• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
The only way I can see of ISFJ as being a possibility is if we say that what looks like stereotypical Te behavior is actually Fe, or motivated by Fe.
The ISFJ possibility could also be explained if there were something in the circumstances of Hermione's environment, something in the circumstances of her upbringing, or something in the circumstances of her life at Hogwarts that would've brought out the T side of her personality more than normal. I'm not saying that I can name any such circumstances. They probably don't even exist. I just feel like pointing out there's so many tiny little nuances and ways of looking at Hermione that any one of them could explain why she might in fact be ISFJ who displays more T-like tendencies than the typical ISFJ would. I don't think there's ever an end to the possibilities that can be used in explaining something about someone's type.

So, while I agree that ISTJ is more likely, I think that there's so many ways that we could look at Hermione that we can't ever truly rule out the possiblity of her being something else.

A person's type is never, ever completely certain. I stand by that.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Why don't people want to consider Hermione as an NT or NF?
NJ's are real sticklers for the rules too. .ya know.. ;)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Why don't people want to consider Hermione as an NT or NF?
NJ's are real sticklers for the rules too. .ya know.. ;)

People make judgments based on what they want to see, and hold on for dear life to them.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
People make judgments based on what they want to see, and hold on for dear life to them.
Hermione was a genius and an incredibly resourceful young witch. Why on earth wouldn't I want to claim her as an INFJ?

On another note, OneWithSoul, I have to admit that I'm surprised you're so certain Dumbledore's an INFJ. Didn't you say that Jesus and Gandhi couldn't be INFJ's because they were too smart and too proficient at strategy to be anything but INTJ's? Dumbledore was quite a genius in his own right and had strategic skills and intelligence comparable to that of Gandhi and Jesus. If you're willing to accept than INFJ can be as smart as Dumbledore is, then why aren't you accepting than an INFJ could be as smart as Gandhi and Jesus were?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
NJ's are real sticklers for the rules too. .ya know..
No, we're not. NJ's, by nature, go against the rules. Are we sticklers for rules? Sure. But those happen to be our rules. As in, the abstract system of rules that we spend our whole lives bulding in our minds. We could care less about sticking to society's rules, though.

It is highly, highly unlikely that an NJ would hold the same kind of unquestioning devotion to society's rules that Hermione does. Fact.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Hermione was a genius and an incredibly resourceful young witch. Why on earth wouldn't I want to claim her as an INFJ?

On another note, OneWithSoul, I have to admit that I'm surprised you're so certain Dumbledore's an INFJ. Didn't you say that Jesus and Gandhi couldn't be INFJ's because they were too smart and too proficient at strategy to be anything but INTJ's? Dumbledore was quite a genius in his own right and had strategic skills and intelligence comparable to that of Gandhi and Jesus. If you're willing to accept than INFJ can be as smart as Dumbledore is, then why aren't you accepting than an INFJ could be as smart as Gandhi and Jesus were?

I said Jesus and Ghandi could not have been INFPs. Again- people were judging them to be so because they were dreaming-loving-caring-peaceful-leaders.

I once said Jesus and Ghandi were INTJs. I don't necessarily stand by that anymore, because I think INFJ is a better fit.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
No, we're not. NJ's, by nature, go against the rules. Are we sticklers for rules? Sure. But those happen to be our rules. As in, the abstract system of rules that we spend our whole lives bulding in our minds. We could care less about sticking to society's rules, though.

It is highly, highly unlikely that an NJ would hold the same kind of unquestioning devotion to society's rules that Hermione does. Fact.

I hope you know that you aren't speaking for every NJ when they say that.

I clearly know many NJs who are sticklers for rules.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I hope you know that you aren't speaking for every NJ when they say that.

I clearly know many NJs who are sticklers for rules.
I'm not speaking for all NJ's. That's why I said "It is highly, highly unlikely that an NJ would hold the same kind of unquestioning devotion to society's rules that Hermione does. Fact."

As opposed to:

"It is impossible that an NJ would hold the same kind of unquestioning devotion to society's rules that Hermione does. Fact."

Again- people were judging them to be so because they were dreaming-loving-caring-peaceful-leaders.
I don't recall that. When Quinlan made that thread saying that he thought Gandhi was an INFP, his argument and reasoning behind it went quite a bit deeper than four words like "dreaming-loving-caring-peaceful."

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not speaking for all NJ's. That's why I said "It is highly, highly unlikely that an NJ would hold the same kind of unquestioning devotion to society's rules that Hermione does. Fact."

As opposed to:

"It is impossible that an NJ would hold the same kind of unquestioning devotion to society's rules that Hermione does. Fact."

Hermione plays by the rules but still goes against social acceptablity a lot. SPEW for example. Amongst other things.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't really see how Hermione could possibly be N. She was an ISxJ postergirl through and through. Completely focused on the established rules. Completely focused on a literal model of the way the Harry Potter world was (S), not at all focused on creating an abstract internal model of the way she thought the world should be (N).

totally wrong. Shes always protesting something. She sticks to the rules at first but later on becomes dissillusioned.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I think the difficulty in seeing ISTJ for Hermy in some people is really that they have a poor understanding of how SJs work. Which isn't surprising, since there are so few here and most people view them as close minded simpletons based on their frustrations with their everyday lives. Saying Hermy can't be an ISTJ because she plots against the government is absurd. ISTJs get their values by incorporating existing values and learned experiences into their personal "compass." Their internal perceptions are stored and collected over time to provide a good benchmark for making future decisions and judgments. If their upbringing does not include a set of values from some institution, they're not going to respect and adhere to that institution if they conflict with what they have already experienced.

Hermione was muggle born, so she brought her already strong work ethic with her to the wizarding world, but from there, her exposure to the wizarding world was completely dominated by the perspectives and experiences she gained of Hogwarts, Harry, and Dumbledore's methods. When the Ministry began to conflict and move against what she knew [Hogwarts, Harry, Dumbledore] it only makes sense she'd be loyal to those she had grown up with and loved.

Saying she must be an N because she plots and moves against the government is silly, and shows a lack of comprehension, interpretation, and respect for Hermy's character and SJs in general.

Niaurus

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
By the way, it's Hermione that comes up with the "Dumbledore's Army" idea. Harry and Ron were amazed of Hermione not going by the rules. Although, she later was unsure about this decision. Even more after the Sirius'-head-in-the-fireplace talk. She was considering if they were doing the right thing. I suppose many of You remember more from the movie than from the book. In the movie, she says "It's sorta exciting isn't it? Breaking the rules..". Well, not exactly.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
ISFJ. Si: "It is right to do your schoolwork well" "It is wrong for intelligent beings to be held in servitude, because that's what I was taught (in primary school)" "It is wrong for the government to be acting in such a way". Fe: "I will help my friends in a bad situation because they'll always do the same for me". "I empathize with the house elves because I would hate to be in their situation". "I want to do well in school because I want people to be proud of me, and I am proud of successful people".

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jock: Very, VERY good posting.

INFJs can make mistakes.

OH SHIT, there goes my carefully built world view. Now I see why Dumbledore is an INFJ!!1

But a few posters were saying that Dumbledore was an INTP because of his major screw up in the 7th book, when they obviously can't see that it was all because he was in love.

Who are those "few posters"? I personally didn't say anything like that, I didn't even imply it.

Nyx

Averaging how many times I've read each book in the series I would say I have read the entire series five times. Secretly, I have not been able to reconcile with that fact... except for a)I read A LOT of ...errr...more intellectual/substantial things and I will admit I really love the books... can't help it.
Seriously though, with my keen Myers Briggs typing skills and intense Harry Potter knowledge I will type as many characters as I can...

Harry- ISFP
Ron- ESFP
Hermione- ISTJ

Luna Lovegood- INFP
Neville Longbottom-ISFP

Dumbledore- INFJ
Snape- INTJ
McGonagall- ESTJ

Arthur Weasely- ENTP
Molly Weasley- ESFJ
Percy Weasley- ISFJ
Fred and George Weasley- ESTP... George might be an ISTP, he is quieter/the less dominant twin.
Ginny Weasley- ESFP
Bill Weasley- ESTP

James Potter- ESTP
Lily Potter- INFJ
Sirius Black- ENTP
Remus Lupin- INFP
Mad-Eye Moody- ISTJ
Kingsley Shacklebolt- ENTJ?
Tonks- ESTP

Voldemort- INTJ
Lucius Malfoy- ESTJ
Narcissa Malfoy- ISTJ
Draco Malfoy- ESTP

Fleur Delacour- ENFP

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Averaging how many times I've read each book in the series I would say I have read the entire series five times. Secretly, I have not been able to reconcile with that fact... except for a)I read A LOT of ...errr...more intellectual/substantial things and I will admit I really love the books... can't help it.
Seriously though, with my keen Myers Briggs typing skills and intense Harry Potter knowledge I will type as many characters as I can...

Harry- ISFP
Ron- ESFP
Hermione- ISTJ

Luna Lovegood- INFP
Neville Longbottom-ISFP

Dumbledore- INFJ
Snape- INTJ
McGonagall- ESTJ

Arthur Weasely- ENTP
Molly Weasley- ESFJ
Percy Weasley- ISFJ
Fred and George Weasley- ESTP... George might be an ISTP, he is quieter/the less dominant twin.
Ginny Weasley- ESFP
Bill Weasley- ESTP

James Potter- ESTP
Lily Potter- INFJ
Sirius Black- ENTP
Remus Lupin- INFP
Mad-Eye Moody- ISTJ
Kingsley Shacklebolt- ENTJ?
Tonks- ESTP

Voldemort- INTJ
Lucius Malfoy- ESTJ
Narcissa Malfoy- ISTJ
Draco Malfoy- ESTP

Fleur Delacour- ENFP

I second this.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
*Resists the tempation to dive in to another Dumbledore=INTP and Voldemort=ENTJ conversation*

Nyx

*Resists the tempation to dive in to another Dumbledore=INTP and Voldemort=ENTJ conversation*

Ok, now that I think about it, Voldemort is a straight up ENTJ. He implements his ideas on people. He needs to control people/lead etc... I have no idea why I overlooked this.

To back up the INFJ claim for Dumbledore, refer to the many descriptions of Dumbledore seeming to X-ray people with his eyes, his primary function to me seems to be Introvert Intuition, he had many hunches that were correct (a good example is his trust of Snape), and he can tell how people will react and what they will do (think him giving Ron the Deluminator because he knew that Ron would leave the trio at some point, he would lose his way) , and I think he is driven by Fe ...for the greater good as a means to an end...

I would like to hear your thoughts on why he is an INTP. Just because he is brilliant does not mean he has to be an NT...
He is definitely a Judging function because he planned out the entire course of defeating Voldemort, and carefully,patiently worked away at it for many years.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Anyone think that Voldemort might just be an ENFP gone horribly wrong? Tom Riddle was quite the smooth talker...