User Tag List

123 Last

Default James Damore sues Google for allegedly discriminating against conservative white men

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...diversity-memo

The author of the controversial memo that upended Google in August is suing the company, alleging that white, male conservatives are systematically discriminated against by Google.

James Damore was fired as an engineer after the manifesto, which questioned the benefits of diversity programs and suggested women may be biologically inferior engineers, was widely passed around the company. In a new lawsuit, he and another fired engineer claim that “employees who expressed views deviating from the majority view at Google on political subjects raised in the workplace and relevant to Google’s employment policies and its business, such as ‘diversity’ hiring policies, ‘bias sensitivity,’ or ‘social justice,’ were/are singled out, mistreated, and systematically punished and terminated from Google, in violation of their legal rights.”

Attorneys for Damore and the other engineer, David Gudeman, filed the lawsuit today in California’s Santa Clara Superior Court, and are seeking to represent others whose rights they claim were also violated — specifically, the company’s conservative white men. The lawsuit contains dozens of pages of internal Google communications that, according to the suit, demonstrate anti-conservative sentiment at the company, although that characterization seems debatable in several of the cited examples.

Damore became a minor celebrity in some parts of the online right after the memo leaked out. “To suggest a group of our colleagues have traits that make them less biologically suited to that work is offensive and not OK,” CEO Sundar Pichai said in an email to staff after Damore was fired.

Continued at...

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...diversity-memo
    "Ce que nous connaissons est peu de chose, ce que nous ignorons est immense."

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

I wonder if he will win?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Just reinforces that firing him was the right decision.
    Likes Yuu, Cassandra, Lark, Stell, Bush liked this post

He would be damaging to other peoples careers if kept in a leadership position. It is fine for you to have those views but they also keep you from seeing your people's full potential and therefore hurt both the company and those people's career track.
    It ironically means you lack the skillset to be a good leader.
    Likes jcloudz, Hard liked this post

Does Google discriminate against conservative viewpoints? It's possible, I don't know. It's also possible that firing him for distributing that tract was a PR stunt because many Google customers discriminate against conservative viewpoints.

But against white men? I mean, I don't know, but conservatives aeren't necessarily white or male, so I think they may creating a false equivalency there. I don't know though, I'm not an insider to the company.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    He would be damaging to other peoples careers if kept in a leadership position. It is fine for you to have those views but they also keep you from seeing your people's full potential and therefore hurt both the company and those people's career track.
    It ironically means you lack the skillset to be a good leader.
    The same argument can be made regarding a policy of trying to hire more females / minorities rather than a pure focus on skill. The man was fired for sharing facts in a work context (following some kind of seminar where this type of feedback was said to have been welcomed - if i recall correctly) - his firing was not justified based on the information available to me.

His memo was wildly misinterpreted by the media - so one has to assume they are either too stupid to read or willingly smeared his reputation - for which I believe he should sue as well. But for anyone who has actually read it there's nothing counter factual or prejudiced in what he wrote.

Regarding conservative white males, I don't really know, not being an insider.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE
    Likes Xann, Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Just reinforces that firing him was the right decision.
    Yeah? On what basis?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

I just....I can't even.

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Does Google discriminate against conservative viewpoints? It's possible, I don't know. It's also possible that firing him for distributing that tract was a PR stunt because many Google customers discriminate against conservative viewpoints.

But against white men? I mean, I don't know, but conservatives aeren't necessarily white or male, so I think they may creating a false equivalency there. I don't know though, I'm not an insider to the company.
    Yeah, I agree. He is connecting being white and male with his douchiness which is essentially why he was fired. His views aren't conservative per se or reflective of white men as a whole just the fuckers he hangs out with on 4chan probably so he is conflating the 3 things.
    "Ce que nous connaissons est peu de chose, ce que nous ignorons est immense."

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    The same argument can be made regarding a policy of trying to hire more females / minorities rather than a pure focus on skill. The man was fired for sharing facts in a work context (following some kind of seminar where this type of feedback was said to have been welcomed - if i recall correctly) - his firing was no justified based on the information available to me. His memo was wildly misinterpreted by the media - so one has to assume they are either too stupid to read or willingly smeared his reputation - for which I believe he should sue as well. But for anyone who has actually read it there's nothing counter factual or prejudiced in what he wrote. Regarding conservative white males, I don't really know, not being an insider.
    So you believe that equality laws are bad because buisness owners have cram any minority into thier work place enviorment with out the skills an lacking cognitive abilities to do the work given?