• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Noir Anti-Hero

reckaro

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
What's the MBTI/Enneagram type of the Noir Anti-Hero?
We are talking about this kind of guy
362fad051806ccb8979c13cda004c74f.png
9adbdb2e17c6204c9fcffe7036bd756b.jpg
30dba6ab57f4990b10b3dd92713f5e57.jpg

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
It would depend on the specific anti hero, while they all have things that make them anti heroes, they're not all the same by a long shot.

I would say Marv (Sin City) is an ISFP 8
Harvey Bullock (Gotham) I would say is an ESFP 7
Hartigan (Sin City)I think is INTJ 6
John Merrick (Dark City) INFP 4
Sam Spade (The Maltese Falcon) ISTP 7

The other things to consider about Noir is pretty much everyone falls into the category of predator in some way shape or form. Often times what makes an anti hero in the first place is the extra dose of "darkness" in the world around them. Part of what makes Noir, and anti heroic stories so fascinating, is the dark atmospheric oppressiveness of the aesthetic itself. In a noir world, even an INFP 9 is a potentially deadly adversary if the wind blows right for the opportunity. IMO anyway.

reckaro

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
It would depend on the specific anti hero, while they all have things that make them anti heroes, they're not all the same by a long shot. I would say Marv (Sin City) is an ISFP 8 Harvey Bullock (Gotham) I would say is an ESFP 7 Hartigan (Sin City)I think is INTJ 6 John Merrick (Dark City) INFP 4 Sam Spade (The Maltese Falcon) ISTP 7 The other things to consider about Noir is pretty much everyone falls into the category of predator in some way shape or form. Often times what makes an anti hero in the first place is the extra dose of "darkness" in the world around them. Part of what makes Noir, and anti heroic stories so fascinating, is the dark atmospheric oppressiveness of the aesthetic itself. In a noir world, even an INFP 9 is a potentially deadly adversary if the wind blows right for the opportunity. IMO anyway.

Yeah you're right.
There's this character from a book I've read which is a american-irish boy which starts at 17 as a mob hitman, and throughout the 30-years history of his life he becomes a part of CIA paramilitary death squads in South America gets depressed with PTSD, becomes an alcoholic tramp, turns back in the bloody-secret game forcedly and save the loved femme fatale, with which escapes.
He is described during the whole story as ultra-introverted, taciturn and wary. Despite his excellent tactical skills, he tries more than he can to live a normal civilian life, but unsuccesfuly.
He is cold and careless but at the same time shy, kind and helpful. Has a ton lot of regrets for what he's done during his life. His story is mostly noir, tragic and hardcore.
I tried to summarise him, and think that he's a ISTP 5w6 4w5 9w8. Whatcha think?

The Cat

Staff member
Yeah you're right.
There's this character from a book I've read which is a american-irish boy which starts at 17 as a mob hitman, and throughout the 30-years history of his life he becomes a part of CIA paramilitary death squads in South America gets depressed with PTSD, becomes an alcoholic tramp, turns back in the bloody-secret game forcedly and save the loved femme fatale, with which escapes.
He is described during the whole story as ultra-introverted, taciturn and wary. Despite his excellent tactical skills, he tries more than he can to live a normal civilian life, but unsuccesfuly.
He is cold and careless but at the same time shy, kind and helpful. Has a ton lot of regrets for what he's done during his life. His story is mostly noir, tragic and hardcore.
I tried to summarise him, and think that he's a ISTP 5w6 4w5 9w8. Whatcha think?

I would totally buy that. I could also see ESTP in an inferior ni grip depending if its more paranoia induced introversion, vs a more natural ti before se sort of thing, but ISTP would certainly fit. WEhat's the nam of the book btw?

reckaro

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
I would totally buy that. I could also see ESTP in an inferior ni grip depending if its more paranoia induced introversion, vs a more natural ti before se sort of thing, but ISTP would certainly fit. WEhat's the nam of the book btw?
'The Power of the Dog' by Don Winslow, a masterpiece. It's an expansive book which describes 30 years of narco traffic in all America (actually a trilogy). This character is Sean Callan and is one of the four protagonists.
Let me know

reckaro

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
It would depend on the specific anti hero, while they all have things that make them anti heroes, they're not all the same by a long shot. I would say Marv (Sin City) is an ISFP 8 Harvey Bullock (Gotham) I would say is an ESFP 7 Hartigan (Sin City)I think is INTJ 6 John Merrick (Dark City) INFP 4 Sam Spade (The Maltese Falcon) ISTP 7 The other things to consider about Noir is pretty much everyone falls into the category of predator in some way shape or form. Often times what makes an anti hero in the first place is the extra dose of "darkness" in the world around them. Part of what makes Noir, and anti heroic stories so fascinating, is the dark atmospheric oppressiveness of the aesthetic itself. In a noir world, even an INFP 9 is a potentially deadly adversary if the wind blows right for the opportunity. IMO anyway.
Nah, Marv is and ESTP 8 , while for Hartigan why do you think he is an INTJ?

The Cat

Staff member
Nah, Marv is and ESTP 8 , while for Hartigan why do you think he is an INTJ?

Mostly based off INTJ's I've known in real life, but, yay, noir is so exciting, I'd love to know why you think ESTP 8 for marv, and I'll write up something for hartigan and we can bounce back and forth. I mean I suppose theres only so much noir we can talk about, but until then, it's gonna be a gas. :cheers:

reckaro

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Well, he is clearly a Se-dom, but he is more of a T than a F. His protectiveness comes from the 8

Mmm I can barely see an INTJ for Hartigan, but I approve that he is a 6w5, counterphobic