User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Tolkien Was INTP, not INFP. Convince me otherwise

Tolkien was a master world builder but he left a lot to desire in his characters’ arcs, if they can even be called arcs. He was great at creating fictional cultures but most of the individual characters he created were wooden archetypes taken straight out of Beowulf, the Bible and other heroes journey myths.

Why does everyone seem to type him INFP? I’d expect an INFP to do a better job of creating human, multidimensional characters. They seem to have a real gift for putting themselves in other’s shoes.
    “Some people underestimate how erotic it is to be understood.” -Mary Rakow
    “In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.” -CG Jung
    “I have made a ceaseless effort not to ridicule, not to bewail, not to scorn human actions, but to understand them.” -Baruch Spinoza

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

the parallels were more of an intentional design decision than an inability to create something entirely unique...

that said, i have no strong opinion of his type beyond that i have suspected nt for some time now...
    "Oh my God, you are a child. If we leave you alone here, you’ll freeze to death, you’ll starve to death.' And so on. It was very exciting for her, taking his dignity away in the name of love."

MBTI
    INFJ

I hope your typing is based on strengths, too, and not just deficiencies.
    the lone star flies alone

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I hope your typing is based on strengths, too, and not just deficiencies.
    Yes. He was a master world builder. Although he wrote fantasy, there was a definite internal logic and consistency to Arda.

I know it's become very popular to compare Tolkien to George RR Martin, but it serves as a good contrast between INTP and INFP.
    “I have made a ceaseless effort not to ridicule, not to bewail, not to scorn human actions, but to understand them.” -Baruch Spinoza

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    the parallels were more of an intentional design decision than an inability to create something entirely unique...

that said, i have no strong opinion of his type beyond that i have suspected nt for some time now...
    Yes. This intentional design was made possible by Ti and Si.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I didn't realize he was commonly typed as INFP.

He was a linguist by profession. That was one of his true loves; it's my understanding that he actually created full blown languages of Middle Earth. Tied to that, you could scrap the trilogy and there's all of the history prior to it that he fleshed out; THAT is what I find truly impressive and what I think speaks more to what made him tick. Much has been published posthumously that would point to INTP, and I'd personally choose that first over INFP; but honestly I don't have a strong opinion/don't find it super important (but that applies to type in general )
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes asynartetic, bechimo liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I didn't realize he was commonly typed as INFP.

He was a linguist by profession. That was one of his true loves; it's my understanding that he actually created full blown languages of Middle Earth. Tied to that, you could scrap the trilogy and there's all of the history prior to it that he fleshed out; THAT is what I find truly impressive and what I think speaks more to what made him tick. Much has been published posthumously that would point to INTP, and I'd personally choose that first over INFP; but honestly I don't have a strong opinion/don't find it super important (but that applies to type in general )
    Perhaps it's not as common a typing as I'd imagined. I just seem to remember seeing INFP as one of the most frequent suggestions whenever reading threads anywhere online regarding his type.

MBTI
    INFJ

I also don't mean to imply that INFPs cannot be good world builders. They certainly can be, which is why I mentioned Martin.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I also don't mean to imply that INFPs cannot be good world builders. They certainly can be, which is why I mentioned Martin.
    Well the difference is that Tolkien's world was internally cohesive and brilliantly detailed - he took into account nearly everything, wanting to make it as 'real' to life as possible, how an actual world would actually develop with its history, myths, eras, languages, song and art, and so on. Writers like Martin aren't focused on that - they're more about the story itself, the action and suspense, intrigue, lots of characters with their own stories/ multiple stories going on. Martin is more drama imo; Tolkien more focused on history, the world itself.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes asynartetic, bechimo liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

He created idealistic Black and White world - Delta. So INFP. If any other type he can be it would be ISTJ.
    True Neutral 1 8 3 7 5 Teexcellent>Niexcellent>Figood>Tigood>>>>Siaverage>Fe unused
    "There is no intellectualism in faith. Both atheist and theist choose their belief system based on ego and self-preservation." by 2017
    ===Logical Crusader===

Dail [or Daer] ú-[o] chyn [or fyn/thyn] [?] Ú-danno i failad a thi; an úben tannatha le failad.
    Likes raskol liked this post