• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Closer

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There's been a lot of referring to Closer of late on this forum. Maybe because it's so character driven.

Nat Portman: INFJ, plays ENFP
Clive Owen: INTP, plays ESTP
Jude Law: ENFP, plays ESFP
Julia Roberts: INFP?, plays ISTJ

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Edgar nailed the types of:

Larry as ESTP, and
Anna as ISTJ.

I nailed the type of

Alice as ENFP.

Dan, he does show ENFP qualities, but to me it's not a solid match. It could be the closest though.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I just get that vibe from him because in the film the differences between him and Alice are always highlighted and so if you are working on the assumption that Alice is ENFP ( Which I think is a good one) then Dan can't be ENFP (Just my theory) :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I just get that vibe from him because in the film the differences between him and Alice are always highlighted and so if you are working on the assumption that Alice is ENFP ( Which I think is a good one) then Dan can't be ENFP (Just my theory) :)
Yes...It does make reasonable sense. Didn't I say that? Perhaps I forgot. :p

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
LOL yea I know I was just explainging my reasoning I wasn't having a feeler complex and directing my insecurity your way :)

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
I just watched this film yesterday. Natalie's character, Alice (who was the nicest character in the movie... so innocent while the other characters were scheming), was ENFP also in my opinion. Anna was an IxTx. Dan, I thought, was an INFP "gone bad", but I could be totally wrong about that! He could be also ENFP or ESFP, as other people have suggested.

Larry, I think, was an ExTx.

I'm not sure, however, if the characters in this film had distinct personality types. As someone on IMDb wrote, the film is more about the connections between people than about the people themselves. Anyone who has cheated or been cheated on can relate to these characters in some way, whether they share personality traits with them or not.

It was intriguing how all the characters lied about something. Dan lied about his feelings, Anna lied about the sex-- Alice/Jane was sincere about her feelings and sexuality but she lied about her identity. And Larry-- did Larry lie about anything? Perhaps not. Perhaps he was the most honest of the characters (although he did plot against Dan at the end of the movie).

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Alice: generic ExFx...I'm not sure why she's being typed as an ENFP. I see nothing particularly ENFP about her. Wikipedia says about her character,
Alice, on the other hand, has a polarized view of love—either you love someone or you don’t. She is a slate on which other people project their desires—an icon as well as a woman. Dan uses her as literary fodder, Anna uses her tear-stricken expression for expression of beauty, and Larry uses her body and what he knows of her past for sexual and emotional gratification. An orphan, she “exists to be reinvented.”Dan appears to think she is looking for a father figure—that he fulfills the father role for Alice, and uses that as part of his argument to get Anna to sleep with him.
I wouldn't expect an ENFP to have a "polarized view of love."
Dan: eSFP
Larry: EsTJ...Love the heart/fist scene!
Anna: IxTP can't tell which, although leaning towards InTP and it would explain her relationship with Larry to some extent.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
loved this movie on so many levles, seen it about 20 times (well I was working from home that year and playing dvds felt like company.... know bits of the script by heart)....

Dan: INTP - he is a dreamer but never quite gets there... the whole joke about sending Larry to the aquarium is more N type.

Larry: ENTJ...rational dude bit controlling

Anna: ISTJ.... when she is confronted by Larry her dialogue is very concrete, very factual rather than desciprtive (hence S). I think she likes to be in control of the situation with Dan, don't get the impression she is an F, but then she is on her second husband with a bloke on the side, so maybe can't be without a relatiosnhip.

Alice/Jane: INFJ..... certainly nothing ENFP about her... they are way more over the top.

Loved Alices character, thought that she ahd the symbolic role of saving Anna from being beaten by Dan (ie she got her name from the wall of heroic people who save people).

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I Love this film! And interesting characters to consider too.

For me:

Larry - ESTJ
Anna - ISTP
Alice/Jane - ENFP
Dan - ISFP

VagrantFarce

Larry: "Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Go fuck yourself, you WRITER!"

Dan: :puppy_dog_eyes:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Larry: "Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Go fuck yourself, you WRITER!"

Dan: :puppy_dog_eyes:
Larry has the best lines

Larry: Thank you for your honesty. Now f*ck off and die, you f*cked up slag.

:D

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Here's my reasoning for why I Dan seems more of an NFP than an SFP to me. It's very simple: he doesn't live in the present moment, but always wants something that is not in the here and the now. When he's with Alice, he wants Anna. Then he's with Anna but leaves her because the relationship didn't turn out perfect in the beginning. Then he goes back to Alice and starts to talk about how she "was so perfect" at the moment of their first meeting and Alice has to remind him that she's still perfect. So, I think that Dan isn't very strong on Se, but instead has a strong but unhealthy Ne which makes him endlessly chase possibilities and, in the end, be left with nothing.

Why wouldn't Alice be an ENFP, though?

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Dan- ENFP
Anna- ISxJ
Alice- ESFP
Larry- Nothing but ESTP characteristics. He's one of the best examples of one actually.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Here's my reasoning for why I Dan seems more of an NFP than an SFP to me. It's very simple: he doesn't live in the present moment, but always wants something that is not in the here and the now. When he's with Alice, he wants Anna. Then he's with Anna but leaves her because the relationship didn't turn out perfect in the beginning. Then he goes back to Alice and starts to talk about how she "was so perfect" at the moment of their first meeting and Alice has to remind him that she's still perfect. So, I think that Dan isn't very strong on Se, but instead has a strong but unhealthy Ne which makes him endlessly chase possibilities and, in the end, be left with nothing.

Why wouldn't Alice be an ENFP, though?
Yeah that argument makes sense, he is rather idealistic.

But to me (being a stereotype writer) he's an introvert and that would make him an INFP. This makes his lack of self-awareness troubling because INFPs live very self-consciously. Besides I think his behaviour speaks of someone more in the moment. He doesn't think of the future or the consequences, he just acts. He's just following where his feelings take him and ISFPs are more inclined to do this. They take spontaneous action on their feelings, rather than thinking it all through like an INFP would. And I think the sort of idealism he has is something ISFPs possess too. I have an ISFP friend and she's 1000x more idealistic and romantic than me - I am naturally a mix of optimistic idealism and cynical realism.

I agree on Alice. A total ENFP and a fascinating character.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Dan - ESFP

Alice/Jane - ENFP

Larry - ESTP

Anna - ISFJ (But my first guess was ISTP. And I think Julia Roberts' wooden acting gives more of a TJ impression than her character)

momononari

I made an account just so I could comment! 😁
I was watching the film because of the scene with alice in the pink wig..its all over pinterest,tumblr and other social media and I wanted to know where it came from. I will say that the movie is great for mbti minded people. It was easy for me to type the people because i know of people who are similar to those represented in the movie.
Alice- definite ENFP (she possesses a charm that enfps have)
Anna- she is a grounded character, grounded in an Si kind of way. Julia roberts reminds me of my mother (isfj) in a physical sense but i have seen her typed as an infp suprisingly! In conclusion, i would have to say ISxJ- either an istj or an isfj.
Larry- a definite ESTP! I liked him alot. Estps have a carnal charm about them that I really admired in his character. personally His chemistry with Anna was good but with Alice it was better. He is a very physical man which tends to be a pattern with estps due to their Se. I rrally so think he was magnificent and handsome.
Daniel or Dan- to my surprise, i did not see what i thought was obvious-- that Dan was an INFJ. The stereotype usually is that infjs are to good to be true but after comparing him with an infj i know, i find that personality to be quite fitting. Infjs and enfps have good chemistry too which explains why he was interested in Alice. Infjs tend to change their energy and stuff like that depending on who they are around. Around anna, he was a bit immature but around Alice..the dynamic was different but still playful. He reminded me of an intj without the brooding aspect and dark void intensity. And intjs and infjs have inferior Se which tends to result in the pleasure seeking and passion in the movie. He was like a soft intutitive handsome sensitive boy...almost like an infp but not quite. Ive seen people say he is extroverted but i dont believe he is. Infjs can appear extroverted though through their actions and behaviour but most of the time in the movie he was thinking deeply with the emotion that was loaded with Fe. Ive never seen such an emotional guy especially with the larry scene in the dermatologist place. Either way, i still loved his character.

Btw, im an infp 4w5 479 😉 for anyone who cares to know!