User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    583 so/sp

Default US foreign policy

To be honest I am missing the Trump thread since it's closing did make a certain hole in this sub forum. However I used the thread mostly in the aspect of how USA relates to the other countries. Therefore now I will open the thread that is more specific in this regard. Since I would like to have a place for more serious geopolitical talk.

So I will start with something concrete right from the start.

NATO allies clash as Turkey attacks US-backed Kurds in Syria

In other words the strongest NATO member and second biggest army of NATO are on the opposite sides. What is very serious situation that doesn't really happen everyday and in a way that is just another strike at American leadership. Which is in a way understandable if we consider what happened with Jerusalem.

But many analysts say the standoff in Afrin is hotter than it looks. The influential Soufan Group, a US-based security intelligence strategy firm, said in its latest brief that the Turkish action is an example of the new coalition between Turkey, Russia and Iran, which are "united in a desire to block US interests." The US will have to back down or ratchet up the conflict with its NATO ally Ankara, the Soufan Group suggests.
    This is very serious stuff.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Closing the trump thread was a mistake. It contained a subject that most people quite frankly want minimal exposure to. Its deletion now means we will see more threads, more discussion, and more politics. The exact opposite of what that thread was designed to do, and did well at.

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    583 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Closing the trump thread was a mistake. It contained a subject that most people quite frankly want minimal exposure to. Its deletion now means we will see more threads, more discussion, and more politics. The exact opposite of what that thread was designed to do, and did well at.

So what ? This section of the forum is about politics.
    Those that can't take this shouldn't be coming in this part of the forum. (no one is forcing them)

However I have opened this thread since this is something far wider and more serious than Trump himself and American daily politics. Since there are major tectonic shift out there at the moment, that indeed require more serious thread than the Trump thread. Those that don't care they can simply skip.
    Likes Xann, Jaguar liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Eh, I get closing that thread but it was a good clearinghouse for anything involving the Trump administration. But I do hope it's understood that if you're making a US foreign policy thread you understand that we don't have the luxury of snap elections, a variety of political parties to choose from or several other things specific to Europe and other places. I think sometimes that's a fact that's overlooked or ignored.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    583 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Eh, I get closing that thread but it was a good clearinghouse for anything involving the Trump administration. But I do hope it's understood that if you're making a US foreign policy thread you understand that we don't have the luxury of snap elections, a variety of political parties to choose from or several other things specific to Europe and other places. I think sometimes that's a fact that's overlooked or ignored.

I said that myself plenty of times, however this thread really isn't just about america and it shouldn't be about Trump too much.

First post was about serious problem that Turkey that is going against you even if it is your NATO ally. The same can be said about Hungary, where half of the population went Nazi in a way.

Plus the government is getting openly oppressive and closer and closer to both Russia and Erdogan, plus this is spilling into neigbouring countries. (mine included)
    At this rate the classic American values will be basically evaporated from most of the world if USA doesn't go into some kind of concete diplomatic counter-action. Not mention that I haven't seen dollars in years even if my country isn't using euro.

I am getting impression that no one cares about evaporation of influence/values in cases like these. Yet everyone here bitches how bad are their lives ... it is interesting that people fail to see the connection.

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    583 so/sp

It seems that Argentna is "gone" as well.

Argentine and Russian Presidents Macri and Putin sign strategy accord

Macri said he hoped his initial, two-day visit to Russia would be "the first of many" as "Argentina and Russia share interests" for which they should "strengthen their cooperation."
    Macri described the two countries as "complementary" and expressed confidence that Argentina would become a major supplier of food for Russia and also of technology.
    Russian President Vladimir Putin said the two countries had close or similar positions on regional and global issues. He said they had agreed at their meeting "to continue promoting bilateral cooperation in all areas."
    After the meeting, Macri attended a ceremony to inaugurate the Argentine Republic Square near the country's embassy in Moscow. This followed the naming of a Russian Federation square in Buenos Aires last year.
    Among the ideas was a proposal from Russian state nuclear agency Rosatom to build a nuclear power station in Argentina, Putin said.
    Also signed on Tuesday was a memorandum of understanding for prospecting and extracting uranium in Argentina.
    Putin also said Russia was prepared to supply rocket engines to Argentina.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Macri seems to be a centrist technocrat. I doubt that this is anything more than a relationship of convenience. Macri has put too much effort into re-opening Argentina to the West to throw all that away. He would probably make a similar strategic deal with the US, if Trump were interested in any partnerships.

Some of these quotes are hilarious though. Argentina a major supplier of technology?

The Kurds really cant catch a break, seriously, I really wish that they would get their homeland territory, they defeated ISIS more or less, and they've been oppressed for a very long time.
    Likes Gunboat Diplomat liked this post

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    583 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Gunboat Diplomat View Post
    Macri seems to be a centrist technocrat. I doubt that this is anything more than a relationship of convenience. Macri has put too much effort into re-opening Argentina to the West to throw all that away. He would probably make a similar strategic deal with the US, if Trump were interested in any partnerships.

Some of these quotes are hilarious though. Argentina a major supplier of technology?

Yeah, but that is the point of all this. Will this happen or US will skip this while Russia isn't.

On the other side they said technology, and that don't necessary mean something completely high tech. From what I understand Argentina has pretty well developed food industry and therefore it could be selling something like Tractors, food processing and fishing boats to Russia. These count as technology in my book and Russia seems to be trying to get it's own food industry into better shape. Since they want to be fully self-sustainable and with their "cards" that is actually achievable.

The reason why I care about any of this is because I objectively live in the Russian sphere of influence. So if the ratios between east and west change that has very concrete consequnces for me. Especially if we consider what is going on in these parts as it is.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Yeah, but that is the point of all this. Will this happen or US will skip this while Russia isn't.

On the other side they said technology, and that don't necessary mean something completely high tech. From what I understand Argentina has pretty well developed food industry and therefore it could be selling something like Tractors, food processing and fishing boats to Russia. These count as technology in my book and Russia seems to be trying to get it's own food industry into better shape. Since they want to be fully self-sustainable and with their "cards" that is actually achievable.

The reason why I care about any of this is because I objectively live in the Russian sphere of influence. So if the ratios between east and west change that has very concrete consequnces for me. Especially if we consider what is going on in these parts as it is.
    Yes, but I think that South Americans (especially Brazilians, but Argentinians probably too) are more interested in creating their own sphere of influence, not be part of someone else's. So they will likely play different "empires" against each other for maximum benefit.

BTW, if Russians can't be self-sustainable with their resources, they deserve to die.