• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Also, Neville Longbottom an INTP? That's insulting, we'd never be that inept.

I take it you haven't read all the books...

He kills this guy...

Fenrir_bust_by_snapesnogger.jpg

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I take it you haven't read all the books...

I have read all the books. I still don't see it. Seems more like a feeler. But maybe I'm...anti-projecting? I hated Neville because of his personality, his ineptitude, he seems more like a feeler to me.

He makes a remarkable turn in the last book, but not enough to undue 6 other books' worth of not being an INTP.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Could be.

INFP might also work. Neville matures into a powerhouse...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
he does ? ouh I need to catch up from book 4

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Could be.

INFP might also work. Neville matures into a powerhouse...

That he does. However, you don't really "mature" into your natural type do you? I'd like to think he was always an INFP and just developed a little confidence. He really was only good at herbology, which isn't even real magic IMO...

And yes I'm aware of how absurd the term "real magic" is.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Maturation needn't necessarily presume a transition.

More like achieving a sense of comfort in one's skin.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Normal type development--dominant, auxiliary, etc.,--always assumes that the environment supports the natural development of the child. And Neville's a lot like Harry in that both were deprived of normal childhoods. Imagine being raised by Granny because your parents are vegetables because of being hit with a forbidden curse. And you visit them all the time. Could cause inner conflict over developing magical skills, or totally destroy self-confidence for any endeavor until friends encourage you and you find out you can do more than you ever thought you could.

IP seems likely for Neville...I'd have to read again to know which one. In fact I plan to...6 and 7 over winter break 'cause I had to speed read those the first time and haven't gotten back to them...

redacted

What I mean is, Dumbledore seems oblivious to Harry's emotional needs as Book 5 unfolds. Yes INFJs think they know what is best for others, but Dumbledore's approach is one-sided, not being able to step into Harry's shoes at all to determine what an orphaned, in-danger, called-to-danger adolescent might need emotionally going forward. He actually withdraws from him. That seems inferior Fe, not auxiliary Fe...

The way he explores and explains Voldemort's motivations seems quite NFJ.

(He's always thinking in terms of motivations anyway.)

Lotr246

Dumbledore is an INFJ. Read the first book again. You'll see.

Here is a quiz with all the characters' types. It seems like they were typed accurately. Although, some seem off. Click on the "See all possible results" link for a list of the characters and their types:
Pirate Monkeys Inc.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I tried to trick that quiz by answering questions I thought would put me more toward intuitive or perceiver, but I still got Hermione. Heh.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Dumbledore is an INFJ. Read the first book again. You'll see.

Here is a quiz with all the characters' types. It seems like they were typed accurately. Although, some seem off. Click on the "See all possible results" link for a list of the characters and their types:
Pirate Monkeys Inc.

I think book 1 has less weight than books 5,6, and 7 with regards to typing. You get so much information and not to mention so much information regarding Dumbledore's childhood [in which he would not exhibit as much balance as he does as an old man] and everything just really screams INTP.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
He's so Fe-ish in the movies, though. Is he just screwed up?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
He's so Fe-ish in the movies, though. Is he just screwed up?

Movies are completely different. You lose too much. They have to split movie 7 into 2 movies because they need to make up all the important things they left out, that wouldn't make any sense because of their absence as themes or events in the earlier films.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Movies are completely different. You lose too much. They have to split movie 7 into 2 movies because they need to make up all the important things they left out, that wouldn't make any sense because of their absence as themes or events in the earlier films.

I'm bad at reading fiction. I skip all of the details about surroundings, how people are talking, feeling, thinking, and all the narration, if I can. I go straight to the conversations, and I end up missing a detail like, the person shifted the conversation to talking to a different person. It's why I avoid fiction. I can't be bothered to read the descriptions.

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm know I'm late but oh well....

Harry is def INFP. I would say that even if I hadn't known it already.

Hermione was harder to me. I finally conceded that she's ISTJ. She does have SJ-ish qualities (strong ones) but she's also good at making quick decisions and improvising when she has to. Maybe she's just gifted.

Lotr246

In the movies, does Harry seem more INFJ? (especially in the last one: Order of the Phoenix)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Harry- IxFP (fights for his values!!)
Ron-ESTP
Hermione- ISFJ
Dumbledore-INFJ
Snape-INTP
Luna-INxP
Neville-ISFP
Hagrid-ESFJ