• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Snape's type

O

Oberon

Rowling's best-developed and most intriguing (read: least wooden) character in the Harry Potter series is Severus Snape. Alan Rickman was well cast in the films. I can empathize with him.

What's his type? Definitely I, definitely T, probably P...

IxTP, then. Or do you disagree?

(Yes, I know the thread is foolish and pointless.)

O

Oberon

Jen's not answering because she's been too much of a snob to do Harry Potter. She prefers Tolkien. So do I, but Potterworld is very engaging, and I always love a new toy.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hmm. I can see him as either ISTP or INTP. (Keeping in mind that I have valiantly resisted reading the books, but somehow I've allowed myself to be talked into watching all of the movies save the latest one. But Snape is my favorite character.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jen's not answering because she's been too much of a snob to do Harry Potter. She prefers Tolkien. So do I, but Potterworld is very engaging, and I always love a new toy.

I'm not a snob.
I'm incurably lazy.

It's why I've never finished Unfortunate Events either.

O

Oberon

I'm not a snob.
I'm incurably lazy.

It's why I've never finished Unfortunate Events either.

Nah...you must simply not like it. If you liked it, you wouldn't be able to put it down.

How many times have you read LoTR through from end to end? That's not the act of a lazy person.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nah...you must simply not like it. If you liked it, you wouldn't be able to put it down.

How many times have you read LoTR through from end to end? That's not the act of a lazy person.

I seemed to have a lot more energy when I was younger... and less to distract me.

I read the first seven or eight books of UE in the same amount of days... then just got distracted. It's more a matter that the issues I deal with are more intense than my desire to block off large chunks of time to read.

(I recommend the UE books, btw. They're fun. And very smart.)

I haven't read through LotR for years -- ten or more? Some spot reading of my favorite parts from time to time, but I doubt I can wade through the second half of Two Towers anymore.

I do reread Donaldson every two years or so though, and am currently plowing through Earthsea for the thirtieth time it seems. :)

O

Oberon

Snape's. Type.

Remember Snape?

This was a thread about Snape.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Snape the button-pusher-but-ultimately-benign chaotic neutral - ISTP
Snape the grand-plan-having neutral evil - INTP

Clearly I need to read the books to refine these impressions.

O

Oberon

Snape is, in a way, the fulfillment of the "Harry Potter" fantasy. The books are written to appeal to the child Snape in all of us who, feeling ugly, awkward, and unpopular, desire mastery over those who have abused us. For Snape, it's mostly about the Will to Power, moderated only by loyalty...and his loyalty is uncertain.

Harry is also motivated by the Will to Power, in his case moderated by several other factors, primarily the love of the people around him (most notably the Weasleys and Dumbledore).

As I see it, the primary difference between Harry and the young Snape is that Harry had better social skills.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
As I see it, the primary difference between Harry and the young Snape is that Harry had better social skills.

The difference I see is that Harry was put on a different path from the start - not by his own virtues, but by his parents + parent's friends... not to mention his social power and prestige from "his" defeat of he who must not be named.

As for Snape... he strikes me as an INTP, but I won't be able to decide for sure until I see his motivations for his acts in book 6. I won't put it past him to be an ISTJ, should his motivations be geared out of loyalty to the one he was serving at the time (just as his bitterness towards Harry could be seen reflected out of the "like father, like son" when the father was as "deviant" as Harry is.)

O

Oberon

Yes, well, Harry's parents and family friends were no influence at all during his formative years, except to lay the barest of foundations during his infancy.

Harry's E enough to make friends when he gets to school, and these friends are a great influence on him later. Ron Weasley in particular turns out to be the key to providing Harry with an entire adopted family.

I can't imagine that happening with Snape. He would have withdrawn into himself and become the butt of jokes by the popular set, thus creating a vicious circle of abuse/withdrawal.

Which is pretty much how Rowling depicts his early years at school.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
So how good are the Potter Books? I need something escapist to read. Something with six or seven books.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I vouch for INTP or INTJ for Snape, as well.

INTPs tend to have even poorer social skills than ISTPs, since socializing relies heavily on paying attention to concrete social cues. So even though an ISTP may prefer not to socialize, they probably have an easier time doing it because of a more here-and-now focus.

I think Snape is an INTx. I dunno, he seems too serious, determined, and obsessive to be a P.

O

Oberon

So how good are the Potter Books? I need something escapist to read. Something with six or seven books.

Well, it ain't literature exactly, but the characters are engaging, and Rowling's very good at worldbuilding.

If it's an escape you're looking for, then Harry Potter's a good choice.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I can't imagine that happening with Snape. He would have withdrawn into himself and become the butt of jokes by the popular set, thus creating a vicious circle of abuse/withdrawal.

Hmm, good point, although it helped that Harry had a reason to have people crowding around him! But it is similar how to his father was well liked and had good friends.

They are good enough for you to march your ass out that door and go and get them right now. :yes: (They are meant for younger adults/kids though, but wow... they really blew me away even with(out) that knowledge).

I think Snape is an INTx. I dunno, he seems too serious, determined, and obsessive to be a P.

Though he isn't all that deliberate - Voldemort is someone who is driven... Snape is just all clever and superior... and bitter/jealous (Which is why I think he is probably an N :D ). That makes him seem very INTP... I just haven't seen him show many other qualities - but the ending of the 6th book really threw me for a loop.

He could very well be an INTJ seeking the winning side and being a whole lot more clever than he seems. Or he could just be very passionate about something now.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Though he isn't all that deliberate - Voldemort is someone who is driven... Snape is just all clever and superior... and bitter/jealous (Which is why I think he is probably an N :D ). That makes him seem very INTP... I just haven't seen him show many other qualities - but the ending of the 6th book really through me for a loop.

He could very well be an INTJ seeking the winning side and being a whole lot more clever than he seems. Or he could just be very passionate about something now.

What would make Ns bitter and jealous?

EDIT: And for the record, I do think Alan Rickman might be an INTJ just judging by most of the characters he plays.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd vote INTJ for Snape, mind you I've only seen some of the movies, but he seems to be doing things more methodically than he lets the other characters know.

O

Oberon

In his teaching, Snape seems more procedural than conceptual. He also expects his students to follow the forms. The surest way to get on Snape's wrong side is to violate a protocol (which sadly seems to be Harry's way of life).

Would these traits mitigate toward J rather than P?