• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lord of the Rings

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd say that in the movie Arwen is ENFP, and Galadriel is NFJ

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Galadriel is blatantly NFJ. Not sure what about Arwen is P.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
She supports, asks Aragorn what he wants, eventually tells him who he is, helps him discover that really...tells him what he needs to hear to do what he needs to do. That's Fi, straight up. Galadriel does something similar with Frodo, but she uses Ni(Fe) to tell him what will come to pass if he doesn't complete his task.

deleted
Frodo - INFP
Aragorn - ISFJ
Boromir - ESTJ
Galadriel - ENFP
Gandalf - ISTJ
Arwen - INFP
Legolas - ISTP

Pand0ra

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Frodo - infP
Aragorn - iNTp
Boromir - EStJ
Galadriel - ENfj
Gandalf - iNTJ
Arwen - INFP
Legolas - IsTP
Eowyn - iNFp

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
J.R.R. Tolkien was INFP or INTP, Gandalf was INTJ or INTP, and his fictional counterpart Merlin was INTP.

Tolkien was a master of language and the architect of a whole alien reality.

Gandalf was a master of arcane secrets and a powerful wizard of great wisdom.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
J.R.R. Tolkien was INFP or INTP, Gandalf was INTJ or INTP, and his fictional counterpart Merlin was INTP.
Tolkien was a master of language and the architect of a whole alien reality.
Gandalf was a master of arcane secrets and a powerful wizard of great wisdom.

I tend to agree with this, although I think JRRT was INTP, I don't know Merlin well enough (in the Disney version he was more like an ENTP, puttering about, I think, like Doc Emmet Brown), and since Gandalf was essentially (according to Tolkien's actual letters to readers) an angel cloaked in human form and had prescience beyond a mortal beings, especially after he is "sent back" as Gandalf the White, it's hard to tell whether his certainty is because of J factors or because of his expanded knowledge. (However, I'm more inclined to think J because he typically does like to make decisions and get things figured out, even if he's low-key; and his warmth is more the tertiary Fi fondness thing, it seems.)

leectra

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Lord of the rings MBTI

My guesses (with the odd bit of enneagram):

Frodo - INFP
Sam - ISFJ
Merry - ENTJ
Pippin - ESFP
Aragorn - INFP
Gandalf - INFJ
Gimli - ENFP
Legolas - INFP
Boromir - ISFP 6(counterphobic)
Faramir - ENTP 2
Eowyn - ISTJ 4
Eomer - ESFX
Galadriel - INTJ

Slightly random selection of characters chosen there. These the people guesses are based on the book, though I'd also be interested to here how people thought the film did it, as well as any different guesses on the book characters. Also:
Why so many INFP's?
Why so few thinking types - and why are both the women thinking types? (mythology was used as inspiration, and gender-reversed feeling-thinking expectations do seem to appear there)
Why is Faramir so difficult to type? I've put him here as ENTP, because the individual preferences seem to fit, but the overall profile doesn't match all that well.

Any thoughts? :bye:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My guesses (with the odd bit of enneagram):
Frodo - INFP
that or ISFP 9w8 Sx/Sp

Sam - ISFJ
could also see ESFJ, but yeah. 6w7 So/Sx

Merry - ENTJ
definitely not. ENFJ or ESFJ 1w2 So/Sx

Pippin - ESFP
I saw ENFP, but ESFP is possible too. 7w6 So/Sx

Aragorn - INFP
INFJ, though I could also see ISFP or ISTP. 8w9 Sx/Sp

Gandalf - INFJ
INTJ 8w9 or 1w9 So/Sx

Gimli - ENFP
I saw him as ESFP, but now that you mention it, his commentary is very Ne-ish at times. 8w7 So/Sx

Legolas - INFP
possibly

Boromir - ISFP 6(counterphobic)
ESTJ 8w7 or 3w2 Sx/So

Faramir - ENTP 2
I think he's ISTP (didn't see much Ne) maybe 3w4 for his enneagram? (2w3 is possible)

Eowyn - ISTJ 4
ENFP 6w7 So/Sx

Eomer - ESFX
ISTP 8w7 Sp/Sx

Galadriel - INTJ
yes, probably 1w9 Sx/Sp

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
threads merged

leectra

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Those Enneagram guesses for Frodo and Sam sound about right.
Merry did seem to me to be a thinking type - he handles everything actually pretty calmly and I don't think ever has a very big emotional reaction. ESTJ could be possible, I suppose. Hobbits in general seem to be very S, and he came across as N in comparison with them.
For Aragorn:
INFJ, though I could also see ISFP or ISTP. 8w9 Sx/Sp
I said P because he really doesn't want to be responsible for being the one leading or making decisions, at least at first. Though he does deal with it and become more J later on, so yeah. Hmm... Not sure he seems very 8 to me.

Gandalf always seemed pretty F to me. Why did you think INTJ?

Gimli:
I saw him as ESFP, but now that you mention it, his commentary is very Ne-ish at times. 8w7 So/Sx
Gimli as 8... Yes, that definitely fits

Yeah, I didn't really have a clue with Legolas. I nearly put him as S because he does seem to be S comnpared to other elves...just not in comparison to everyone else.

For Boromir:
ESTJ 8w7 or 3w2 Sx/So
Yeah, could be. I didn't have much of an idea for him either.

For Faramir:
I think he's ISTP (didn't see much Ne) maybe 3w4 for his enneagram? (2w3 is possible)
He does seem quite focused on the "big picture" (i.e. long term damage of keeping the ring, while Boromir was more focused on the short term value of it), which is why I said N. I said E because his whole "charismatic and universally adored" thing is more commonly found in E's and there didn't seem much to indicate either way otherwise. Though I'll admit I don't particularly buy him as ENTP, ESTP or INTP may be more realistic. For enneagram, he seems to be more motivated by approval and inter-personal stuff like a 2 than achievement for it's own sake like a 3.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=16073]leectra[/MENTION]
thinking about it more, 9w8 makes more sense for Aregorn

leectra

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah, that does make sense

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Based on the movies:
Frodo: INFJ 9w1
Sam: ISFJ 2w1 (The Sam-Frodo contrast perfectly illustrates all the ways sensors can be better than intuitives)
Merry: INFP 1w9
Pippin: ENFP 7w6 ("Why did you look? Why do you always have to look?")
Aragorn: ISFP 6w5 ("If by my life, or death, I can save you, I will. You have my sword")
Gandalf: INTJ 6w5
Legolas: ISTP 9w8
Gimli: ESFP 7w6
Boromir: ESFJ 6w7 (He wants the ring because of Fe, not Te. And he's actually a really nice guy, teaching the hobbits to fight and all)
Faramir: ISFJ 6w5
Denathor: INTJ 9w8
Elrond: INTJ 5w6
Arwen: INFP 4w5
Galadriel: INFJ 4w3 ("All shall love me and despair!" She and Frodo have a strong connection because they're both INFJs)
Haldir : ISTP 1w9
Sauron: ENTJ 8w9 (I'm guessing, giant flaming eyes are difficult to type)
Saruman: ENTJ 8w9
Grima Wormtongue: ENTP 9w8
Theoden: ENTJ 8w9 (One of the most clearly heroic ENTJs in film history)
Eowyn: ISFP 4w3 (Her desire to fight is based more on 4ish self-realization than 1ish principle or 2ish compassion. She grows in the direction of 1)
Eomer: ISTJ 6w5 (He's serious, dutiful, and realistic. "I do not doubt his heart, only the reach of his arm")
Bilbo: INFP 6w7 (I want to see mountains, then find somewhere quiet where I can finish my book)
Gollum: ISFP 7w8

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lord of the rings is all about a lame fantasy of an old world... Star Wars actually depicts a future which in many ways is perhaps immanent within human realization (albeit without the "wars"). Still, there could be wars as far as general challenges go, the different forces of our existence. But I don't see us annihilating each other and unjustly causing destruction.

Nicodemus

Lord of the rings is all about a lame fantasy of an old world... Star Wars actually depicts a future which in many ways is perhaps immanent within human realization (albeit without the "wars"). Still, there could be wars as far as general challenges go, the different forces of our existence. But I don't see us annihilating each other and unjustly causing destruction.
One could almost say that one is fantasy and the other science fiction.

Mytre

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Gandalf - ENTP
Aragorn - INFJ (typical type for many elves, probably because he's brought up by elves)

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Lord of the Rings personality types

Main characters

Frodo: INFP
Sam: ISFJ
Gandalf: INFJ (but he's an INTJ in the books)
Aragorn: ISTJ

Others

Gimli: ESFP
Legolas: ISTP
Merry & Pippin: ESTP and ENFP
Boromir: ESFJ (I agree with [MENTION=19916]Emotionalogic[/MENTION]'s reasoning)
Theoden: ENTJ
Saruman: INTJ
Sauron: ENTJ

N.B. There is often a difference between movie and book portrayals. If only because more people will be familiar with the movies, concentrate on how characters are portrayed there unless you are making a comparison.

As I'm not 100% except with the top 4 and villains (why are bad guys always NTJs?!?), and have missed quite a few characters for one reason or other, any comments would be appreciated.