• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movie characters and MBTI

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Can anyone take a stab at Leo DiCaprio and Matt Damon's types on "The Departed"?

That film was like they raped the original and then burn-stamped the American flag on it.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That film was like they raped the original and then burn-stamped the American flag on it.

*shrinks under the heat of colmena's rage*

Didn't you like it then? What was the original?

I liked it. But I don't remember it very well, not well enough to type the characters.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I loved the movie. I have not seen the original. Scorsese FTW.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
colemena said:

Ugh. I didn't even watch the whole thing. Only clips. And the ending. Argh. They took every line of dialogue and added three bleeps to it. The only good part of the ending is that it prevents any sequels from being made to repeat raping the original.

I agree with Clementine as an ENFP and Joel as an ISFJ. (I love that movie.)

I think Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins is an INFJ.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's much truer for something like a sitcom, because the writing situation is usually something like: Ten people bringing joke ideas to the table, brainstorming & coming up with more joke ideas, then assigning them to the characters as best they can. I don't even bother typing most TV characters.

I guess that would depend on how the show is written. I've heard that HBO series tend to have assigned writers to each character, instead of having a bunch of writers who make general contributions to the story. That way, the characters are a lot more consistent.

Take ROME for example. The characters are so clearly defined, rounded, and consistent, that you can actually teach people MBTI from watching those series.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Right on about Rome. And I thought your types were fine, of course.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ hurry up and set up the Movie Club already, Meenie.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The Departed: I adore the movie, but I haven't seen the one it's based on, and I probably never will. Ignorance is bliss.

I think DiCaprio's Costigan is closest to INTP. Matt Damon's character, perhaps ENTJ.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Departed: I adore the movie, but I haven't seen the one it's based on, and I probably never will. Ignorance is bliss.

I think DiCaprio's Costigan is closest to INTP. Matt Damon's character, perhaps ENTJ.

I'm surprised you'd say that. Matt Damon's character give me a strong impression of being an ESFP. He was an excellent bullshitter, good at weaseling out of trouble, and wasn't much of a planner. His main technique was to sweet talk people with reassurances, not to by exhibiting power over them.

If anything, Jack Nicholson's character was the ENTJ.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm surprised you'd say that. Matt Damon's character give me a strong impression of being an ESFP.
I don't think I've known an ESFP who would have the capacity to stay in character his entire life.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm surprised you'd say that. Matt Damon's character give me a strong impression of being an ESFP. He was an excellent bullshitter, good at weaseling out of trouble, and wasn't much of a planner. His main technique was to sweet talk people with reassurances, not to by exhibiting power over them.

If anything, Jack Nicholson's character was the ENTJ.

I don't think he was charming enough to be an ESFP. Poss ESTP?

Agree with the Nicholson ENTJ.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think I've known an ESFP who would have the capacity to stay in character his entire life.

He wasn't in "character", he was always himself - a sleazy, although competent guy, whom a lot of cops in the force resented. Perhaps you meant that ESFPs have trouble keeping their mouths shut and he would inadvertently spill the beans? That's a fair assertion, but in the movie at least, he was portrayed as someone who could quickly recover from a gaffe and maybe that's how he managed to keep his cover for so long. And lets face it, SJs (which most cops are) are bad at noticing treachery, unless they actively look for it.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Presumably the characters from 12 Angry Men have been typed. Anyone more forum savvy willing to point me in the right direction?

(pretty please with cherries)