• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter and MBTI

KDude

edit: Meh. On second thought, I think Alexei is screwing around. No one would think ESTP is plausible.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Slytherin is for sneaky, unprincipled fucks. :jew: That doesn't exclude ENTP, but ENTJ is a better fit.

That's good...see, we're all good guys here... *buries old MBTI test ENTJ results*

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
edit: Meh. On second thought, I think Alexei is screwing around. No one would think ESTP is plausible.
I am serious.
:yes: :cheese: :devil: :cool: :happy2: :nerd: :party: :party2: :happy: :woot:

DEAD SERIOUS

R

Riva

Gellert Grindelwald

What's his type?

He is not the same as Voldemort. Not the same make and definitely wasn't a psychopath like Voldi. He deeply regretted what he did in his youth. Anyway that wouldn't help to type him at all.

The issue is I can't remember too much about his character. He seems awefully pushy. Not manipulative but simply pushy. Extroverted perceiver, is the image I have of him. Not saying it is correct. Just an image. He was also quite impulsive. If you recall the way he stole the elder wand it is clear that he was quite a risk taker and a bit impulsive.

I would guess he is ESTP.

But he was quite a visionary. Had an image in his mind of how the world should be. So the ESTP theory is not entirely strong.

Nymma

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Harry: ISFP
Ron: ESFP

Hermione: ISTJ (in response to some who said she was too emotional to be a T, well, remember MBTI dosen't indicate the quantity of intelligence, emotion or your abilities, it simply indicates your preferences, or your dominant functions, even if it may be boredeline).

Luna: INTP for sure. She shows complete apathy towards criticism and is always detached emotionally, even when she was in a cell in DH, she didn't show a hint of fear or distress. She is able to think the same in a dangerous situation as she would when being on a picnic. In OOTP she remained calm, so detached from everything... She reminded me of Dumbledore in crisis situations. Plus, she is bluntly honest, uncaring about other's feelings when she delivers what she think is the truth. She disliked Hagrid as a teacher because she finded him incompetent(INTP loath incompetence!) even though she probably had nothing against him as a person. It is clear she has INTP values, such as intelligence, truth... She thinks abstracally even though sometimes there's a fine line between her madness and genius...Yes, untypically of an INTPm she dosen't care for facts, but then who on earth fits any type 100%? She just puts more faith in her jugdgment than in evidence. And even though it may fail to show, Luna has quite a good logic,even if it's an eccentric one. (Resolved the egnima of the Ravenclaw portrait entrance quite easily while many like Hermione would have remained stuck. Plus she uses her head more than it appears, she was able to know that "Barny" was Harry, just by recognizing the same pattern in probably his manners, expressions,etc that would be unoticable for most people). And, it's quite common for INTP to be absent-minded, eccentric. It's beyond me why anyone would think of her as an INFP.

Minerva: ENTJ.
Severus: INTJ

Now... I have some questions for all of you. Can someone please explain to me the logic with typing:

Hagrid: ISFJ: OK, to me he's an obvious SFJ, but why an introvert? Unless my memory deceives me, I remember him being quite chatty, being open and social with lots of people, talking to people easily. He seems to love to talk, IMO. I didn't see any sign of inrtoversion in him. Now..I'm not sure if it's in THIS forum where I've seen him typed as an ISFJ, but that's what the grea majority of people seem to agree on, in this matter.

Dumbledore: INFJ. Allright, I think he's an NFJ. But again, why an introvert? He did make plenty of pointless small talk on more than one occasion and seemed to be a people person. Of course, he used them as pawns, and was very secretive, but only because(in his view) it was a necessity to "save the world for the greater good", not because he didn't value the individual, or didn't want to share his ideas, he just knew no one would understand. Personnally, I would consider him an ENFJ.

Lily: INFJ. ?? Why an IN? From the little Lily scenes in DH, she proved to be quite a bit judgmental(unknown to her), making hasty judgments, being impulsive. She didn't appear to have a gift for reading people, or guessing their motives. She is the black-and-white self-righteous person and certainly isn't empathetic. Yes, she was concerned with morals, and wanted to change the world for the best(probable reason for joining the Order) but didn't act very fair with everyboy. (Didn't give equal chances...). She is quite unforgiving too. She's an obvious flawed J, and even an FJ, since she appeared to follow her heart more than her head(went out with James even though he was a bully and she hated bullies, (but also she thought he had changed and didn't know James still bullied behind her back either), bashed Severus's friends but made excuses for the Marauders who were equally crappy people at the time, bullying everyone "beneath them").

It is clear that Lily didn't follow any reason or logic, thus making her an irrational F. But honestly, did we even see Lily using N(Ni, Ne) or S(Se, si)? I don't think so, unless something escapes me, so how can we classify her an N or S? As for I vs E... Well, Lily, according to JKR, was quite popular, Giiny-alike(don't agree, but whatever), sociable, had many friends. It can point towards a E preference. But, she remained Severus's best friend for approximatively seven years, and tried to keep Petunia in her life, showing loyalty and preferance for having a few close sincere friendships. That might point to an I preference. Obviously, Lily ended up being disloyal to Severus(but to her defense, she probably didn't notice it, and it was provoked by her lack of understanding, Severus's temper, and serious misunderstanding and bad communication between the two) afterwards. And, the fact that adults were all about James's friends, never mentioning Lily's other friends than Severus can be a proof that unlike her friendship with Severus and Petunia, which didn't work out due that Petunia ditched her and that she ditched Severus, her other relationship may have been shallow superficial ones(points to E preference).

There are many contradictions showing Lily as an E, as an I... But I think there's more indications of her being an E.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm tired of pushing Harry- ESTP, so I'll lay off for now, but... Dumbldore INFJ? Seriously, have none of you read the seventh book? C'mon.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
[Luna: INTP for sure. She shows complete apathy towards criticism and is always detached emotionally, even when she was in a cell in DH, she didn't show a hint of fear or distress. She is able to think the same in a dangerous situation as she would when being on a picnic. In OOTP she remained calm, so detached from everything... She reminded me of Dumbledore in crisis situations. Plus, she is bluntly honest, uncaring about other's feelings when she delivers what she think is the truth. She disliked Hagrid as a teacher because she finded him incompetent(INTP loath incompetence!) even though she probably had nothing against him as a person. It is clear she has INTP values, such as intelligence, truth... She thinks abstracally even though sometimes there's a fine line between her madness and genius...Yes, untypically of an INTPm she dosen't care for facts, but then who on earth fits any type 100%? She just puts more faith in her jugdgment than in evidence. And even though it may fail to show, Luna has quite a good logic,even if it's an eccentric one. (Resolved the egnima of the Ravenclaw portrait entrance quite easily while many like Hermione would have remained stuck. Plus she uses her head more than it appears, she was able to know that "Barny" was Harry, just by recognizing the same pattern in probably his manners, expressions,etc that would be unoticable for most people). And, it's quite common for INTP to be absent-minded, eccentric. It's beyond me why anyone would think of her as an INFP.

Agreed. I argued something similar way back in this thread (or possibly the other one...there are a lot of HP threads floating about.)

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Does Aleksei still think Harry Potter is an ESTP?

LOL

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do, but I'm bored of trying to convince you of it. 12 pages on the subject is enough.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
I do, but I'm bored of trying to convince you of it. 12 pages on the subject is enough.

I dunno man, for an ESTP, Harry doesn't really seem all that enthusiastic when meeting new people.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Bahahaha!!! Sneaky, unprincipled fucks. I lol'd. :D

I politely disagree with that (of course I do!) Slytherins are ENTJs. Perhaps it's just me, but I'm obsessed with doing the right thing and I have a moral compass that always seems to point in the right direction, never any leniency. And although I'm highly ambitious, I firmly believe in justice. I wouldn't necessarily say that is the case with Slytherins. I'd go with Gryffindor for most ENTJs as that is what I've tested into before, but I could be wrong...but I don't think I am. :p Besides, in most instances, Slytherins and Gryffindors are far more alike than different in most aspects so I suppose it all depends on the individual case.

But whoever said Lucius Malfoy as an ENTJ?!?! PFFFT.

R

Riva

A completely different point of view by someone else (who hasn't read the book).

I don't think that I have the sufficient information to type these people as for the most part I have seen them act in school or in battle where they had to conform to a certain code of a social ethic.

I would have to guess that Harry Potter is an Introvert. When he had free-time in school, an environment where he had many friends and an opportunity to socialize, he didn't bother. The environment encouraged him to socialize, yet somehow he consistently displayed a disinclination to do so.

I would guess that he also is intuitive as in friendly and laid back conversations with professors, he displayed an ability to connect ideas together well and also enthusiasm for doing so. Seems to me that this behavior came to him rather naturally.

Would also say Thinking type as in almost all situations where he was able to behave naturally, he sought for structure in notions as well solutions to various problems. Rather rarely he focused on personal sentiments or aesthetical impressions. Judging or perceiving, I would probably guess Judging, but this is the weakest of all inferences I am making. I am drawing this conclusion on the basis of how Intuition seemed his dominant function as he did not seem to be very fond of structured thought. Nor did he seem to be a T dominant, as he did not have this natural intense focus on the impersonal and the characteristic dryness we associate with T doms especially Ti doms. In that regard he contrasts with another character in the plot; Snape, whose normal mode of utterance was very sequential, carefully pondered, dry and as precise as possible. (One may argue that this is attributed to the fact that he is old and a professor rather than to his type, but I'd be inclined to think differently: other old professors did not have those characteristics. Its also the case that most of Snape's personal experiences weren't different enough from theirs to regarded as the sole cause of the significant differences in character between him and them.)

------------------------------------------------

Hermione, its also a tough decision. I would have to say Introverted as she also made little effort to interact in an environment where she was encouraged to do so. Would say Intuitive as she had a seemingly natural fondness for abstraction. It doesn't seem to be the case that she was just storing data in her brain like an encyclopedia. She managed to apply her knowledge to various challenges in order to solve the problem. Its one thing to just remember a notion or to have a vivid impression of it which could be accomplished primarily by sensing, but it is a whole another matter to connect your impressions to various problems that you aspire to solve. Doing that requires connecting ideas together, brainstorming or in other words using abstract reasoning which in almost all cases is resultant of the employment of Intuitive faculties.

An interesting observation about this phenomenon can be made in a study of mathematicians. You'd see that at the beginning levels people who aren't talented at abstract reasoning will manage to memorize enough proofs to get through their exams, but once they get to theoretical mathematics, this no longer becomes doable and they begin to struggle due to their inability to think abstractly.

I would also guess that Hermione is a Feeling type as she had a rather intense focus on her immediate social surrounding, such as Harry and Ron. It doesn't seem to be the case that she was un-naturally motivated to act in this manner. She was dealing with people she thought she could trust.

I would also say Judging, as Intuition seemed to be her dominant function. I would guess so because she very easily chose to pursue the pursuit of abstractions instead of building relationships with people or satisfying aesthetical tastes when she was encouraged to do both. She had close friends and professors were friendly to her and there were paintings and spells that have been of aesthetical interest, yet chose not to indulge in that a great deal. She was also encouraged to study and cultivate her talents. Seems to me that there was no extrinsic pressure for her to choose either option.

Regarding the J faculty of both characters, it seems to me that it was also their nature to go about the external world in a sequential manner rather than chaotic. Children who have a perceiving preference tend to get overwhelmed with perceptions coming from the outside and often struggle to organize them. This does not seem to be a part of the natural dispositions of either Hermione or Harry.

-------------------------------------------------------

The above thought-experiment was conducted under the assumption that there is a world somewhere (even if purely conceptual and imaginary) where Harry Potter and Hermione exist. Hence, in that event their natural dispositions would be described as above.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ew, I'm not letting Harry Potter be an ESTP...that's disgraceful. :p

Hermes

MBTI Type
eNFP
Isn't it strange how I think some people are wrong and some people will think I'm wrong but we all read the same books? I think it has to do with differing perceptions of the characters and our general inability to decipher types from fictional characters.
Also determining type by talent is unfortunately just wrong. Harry is not S just because he is good at sports and Hermione is not N just because she is smart.
Anywho.
Harry-ISFP
Ron-ESFP
Twins-ENTP
Hermione-ISTJ
Snape-INTJ
Dumbledore-INFJ

This is made harder since the young characters are well balanced and the older characters have so many learned attributes from age.

Hermes

MBTI Type
eNFP
Certainly not the first time Dumbledore has been suggested as INFJ, but I'm sure you think he's an ESTP too right?:doh: