• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lord of the Rings

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gollum strikes me as an unhealthy INTP.

His most dominant characteristic is not an MBTI type, it's that he's a junkie.

EDIT: If I was gonna figure out his type, I'd go back and reread Tolkien's anecdote of the character back as Smeagol (and Tolkien's published notes on the same bit of narrative) and use those traits to make a determination. But he was a pretty slimy bastard even back then, TBH. He had a sense of entitlement and anti-social tendencies / narcissism even before the ring from what I can recall; he even throttled his own best friend without even flinching and abused the Ring almost immediately (where for the more good-hearted, like the hobbits, it took prolonged use/proximity to wear them down).

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
His most dominant characteristic is not an MBTI type, it's that he's a junkie.

Ring junkies are the worst, don't let them get behind you.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Yeah he really didn't like those dirty invading haradrim in the books.

Gandalf in the books shows a lot of INTJ traits like complex, long term planning and no hesitation in firmly rebuking other characters, such as Frodo, for making bad decisions. He leads a lot behind the scenes, and expresses a lot more confidence in his views and abilities than he does in the movies.

In the movies though, we see an eccentric and substantially warmer character with a good sense of humour. He also expresses self-doubt to others (at least at first), which an NT would feel uncomfortable doing, and seems less concerned with an intricate large-scale plan than just mentoring a few key characters. Part of this could be due to the movie process - you can only fit so much content into a movie - but I get too much Fe from McKellen's acting to call movie Gandalf an INTJ.

I thought movie Gandalf was awesome btw. But he's clearly not a Thinking type.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Frodo: absolutely an INFP
Sam: ISFJ
Aragorn: a very charismatic and mature ISTJ
Gandalf: INTJ
Legolas: ISTP
Arwen: seems much more like an INFP to me, very much. I disagree with all the folks that categorized her as ENFP

And among a group of that many types, the Ring can only entrusted with an INFP - the underdog that has this capacity for quiet sufferings that could be unbearable to other types.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lord of the rings is all about a lame fantasy of an old world... Star Wars actually depicts a future which in many ways is perhaps immanent within human realization (albeit without the "wars"). Still, there could be wars as far as general challenges go, the different forces of our existence. But I don't see us annihilating each other and unjustly causing destruction.
Star Wars depicts a fictional past, a cinematic legend. It is Star Trek that shows us the future.

Gandalf in the books shows a lot of INTJ traits like complex, long term planning and no hesitation in firmly rebuking other characters, such as Frodo, for making bad decisions. He leads a lot behind the scenes, and expresses a lot more confidence in his views and abilities than he does in the movies.
The whole trilogy seems devoid of complex, long-term planning - one reason why I find it ultimately unsatisfying, much as I want to like it and do appreciate the detailed setting.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
The whole trilogy seems devoid of complex, long-term planning - one reason why I find it ultimately unsatisfying, much as I want to like it and do appreciate the detailed setting.

He is managing many different scenarios at once in the Hobbit and taking a calculated risk on all of them, if you read the Tolkien's Appendices to LOTR. The movies are quite different to the books.

One1000

Frodo: INFP, agreed upon by most.
Sam: ISFJ
Aragorn: ISTP with developed Fe,
Gandalf: INTJ, seems to use thinking over feeling, and is a long term planner(J)
Arwen: INFJ seems most likely
Legolas: ISFP, possibly ISTP
Gimli: ESFJ?
Boromir: ESTJ
Gollum: hard to say his true type because he is completely tortured and destroyed by the ring.
Pippin: ESFP, very impulsive
Merry: ESTP, Could b ESFP.
King Theoden: ENTJ
Eomer: ENTP or ESTP
Eyown: ISTJ
Faramir: ISFP?
Bilbo: ENFP
Saruman: ENTJ, similar to gandalf in persoanlity, just chose the path of evil.
Sauron: impossible to type

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Yeah it's more that they have a general goal or idea of a plan, than something set out in stages or set structure. The plan in LOTR is like one of my sloppy ideas of a plan, ie: fire from mountain kills ring, defeats Sauron...erm....frees people? It's a moral and ethical plan not a structural one.

I think an INTJ would be more likely to set up a plan not just in how to defeat Sauron and destroy the ring but also what structures would need to be set up in the aftermath. Now it could be said that Gandalf planned to move Aragorn onto the throne as part of that structure, but it looks more like he went from place to place trying convince others to action on his own individual merit to argue, debate and inspire to action.

From The Hobbit:

"Good morning!" Said Bilbo and he meant it.

Gandalf's reply: "What do you mean?" "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"

To me that smacks more of Ti than Te. Others might disagree but I think that Te is more inclined to question the purpose or usefulness of something rather than it's structure. A simple reply of good morning might be adhered to simply because it gets a superficial pleasantry out the way, or even ignoring it completely, as opposed to wasting time discussing it's structural merit. But that's perhaps a bit of a general statement.

I think in the later LOTR books Gandalf does come across more Je, but I think it's him incorporating an Fe element into his style of motivating others. If INTP, for example, nothing is stopping him engaging Fe cogitations where appropriate, it's just that he doesn't observe an Fe mindset all the time and being forced to would cause stress and conflict.

Saruman is more of an NTJ counterpart in the books, although even I'm getting tired of the NTJ villain trope, (however this is with respect to the fact most writers probably don't intend that and typology is always open to intepretation). On the other hand, perhaps NTJ's can take pride in the fact they make some of the best villains. :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think an INTJ would be more likely to set up a plan not just in how to defeat Sauron and destroy the ring but also what structures would need to be set up in the aftermath. Now it could be said that Gandalf planned to move Aragorn onto the throne as part of that structure, but it looks more like he went from place to place trying convince others to action on his own individual merit to argue, debate and inspire to action.

Sounds like you're quoting right from the books there :smile:. Here's one description:

Though the Valar intervened only rarely in Middle-earth, they sent the wizards as emissaries from Valinor because they had not forsaken the faithful Men and Elves of Middle-earth. In imposing the prohibition against using force to compel the Children of Eru, the Valar sought with the wizards to avoid repeating an ancient error. They had tried direct intervention in the destiny of the Elves in the Years of the Trees by leading the Eldar into the West, but this resulted in many bloody wars and confrontations. In the struggle against the Dark Lord, they hoped instead to help Men achieve their own destiny. Thus Gandalf and the other wizards were meant to use their great wisdom to persuade Men to courses of action which would achieve Men's own goals, rather than trying to dominate them, hence their power was ultimately restricted. Saruman failed in this when he tried to set himself up as a commander in opposition to Sauron, but Gandalf remained faithful to his charge.

Bold added. But they were forbidden to match power with power; they were supposed to inspire the peoples to fight for themselves.

This is also why Cirdan gave Gandalf the elven ring Narya, the ring of fire:

Gil-galad entrusted Narya to his lieutenant Círdan, Lord of the Havens of Mithlond, who kept it after Gil-galad's death. In the Third Age Círdan, knowing Gandalf's true nature and duty, gave him the ring to aid him in his labours.

"Take this ring, master," he said, "for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness that you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill." - Círdan the Shipwright

It's unclear to me how much of Gandalf's choices thus were driven by personality versus actual assigned mission... although we must note that Saruman was unable to restrain his Directive desires, whereas Gandalf was more liable to be Informative in his approach and didn't seen to struggle as much over the need to control situations -- instead he would enter them and catalyze them, but ultimately allow the participants to determine their own fate even if he had preferences of his own. He naturally allowed more freedom than his counterpart Saurman.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Yeah it's more that they have a general goal or idea of a plan, than something set out in stages or set structure. The plan in LOTR is like one of my sloppy ideas of a plan, ie: fire from mountain kills ring, defeats Sauron...erm....frees people? It's a moral and ethical plan not a structural one.

From The Hobbit:

"Good morning!" Said Bilbo and he meant it.

Gandalf's reply: "What do you mean?" "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"

To me that smacks more of Ti than Te. Others might disagree but I think that Te is more inclined to question the purpose or usefulness of something rather than it's structure. A simple reply of good morning might be adhered to simply because it gets a superficial pleasantry out the way, or even ignoring it completely, as opposed to wasting time discussing it's structural merit. But that's perhaps a bit of a general statement.

I think in the later LOTR books Gandalf does come across more Je, but I think it's him incorporating an Fe element into his style of motivating others. If INTP, for example, nothing is stopping him engaging Fe cogitations where appropriate, it's just that he doesn't observe an Fe mindset all the time and being forced to would cause stress and conflict.

Saruman is more of an NTJ counterpart in the books, although even I'm getting tired of the NTJ villain trope, (however this is with respect to the fact most writers probably don't intend that and typology is always open to intepretation). On the other hand, perhaps NTJ's can take pride in the fact they make some of the best villains. :D

I think the potential to do great evil on a macro level is much greater due to the nature of those types' personalities. However the inverse is also true (eg Theoden, an example of a heroic ENTJ). A lot of it depends on the environment the individual and their beliefs are exposed to. People who have read Tolkien's books will be aware that nether Saruman nor Sauron started off as evil, but was corrupted due to their desires to create order and structure, and control aspects of the world to make their visions a reality. Very NTJ-ish.

Gandalf is good at making quick decisions and does not over-think them. I agree that he has Fe and Ti, but I don't see him as a Ti dom. I see him as an INFJ with well developed tertiary.

Considering how old he is, why is this so hard to believe?

yeghor

That might also fit the INFJ type. That's why INFJs need time to recharge and withdraw from people from time to time. Constant Fe-mode tire them out. They are not Fe-dominants who crave for Fe-bonding all the time. It's rather their auxiliary Fe allows them to engage and check out the Fe strata from time to time.

To me Gandalf feels INFJish in the movie. I didn't read the books.

Saruman is more of an NTJ counterpart in the books, although even I'm getting tired of the NTJ villain trope, (however this is with respect to the fact most writers probably don't intend that and typology is always open to intepretation). On the other hand, perhaps NTJ's can take pride in the fact they make some of the best villains.

I've read that Elrond is likened to an INTJ, for comparison. Is he like one in the books?

Bold added. But they were forbidden to match power with power; they were supposed to inspire the peoples to fight for themselves.

Saruman feels ESTJish in the movie. Perhaps it's because of the actor. He tries offsetting Sauron's power with amassing a power of his own. It's just that he doesn't appear to have the foresight to see that his actions would cause more harm then good.

Sauron feels like ENTJish.

Gandalf is good at making quick decisions and does not over-think them. I agree that he has Fe and Ti, but I don't see him as a Ti dom. I see him as an INFJ with well developed tertiary.

Considering how old he is, why is this so hard to believe?

I agree with your conclusion.

And what about Galadriel?

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
That might also fit the INFJ type. That's why INFJs need time to recharge and withdraw from people from time to time. Constant Fe-mode tire them out. They are not Fe-dominants who crave for Fe-bonding all the time. It's rather their auxiliary Fe allows them to engage and check out the Fe strata from time to time.

To me Gandalf feels INFJish in the movie. I didn't read the books.

I agree. Here's my stock example:

I've read that Elrond is likened to an INTJ, for comparison. Is he like one in the books?

I would say ISTJ, tbh.

Saruman feels ESTJish in the movie. Perhaps it's because of the actor. He tries offsetting Sauron's power with amassing a power of his own. It's just that he doesn't appear to have the foresight to see that his actions would cause more harm then good.

Sauron feels like ENTJish.

Yep. If you read up on Sauron's backstory that becomes obvious. Saruman is similar but his motivations are different - rather than control the minds of living creatures to bring order to the world (Sauron's vision), he is concerned with industrial advancement and mechanisation. He also plots against Sauron while pretending to be his ally. I see Saruman as an INTJ gone wrong.

I agree with your conclusion.

And what about Galadriel?

Another INFJ. INFJs are rarely the dreamy, reflective people they're made out to be (though their visions, if Ti is not developed, can be completely irrational).

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I think the potential to do great evil on a macro level is much greater due to the nature of those types' personalities. However the inverse is also true (eg Theoden, an example of a heroic ENTJ). A lot of it depends on the environment the individual and their beliefs are exposed to. People who have read Tolkien's books will be aware that nether Saruman nor Sauron started off as evil, but was corrupted due to their desires to create order and structure, and control aspects of the world to make their visions a reality. Very NTJ-ish.

I agree, it's what I enjoyed about reading The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. No one is really quite as straight forward as is often conceived. If I recall correctly Sauron used to be the Maiar to Aule the Smith, (who was himself a bit wayward in his creation of the Dwarfs).

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Tolkien fans may enjoy this interactive visualization of Tolkien’s The Hobbit by Natalia Bilenko and Asako Miyakawa, depicting character interactions and relative emotional context: [url]http://nbilenko.com/projects/hobbit.html[/URL] (best viewed in chrome)

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Gandalf - ENTP
Aragorn - ISTJ
Frodo - ISFP
Sam - ISFJ
Gollum - ISFJ
Legolas - ISTP
Gimli - ESTP
Boromir - ESTJ
Theoden - ISTJ
Sauron - ENTJ
Saruman - INTJ

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Frodo Baggins-INFP
Gandalf-INTJ
Samwise Gamgee-ESFJ
Bilbo Baggins-ISFJ
Meriadoc Brandybuck-ENFJ
Peregrim Took-ESFP
Aragorn-ISTP
Boromir-ESTJ
Legolas Greenleaf-ISTJ
Gimli Elf-friend-ESTP
Gwaihir-INTP
Thorin Okenshield-ESTJ
Dwalin-ESTJ
Balin-ENFJ
Fili-ESFJ
Kili-ISFP
Oin-ENTP
Gloin-ESTP
Dori-ESFJ
Nori-ESTP
Ori-ISFP
Bifur-ESTP
Bofur-ESFP
Bombur-ENFP
Elrond-INTJ
Galadriel-INFJ
Theoden-ESTJ
Eomer-ESTJ
Eowen-ISTP
Thranduil-ESTJ
Bard-INFJ
Tauriel-INFP
Celeborn-ISTJ
Smaug-INTJ
Sauron-INTJ
Saurumon-ESTJ
Radagast-ENFP
Denthor-ESTJ
Farimir-INFJ
Haldir-ISTJ
Azog-ESTJ
Bolg-ESTP
Beorn-ISTP
Shelob-INTP
Dain Ironfoot-ESTJ
Arwen-ISFP
Tom Bombadil-ESFP
Grima Wormtongue-ENTJ
Treebeard-ENTP
The Master of Lake Town- ESTJ
The Great Goblin-ESTP
King of the Dead-INTP
Witch King-ISTJ
Beregond-ENFJ

And of course J.R.R.Tolkien-INFP

Myshkin14

MBTI Type
INFJ
Samwise - ISFJ
Frodo - INFP
Gandalf - INTJ
Legolas - ISTP
Gimli - ESTP
Aragorn - INFJ

Chthonic

I'm not agreeing with the Gandalf as INTJ thing, he's too gregarious and laid back. If he was uptight and a bit OCD, occasssionally berating himself for being stupid then I'd believe it. Don't really see him as INTP though, that would be the weirdo in the woods for my money, the one with the rabbits. That's the kind of random you get with INTP's.

Saruman, ENTJ I can see that. Instantly aligns himself with the dark lord after assessment of the balance of power and not wanting to be on the losing side. It's nothing personal, all about winning.