• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

People/Characters You Look Up To

Gwyn

Do you find that you are drawn toward inspirational people/characters that are similar to your type? Why or why not?

Thank you.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. Why? That's an interesting question. For me, I think it's in large part because I didn't/don't get to be around people who I relate to in a multiple of very deep ways that often - where our motivations, values, behavior, emotions, and experiences are extremely similar. Particularly when I was young, those characters made me feel not so alone, understood, and allowed me to escape into their worlds for awhile.

Gwyn

Hi Luminous. That is a good point. It seems like I gravitate toward wanting to emulate the characteristics and integrity of certain characters. I researched what their personality type was and found that they all had the same type or a similar stack but in a little different order. I just looked up another and character and it was the same. I know trying to figure out your type is a life long process, but I'm so wishy washy with type and type stacks I second guess and try to find different tactics to know for certain what stack is my preference. Of course I will sleep on it and arrive at uncertainty again eventually ;)

Thank you for your input and your description. Relating and reflecting is important.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Hmmm I think I tend to look up to people who have personality traits I admire and would like of possess like patience ..
But I think my personality type isn't really ever taken seriously, they are always showing the silly fun side but not the more emotionally complex and pattern driven side.

Khaleesi/Daenerys
from game of thrones is the closest I could say to a character who really resonated with how I see myself and also how I respond under stress, I felt her desire to burn everything to the ground viserally in the final season and I knew her bahavoir was based on unhealthy responses to feeling control slipping. I desperately wanted her to stop, think and calm down but I understood why she couldn't.

she is an NF though soo..

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But I think my personality type isn't really ever taken seriously, they are always showing the silly fun side but not the more emotionally complex and pattern driven side.

Oh, I don't agree with you on that one... I've known some remarkably accomplished ENFP 7s.

I don't really look up to others much in that I would like to be them. It's not really how I think. I would say for quite a while, I had a picture of Thomas Jefferson in my office. It's amazing what he accomplished and if you ever visited Monticello, some of the things he did there were incredible. He also had very good taste in wine. Of course Jesus had a remarkable impact on the world but "looking up to him" doesn't seem like a good way to describe it.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
With fictional ENTPs and/or 7s, I wouldn't quite describe it as "looking up to" necessarily, but I'd love to hang out with them if they were real people. I really vibe with Tyrion Lannister from GoT (I'm gonna pretend GRRM isn't taking his sweet-ass time with the books and the last season never happened); he really experienced a more positive trajectory away from his negative past and struggles with his family at a certain point in the series. I'm very drawn to characters who experience moral arcs for the better; self-discovery and self-improvement are two areas I'm really fascinated by and good at assessing for myself, but it's a lot more difficult for me to make progress. Sokka from ATLA fits this bill for me (he's a 6w7, but still). Also, Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park and Tony Stark.

In real life...a lot of ENTP politicians are less than pleasant, so not sure I'd want to emulate or draw inspiration them, haha. Also, Elon Musk has been classified as an ENTP, I think? Smart guy, but not someone I'd want to be like. I really admire a lot of polymath-type figures I'd classify as ENTP (ibn Battuta, Leonardo da Vinci come to mind); I'd want their intellect and the journeys they had. I think I'm just as drawn to historical figures with complementary traits and cognitive functions as I am of my own personality (particularly Fe-doms and certain ENTJs).

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Inspiration? Rarely, and few of the characters are the same type. But all of them are almost always percievers. I mostly like characters that have been through situations like my own, and can empathize with them. If I take inspiration from anything, its from the story itself.

Gwyn

I have met or watch interviews with some ENFPs who are quite cerebral. One of my friends may be more on the whimsical side, but she can be serious at times as well. I understand there being that stereotype though.

Gwyn

I guess I've wondered about the characters I'm most drawn to. Whether or not I look up to them is secondary perhaps. However, I have found a common function stack with them. At the same time it might just be a common type that I admire.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I actually pay a lot less attention to people than I probably should, so not really? I pay attention to and get more agita from watching characters that are like me than inspiration. Not necessarily because I dislike my personality either, just because when I find very similar characters watching their mistakes reminds me of everything I should work on fixing.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
dalecoop-850x510.jpg

J. Starke

MBTI Type
entj
Kobe Bryant was a very inspiring man. I'm also a big fan of Louis CK. He's a very authentic person and offers a lot of life advice through his comedy and it's not spoon fed but beautifully subtle.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that I am ESTJ (but I might also be an ENTJ). The character that I can relate most to with the same presumed type is Hermione Granger from Harry Potter.

I look up to a few ENTJ characters though. Paris Geller (Gilmore Girls) and to an extent (but not completely) Jan Levinson (The Office). I did admire Jan at the beginning of the show, but not when she deteriorated. I liked her when she was an organized executive.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't idolize people.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't have any specific role models, but right now I feel a specific admiration for people who are strong-willed and do not compromise their beliefs. I'm a very harmonious person with a bad habit of people-pleasing and letting others steamroll me, so I've been trying to actively put a more conscious effort into standing strong. So these are specific people/characters that give me that motivation by remaining strong and overcoming obstacles:

Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service)

Mariah Carey

Megan Thee Stallion

Tiffany "New York" Pollard (Flavor of Love)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Three real-life people I admire are John Adams (the original "liberal from Massachusetts"), Carl Sagan (able to make science exciting and relatable to the public), and Steve Gibson. This last, Steve Gibson, has been a tireless crusader for computer security and privacy, well, since I have been old enough to use a computer. For all of them, I admire their lifelong commitment to something that makes a lasting and positive impact on the world around them.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I've always admired Samuel Clemons and his alter ego Mark Twain.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I try not to admire any specific person as a whole, because whenever I do, that person usually ends up revealing unflattering aspects of themselves at some later point. The only person I would really feel safe admiring in their entirety is myself, but I'm not a particularly admirable person.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Okay I have thought about this again..
I would say Dan Rathers, I look up to / have admiration for but I don't aspire to be him , I enjoy his outlook.
I still have great admiration for the Marquise in dangerous liaisons, her discipline, her quest to dominate and avenge our sex and ability to play the game as a woman was excellent right up to the end.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I look up to traits that I wish to incorporate into myself, the people are merely the medium. I'm opposed to putting others on a pedestal or being put upon one myself, doubly so for the latter.