User Tag List

12 Last

Default net celebrity and sinister video

7 Things to Know Following Logan Paul’s Graphic Suicide Video | The Mighty

What's everyone's views of this emerging story? I have to say that I did not know of this guy, I dont follow content providers on youtube because of they rank the highest in subscribers.

I may be jaded but I also think that he probably created this content in full and complete view of the controversy it would create, just like that other guy with his anti-semitic/all wars in history were caused by the jews video, and I think its, sadly, something to be expected these days from youtube or other online celebrities.

What do you think? Is this sort of thing inevitable or becoming typical?

I'd like to say this doesnt matter, in some ways it doesnt, but there's wealth involved in this too, wealth and influence, which probably incentivises some of the behaviour.

It’s the first I’ve heard of this guy. I suppose he achieved his goal. Was it Jagger who said all exposure is good exposure (paraphrasing)?

I don’t think half the online “personalities” believe the shit they say. It’s all very narcissistic and vapid, the technology and culture is engaged in a big feedback loop

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

This has nothing to do with my opinion of Logan Paul (what little I care to know of him) but going by that link title I honestly thought this was going to be about a stunt where he committed suicide.

And now I find out the reality is much worse.

In any case, human beings engaging in activity to garner attention that might further their influence is as old as (if not older) than the species. But whereas in times past it was the power of rumour, legend & later on the power of the printed word, now we have a level of accessibility that pretty much anyone in the developed world can take advantage of.

I don't think it is just the advent of the internet and it's connective ways though (albeit a way that can heavily shape) I see that more as a catalyst which factors in 'ease of use' when it comes to reaching others and demonstrating your attention seeking methods. I think there has been a strong shift in the way people think about themselves and how they have been told to think about themselves.
    If there is a general feeling of meaningless in the world (or maybe aimlessness) people are liable to reflect back on themselves at the expense of others in a kind of sophistry. I don't mean blanket selfishness though, more a certain form which merely assumes that cynicism is a given and that everyone else is ultimately playing the same kind of game.

And it can be dangerous to assume what others are thinking, though I'm hardly innocent here, but especially that they are thinking the same as yourself.

There is a lot more to this as well I think. I keep sensing that there is an assumption of how one has to operate in the world in order to 'get ahead' that also drives this kind of behaviour. As if every potential opportunity has to be followed up if it can be predicted to somehow improve your attention-capital, regardless of consequence or ethical consideration.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes Lark liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I don’t think half the online “personalities” believe the shit they say. It’s all very narcissistic and vapid, the technology and culture is engaged in a big feedback loop
    I am inclined to believe that but it does have consequences, like the stories online about the guy who was the no. one online nazi appeared to have a whole range of online cultural references and reportaire the last I read about him (I may have linked a piece about him to this forum even), including the truthers and all the theories about subterranean lizard overlords or UFOs. Lots of the alt right sources resemble that, in my limited or second hand experience of them, along with a catalogue of pop culture references, cancel that, its really rather narrow when I think about it, just over analysing the Matrix films for a deeper meaning they dont possess.

Though those individuals do have consequences beyond themselves and their online subscribers, that guy really did mow that car into those folk at that demo, that other guy that Disco liked did really stab those people dead, although I still think that was more murder hobo business than it was what Disco imagined it to be.

This article does mention the 13 Reasons Why show, which I've not watched and choose not to, I like the memes which have parents finding their kids watching it and getting them to put on Rick and Morty instead, and that's a studio which possibly got some of the worst ideas about suicide trending before this strangely dressed for an adult guy made his video in the despair wood.

It just seems like no one who reaches the pinnacle or summit of online fandom can sustain themselves without going to the darkside and having a very public fall from grace, dont you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    This has nothing to do with my opinion of Logan Paul (what little I care to know of him) but going by that link title I honestly thought this was going to be about a stunt where he committed suicide.

And now I find out the reality is much worse.

In any case, human beings engaging in activity to garner attention that might further their influence is as old as (if not older) than the species. But whereas in times past it was the power of rumour, legend & later on the power of the printed word, now we have a level of accessibility that pretty much anyone in the developed world can take advantage of.

I don't think it is just the advent of the internet and it's connective ways though (albeit a way that can heavily shape) I see that more as a catalyst which factors in 'ease of use' when it comes to reaching others and demonstrating your attention seeking methods. I think there has been a strong shift in the way people think about themselves and how they have been told to think about themselves.

If there is a general feeling of meaningless in the world (or maybe aimlessness) people are liable to reflect back on themselves at the expense of others in a kind of sophistry. I don't mean blanket selfishness though, more a certain form which merely assumes that cynicism is a given and that everyone else is ultimately playing the same kind of game.

And it can be dangerous to assume what others are thinking, though I'm hardly innocent here, but especially that they are thinking the same as yourself.

There is a lot more to this as well I think. I keep sensing that there is an assumption of how one has to operate in the world in order to 'get ahead' that also drives this kind of behaviour. As if every potential opportunity has to be followed up if it can be predicted to somehow improve your attention-capital, regardless of consequence or ethical consideration.
    All interesting points, I certainly think the curious way he has choosen to dress as an adult could indicate something about attention seeking. Maybe you can not be an online celebrity without having that trait, I dont know. Do you think it could have anything to do with extroversion?
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    All interesting points, I certainly think the curious way he has choosen to dress as an adult could indicate something about attention seeking. Maybe you can not be an online celebrity without having that trait, I dont know. Do you think it could have anything to do with extroversion?
    Good question.

I definitely think that there is this risk of people who find it hard to stimulate themselves, or find it difficult to sate their appetite for indulgence (whatever it's form; sensory or maybe emotional etc), to get caught up in an ever growing need to find something else other than their current situation that might finally fulfill them.

Whether that could be linked to extraversion is more difficult to answer, I think maybe it would be a good idea to frame it as more likely to happen to extraverted people if not exclusive to them.

But I think it can definitely be seen as breadth over depth, cliche though it might be.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    Good question.

I definitely think that there is this risk of people who find it hard to stimulate themselves, or find it difficult to sate their appetite for indulgence (whatever it's form; sensory or maybe emotional etc), to get caught up in an ever growing need to find something else other than their current situation that might finally fulfill them.

Whether that could be linked to extraversion is more difficult to answer, I think maybe it would be a good idea to frame it as more likely to happen to extraverted people if not exclusive to them.

But I think it can definitely be seen as breadth over depth, cliche though it might be,
    I was thinking of whether or not extroversion was a variable in what you'd said about attention seeking, not your point here about the ability to self-regulate when bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    I was thinking of whether or not extroversion was a variable in what you'd said about attention seeking, not your point here about the ability to self-regulate when bored.
    I might have been leaping the post a bit to some examples of why someone might feel the need to attention seek in that manner. In that case, then I think it would be a variable with regards to a need to garner attention, going by common definition.

Reminds me of the concept of peacocking to impress women, except in this case the woman is an entire audience of potential spectators.

- A.A. Milne.

His "apology" is classic narcissism speak. It's not that hard to see... he's a textbook narcissist.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/
    adjective: deliberately impassive or expressionless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Likes Lark liked this post