threads and see exactly how many points that me and Aderack have made that you have flat out ignored, and then tell me who is dodging what.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't have time to go point by point right now, but I will when I get home later... what I want to say right now is that you are talking in circular references and not being specific or coherent. I KNOW that the Doctor uses Fe. I'm arguing that TENNANT's Doctor uses Fi. Aderack is arguing the same thing. We are stating that Tennant's Doctor is ENFP and that the Doctor overall is ENTP.
What the other Doctors were is irrelevant at this point. The case I am making is that the Tennant Doctor (as opposed to any other Doctor) is Fe. You, once again, fail at reading comprehension.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Why is it irrelevant? Since when has it been irrelevant - that's what we were talking about. You can't change the rules mid-game.

And you can tuck your bravado back into your pants. Mine is definitely bigger than yours.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Doctor's ENTP. Even in the new series, where they've pretty much ruined his character, he's still ENTP. That much they really didn't change.

LOL @ at the idea of the 4th Doctor being F. Go back and watch Pyramids of Mars or Planet of Evil or The Invasion Of Time or The Seeds of Doom or etc etc etc..

The Doctor's always thinking. He often has to be reminded to feel. Just because some of his incarnations seem friendlier than others doesn't change that. When he acts on instinct, that's when humans usually don't like him, because he's not nearly as nice.

Aleksei, you paint a very limited picture of Hartnell too. Very early on, he seemed to have some disdain for humans (though it was really more disdain for anyone he perceived to be too primitive) but that softened tremendously as his time went on. By the end of the Hartnell era, the Doctor had been a crusader for human causes for some time.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why is it irrelevant? Since when has it been irrelevant - that's what we were talking about.
We were talking about Ten, whom is very obviously your focal point of contention. Now let's see how I'm wrong (I'm not but still).

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Doctor's ENTP. Even in the new series, where they've pretty much ruined his character, he's still ENTP. That much they really didn't change.
So... a man who plans shit out for millenia like Seven is an ENTP? Good to know.

LOL @ at the idea of the 4th Doctor being F. Go back and watch Pyramids of Mars or Planet of Evil or The Invasion Of Time or The Seeds of Doom or etc etc etc..
One- I just mentioned that the Doctor is overall INTP because he displays Ti-Ne even in incarnations that display other functions that otherwise don't fit. Two- Four displays marked amounts of Te in addition to the ever-present Ti (as well as Fi rather than Fe), which is the tertiary ENFP function.

The Doctor's always thinking. He often has to be reminded to feel. Just because some of his incarnations seem friendlier than others doesn't change that. When he acts on instinct, that's when humans usually don't like him, because he's not nearly as nice.
Spurious. ENFPs can think, we have a tertiary Thinking function. If you don't believe me, take a look at all the Te oozing out of damn near every post I've made here. He's still an Fi-auxiliary overall, displaying far more Fi than he does Fe. He can be a downright selfish git at times, but is filled with moralistic fervor as seen in his tirades against tyranny (if you're referring to Four here, that is).

Aleksei, you paint a very limited picture of Hartnell too. Very early on, he seemed to have some disdain for humans (though it was really more disdain for anyone he perceived to be too primitive) but that softened tremendously as his time went on. By the end of the Hartnell era, the Doctor had been a crusader for human causes for some time.
One only truly softened up towards his companions, not towards the outside world as a whole. While he did indeed become a very grandfatherly figure, he still seemed to prefer isolation from those "inferior" and "annoying" humans. He only seemed to actually start to champion human worth with Two, and even that wasn't complete until Three (though he was less so than Four, what with Three's annoyance at many human tendencies). The only absolutely pro-human Doctors would be Five (INFP), Eight (INFJ), and Ten (ENTP), however - Eleven remains to be seen, but he seems to be more alien in nature than Ten ever was.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Spurious. ENFPs can think, we have a tertiary Thinking function.

This goes without saying, everyone thinks. But to make it seem like ENTPs can't plan or whatever you were trying to assert is ridiculous. Do you even know any ENTPs?

If you don't believe me, take a look at all the Te oozing out of damn near every post I've made here.

:rofl1:

This line was enough to make me stop and realize how ridiculous this conversation is. I don't think you thoroughly understand what the functions are and how they operate. Ok fine, who cares? You seem set on The Doctor being what you want him to be. Fine, great. Go in peace. See ya! :hi:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
personally, i like it when others think i can't plan.

feeds right into my plan.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This goes without saying, everyone thinks. But to make it seem like ENTPs can't plan or whatever you were trying to assert is ridiculous. Do you even know any ENTPs?
ENTPs can plan, but not in the long term, not in the way Seven does. Ne Ti is a far too mentally disorganized process combination to allow it. As a general rule ENTPs just wing it, their strength being, as you said before, thinking on their feet.

This line was enough to make me stop and realize how ridiculous this conversation is. I don't think you thoroughly understand what the functions are and how they operate. Ok fine, who cares? You seem set on The Doctor being what you want him to be. Fine, great. Go in peace. See ya! :hi:
This can be summed up in one word: Uncle. :jew: Bye then. :bye:

I'm actually starting to seriously doubt you're an ENTP. Ti represents a sharp attentiveness to the intricacies and specifics of a situation, object, or principle; which you seem to severely lack. Twice already you've failed to comprehend one of my arguments, to your own detriment, and you linked to one source that does nothing but reinforce my own argument, indicating you either didn't read it or didn't comprehend it. And then there's the fact you chose to respond to my last post as if it was addressed to you (it was addressed to the idiot that posted below you, who seems to think that "he can think" is a valid argument for T), which indicates Fi use... :jew:

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Wow, what a debate here. For whatever it's worth (not very much, I'll wager), I think the Doctor is fundamentally ENTP, but David Tennant's Doctor was written with a ton of Fi (and I think that Tennant himself is ENFP, which comes through). Matt Smith's Doctor seems to have very poorly developed Fe and seems insensitive to/dismissive of social norms and niceties in many cases.

Just watched "Vincent and the Doctor." I still think that Amy is an incredibly poorly/inconsistently-drawn character, but I am coming around to the idea that she's ENFP.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm actually starting to seriously doubt you're an ENTP.

Yeah, you caught me. :rolli:

(it was addressed to the idiot that posted below you,

That was a very rude and unnecessary response.

Just watched "Vincent and the Doctor." I still think that Amy is an incredibly poorly/inconsistently-drawn character, but I am coming around to the idea that she's ENFP.

Good observations. I would agree with you there. She's definitely an NFP - I waver between I and E, leaning towards I on most days. I also think she's been inconsistently drawn so it's hard to tell. I actually liked that episode but I still can't understand Amy. I guess we'll figure out more once we learn her story - where her parents are, where her aunt is, why that crack is following her. All of that stuff may be the key to why she appears so random to us.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Twice already you've failed to comprehend one of my arguments, to your own detriment, and you linked to one source that does nothing but reinforce my own argument, indicating you either didn't read it or didn't comprehend it.
Dude, you haven't made any arguments. All you've done is assert. (That's Fi speaking.) In the face of extensive, well-supported and extensively reasoned counter-arguments (that's Ti), you remain deathly silent.

When you do reply, you ignore most of the reasoning, dismiss most of the rest with a handwave, and then respond to one or two buried nuggets with a bewildering lack of understanding of the functions and how they exhibit themselves in a working model.

The only Te that you've been exhibiting is in your insistence that the model comport itself to your own a priori needs and assumptions. And if it doesn't, you'll make it fit.

To put it more simply, your belligerence is second only to your ignorance. All considered, you are a horrible bore.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Aleksei, you know what I meant by "thinking" in the Myers-Briggs sense. Obviously, we can all think. But if you are going to use MBT letters, then you can't act like you don't know that the letters represent differences. And the name-calling really doesn't help your point, dude.

From what I've seen of Amy so far (up to "The Hungry Earth") I think she's SP. Haven't really seen any evidence of "N" yet. Seems more utilitarian and sensation-seeking to me.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
From what I've seen of Amy so far (up to "The Hungry Earth") I think she's SP. Haven't really seen any evidence of "N" yet. Seems more utilitarian and sensation-seeking to me.

Yeah, she does have a lot of S qualities. That's why I'm conflicted. ENFPs can be really sensation seeking, too. And she also has a very dreamy quality to her. She's a tough one to figure out. But I guess we can all agree on xxFP... that's a start, at least.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dude, you haven't made any arguments. All you've done is assert. (That's Fi speaking.) In the face of extensive, well-supported and extensively reasoned counter-arguments (that's Ti), you remain deathly silent.

When you do reply, you ignore most of the reasoning, dismiss most of the rest with a handwave, and then respond to one or two buried nuggets with a bewildering lack of understanding of the functions and how they exhibit themselves in a working model.

The only Te that you've been exhibiting is in your insistence that the model comport itself to your own a priori needs and assumptions. And if it doesn't, you'll make it fit.

To put it more simply, your belligerence is second only to your ignorance. All considered, you are a horrible bore.
This is basically just one huge-ass ad hom fallacy (thus a cheap dodge), and wholly incorrect in any case. I don't handwave away arguments, I just respond to the general gist of the response (for example, your argument had the problem that it ignores Ten's basic motivation: Fe symathy rather than Fi values) rather than whittling down the little details and being dickish about it -- which is a waste of time and risks veering the discussion off-topic.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aleksei, you know what I meant by "thinking" in the Myers-Briggs sense. Obviously, we can all think. But if you are going to use MBT letters, then you can't act like you don't know that the letters represent differences.
Of course not. I'm just pointing out that while NF Doctors are generally nearly as Thinking as NT Doctors, their objective reasoning takes a different shape -- heavily Te in addition to the ever-present Ti.