• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movie characters and MBTI

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
That's good to know.

I just wanted to figure out exactly what you think Ra was doing that made him an INTJ. Like examples of his actions and the things he has said.

I wasn't sure what you were referring to in your original post.

Here are a few examples:

Ra's willingness to adapt the offensive strategy of The League of Shadows to match the unique fissure points in Gotham's culture - her profound susceptibility to criminal influence; blurred/polluted lines in enforcement of law/ethical mores; sophisticated comprehension of the relationship between economic vulnerability and emotional weakness ("Create enough hunger and everyone becomes a criminal...") speaks clearly to an individual able to accurately convert broad sociocultural pattern into a singular plan of action. As you know, powerful Ni is the ability to concisely forecast data cultivated from what might otherwise be understood as "white noise".

I see your connection to Ra's dedication to tradition. Tradition, I suspect, is of secondary importance to his ultimate goal of eradicating unsavory elements within the human condition that prevent us from "confronting truth" (See: The Will to Act segment)

He is fundamentally an abstract thinker. Tradition is simply his instrument of choice in furthering his essential desire to reduce psychological dependence on "untruths".

He is willpower, given human form. To this end, Wayne's intense focus is offered perhaps as a consequence of Ra's.

Thoughts?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here are a few examples:

Ra's willingness to adapt the offensive strategy of The League of Shadows to match the unique fissure points in Gotham's culture - her profound susceptibility to criminal influence; blurred/polluted lines in enforcement of law/ethical mores; sophisticated comprehension of the relationship between economic vulnerability and emotional weakness ("Create enough hunger and everyone becomes a criminal...") speaks clearly to an individual able to accurately convert broad sociocultural pattern into a singular plan of action. As you know, powerful Ni is the ability to concisely forecast data cultivated from extraneous "white noise".

I see your connection to Ra's dedication to tradition. Tradition, I suspect, is of secondary importance to his ultimate goal of eradicating unsavory elements within the human condition that prevent us from "confronting truth" (See: The Will to Act segment)

He is fundamentally an abstract thinker. Tradition is simply his instrument of choice in furthering his essential desire to reduce psychological dependence on "untruth".

He is willpower, given human form. To this end, Wayne's intense focus is offered perhaps as a consequence of Ra's.

Thoughts?

While watching the movie I got the impression that Ra was "the shadow" of Bruce Wayne. Him and Batman were similar people who worked for different sides. They were both guardian angels, in a sense, who only appeared when they were needed.

Ra talked about how The League of Shadows waits patiently until they are needed. How they are the enforcers of mores and justice. When the scale is tipped, they appear to set it right. Batman was exact same thing, only he appeared to protect, not to destroy, like Ra.

When I try to type a person (or a character), I try to go for the essence of the personality. What is the driving force of that person? Not so much what he says, because people may speak in a different way depending on how they are raised or what their profession is.

Ra's driving force appeared to be the sense of duty to set something right when it went wrong. An obligation to the human civilization. A surgeon who must remove the tumor, even if it brings the patient pain. He was entrusted with this obligation by being the head of The League of Shadows. To me that's spells SJ.

Ra had that philosophic streak in him that you mention, that's true, but that doesn't make him an N. Every monk is a philosopher to a degree, and that's what he was: a warrior monk. You also have to take into consideration that the guy is centuries old, so he had extensive wisdom that comes with it.

The League of Shadows did adopt different techniques over time to do their work: fire in Rome, disease in London, economy in Gotham. And its true that SJs tend to be more rigid when it comes to adaptability than NTs. But if their job specifically calls for adaptability, SJs can learn that skill and wield it competently. For example, it could have been in the order's training manual that one should never repeat the same tactic to destroy a city because it lowers the possibility of success (no element of surprise), due to the fact that societies learn from great disasters and protect themselves accordingly.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He wanted her. That's affection.
Bull. Affection is about the other person, not your own desire.

Besides which, as I've already stated, wanting Natalie isn't exactly a minority sport.

Contradictions perhaps between what I said in one place and what you thought I meant somewhere else, but no.

Contradiction:

If I were to get ultra-psychoanalytical, I'd say she felt cheated and hurt, and was depressed, and she wanted to feel wanted by someone.

Yeah, she stopped being in love with Dan, because he violated her values (very important to ENFP), and broke his heart instead of the other way around. .

It would be interesting to know what an actual ENFP thought about her type.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
^ No, that's not a contradiction. She was hurt first, then she turned around and hurt Dan.

Eternal Sunshine: I watched it again, twice, and all I can really say for Clementine and Joel is "Undefined." Clementine is basically ESFP in the first sequence, on the train, but ENFP when she and Joel are "running away" from Mark Ruffalo (lol). She doesn't maintain the ESFP temperament that, say, Mary, Kirsten Dunst's character does. Jim Carrey as Joel acts like several types in different scenes, from INTP to INFP to ISTJ and probably more. I can't begin to pin him down.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ @ person fixated on ENFPs :rolli: whateva!

Joel is an INTP. I completely get him.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
^ @ person fixated on ENFPs :rolli: whateva!

Joel is an INTP. I completely get him.
I'm not the only one who thinks the two ladies are/could be ENFP. I asked a fellow MBTI enthusiast, introducing no bias, just saying "What type do you think X is?", and got ENFP both times. Anyway, I'm not shy about admitting I have a soft spot for ENFPs, so good on your faux-insult.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not the only one who thinks the two ladies are/could be ENFP. I asked a fellow MBTI enthusiast, introducing no bias, just saying "What type do you think X is?", and got ENFP both times. Anyway, I'm not shy about admitting I have a soft spot for ENFPs, so good on your faux-insult.

Such a turn-off when people quote other people to justify their arguments.
;)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
You're the most annoying debater in history, or at least since ajblaise. I'm at least logical about it, man. I focus on the topic until you take it to a personal level, claiming that I only believe something because I'm F'd in the head, and when I defend myself, I'm "justifying." NOOOO. DO NOT WANT.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ ROFL!
Don't get your panties in a wad!
Yes. It is frustrating to meet your match.
:newwink:

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I must admit that when I watched the film I completely understood most of the way Clementine was and so that initially led me to believe that she was an ENFP however, I have since thought when trying to type people from other films or series etc that it mayb just be that I am using my empathy, not necessarily that she is the same type as me... just a thought. i think we all see ourselves in other people.. projection.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ No, you identified with her because she is an ENFP. Although if any type is gonna be guilty of projection......

I didn't identify with her at all.
I did like her though.

She reminded me of my sister - an ENFP.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
But I thought someone was trying to argue that she was in fact ESFP or have I just halucinated that? (Quite possible) However, I have heard it said on other fourms that ENFPs often are mistaken for ESFP especially if you only get to know us in a superficial manner

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
But I thought someone was trying to argue that she was in fact ESFP or have I just halucinated that? (Quite possible) However, I have heard it said on other fourms that ENFPs often are mistaken for ESFP especially if you only get to know us in a superficial manner
True. (The OP's type list has her as ESFP, but I would say she is more ENFP.)

In film, I'd say what you usually get is something other than a true type--a composite. Take an ESFP actor and give him a part which was written to be INTP, and if the actor isn't horrible at his job, but isn't a god either, you'll get a character who is neither ESFP nor INTP but shows characteristics of both types.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yea that's a very good point actually and I think it's worth noting when typing characters from movies or the small screen. For example, they were typing characters from sex and the city on another forum (To girlie for words I know) but they made the point there that Carrie (The main character) is ENFP however, a debate started that in fact she was ESFP and someone made the point that the actress who plays her has been typed as ESFJ and so this will have a bearing on the performance and how the character has been portrayed

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
It's much truer for something like a sitcom, because the writing situation is usually something like: Ten people bringing joke ideas to the table, brainstorming & coming up with more joke ideas, then assigning them to the characters as best they can. I don't even bother typing most TV characters.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Jason Borne was driven by the need to discover his past, to set right what was wrong. ISTPs concentrate too much on the present to act like Jason Borne. He risked his life in order to "do the right thing" (he didn't assassinate his target because he had a child). And in a third movie you also see his reasons behind joining the service (out of strong sense of duty) and in the end he forgoes his revenge, that he was seeking for so long, in order to prevent his tormentor from getting the honor of being "an agent killed in the line of duty"
ISTJ.

:cheers:

MBTI Type
ENTP
^ No, you identified with her because she is an ENFP. Although if any type is gonna be guilty of projection......

I'll wire you my life savings if you can make one argument supported by objective information that doesn't involve assuming the only reason anyone would disagree with you is because of some secret motivation that only you can see.

Clementine and Alice/Jane are ENFPs.

It's a lie. It's a bunch of sad strangers photographed beautifully, and... all the glittering assholes who appreciate art say it's beautiful 'cause that's what they wanna see. But the people in the photos are sad, and alone... But the pictures make the world seem beautiful, so... the exhibition is reassuring which makes it a lie, and everyone loves a big fat lie.
^Only an NF would say this.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll wire you my life savings if you can make one argument supported by objective information that doesn't involve assuming the only reason anyone would disagree with you is because of some secret motivation that only you can see.

Clementine and Alice/Jane are ENFPs.

^Only an NF would say this.

CRumbs!
I like needling Jack, but I'm not gonna argue with a meat-cleaver.

Although I don't see that your argument is all that objective either....

I think we are all in agreement about Clementine (apart from OP).

Alice/Jane. Agree to differ, I think.
I really could care less....

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Eternal Sunshine consistently panders towards NFP sensibilities. The characters read books, recall poet laureates, and quote Tom Waits lyrics. It's what the target market requires.

And while Clementine's disposition suggests S at times, her love of imagery and esoteric retrospect suggest N to me. Perhaps it's unrealistic, but I like the combination.

I'll have to watch the film again.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Can anyone take a stab at Leo DiCaprio and Matt Damon's types on "The Departed"?