• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

David Letterman

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
It's not so much Leno as The Tonight Show. Leno's a funny guy, but the demographic they're going for *coughSJcough* isn't interested in biting, subtle humor.

It's ST, haven't you read the memo...

And take so Nyquil for that cough.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
It's not so much Leno as The Tonight Show. Leno's a funny guy, but the demographic they're going for *coughSJcough* isn't interested in biting, subtle humor.

Conan taking over in 2009 will hopefully spin it in a different direction.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
My dad (and then myself, because it made sense) thought Letterman was grooming Craig Kilborn to take over for himself. Kilborn was my favorite, and reminded me a lot of Johnny Carson. It's too bad he quit to start a half-ass movie career in which I think he got one or two very small parts.

I would type Kilborn as ESTP off the cuff. Very Lando Calrissian, that guy, and full of honor and win, just like Letterman.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I don't think I've seen Leno.

I've seen a bit of Conan. He reminds me of Jonathon Ross a little, in a less rude way. More professional, too.

Who's that Scottish bloke? He's rubbish. Dishwater interviews, boo-hoo past, and not good with making the funnies.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I will say he definitely does strike me as introverted. He's not the kind of guy who would strike up a conversation in the grocery store because he likes your t-shirt, which I've seen ENTPs do.

He also demonstrates great character for a person of any type at all.

He'd only do that if there were cameras on. I've heard many celebrities say that Letterman doesn't even talk to them when they go to commercial break. I once heard Jack Hanna, the zoo guy that's always on, give a lecture for a zoo benefit, and he said in all the years he's been on the show, he and letterman have never had a conversation beyond what you see on camera.

Letterman is definitely N. He's so random in the way his brain bounces from thought to thought. I agree with Jeffster, though--he hasn't really been funny for the past 10 years or so.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's SP humor.

That's what I was about to say. SPs are great at randomness. And Letterman tends to focus on one word or phrase he decides is hilarious to him and he then repeats it over and over again throughout the show, then the next day it's something else. It's very easy to tell what bits are done by his writers and what is just his ad-libbing. He most likely has some N writers but he is personally SP. Punching the camera, throwing pencils, dropping fruit off of high buildings, covering himself in alka-seltzer and dipping himself in water, same thing with cereal and milk, random vocal instructions fed to the Deli guy, spontaneous and impulsive humor all the way. There's ample evidence to support his being an introvert, and he definitely strikes me as someone who tends to lean towards logical reasoning in his interviews/arguments and less to emotional value-type discussion.

So once again, I say ISTP.

These days, I think Jim Rome fills the spot as my favorite talk show host. His radio show that is, not his tv show. And his humor is very much like Letterman's early stuff. I think Rome is an ISTP also.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
That's what I was about to say. SPs are great at randomness. And Letterman tends to focus on one word or phrase he decides is hilarious to him and he then repeats it over and over again throughout the show, then the next day it's something else. It's very easy to tell what bits are done by his writers and what is just his ad-libbing. He most likely has some N writers but he is personally SP. Punching the camera, throwing pencils, dropping fruit off of high buildings, covering himself in alka-seltzer and dipping himself in water, same thing with cereal and milk, random vocal instructions fed to the Deli guy, spontaneous and impulsive humor all the way. There's ample evidence to support his being an introvert, and he definitely strikes me as someone who tends to lean towards logical reasoning in his interviews/arguments and less to emotional value-type discussion.

So once again, I say ISTP.

These days, I think Jim Rome fills the spot as my favorite talk show host. His radio show that is, not his tv show. And his humor is very much like Letterman's early stuff. I think Rome is an ISTP also.

Hmmm, you may have a point there.

MBTI Type
INTJ
After reading the thread, I'm willing to concede on part of his type. But I'm absolutely utterly convinced that he's INxJ. He's too witty and insightful to be otherwise. And it's more obvious when he does his serious interviews, like his recent interview of John McCain.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
SPs are great at randomness.
NP's are the greatest at randomness. Ne is pretty much the king/queen of random, clever/witty humor. No offense to SP's, but the NP's I know are a million times more entertaining than anyone else.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
After reading the thread, I'm willing to concede on part of his type. But I'm absolutely utterly convinced that he's INxJ. He's too witty and insightful to be otherwise.

That's just silly. "witty and insightful" is not exclusive to "INxJ"

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
That's just silly. "witty and insightful" is not exclusive to "INxJ"
Yeah, no shit (Though apparently it is shit to some people). I know an ESFP who's just about as funny as I am (As if that were possible).

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think N humor is more transformational. Jeffster made a pretty good case for the possibility of him being an S( not saying I necessarily agree), but judging from me and my friends(mostly sensors) we definitely tune in on totally different aspects of things.

I remember one time we were watching that prison report show they have on msnbc I think and they had an interview going with an inmate who was talking about how it was a crazy situation in there, no one could be trusted. I was kinda just zoning out or whatever and then he mentioned decapitated and I'm like wtf with a shank thats gotta be some crazy ass shit( impossible) and my friend just goes WTF are you shitting me? thats what you noticed when he mentioned slicing someone at any time. Really?

I actually think S's can be incredibly quick and witty AND relevant, sometimes I will mention something that is so loosely related it takes me 15 times longer to explain it and by then even if it was funny the joke is killed. So yeah I think you can't just say because someones really witty and insightful they have to be introverted and intuitive.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think N humor is more transformational. Jeffster made a pretty good case for the possibility of him being an S( not saying I necessarily agree), but judging from me and my friends(mostly sensors) we definitely tune in on totally different aspects of things.

I remember one time we were watching that prison report show they have on msnbc I think and they had an interview going with an inmate who was talking about how it was a crazy situation in there, no one could be trusted. I was kinda just zoning out or whatever and then he mentioned decapitated and I'm like wtf with a shank thats gotta be some crazy ass shit( impossible) and my friend just goes WTF are you shitting me? thats what you noticed when he mentioned slicing someone at any time. Really?

I actually think S's can be incredibly quick and witty AND relevant, sometimes I will mention something that is so loosely related it takes me 15 times longer to explain it and by then even if it was funny the joke is killed. So yeah I think you can't just say because someones really witty and insightful they have to be introverted and intuitive.

See, more evidence right there. Letterman gets to the point a HELL of a lot faster than Aimahn does.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Haha. Lol yea I don't know I switch off between.............. yeah but I... typing is my thought process,
speaking in blurbs is not how my brain works.
I hate cutting down because it takes effort.
speaking is easier.
bullet points too inexact.
haiku style writings wack.
points are not facts.
Please teach me quick and easy sensor comebacks.
Brevity is what I lack.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Haha. Lol yea I don't know I switch off between.............. yeah but I... typing is my thought process,
speaking in blurbs is not how my brain works.
I hate cutting down because it takes effort.
speaking is easier.
bullet points too inexact.
haiku style writings wack.
points are not facts.
Please teach me quick and easy sensor comebacks.
Brevity is what I lack.

DUDE.

(there's your first lesson.)

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
*stomps feet* Damn I didn't do any research on dudes what do you think I'm gay?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I have become relatively convinced of INTP for Mr. Letterman.

Also: He should be president, even though I disagree with his politics. There is no man who exudes more class.