• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

evangela

MBTI Type
INFP
I agree with ISFJ for Harry.

He reminds me so much of my mum (ISFJ) who also lost her parents at a very young age.
Always trying to make them proud in some way and attracted to anything which reminds him of them.
i also do this for the people whom I love to a certain extent with my Si.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Harry is a clear ISFP.

He has NO concern whatsoever for adhering to community standards (Fe) OR for doing anything by the book (Si.)

His entire modus operandi for the series is based on internal values/sticking up what he knows to be right via Fi (Fi is often the most celebrated value in fantasy novels, hence the FP penchant for writing fiction) and leaping in unprepared/figuring out everything purely by concrete personal experience and learning on the fly (Se).

There's nothing J about him at all--he clearly values internal order/consistency far, far more than external.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Dumbledore started out as a clear INFJ. But somewhere towards the end of book four, where Dumbledore had that sinister, detached "look of triumph" in his eyes upon hearing the news of Voldemort's return, he started to morph into some kind of NT. I think he was an INTJ. One thing is certain, and it's that Dumbledore did a VERY good job of developing some kind of F later in his life, and I think an INTJ would be most likely of the NT's to do that with their tertiary Fi.

As for the movies, I think Richard Harris did an exquisite job of portraying Dumbledore as INFJ in the first two films. I always considered Richard Harris's Dumbledore as the poster boy for what the archetypal 'INFJ wise old man/mentor' looks like- deep, mystical, secure, and graceful. Then Michael Gambon came along and portrayed Dumbledore as much more of an xNTP- rough, scheming, detached, agressive, and analytical.

And of course, it definitely makes me snicker a bit when people use such inaccurate and arrogant ways of typing someone (or not typing someone) as this:
If an INTP is not good at something he takes an active interest in, then he's not an INTP.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, Dumbledore seems to be an INFJ according to the first five books. After reading the seventh one, I can't possibly imagine why anybody would type him as an NF. INTP (the 'chameleon type') seems possible, though he was a lot more organized even in his youth. I believe he's an INTJ with well developed tertiary Fi.

Harry is an ISFP, Hermione ISTJ. They become more mature after a while, that's it.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think Hermione was ISFJ. The whole "academically competitive, obssessed with being top in her class" seems very ISFJ to me. When my ISFJ mom was a student, she used her Fe to constantly obsess about winning academic awards, getting the best grades in class, basically spending her time chasing tangible evidence and numbers that she was the best student around. That seems like Si to me right there- measuring your academic worth based on statistics. My mom told me plenty of stories about how she would constantly sneak around her classroom trying to make sure that she was getting better grades than everyone else. And that's something Hermione does quite a bit of in the books.

Not to mention the whole S.P.E.W thing Hermione got involved in. Does everyone remember that? How she was constantly trying to give house elves better rights and created the S.P.E.W organization for it. I have a hard time believing that a Te user would've gotten as obsessed in a moral issue like that as Hermione did.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Dumbledore started out as a clear INFJ. But somewhere towards the end of book four, where Dumbledore had that sinister, detached "look of triumph" in his eyes upon hearing the news of Voldemort's return, he started to morph into some kind of NT. I think he was an INTJ. One thing is certain, and it's that Dumbledore did a VERY good job of developing some kind of F later in his life, and I think an INTJ would be most likely of the NT's to do that with their tertiary Fi.

As for the movies, I think Richard Harris did an exquisite job of portraying Dumbledore as INFJ in the first two films. I always considered Richard Harris's Dumbledore as the poster boy for what the archetypal 'INFJ wise old man/mentor' looks like- deep, mystical, secure, and graceful. Then Michael Gambon came along and portrayed Dumbledore as much more of an xNTP- rough, scheming, detached, agressive, and analytical.

And of course, it definitely makes me snicker a bit when people use such inaccurate and arrogant ways of typing someone (or not typing someone) as this:

Yes, Dumbledore seems to be an INFJ according to the first five books. After reading the seventh one, I can't possibly imagine why anybody would type him as an NF. INTP (the 'chameleon type') seems possible, though he was a lot more organized even in his youth. I believe he's an INTJ with well developed tertiary Fi.

Harry is an ISFP, Hermione ISTJ. They become more mature after a while, that's it.

He planned the entire series all the way down to Harry's final confrontation with Voldemort.

[Even Snape had to exclaim, "You have used me. I have spied for you, lied for you, put myself in mortal danger for you. Everything was supposed to be to keep Lily Potter's son safe. Now you tell me you have been raising him like a pig for slaughter!" To which Dumbledore replied, "But this is touching, Severus. Have you grown to care for the boy, after all?" And later, "I prefer not to put all my secrets in one basket, particularly not a basket that spends so much time dangling on the arm of Lord Voldemort."]

When an INTJ has a fine-tuned Ni and Fi, they can 'mimic' an INFJ persona as it fits into their Grand Plan.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
He planned the entire series all the way down to Harry's final confrontation with Voldemort. (Even Snape had to exclaim, "Now you tell me you have been raising him like a pig for slaughter!") When an INTJ has a fine-tuned Ni and Fi, they can 'mimic' an INFJ persona as it fits into their Grand Plan.
What're you suggesting? That an INTJ is superior to an INFJ? An INFJ with a fine-tuned Ni and Ti could replicate the INTJ's 'ingenious master planner' abilities the same way an INTJ with fine-tuned Fi could replicate an INFJ's 'great spiritual master' abilities.

I don't think Dumbledore ever did anything a balanced, well-developed INFJ wouldn't be capable of, I just think that his decision making process showed that he favored his T over his F, even if that F was VERY well-developed.

I think that, seeing as how INFJ's and INTJ's are the most perfectionistic types and are most likely to spend their lives obsessing over the task of carrying out their Ni vision, those two types are most likely to develop their inferior functions as an aid to carrying out their Ni visions. I think Dumbledore was a good example of what an INTJ looks like when one does that.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I think Hermione was ISFJ. The whole "academically competitive, obssessed with being top in her class" seems very ISFJ to me. When my ISFJ mom was a student, she used her Fe to constantly obsess about winning academic awards, getting the best grades in class, basically spending her time chasing tangible evidence and numbers that she was the best student around. That seems like Si to me right there- measuring your academic worth based on statistics. My mom told me plenty of stories about how she would constantly sneak around her classroom trying to make sure that she was getting better grades than everyone else. And that's something Hermione does quite a bit of in the books.
Just because ISFJs can be obsessed with their grades doesn't mean they have a monopoly on it :D I don't think we see any Fe from her.
Not to mention the whole S.P.E.W thing Hermione got involved in. Does everyone remember that? How she was constantly trying to give house elves better rights and created the S.P.E.W organization for it. I have a hard time believing that a Te user would've gotten as obsessed in a moral issue like that as Hermione did.

Nope, I promise you that an interest in human (or in this case elf) rights is not at all out of line for a Te user. I've been known to take a very keen interest in such topics, and even tried to start a human rights club at my school when I was 16. That's what tertiary Fi does to ya sometimes.

I'm casting my vote for ISTJ (although I question the I a little, she's very outspoken).

EDIT: Also, I'm tired of this ITxJ's don't care about moral issues crap. *pout*

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What're you suggesting? That an INTJ is superior to an INFJ? An INFJ with a fine-tuned Ni and Ti could replicate the INTJ's 'ingenious master planner' abilities the same way an INTJ with fine-tuned Fi could replicate an INFJ's 'great spiritual master' abilities.

I don't think Dumbledore ever did anything a balanced, well-developed INFJ wouldn't be capable of, I just think that his decision making process showed that he favored his T over his F, even if that F was VERY well-developed.

I think that, seeing as how INFJ's and INTJ's are the most perfectionistic types and are most likely to spend their lives obsessing over the task of carrying out their Ni vision, those two types are most likely to develop their inferior functions as an aid to carrying out their Ni visions. I think Dumbledore was a good example of what an INTJ looks like when one does that.

Not a bit.

The point was to clarify how Dumbledore's feeling function is likely introverted, instead of being extroverted.

And yes, INTJs and INFJs share a dominant Ni, so they appear externally similar to each other until someone analyzes their motivations.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
EDIT: Also, I'm tired of this ITxJ's don't care about moral issues crap. *pout*
Maybe I misworded things. I don't think that moral issues is out of line for a Te user. I just think that Hermione seemed more emotionally attached to the issue. I would think that a Te would take a more logical, detached stand on the issue. I suggest taking a look at those sections of the story where Hermione started talking about S.P.E.W. Did she honestly strike you as remotely detached during her S.P.E.W moments? She struck me as very morally self-righteous. Tertiary Fi (or any kind of Fi, for that matter) is never responsible for that soapboxy morally self-righteous behavior that Hermione binged on during S.P.E.W. It's Fe.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Maybe I misworded things. I don't think that moral issues is out of line for a Te user. I just think that Hermione seemed more emotionally attached to the issue. I would think that a Te would take a more logical, detached stand on the issue. I suggest taking a look at those sections of the story where Hermione started talking about S.P.E.W. Did she honestly strike you as remotely detached during her S.P.E.W moments? She struck me as very morally self-righteous. Tertiary Fi (or any kind of Fi, for that matter) is never responsible for that soapboxy morally self-righteous behavior that Hermione binged on during S.P.E.W. It's Fe.

Nah, I'm still not convinced. I wasn't ever quite as "preachy" as she got to be, but I was constantly trying to recruit people, and I was really frustrated and upset by the lack of support I got from people and their apparent apathy. I've never seen an ISFJ get soapboxy either. In fact my ISFJ friend was one of the more apathetic people around me, he supports his causes very quietly. Same with my ISFJ mom. From what I can tell, they wouldn't want to impose on people by voicing their firmly held opinions (that would be Fe).

Obviously it doesn't really matter either way, but that's my take on it.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've never seen an ISFJ get soapboxy either.
Have you ever seen anyone get soapboxy? If not, I bet the first soapboxy person you see will most likely be an Fe user. I'm not saying that soapboxy people are common among Fe users. I'm saying that Fe-users are common among soapboxy people.

And if you haven't seen an Fe-user get on a soapbox before, then I'm sure that what I'm doing right now would be a good introduction to what Fe-soapboxes look like.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Good points, and I could see why Hermione gets pinned as an ISFJ. ISTJs, of out the IXTX group, have the strongest need in being an active part of a community (Si) -- maintaining what had previously worked. ISFJs and ISTJs are both dependable/duty-bounded, detailed-oriented, organized and uphold an earthly sense of responsibility, including one of right & wrong. (This is why keeping rules is important to them.) The confusion is the SJ equivalent of the INFJ and INTJ debate. Sharing the same introverted perceiving function (Ni or Si) makes their type not easily determined.

What gives Hermione the ISTJ tag is her style: although she's adamant about moral causes, she pushes for her goals -- even if it means head-butting with others. An ISFJ would focus more on quietly supporting the group harmony and adapting to their wishes. They have to learn how to directly challenge someone's values and ideas, while the ISTJs would have a natural preference for it (assuming they believe their position is rock-solid and supported by facts.) ISFJs are often 'apologizing' for being disagreeable.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Have you ever seen anyone get soapboxy? If not, I bet the first soapboxy person you see will most likely be an Fe user. I'm not saying that soapboxy people are common among Fe users. I'm saying that Fe-users are common among soapboxy people.

And if you haven't seen an Fe-user get on a soapbox before, then I'm sure that what I'm doing right now would be a good introduction to what Fe-soapboxes look like.

Ha, well alright, I'll concede you this: if she is an ISTJ, she is an ISTJ with a well very well developed Fi. If she is an ISFJ, then she's the most analytical and outspoken one I've ever heard of.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
What gives Hermione the ISTJ tag is her style: although she's adamant about moral causes, she pushes for her goals -- even if it means head-butting with others. An ISFJ would focus more on quietly supporting the group harmony and adapting to their wishes. They have to learn how to directly challenge someone's values and ideas, while the ISTJs would have a natural preference for it (assuming they believe their position is rock-solid and supported by facts.) ISFJs are often 'apologizing' for being disagreeable.
True, her style did seem more STJ-like. The one thing that has me hung up right now is how emotionally volatile Hermione was. I'm talking about things like when Ron made the comment in Sorcerer's Stone "It's no wonder she hasn't got any friends," and then Hermione responding by taking that comment personally and spending a whole afternoon crying about it in a bathroom stall.

My memory of Hermione was of her being very emotional. Constantly taking things other people said personally in a very Fe-way. Constantly being the first one to cry or start gushing emotionally during high-charged situations (much moreso than Harry and Ron, who were both feelers). Hermione's emotional reactions seemed like an exact replica of the way my ISFJ mom reacts to things.

Then again, I haven't read the books in a while. Maybe my memory of Hermione is just too fuzzy.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I see Hermione as an INFJ.
I see Harry as an INFP.
I see Ron as an ESFP.
I see Dumbledore as an INFJ even AFTER the 7th book. INFJs can make mistakes. let's face it- he was whipped by Grindelwald, it's not like he was a 'chameleon', that's bs.

This is all from the BOOKS. The movies really fucked up with matching the characters.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
INFJs can make mistakes.
I hardly think anyone in the history of MBTI has been typed as INFJ on the basis that he/she 'never made mistakes'.