• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Slavoj Zizek and Jürgen Habermas?

S

Sniffles

Can somebody classify the Leftist philosophers Slavoj Zizek and Jürgen Habermas?

[youtube="LhlOm6Ski-0"]ZIZEK -- Slavoj Zizek speaks.[/youtube]
[youtube="7wW5JMc12"]Slavoj Zizek about European Graduate School EGS 2006 1/2[/youtube]

[youtube="jBl6ALNh18Q"]Jürgen Habermas Interview[/youtube]

I'm willing to guess Zizek is ENFJ and Habermas is INTJ.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
zizek is either entp or enfp. i could see either. dominant Ne gone fucking MAD! i love the astra taylor documentary on him, also the movie examined life with him and cornel west (soooo enfp!). they're both brilliant and hiliarious in equal measure. i'm guessing entp for zizek, he looks too coked out and too much spittle to be enfp.

habermas i have no idea. my friend is very into habermas but i'm not too familiar. a communicative theory of ethics, intj doesn't sound too crazy. Ni dom and Te practicality.

what do you think william james was? pragmatism as a whole? pierce and dewey too? maybe even george herbert mead (intj???) from the chicago school. i think there are a lot of things to unpack that would be very interesting and a strange critique of social theory.

i want to guess adorno, merleau ponty, husserl, horkheimer, gadamer, etc. various loose ends. but i don't know where to begin. i think adorno makes sense as infp. he's my infp friend's hero just like david foster wallace was. too much overlap.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Habermas is awesome.

I was exposed to his work in a policy development class a few semesters ago.

Legitimation Crisis! Kind of like what happened at the end of W's regime? ;)

Also, my professor noted that Habermas stated something to the effect of "Humans are speaking creatures." and that our thinking and very reality is greatly affected by our use of language. He noted later in the semester that when he was younger Habermas had a speech impediment, and thought it interesting that facet of his life influenced his work.

INTJ seems to work for him nicely.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
enfp instead of entp for zizek? i can sort of see either, but want to know why, why, why

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
i've always thought of habermas as intppp if you're looking at his writing style (technical and constantly qualifying, like jung) and his ideas "the deliberative public" etc. and his dive into epistemology in knowledge and human interests. that's NTP-ground, concerned with establishing technical boundaries for knowledge.

zizek is crazy and ne driven but i am repeating myself :p

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Good thread topic Peguy. I'd say ENF/TP for Zizek and INTP for Habermas. The reason for the latter is because, unlike many (usually more contemporary) theorists in the tradition who reject altogether the need for a rational grounding (claiming that it is an unfortunate habit inherited from the rationalist tradition- for a good example of this I would recommend reading Alan G. Gross), Habermas is concerned with grounding rationality in communication itself. Retaining epistemological concerns when dealing with the social signals INTP in my mind. I agree with Blackwater.

jdempcy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Zizek seems introverted to me.

I thought he would be an extravert as well until I read much more about his personal life and panic attacks. From my understanding, there is a verifiable neurological difference in brain chemistry between introverts and extraverts. Introverts process information through Broca's region and are hypersensitive to dopamine, as well as not converting adrenaline to dopamine. Extraverts process information directly bypassing the frontal lobes, and in fact require adrenaline to generate dopamine. Thus extraverts enjoy eye contact but it freaks introverts out -- extraverts enjoy observing but introverts like to talk and reflect. (Zizek has the hardest time observing -- he can't turn off his constant introspection).

If we think of dopamine as something akin to "narcissistic supply" -- something which gives our lives meaning, as opposed to merely happiness -- then I think it is plain to see that Zizek is an introvert. He does not require adrenaline, in fact he abhors it. Zizek suffers from crippling panic attacks, shyness, awkwardness and so on. He absolutely does not require adrenaline to feel good about himself. Introverts feel an adrenaline rush when the phone rings. We typically have a hard time making eye contact, have a lot of nervous tics etc. We also hate the sound of our own voice or watching ourselves on video. (Zizek notoriously avoids seeing himself speak).

That being said, my initial typing of him was ENFJ before I read about his personal life. Discovering that he has panic attacks and is deathly afraid of people (even going so far as to pretend he is in meetings to avoid having to meet with students) seems quite introverted to me.

He is definitely not an INFJ because they are averse to antagonism. INFJ prefers to keep the peace and make connections, and is ultimately on the side of mercy rather than justice. INTJ is very justice-oriented, and when Zizek says things like "I align myself with Jesus with the fiery sword who hates his parents" and so on, I can't help but think INTJ.

The other reason I would think Zizek is an INTJ is because we are often confused with ENTP, and that is one of the common typings for him. I myself have been confused with ENTP on numerous occasions. (We do share similar functions and weaknesses).

INTJ has extraverted thinking which soaks up anecdotes and stories. I know that when I write, it is chock full of jokes and little tidbits taken from my near-photographic memory of quotes and books I've read. I am disconnected from the present (which is my inferior function) and even more disconnected from the past (Si is the 8th function in the stack, the shadow of my inferior). I recognize these qualities in Zizek too: the disembodiment, the over-excited mind which is not present in the moment nor dwelling the past, but always in the realm of future possibilities -- always travelling forward and backward in time to draw conclusions and build systems.

My vote for Zizek is INTJ simply because it's the most similar to ENTP of the introverts. Since most people classify him as ENTP, and since he is definitely not an extravert, I think INTJ fits.

jdempcy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The other question is: what type is Hegel? Zizek idolizes Hegel even moreso than Lacan. I would presume that Zizek is either the same type as Hegel or the 'matching type' -- e.g. if Hegel is INTJ then Zizek would be ENTP (because we typically adore each other).

Lark

Habermas is awesome.

I was exposed to his work in a policy development class a few semesters ago.

Legitimation Crisis! Kind of like what happened at the end of W's regime? ;)

Also, my professor noted that Habermas stated something to the effect of "Humans are speaking creatures." and that our thinking and very reality is greatly affected by our use of language. He noted later in the semester that when he was younger Habermas had a speech impediment, and thought it interesting that facet of his life influenced his work.

INTJ seems to work for him nicely.

You like Habermas? One of my favourite philosophers too, he wrote some really great stuff about how if there could be more perfect communication, in part through the use of words with the same meanings instead of divergent culturally specific meanings, then there would in all liability be greater agreement on topics such as politics, also that some of the greatest differences in politics or other topics were a result of differences in the intelligence of those having the discussion, at least in terms of their vocabularly and the meanings they could attach to words consequently, unacknowledged confusion giving rise to anger, affect overiding intellect, derailing discussion.

That kind of thing, I thought he was great. Witgenstein too, although I misspell all those philosopher dudes names.

I hate Zizek. He has a stupid name too.

jdempcy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
According to celebritytypes.com (take it with a grain of salt of course!): Both Marx and Hegel are INTJ. So I would think Zizek is either INTJ or ENTP. Since he has such horrible panic attacks and is certainly using Broca's region all the time, that rules out ENTP in my book. I know a few ENTPS and they are just not that nervous around people.

jdempcy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
This article on Hitchens as an INTJ seems to summarize Zizek perfectly. Zizek is always making sexual innuendoes, calling his warm-ups "foreplay," and has the same difficulty with an out-of-control Se (INTJ typically either avoid all stimulants/drugs or binge on them, with Zizek in the former camp -- Zizek has never so much as smoked pot and can't even handle caffeine).

http://www.celebritytypes.com/blog/2012/04/christopher-hitchens-and-extroverted-sensing-se/

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Zizek once said that he fears if he'd be less hyperactive, if he'd talk less and in a calm manner people would stop noticing him, because his thoughts alone are not necessarily enough to get his audience hooked on such serious topics.

He's a big thinker craving for attention - one more vote for ENTP.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Slavoj Zizek is ENTP 8w7 Sx/So.

say yes

MBTI Type
IN**
I guess Habermas is a good example of an introvert thinker. Zizek I don't know anything about, but I suspect him to be a charlatan.

I would like to compare Habermas with Richard Rorty. Both of them have seriously tried to make philosophy become of more public importance, which I think is honorable. And of them I would call Habermas the thinker and Rorty the intuitive. Examples:

*Habermas appears to me more slow and reliable (methodological thinking). Rorty quicker and more unpredictable (rich imagination).
*Habermas appears more open-minded, unassuming and humble (indicates a P-preference). Rorty more stubborn, pragmatic and challenging (indicates a J-preference).
*Habermas idea of philosophy: to be a stand in for ”empirical theories with strong universalistic claims” (the thinker tend to be a theoretican and system-builder). Rorty's idea of philosophy: "to scratch where it itches" (requires somewhat imaginative improvising).
*I who consider myself to be an INFJ, think that Rorty is quite easy to read, while Habermas is heavy and boring (though I value them about as much). I usually understand intuitives easily, but tend to get stuck when I try to read books by thinkers.

Lark

Can somebody classify the Leftist philosophers Slavoj Zizek and J�rgen Habermas?

[youtube="LhlOm6Ski-0"]ZIZEK -- Slavoj Zizek speaks.[/youtube]
[youtube="7wW5JMc12"]Slavoj Zizek about European Graduate School EGS 2006 1/2[/youtube]

[youtube="jBl6ALNh18Q"]J�rgen Habermas Interview[/youtube]

I'm willing to guess Zizek is ENFJ and Habermas is INTJ.

I think Habermas was more transcendent than left and right, although I take the point that he was to begin with and probably remains a leftist and Zizek, well, I just hate the guys philosophy, it reheated contrary-ism and bad marxism. Its Frankenstein Marcuse.

I think Habermas was probably INTJ, the concerns he had with communication and eventual assailability of obsticles or barriers to communication I think definitely show I and TJ, his focus upon hermeutics I would think suggest N.

Lark

I guess Habermas is a good example of an introvert thinker. Zizek I don't know anything about, but I suspect him to be a charlatan.

That's all you need to know about Zizek, he's a charlatan.

Usehername

On a mission
Habermas isn't an INTJ. He's playing too easily with Ti to be an INTJ. I see INTP, but could buy an INFJ since the academy cultivates one's Ti regardless of preference. I agree with [MENTION=4490]Orangey[/MENTION] and [MENTION=310]Blackwater[/MENTION].

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
Slavoj Zizek ... really weird. Lol.
Though I don't understand his intellectual background fully.