• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movie characters and MBTI

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm fairly impressed. If I don't say anything, it means I agree or I don't have an opinion.

I'd thought of Ripley as INTP, but INTJ could be right. Otherwise I see your Aliens types as dead-on accurate.

Batman Begins: I was fairly confident in ISTP for Bruce Wayne.

Big Lebowski: ISFP perhaps for the Dude?

Closer: Alice is definitely ENFP, and I'm not sure about Dan being ENFP. He seems like a composite.

Eternal Sunshine: Clementine: ENFP, maybe ENFJ. I haven't seen this one in a while, but I wouldn't have typed Joel as SJ by any means, more likely INTP or INFP.

Tuco: I would lean toward ESFP.

Tony Montana: There's a Scarface thread here, I would lean toward ENTJ for Tony. Manny: ESFP.

Star Wars: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/360125-post51.html

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm fairly impressed. If I don't say anything, it means I agree or I don't have an opinion.

I'd thought of Ripley as INTP, but INTJ could be right. Otherwise I see your Aliens types as dead-on accurate.

Batman Begins: I was fairly confident in ISTP for Bruce Wayne.

Big Lebowski: ISFP perhaps for the Dude?

Closer: Alice is definitely ENFP, and I'm not sure about Dan being ENFP. He seems like a composite.

Eternal Sunshine: Clementine's another ENFP. I haven't seen this one in a while, but I wouldn't have typed Joel as SJ by any means, more likely INTP or INFP.

Tuco: I would lean toward ESFP.

Tony Montana: There's a Scarface thread here, I would lean toward ENTJ for Tony. Manny: ESFP.

Star Wars: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/360125-post51.html

Ripley: Well, when you can't pin point a personality, it sometimes helps to ask "Is that person directive or informative?" I'm sure most people would concur that Ripley had a directive personality (INTJ), and not an informative one (INTP)

Bruce Wayne: He's a classic "Detective" character from the olden days. He is the no nonsense, "do the right thing" attitude. Very detail oriented and consistent. Also lives in the past. He is driven by the death of his family and is very conscious about keeping his parents legacy.

The Dude: He's not really the artistsy type, like an ISFP would be. I often tell to friends as a joke "If you are not sure whether somebody is an ISFP, ask them if they like to draw. If yes, chances are ISFP". Dude is more of an opportunist than an F would ordinarily be. Like the way he handled himself when Mr. Lebowski refused to compensate him for the carpet. Don't let his faux concern through you off in the movie. He was talking about "that poor woman" he was merely imitating other characters from the film. And he only started caring when shit was hitting the fan.

(cont'd later)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I can get with your Wayne description, you might have something with ISTJ.

Ripley, I won't say "Yes she is INTJ," because when it has been required of me and other INTPs we can be directive as well, and very cold and unrelenting along with it, as a kind of pre-emptive defense mechanism.

The Dude, I just see more ISFP in him, which is backed mostly by personal observation of "confirmed" ISFPs. My dad, for example, can be very underhanded/passive agressive. But you could be right with ISTP, of course.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Alice (Closer): Notice how she handled being in love. When Dan told started talking about how it unsettled him that she was with Larry, she flatly said "I don't think I love anymore". NFs handle love with a lot more reverence than that. Also, Dan is a rare "asshole ENFP" character (I've never seen ENFP villain in another movie). He provoked the feeling of love in people as a tool for own narcissistic desires.

Eternal Sunshine: It's easy to see Clementine's ESFP-ishness when she had her temper tantrums. She was a lot more upfront confrontational than an ENFP would be. NFs pride themselves on the apparent diplomatic competency. Joel is a classic case of an insecure ISFJ - a boiling pot of inhibited feelings. Whenever ISFJs inhibit their feelings they become very passive aggressive. Like Joel he handled himself when he noticed that his car was damaged. He put a sarcastic note "Thank you" on a car next to his. He didn't do it as a snark, he did in way that looked like it was the only option available to him to deal with that situation (you could tell because he was clearly agitated by the incident). Also, Joel is obsessed about the past. Often to an SJ, the present and the future can never match the nostalgia of the past. I don't know if you met an ISFJ with an ex before, but the ISFJs have a habit of mentally rewriting the history of their failed personal relationships to make it look that it was in fact something wonderful that was lost for some tragic reason. In their mind it is always a lot better than it really was.

Tony (scarface): I actually had a dispute about him with another person, so I'll copy and paste most of the stuff from that argument:

Tony Montana wasn't really a planner or a long term strategist (like an NT). Tony didn't care much for politics, he carelessly made a lot of enemies because he refused to follow any sort of order or hierarchy for no good reason aside from the fact that he didn't like being told what to do. Although ENTJs don't shy away from confrontations, there is usually a reason for a confrontation (because ENTJs view power as more encompassing than mere physical domination, and therefore pay a lot more emphasis to politics than ESTPs). For Tony Montana, going against the grain was a way of life - his personality was that of a "Rebel" which in the movies is mostly associated with ESTPs. ESTP is a typical rebel who causes headache to authority and believes that there is no argument under the sun that cannot be solved with a good old fashioned fist fight. This character borders on being a troglodyte, no matter what his profession, be it an outlaw like Tony Montana in Scarface or doctor like Larry in Closer, male ESTP is the typical jerk who women pretend to despise, yet always fall for. Kind of like what happened to Tony and Elvira. The "rebel" character tends to be street smart and can handle his own affairs pretty well, but his organizational skills tend to be lacking. He is capable of starting rebellion, but when it comes to running complex organizations, his lack of planning gets the better of him and the ESTP finds himself replaced by somebody more competent, usually an INTJ (Mark Anthony replaced with Octavian, Sonny Corleone replaced with Michael Corleone). That theme runs through Scarface as well. Tony recklessly crosses Alejandro Sosa (a likely INTJ), and in the end gets destroyed. The reason I say recklessly is because Tony had no plan on crossing Sosa until one of his own personal rules was about to be violated (women and children were about to get killed). Male xSTP rules tend to revolve around "masculine honor" - i.e. "I don't kick a man when he's down", and "I don't kill children" etc).

Tuco (from Good/Bad/Ugly): I actually have to rewatch the movie to make a good argument for this one.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can get with your Wayne description, you might have something with ISTJ.

Ripley, I won't say "Yes she is INTJ," because when it has been required of me and other INTPs we can be directive as well, and very cold and unrelenting along with it, as a kind of pre-emptive defense mechanism.

The Dude, I just see more ISFP in him, which is backed mostly by personal observation of "confirmed" ISFPs. My dad, for example, can be very underhanded/passive agressive. But you could be right with ISTP, of course.

There are, of course, the degrees of how "F" someone is or how "J" someone is. In Aliens, Ripley was more J than she was in Alien. Then again, in Alien she already had a competent leader (Dallas) so it was easier for her to sit back for most of the film, where in Aliens there was no competent leader (Lt Gordon was a dumbass), plus Ripley had the mother instinct kick in. So that could explain why she appeared more J in Aliens than in Alien. As you probably know, INTJs don't mind (often prefer even) being led, as long as the leader is competent. But they quickly take over if they sense incompetence. That's actually one of the most definitive characteristics of an INTJ.

As for the Dude, he seemed to lean more toward T than F. Walter was a very dominating character, and there were more than one occasion where the Dude not only stood his ground, but also took the helm. Not to say that ISFPs don't stand their ground when pushed too far, but they are a lot more hesitant to take the helm.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Alice (Closer): Notice how she handled being in love. When Dan told started talking about how it unsettled him that she was with Larry, she flatly said "I don't think I love anymore".
She said, after being interrogated, "I'm not in love with you anymore," and then "I would've loved you forever" while crying. Right after they first met, she also said she would never leave someone she still loved, and that she would say exactly what she eventually did say to Dan. "I don't love you anymore. Goodbye."

It is the ENFP who will be hard and fast about love, not the ESFP. It's less personal for ESFPs. They tend to see relationships as something in their life, an influence on them, more than a fusion with another complete person like an ENFP would. ESFPs are more likely to have an off-and-on relationship with someone because they aren't so affected by the turmoil. Alice never stopped being in love with Dan until the very end--The look on her face when he came into the club? That's not ESFP, it's deep.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alice was an ISFP.
Alice wasn't even her real name. The name she used at the strip club was her real name. (I can't remember what it was now)

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
She said, after being interrogated, "I'm not in love with you anymore," and then "I would've loved you forever" while crying. Right after they first met, she also said she would never leave someone she still loved, and that she would say exactly what she eventually did say to Dan. "I don't love you anymore. Goodbye."

It is the ENFP who will be hard and fast about love, not the ESFP. It's less personal for ESFPs. They tend to see relationships as something in their life, an influence on them, more than a fusion with another complete person like an ENFP would. ESFPs are more likely to have an off-and-on relationship with someone because they aren't so affected by the turmoil. Alice never stopped being in love with Dan until the very end--The look on her face when he came into the club? That's not ESFP, it's deep.

Hmm, you make good points, but I don't remember noticing that.
I'd have to see it again.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
P.S. What about ENFJ for Clementine? I should watch E.S. again anyway, it's been a while, and it's good.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jane Jones
That's the one.

She was a 21-25 year old ENFP, and may god strike me down were it to be otherwise.

Prepare to be struck down.
How many ENFP strippers do you know? *rhetorical*
Who would reveal their true identity to punters and not to their SO?
Who would sleep with Clive to get even with Jude?

I think not.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
How many ENFP strippers do you know? *rhetorical*

I've personally met some "unlikely" stripper types (INFJ and ISTJ for example)

I don't care to go into details, but take my word for it.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
1.How many ENFP strippers do you know? *rhetorical*
2. Who would reveal their true identity to punters and not to their SO?
3. Who would sleep with Clive to get even with Jude?

1. If you're trying to prove me wrong with a rhetorical question, don't expect me to ignore it! I know an ENFP former stripper, and I've known of others. No joke.
2. She revealed her real name because she knew she wouldn't be believed. How many xSFPs would bother to be as perceptive/tricky?
3. She didn't. She didn't expect to ever see Dan again, even though she was still in love with him. If I were to get ultra-psychoanalytical, I'd say she felt cheated and hurt, and was depressed, and she wanted to feel wanted by someone.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. If you're trying to prove me wrong with a rhetorical question, don't expect me to ignore it! I know an ENFP former stripper, and I've known of others. No joke.
2. She revealed her real name because she knew she wouldn't be believed. How many xSFPs would bother to be as perceptive/tricky?
3. She didn't. She didn't expect to ever see Dan again, even though she was still in love with him. If I were to get ultra-psychoanalytical, I'd say she felt cheated and hurt, and was depressed, and she wanted to feel wanted by someone.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I'm trying to readjust your thinking. Which is clearly in need of readjustment.

1. Revealed bias.
2. You didn't answer the whole question. And ESFPs can be plenty tricky.
3. That's not the behaviour of an ENFP. And she would never be short of wanters so your argument doesn't hold water.
Also, what about the closing credits?
Looked pretty pleased with herself to me. Broken-hearted? I think not.
In fact, I don't even know if she is an F, after all.

Actually, the characters in that film/play were pretty unrealistic, on the whole, even if the dynamics were interesting.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Interesting.

A few revisions (insofar as my opinion allows):

Ra's Al Ghul - INTJ.
Bruce Wayne - ISTP/INTJ
The Bride (Kill Bill) - xNTJ
Fox Mulder - INFP

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
1. Revealed bias.
2. You didn't answer the whole question. And ESFPs can be plenty tricky.
3. That's not the behaviour of an ENFP. And she would never be short of wanters so your argument doesn't hold water.
4. Also, what about the closing credits?
Looked pretty pleased with herself to me. Broken-hearted? I think not.
1. How is providing evidence contrary to your ungrounded statement revealing bias, exactly? Now there's a rhetorical question.
2. I suppose she kept her name secret from her SO because she's "out there," and perhaps fearful.
3. Of course she could find a suitor by merely walking outside. But she finally gave in to Larry. The balance eventually tipped toward the need for affection.
4. Yeah, she stopped being in love with Dan, because he violated her values (very important to ENFP), and broke his heart instead of the other way around.

All of this is easily attributable to a quirky ENFP, I've seen similar behavior in them.