• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thom Yorke

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm like almost completely baffled how anyone can view him as a sensor. First off, I know lyrics aren't a very accurate means of deducing type, but just consistent usage of extended metaphors in their lyrics, but also how their usage of effects to produce this sort of ethereal, atmospheric sound to lots of their songs. Most of the time the lyrics aren't even really the focal point of the song, but more of the only constant force, like a backdrop, to a sound shaped around it that's in a constant state of flux(much more prominent in their later works which began with OKComputer, and progressed onward to Kid A, Amnesiac, The King of Limbs, and to a lesser extent Hail to the Thief). They don't really make the more sensor-ish relatable slice of life-ish ballads more commonly seen amongst sensor heavy musicians, nor do they or have they tried to compete in the loudness war, or really try to mimic any sort of set formula or limit themselves to the confines of one specific genre.

And also, while they're following is big enough to where they could be considered a mainstream recording group, they're total iconoclasts in comparison to other groups of their stature, both in their musical style, promotional practices (The name your own price gimmick for In Rainbows), and in their general reception to the media. Now I know that most of my post was speaking about the group as a whole, yet Thom is most definitely a creative driving force for the group, and being that he's been the most vocal about the general direction and motivations behind the band, I can't help but associate lots of these aspects that reflect in their music, artistically speaking, are the result of him putting a lot of himself into the music.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh I know right? Everything about Radiohead is so conceptual, almost pretentiously so. I remember when I was a teenager liking Creep and Fake Plastic Trees, but not being so sure why they called their albums things like Kid A and OK Computer. The spoiler tags where you put the inspiration for his songs seems heavily Ni/Ti too...like what the hell is he even talking about? So abstract. Almost INTP-ish abstract, but that's just the Ni/Ti. Note that I'm talking about the first description of "Street Spirit" when I say this, to clarify. It's a beautiful song, but he has attributed sooo much abstract meaning to it. He's just a biological catalyst for it? He didn't write it? OMG Ni.

Their music captures this whole ethereal atmosphere, too, like you said. It's almost other-worldly. I have to be in a very specific mood to listen to Radiohead. I can't listen to it all the time...it's too subtle and specific.

MBTI Type
TITS
Enneagram
7w8
I'm like almost completely baffled how anyone can view him as a sensor. First off, I know lyrics aren't a very accurate means of deducing type, but just consistent usage of extended metaphors in their lyrics, but also how their usage of effects to produce this sort of ethereal, atmospheric sound to lots of their songs. Most of the time the lyrics aren't even really the focal point of the song, but more of the only constant force, like a backdrop, to a sound shaped around it that's in a constant state of flux(much more prominent in their later works which began with OKComputer, and progressed onward to Kid A, Amnesiac, The King of Limbs, and to a lesser extent Hail to the Thief). They don't really make the more sensor-ish relatable slice of life-ish ballads more commonly seen amongst sensor heavy musicians, nor do they or have they tried to compete in the loudness war, or really try to mimic any sort of set formula or limit themselves to the confines of one specific genre.

And also, while they're following is big enough to where they could be considered a mainstream recording group, they're total iconoclasts in comparison to other groups of their stature, both in their musical style, promotional practices (The name your own price gimmick for In Rainbows), and in their general reception to the media. Now I know that most of my post was speaking about the group as a whole, yet Thom is most definitely a creative driving force for the group, and being that he's been the most vocal about the general direction and motivations behind the band, I can't help but associate lots of these aspects that reflect in their music, artistically speaking, are the result of him putting a lot of himself into the music.

Wow what a waste of words. Nothing you said is of any use to his type.

Hes behind the scenes. Not chart the course. Nuff said.

I know lyrics aren't a very accurate means of deducing type

Listen to yourself more.

Also just because Ni is the leading function of INFJ's doesn't mean that his Fe in the second position would just disappear....

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh I know right? Everything about Radiohead is so conceptual, almost pretentiously so.

I can definitely see how people reach that conclusion, and I would certainly agree with that myself if the band itself didn't appear so aloof and detached from most things related to the non-music side of the recording industry. To me, that opinion is the result the fact they don't succinctly fit in any one specific genre, but more that they incorporate themes from various genres that end up intertwining in this weird sort of musical blend, and blend which isn't even consistent on a per album basis; For the most part, each song is its own style which doesn't serve as a reflection to the tone of the overall album. Some bands become so synonymous with a particular genre or formula that it makes them easier to compare to their peers of that specific genre, but they don't really fit that mold, which is where I think people get the impression that they're intentionally trying to be innovative or abstract.

They're just this group that sort of exists on some like entirely separate galaxy that just churns out music, the inspiration from which comes only from their bouncing ideas off each other but keeping them confined in this very contained bubble like space.

Wow what a waste of words. Nothing you said is of any use to his type.

Hes behind the scenes. Not chart the course. Nuff said.

I think I did, albeit indirectly and perhaps a bit vaguely. But to say that their music isn't a reflection of him personally as perhaps the major driving force creatively, seems like you're kind of missing the gist of what I was getting at with that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can definitely see how people reach that conclusion, and I would certainly agree with that myself if the band itself didn't appear so aloof and detached from most things related to the non-music side of the recording industry. To me, that opinion is the result the fact they don't succinctly fit in any one specific genre, but more that they incorporate themes from various genres that end up intertwining in this weird sort of musical blend, and blend which isn't even consistent on a per album basis; For the most part, each song is its own style which doesn't serve as a reflection to the tone of the overall album. Some bands become so synonymous with a particular genre or formula that it makes them easier to compare to their peers of that specific genre, but they don't really fit that mold, which is where I think people get the impression that they're intentionally trying to be innovative or abstract.

They're just this group that sort of exists on some like entirely separate galaxy that just churns out music, the inspiration from which comes only from their bouncing ideas off each other but keeping them confined in this very contained bubble like space.

Yeah...and that's cool...I love what they create, I like listening to it sometimes, and as I mentioned in that post "Street Spirit" is a hauntingly beautiful song...but I absolutely do not believe it's about the ultimate triumph of the devil, and if that's what he intended that's fine that's his meaning, but his audience is free to interpret by what it makes them feel...and I think that because I'm Fi. Because of my Fi, I think that song only means what it makes individuals feel when they hear it...but he INSISTS it comes from the great beyond, and how sad it is that the audience doesn't see it, like they're dogs wagging their tails. WOW. What a blatant rejection of his inferior Se, if I do say so myself.

And yeah...Paranoid Android...Kid A...OK Computer...Karma Police...when I was younger I may have pretended or even tried to understand what that means, but as a grown woman, sure it seems almost pretentiously symbolic to me...but that's cool...it's their art, you know, it's their thing and I think that's fine they're so individualistic like that. I'm just not going to pretend it means anything to me as an adult. Beautiful haunting music, but as for some of the lyrics, just no.

Fake Plastic Trees is one of the only songs I attribute a specific meaning to, I thought it was about consumerism but here he was in your description talking about it being funny things that came out of his head...

MBTI Type
TITS
Enneagram
7w8
I think I did, albeit indirectly and perhaps a bit vaguely. But to say that their music isn't a reflection of him personally as perhaps the major driving force creatively, seems like you're kind of missing the gist of what I was getting at with that.

Its childish, and insubstantial.

Any type can and will use heavy metaphor in their writing. Which is basically what you said was Ni in that long ramble of doo doo.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, and? Now stop mentioning his music being "deep," and type realistically.

It's too abstract in some regards, I didn't say anything about deep.

Fi can be deep.

Jared Leto in 30 Second to Mars is emotionally deep and the music makes an intense impact (ISFP), but his lyrics are nowhere in the neighborhood of Radiohead abstraction.

Thom Yorke = Ni and I think EVERYTHING about him screams that. INFJs are often intensely private, I even see it on this forum.

G

Ginkgo

Well, it should be noted that Thom isn't the only lyricist in the group. In fact, a few of their songs were group projects.

Their lyrics are quite atmospheric and ethereal. Almost like random words strung together, loosely relating to whatever the chief theme is. According to the interview content that Stigmata posted, I would risk saying that the writing process sounds like an Ni process. Thom describes lyrics as though they surface with little outside influence, like bubbles randomly popping on the ocean. They flow through him, rather than a Ji dom who would flow through the lyrics themselves. The content of the songs is so abstract, it's a bit like Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun, which was really a word game in a similar vein as Lewis Carol.

MBTI Type
TITS
Enneagram
7w8
It's too abstract in some regards, I didn't say anything about deep.

Fi can be deep.

Jared Leto in 30 Second to Mars is emotionally deep, but his lyrics are nowhere in the neighborhood of Radiohead abstraction.

Thom Yorke = Ni and I think EVERYTHING about him screams that. INFJs are often intensely private, I even see it on this forum.

Stupid. No one has pointed out a clear cut example of Ni besides the bullshit postulation about his music which should be discounted based on its stupidity.

Real INFJ's are people who are the chart the course interaction style which Thom Yorke is notably not. He is most definitely behind the scenes. I find it funny no one has addressed that part of my original statement yet.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Stupid. No one has pointed out a clear cut example of Ni besides the bullshit postulation about his music which should be discounted based on its stupidity.

Oh so now people are stupid cuz they disagree with you. K.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah...and that's cool...I love what they create, I like listening to it sometimes, and as I mentioned in that post "Street Spirit" is a hauntingly beautiful song...but I absolutely do not believe it's about the ultimate triumph of the devil, and if that's what he intended that's fine that's his meaning, but his audience is free to interpret by what it makes them feel...and I think that because I'm Fi. Because of my Fi, I think that song only means what it makes individuals feel when they hear it...but he INSISTS it comes from the great beyond, and how sad it is that the audience doesn't see it, like they're dogs wagging their tails. WOW. What a blatant rejection of his inferior Se, if I do say so myself.

And yeah...Paranoid Android...Kid A...OK Computer...Karma Police...when I was younger I may have pretended or even tried to understand what that means, but as a grown woman, sure it seems almost pretentiously symbolic to me...but that's cool...it's their art, you know, it's their thing and I think that's fine they're so individualistic like that. I'm just not going to pretend it means anything to me as an adult. Beautiful haunting music, but as for some of the lyrics, just no.

Fake Plastic Trees is one of the only songs I attribute a specific meaning to, I thought it was about consumerism but here he was in your description talking about it being funny things that came out of his head...

Yeah, I've read/watched their interviews and wondered whether he creatively is that complex to where he attributes that much deeper value in a song initially, or whether those quotes were just the result of later articulation to sensations he felt during the creative process. Personally, I try not to get too caught up trying to decipher song meaning, as it typically detracts away from the song itself and putting any actual effort into doing so would make the results feel contrived, as opposed to when you 'get' the meaning of a song naturally after having listened to it.

Its childish, and insubstantial.

Any type can and will use heavy metaphor in their writing. Which is basically what you said was Ni in that long ramble of doo doo.

Fair enough.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, how about you point out a real example of Ni? that'd be a start. Or you can avoid answering that by pointing out retarded things that have nothing to do with his type? And never say anything of use ever.

You know the way people think and create does have to do with their cognition, as do their motives. I've given clear explanations for Ni dom vs. Jared Leto who is Fi dom. If you don't like it, that's your problem.

There's nothing retarded about comparing someone's art to their overall demeanor.

I don't know where you're even getting ISFP other than Thom Yorke is very introverted and intensely private, so you keep insisting he's "behind the scenes." His description of his fans sounded very much like rejection of inferior Se to me, definitely not aux Se.

So unless you can stop calling people stupid and retards when they're giving thoughtful explanations for their opinions, I'm done with you.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Listen, Mr. Biscuits. Do you mind if I call you that? I know it's a bit formal.

I know it's pretty much standard procedure for some to feel the need to earn their NT stripes by making their points in a very brash and abrasive manner, but you're kinda polluting the air with bad vibes, man. Trust me, I, or no one else will think less of you if you wanna have a real discussion like normal people without the use of grade school insults to drive your points home.

G

Ginkgo

So look at around 3:32 of this video:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWOKtktYfP0&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]

He says that his inspiration is a bit like constructing a parallel universe, and has little to do with him. As far as I'm concerned, that suggests Ni, because, while Ji functions have the propensity to become egocentric, Ni is very difficult for the ego to envelop; if the ego were to take hold of one's intuition, their psyche would become warped at best. Could you imagine believing you are the abstract tapestries that rush in and out of your brain? That would be lunacy. Inspiration comes with ease for the Ni dom, but extemporaneously, with or without immediate impact from the environment. Furthermore, the notion that his music illustrations this "parallel world" rather than him as a person, suggests that he is a 5 rather than a 4, as E5s tend to want their perspective to be understood, while on the other hand E4s tend to want their selves understood. Fine distinction.

That's all I got.

Starry

Real INFJ's are people who are the chart the course interaction style which Thom Yorke is notably not. He is most definitely behind the scenes. I find it funny no one has addressed that part of my original statement yet.

Ahh I've known a few INFJs irl...and none of them were this 'chart the course' kind of INFJ that you describe. Moreover...I had a relationship with an INFJ male 5w4 that was SO NOT 'chart the course' I couldn't even tell you. If he could get lost in his 'imaginary world of thoughts' and never return...he would get lost in his 'imaginary world of thoughts' and never return.

It is spooky when I watch these Thom Yorke videos because I see my irl INFJ 5w4 in him. This makes me suspect my irl 5w4 was sx/sp. I don't know though. But everything...down to the pissyness. Uff. LOL!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw the title of the thread and thought "INFJ" without giving any thought to it.

After giving it some thought, and reading the above posts, I still agree with that.

MBTI Type
TITS
Enneagram
7w8
Listen, Mr. Biscuits. Do you mind if I call you that? I know it's a bit formal.

I know it's pretty much standard procedure for some to feel the need to earn their NT stripes by making their points in a very brash and abrasive manner, but you're kinda polluting the air with bad vibes, man. Trust me, I, or no one else will think less of you if you wanna have a real discussion like normal people without the use of grade school insults to drive your points home.

Is it impossible for you people to look at the substance of what someone says? Making condescending remarks about what you believe are my motivations for calling you out is possibly the most childish/ useless thing you could do (at least my childishness has substance). I know you're trying to save face but the only way you're going to do that is by truthfully typing Thom York. Not proving superiority over me with your bad rhetorical tactics.