• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could see Tom Riddle/Voldemort as more INTJ than ENTJ, personally. Probably an 8.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Harry IxFP, there are good arguments for both
Ron ESFP
Hermoine INFJ, similar to Lisa Simpson
Dumbledore INxx, seems for like an F in earlier movies, later more like a t.
Voldemort INTJ
Snape INTJ
Bellatrix ESTP
Sirius ENFP
Hagrid ISFP
McGonagall ISTJ
Filch ISTP
Luna INFP
Molly Weasley ESFJ
Fred and George ENxP
Arthur Weasley xSFP
Dobby ISFP

Last edited:

Ghostwheel

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Five
I've always seen Hermione as an INFJ.

Hermoine INFJ, similar to Lisa Simpson

Hermione could be INFJ too. I'm less sure if she's got auxiliary thinking or feeling than I am that her lead seems to be introverted intuition. She obeys rules the same way Captain Picard (INTJ) does: until they conflict with her big picture Ni.

Picard will enforce the Prime Directive, Federation Law and Starfleet Regulations and be a complete stickler for them until his Ni pops up and he decides that something more important than mere rules is at stake or that adhering to the rules will compromise his moral principles and bring about an unintended result.

Hermione is the same way whenever a truly pressing situation comes up that causes her to weigh school rules against her principles. Like Picard she's a sticker—up until her big-picture intuition tells her that adhering to a particular rule in a specific instance will invert her core ethics, for example, by not supporting Harry when his life is in danger or having to face evil unprepared, and so forth.

• She advises Harry to go into the "restricted" section of the library to research Nicholas Flamel. Then when Harry flubs it she gets the book herself.
  • She brews polyjuice potion, breaking "around fifty school rules" so that they can inflitrate House Slytherin and find out who the Heir is. She even steals ingredients from Snape's cupboards.
  • She summons books about Horcruxes from right out of the Headmaster's office with an Accio spell.
The first two are important because this is early Hermione in Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber. She's only 11-13 when she does these. It's not a case of a mature SJ who has gradually developed their intuition and learned to think outside of the box. She's a "tweeny"; barely an adolescent.

Why don't people want to consider Hermione as an NT or NF?
NJ's are real sticklers for the rules too. .ya know.. ;)

Two real-life stories from my youth:

• I'm riding in car being driven by an ISTP relative. He's driving in the middle of the road. I point out that he should stay in his own lane. He's says we're the only ones on the road, no reason not to stretch out, if someone else comes along, he'll swing back into one lane.

• I'm in a restaurant with some relatives. They decide to steal some plates because they like the monogram. I try to convince them not to do it, and when I can't, I walk outside and stand there by myself for an hour so as not to participate in the (albeit very minor) theft.
If I were a fictional character, people would say, "Oh, he's obviously an ISTJ, he's so rule-bound!"

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah... the "she follows rules, she must be an SJ" is complete horseshit. Other types follow rules.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure about her feeling, but her thinking seems more extroverted than introverted, to me. Kind of a "'these are the facts" approach rather than a "this is how I"ve been able to make sense of it" approach.

I like Snape as an INTP. I always liked him way better than Harry, even when we were supposed to think he was a bad guy.

Regarding houses, I don't object to placing NTs in Slytherin as long as we get Ravenclaw, too, but I think SFPs belong in Slytherin as well. Slughorn seems a little SFP. Aren't they equally ambitious? (I'm going by the "ambition is most important" definition of Slytherin, not the "evil" definition of Slytherin.)
I agree with ISTJ for Hermione. She is much more of a "by the book" thinker than "outside the box", and saves the day by remembering useful information and doing her homework. Snape is certainly a TJ. INTJ most likely, but a decent case can be made for ISTJ. Regarding houses, I don't think any kind of rigorous correspondence can be made between houses and types/temperaments. There are too many ways to be NT, or SJ, or Slytherin, etc.

I could see Tom Riddle/Voldemort as more INTJ than ENTJ, personally. Probably an 8.
I've come to see Voldemort as INFJ. His strategising is really rather poor, and his ambitions come off as a huge moral crusade, more like Bin Laden.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've come to see Voldemort as INFJ. His strategising is really rather poor, and his ambitions come off as a huge moral crusade, more like Bin Laden.
That may be. I think Light Yagami from Death Note is INFJ, and many think he's INTJ. The two are similar.

Nicodemus

Since Voldemort is effectively a magical Hitler, the type community should agree with you.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
IRT Hermione, I don't think looking at how closely she follows or deviates from rules is very telling. I know SJs who blow rules out of the water and NJs who are sticklers. It's much more about how they look at information - conceptual or discrete.

Hermione is a detail person. She is practically a walking encyclopedia of knowledge - terms, definitions, dates, places, all those little tidbits of information that allow her to snap things into place more quickly than the others. It's not that she's a big-picture intuitive thinker - she doesn't have a "vision" of what she's after, she doesn't spend time conceptualizing goals, or theorizing on topics, or lining information up to create a grand scheme. She collects bits of knowledge for the sake of collecting bits of knowledge, and she's excellent at filling in the gaps.

For this reason, I would type Hermione as an ISTJ.

I think many of her actions, in particular breaking rules, are (somewhat ironically) explained by her eminently clear Enneatype 1. Hermione is a moral crusader through and through, and very protective. Rowling sets up a fairly obvious "good-versus-evil" dividing line throughout the books, and whenever Hermione is breaking rules, it is in the name of protecting her friends, or ridding Hogwarts of a danger, or exacting vengeance on Malfoy. When she steals the ingredients from Snape, Colin Creevey has recently turned up Petrified, we know that she feels very anxious about it, Snape isn't the most trustworthy or savory anyway, and it's for the purpose of discovering the Heir and stopping the attacks on the school.

Additionally, Hermione being the smartest witch in her year and clearly scores more capable of digesting and retaining information than most, it's unsurprising that she would desire to push forwards with that, regardless of type. Given Te, she would also have a certain penchant for efficiency, which sometimes entails cutting corners.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
IRT Hermione, I don't think looking at how closely she follows or deviates from rules is very telling. I know SJs who blow rules out of the water and NJs who are sticklers. It's much more about how they look at information - conceptual or pragmatic.

Hermione is a detail person. She is practically a walking encyclopedia of knowledge - terms, definitions, dates, places, all those little tidbits of information that allow her to snap things into place more quickly than the others. It's not that she's a big-picture intuitive thinker - she doesn't have a "vision" of what she's after, she doesn't spend time conceptualizing goals, or theorizing on topics, or lining information up to create a grand scheme. She collects bits of knowledge for the sake of collecting bits of knowledge, and she's excellent at filling in the gaps.

For this reason, I would type Hermione as an ISTJ.
I agree.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] on why Hermione is SJ instead of NT. (Si and Te are definitely her most obvious functions.)

If Hermione is an ISTJ, I think the series shows her going from an ambiverted childhood to a more introverted adulthood. Part of why I always like to think of her as ESTJ (even if she isn't), is that her path to maturity is so much like the one I took, growing up: from being shamelessly bossy in childhood, to being more subdued and sensible as a young adult.

Maybe it's more because she and I are both obvious 1w2s -- and I think she's also so-first. (though likely so/sp?)

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Hermoine is some sort of FiTe user. I can't see her being an INFJ -- she backs down from nobody, and if there's something upsetting her, she'll make it evident. Rowling said herself that Hermoine is an exaggerated version of the author in her youth. Rowling is an INFP, so I guess that makes sense. Hermoine isn't an INFP herself though, the TE is too strong for that. It's weird calling Hermoine an ISTJ or INTJ, but I guess those fit best. Meh, she's a fictional character.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I agree with @skylights and @Coriolis on why Hermione is SJ instead of NT. (Si and Te are definitely her most obvious functions.)

If Hermione is an ISTJ, I think the series shows her going from an ambiverted childhood to a more introverted adulthood. Part of why I always like to think of her as ESTJ (even if she isn't), is that her path to maturity is so much like the one I took, growing up: from being shamelessly bossy in childhood, to being more subdued and sensible as a young adult.

Maybe it's more because she and I are both obvious 1w2s -- and I think she's also so-first. (though likely so/sp?)

:laugh:

True, possible that she could be TeSi over SiTe. What's making you think so/sp? Not that I disagree - I just haven't thought about her variant much.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh:

True, possible that she could be TeSi over SiTe. What's making you think so/sp? Not that I disagree - I just haven't thought about her variant much.
I really, really think she's so-first -- her focus is definitely the social realm and crises of groups (as opposed to self, or individuals) -- e.g. house elf rights, and that sort of thing. Each instinct of 1 is focused on perfecting some area of their life, and perfecting Society At Large seems to be what she's all about. Like you pointed out in your edit, that's why she's (generally) content breaking the rules, so long as it's For The Greater Good.

It's hard to distinguish self-pres, for STJs, because even self-pres last STJs understand (and prioritize) the need to take good care of themselves and their environment*. (Alhough with sx/so and so/sx, attention to self-pres is usually a means to an end.) Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I think she might also be so/sx -- because I see the blind spot as being more likely to be sp. She doesn't take care of herself very well, and she fits the sp-last "workaholic" stereotype. I think, for example, an so/sp Hermione would have been less likely to decide to use the time-turner the way she did.

Also -- again, now that I've thought about it more -- there's something I've noticed with sx-first and second, where you don't realize how closely those people are observing you until they give an observation that is Absolutely Spot On, a deep insight about who you are that they inferred from your shallower behavior. Hermione gives those tidbits to Ron and Harry, on a regular basis.

*That's probably the main reason why I mistyped as so/sp for such a long time.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I really, really think she's so-first -- her focus is definitely the social realm and crises of groups (as opposed to self, or individuals) -- e.g. house elf rights, and that sort of thing. Each instinct of 1 is focused on perfecting some area of their life, and perfecting Society At Large seems to be what she's all about. Like you pointed out in your edit, that's why she's (generally) content breaking the rules, so long as it's For The Greater Good.

It's hard to distinguish self-pres, for STJs, because even self-pres last STJs understand (and prioritize) the need to take good care of themselves and their environment*. (Alhough with sx/so and so/sx, attention to self-pres is usually a means to an end.) Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I think she might also be so/sx -- because I see the blind spot as being more likely to be sp. She doesn't take care of herself very well, and she fits the sp-last "workaholic" stereotype. I think, for example, an so/sp Hermione would have been less likely to decide to use the time-turner the way she did.

Also -- again, now that I've thought about it more -- there's something I've noticed with sx-first and second, where you don't realize how closely those people are observing you until they give an observation that is Absolutely Spot On, a deep insight about who you are that they inferred from your shallower behavior. Hermione gives those tidbits to Ron and Harry, on a regular basis.

*That's probably the main reason why I mistyped as so/sp for such a long time.

Yes, that's a great case for so/sx! The comment you made about STJs seeming sp is totally true - it's hard to distinguish. I had a big ol' Notepad list of Potter MBTI types on my desktop from who knows how long ago, and had tentatively typed her sp/so, but I realized that it pretty much had zero basis in anything besides her being self-sufficient and socially interested, which obviously does not suffice for a solid typing. Like you said, she tends to sacrifice sp, if anything. Her bonds to the boys and other close relationships come first, and above all comes the Greater Good - she does rat out Harry and Ron occasionally when she feels like they're hurting themselves.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ginny Weasley

I'd love to hear some ideas about Ginny Weasley's type. I haven't gotten time to re-read the books' descriptions of her lately, but the Harry Potter Wiki describes:

Ginny was a forceful, independent girl who often knew her own mind. She had an energetic, lively personality; having a huge crush on Harry, however, during the first few years of their friendship, she became shy and withdrawn in his presence [...]

Ginny was not afraid to stand up to anybody, friends and enemies alike [...] she could be harsh towards those whom she disliked [...] Her brothers [...] thought that she was too popular for her own good. She was also known to be quick-witted and funny and could often make others laugh even when they were feeling down.

Ginny also had a knack for imitating the mannerisms of others very accurately, much to the amusement of those around her [...] Ginny was also good at lying and capable of being opaque when necessary. [...]

So, we have that she is lively, independent, protective, sometimes harsh, popular, witty, funny, a good actress, and sometimes shy (and clumsy) around those she takes a liking to.

So far she is sounding ExFx, at least. I'm inclined to eliminate ESFJ, as she shows few signs of Si. Her occasional blunt harshness is not sounding unlike ExFP tertiary Te.

As far as Enneagram goes, I'm thinking probably 7w8. People are protective of her she's always trying to push forward and do more, and she's protective, herself. She also ends up being a professional Quidditch player and later Quidditch correspondent to the Prophet, which seem like 7-ish occupations, very entertainment and enjoyment oriented.

Anyone have any different ideas, or anything to add?

Sidenote, a surprising amount of HP fans seem to really not like her. I think it's interesting. Her character was not particularly developed in the books, and some dislike her because of that and her character feeling like a deus ex machina, and others dislike her because she's supposed to be popular and well-loved but is harsh and blunt at times.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Harry Potter is probably a simple-minded and bossy ESTJ with no connection to the magical realms of personality or imagination whatsoever. All hail the almighty supervisor, the true lord of wizards. One day however Darth Raptor will take his place as the Legendary Dragon Archmage!

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Harry Potter is probably a simple-minded and bossy ESTJ with no connection to the magical realms of personality or imagination whatsoever. All hail the almighty supervisor, the true lord of wizards. One day however Darth Raptor will take his place as the Legendary Dragon Archmage!
This...
This is a pleasing joke to me...
Please continue...

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harry Potter: ISFP 6w7 (Clearly Fi-Se)
Ron Weasley: ESFP 7w8 (not w6; has a hidden lust for power)
Hermione Granger: ISTJ 3w2 (Obvious si dom)
Albus Dumbledore: INTP 9w1 (Too whimsical to be INTJ, too ruthless to be INFP)
Aberforth Dumbledore: ISTP 1w2
Gellert Grindelwald: INTJ 1w9
Severus Snape: INTJ 5w4 (I can definitely identify with him)
Minerva McGonagall: ESTJ 9w8
Quirinus Quirrell: INFJ 4w5
Gilderoy Lockhart: ESFP 3w4
Mad-Eye Moody: ESTJ 6w5
Rubeus Hagrid: ESFJ 2w1 (He's a caretaker)
Sybill Trelawney: ENFP 4w3
Tom "Lord Voldemort" Riddle: ENTJ 8w9 (He's extroverted; he loves having his followers around)
Neville Longbottom: INFP 4w5
Luna Lovegood: INTP 5w4 (Believing crazy things doesn't make you a t. Inferior fe is clear)
Xenophilius Lovegood: ENFP 4w5
Arthur Weasley: INTP 5w6
Molly Weasley: ESFJ 2w1
Fred Weasley: ENTP 7w8
George Weasley: ENTP 7w6 (A very subtle difference)
Ginny Weasley: ESTP 7w6 (A definite T in later books)
Percy Weasley: ESTJ 3w4
Bill Weasley: ESTP 7w8
Cho Chang: ISFP 6w7
Cedric Diggory: ESTJ 3w2
Victor Krum: ISTP 6w5
Fleur Delacour: ESTP 3w2
Oliver Wood: ESTP 8w7
Dean Thomas: ISTP 9w8
Seamus Finnigan: ESFJ 6w7
Lavender Brown: ESFP 7w6
Draco Malfoy: ENTJ 8w9 (Displays ni in book 6)
Lucius Malfoy: ESTJ 3w4
Sirius Black: ESFP 3w2
Regulus Black: ISFP 9w1
Bellatrix Lestrange: ESFP 3w2 (She is evil Sirius)
Horace Slughorn: ENFJ 3w2
James Potter: ESTP 7w8
Lily Potter: INFJ 2w3
Remus Lupin: INTP 6w5
Nymphadora Tonks: ESFP 7w6
Mundungus Fletcher: ESTP 7w6
Peter Pettigrew: ISFP 4w3
Dolores Umbridge: ESFJ 8w9 (The epitome of evil fe. Prefers to control people emotionally rather than tell them what to do, is totally irrational, treats everyone like children. Evil does not equal t)
Cornelius Fudge: ISFJ 9w8 (Fudge and Umbridge are classic sfjs unaware of their desires for power)
Rufus Scrimgeour: ISTJ 8w9 (a tougher Fudge)
Ludo Bagman: ESFP 7w6
Barty Crouch, Sr. :ISTJ 8w9
Barty Crouch, Jr. :ISFP 4w5 (An unhealthy 4 displaying 2 traits towards Voldemort, like Pettigrew)
Vernon Dursley: ESTJ 8w9
Marge Dursley: ESTJ 8w9
Petunia Dursley: ISFJ 9w8
Dudley Dursley: ESTP 7w8
Arabella Figg: ISFJ 2w1
Argus Filtch: ISTJ 6w5
Rita Skeeter: ESTP 3w4
Moaning Myrtle: INFP 9w8

Houses: Generally,
Griffyndor: XXFP Associated Functions: fi, se Enneagrams 1, 7, 4 Most Common Types: ESFP, ISFP, ENFP, INFP
Ravenclaw: XNTX Associated Functions: ne, ti Enneagram 5, 9 Most Common Types: INTP, ENTP, INTJ, INFJ
Hufflepuff: XSXJ Associated Functions: si, fe Enneagrams 2, 6 Most Common Types: ISFJ, ESFJ, ISTJ, ESTJ
Slytherin: EXTX Associated Functions: ni, te Enneagrams 3, 8 Most Common Types: ESTP, ISTP, ENTJ, ENFJ