User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Default Oregon Freaks Out After Having to Pump Their Own Gas

Oregon Freaks Out After Having to Pump Their Own Gas

From the article. A post that has garnered over 4200 comments and 4000 shares

"I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas. I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it. This a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas. I can't even,"

Sign of the apocolypse? Sign of learned helplessness? Sign of something else?

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeah, it was weird when I traveled there over the summer with my boyfriend. I just wasn't expecting that. They'll get over it, the weed will help.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/
    adjective: deliberately impassive or expressionless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm kind of interested that it got the coverage that it appears to have gotten, why should something like that get everyones attention at the moment?

It sounds like learned helplessness but why is that significant that everyone's talking about that? It could as easily be someone with a disability railing about things who has little perception of how to communicate in a way likely to evoke sympathy or empathy from others.

Still, even if that is the case it seems pretty deplorable, like the family of the boxer in rope burns/million dollar baby (I think of that movie and Gran Torino as movies Eastwood made as social comment).

Anyway, I dont know much about Oregon, there's a lot of context I'm missing, but I know that no one pumps anyone else's fuel at the petrol stations here, I've not visited a single one were that's the case, I've seen ones which take credit cards or perform the transactions without any manned kiosk or station shop actually existing. That sort of thing I think WILL become more common and not less, I dont think it is going to happen overnight but I think it will be eventual that machines replace people and that will require more competence of some people, most people I dont think will notice much of a difference.

What I'm sure about is that venting frustrations about it, raging about it, aggressive or passive aggressive responses are not going to get your needs met and that'll take time but people will adjust, people are adaptive.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I remember when there were attendants but I have never not pumped my own gas since I've been driving. They'll live.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Survive & Stay Free liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    I'm kind of interested that it got the coverage that it appears to have gotten, why should something like that get everyones attention at the moment?

It sounds like learned helplessness but why is that significant that everyone's talking about that? It could as easily be someone with a disability railing about things who has little perception of how to communicate in a way likely to evoke sympathy or empathy from others.

Still, even if that is the case it seems pretty deplorable, like the family of the boxer in rope burns/million dollar baby (I think of that movie and Gran Torino as movies Eastwood made as social comment).

Anyway, I dont know much about Oregon, there's a lot of context I'm missing, but I know that no one pumps anyone else's fuel at the petrol stations here, I've not visited a single one were that's the case, I've seen ones which take credit cards or perform the transactions without any manned kiosk or station shop actually existing. That sort of thing I think WILL become more common and not less, I dont think it is going to happen overnight but I think it will be eventual that machines replace people and that will require more competence of some people, most people I dont think will notice much of a difference.

What I'm sure about is that venting frustrations about it, raging about it, aggressive or passive aggressive responses are not going to get your needs met and that'll take time but people will adjust, people are adaptive.
    To be honest. I dont have any frustrations about this. I just found it funny and kind of interesting,

Im sure the majority of people in Oregon arent completely losing their minds about this- but theres always a loud minority in cases like this and I just thought Id post this.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I hate having someone pump my gas. I am glad they may make that change.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    To be honest. I dont have any frustrations about this. I just found it funny and kind of interesting,

Im sure the majority of people in Oregon arent completely losing their minds about this- but theres always a loud minority in cases like this and I just thought Id post this.
    It is a moment.

Have a

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I grew up in New Jersey - you can't pump your own gas there.

I now live in Oregon (where I got my first car) - you can't pump your own gas there.

The only two states where I have resided while driving a car, and the only two states where you can't pump your own gas, so it's basically all I know and I wouldn't have it any other way .
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Past, Present and Future Virtual ghost's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    583 so/sp

Here you actually have to pump your gas yourself and I think that every driver should be able to do that in any time of a day or night.
    Likes Typh0n liked this post

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I grew up in New Jersey - you can't pump your own gas there.

I now live in Oregon (where I got my first car) - you can't pump your own gas there.

The only two states where I have resided while driving a car, and the only two states where you can't pump your own gas, so it's basically all I know and I wouldn't have it any other way .
    It's all your fault.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/
    adjective: deliberately impassive or expressionless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯