User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 39

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    22,610

    Default Are people more oppressed by crime or inequality?

    Are people more oppressed by crime and criminals in their communities or inequality and structural injustices?
    All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.
    Chapter IV, p. 448. - Adam Smith, Book 3, The Wealth of Nations

  2. #2
    Bird of War Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    KAWW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,227

    Default

    Inequality. Inequality is a daily occurrence; crime is not.
    The gloves are off...
    The wisdom teeth fell out...
    What you on about?





    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes Yuu liked this post

  3. #3
    . bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    The latter, obviously. When people aren't oppressed and depressed, they're more likely to ensure their communities are kept safe. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Maslow's gross oversimplification, for the purposes of this thread, it will do.



    Notice how safety and love/belonging (community pride) are above basic physiological needs (shelter, water, clothing for warmth, etc.)?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    22,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    The latter, obviously. When people aren't oppressed and depressed, they're more likely to ensure their communities are kept safe. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Maslow's gross oversimplification, for the purposes of this thread, it will do.



    Notice how safety and love/belonging (community pride) are above basic physiological needs (shelter, water, clothing for warmth, etc.)?
    How did you form your opinions about Maslow? Have you read his books or just read about his thinking second hand?
    All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.
    Chapter IV, p. 448. - Adam Smith, Book 3, The Wealth of Nations

  5. #5
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    4,053

    Default

    Can't speak for other nations but "structural injustices" in the USA are largely imagined. The wage gap between men and women for example is entirely imaginary. Inequality is mostly a function of personal choices, upbringing, poor work habits, laziness, etc. Basically, inequality exists because people are free to be bums and obsessive workers and that's not a bad thing.
    How about a nice game of gin rummy?
    Likes biohazard, Xann liked this post

  6. #6
    Bird of War Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    KAWW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Can't speak for other nations but "structural injustices" in the USA are largely imagined. The wage gap between men and women for example is entirely imaginary. Inequality is mostly a function of personal choices, upbringing, poor work habits, laziness, etc. Basically, inequality exists because people are free to be bums and obsessive workers and that's not a bad thing.
    That wasn't the question, though.
    The gloves are off...
    The wisdom teeth fell out...
    What you on about?





    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  7. #7
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    4,053

    Default

    Since one is imaginary and the other is real, I'd have thought my answer is obvious.
    How about a nice game of gin rummy?
    Likes Xann liked this post

  8. #8
    The Road not Taken Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    18,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Are people more oppressed by crime and criminals in their communities or inequality and structural injustices?
    The latter. It is consistent/systemic, whereas the former is sporadic. They also are not unrelated.
    Our friendship would profit us both alike. Much we could still accomplish together, to heal the disorders of the world. Let us understand one another, and dismiss from thought these lesser folk.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Are people more oppressed by crime and criminals in their communities or inequality and structural injustices?
    Most people are oppressed by their own stupidity. That's just the way it is...and I'm not excluding myself.

    Only a snowflake cupcake blames almost anything in life on something external, on something outside of themselves.

    Crime and criminality, well there is technology available that will allow for a person to weigh and measure the risk.

    Inequality and structural injustice? Who in the hell on the face of this entire planet doesn't encounter that? I mean seriously are folks so focused contemplating the gruff of their own anus, they simply can't see what's outside of their own limited realm?

    Whatever...yup, whatever...
    Likes Xann, Poki liked this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    22,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Since one is imaginary and the other is real, I'd have thought my answer is obvious.
    Crime is real man.
    All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.
    Chapter IV, p. 448. - Adam Smith, Book 3, The Wealth of Nations
    Likes biohazard liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2017, 05:19 PM
  2. Are looks more important to men or women?
    By BadOctopus in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-28-2015, 09:09 PM
  3. [SP] Sps, are you more or less honest when high or intoxicated
    By Charmed Justice in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 12:50 AM
  4. Are people more introverted these days?
    By NewEra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 05:28 AM
  5. are you more or less logical than you think?
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 11:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO