User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 53

  1. #21
    Senior Member Yuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anticlimatic View Post
    Change is hard on everyone.
    Omagod SO hard!
    Likes anticlimatic liked this post

  2. #22
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,976

    Default

    *actually reads the article instead of feeling smugly superior for being able to barely operate his arms/hands*

    According to an article by The Associated Press, gas stations in two central Oregon counties will continue to pump gas for customers despite the new law.
    Hah, so many good intentions, so much unemployment ahead.

  3. #23
    Driving to Wewelsburg Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Here you actually have to pump your gas yourself and I think that every driver should be able to do that in any time of a day or night.
    Agreed.

    I've actually never heard of such a thing.

  4. #24
    don't ask me Flâneuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Yes this isn't outdated or paranoid at all -- pumping your own gas is a tremendously challenging task, only fit for the most mechanically adept few among us. Clearly, if some untrained everyday person like me were to pump their own gas, it in would end in a fiery abyss of death for everyone within a 100-foot radius. You hear about gas station explosions all the time on the news. But seriously, I was glad to hear this news and hope this legislation spreads to urban areas in Oregon as well. The no-self-service-gas-pumping thing was one of my few pet peeves about Oregon when I moved here...(and I'm against anything that involves unnecessary interaction with strangers).

    Previously, as much as I disliked the self-service ban, I thought it probably helped keep unemployment down by providing lots of jobs at gas stations, but I did more research and found out that Oregon has fewer gas stations per capita than most states because of its self-service ban (likely because of the higher cost of running a gas station due to the need for a higher number of employees), so in the long run legalizing pumping your own gas probably won't affect employment levels much, if at all.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

  5. #25
    Senior Member Yuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    *actually reads the article instead of feeling smugly superior for being able to barely operate his arms/hands*

    Hah, so many good intentions, so much unemployment ahead.
    I don’t think you quite understand why some of us are mocking them.

    I’ve never pumped gas or even driven car so I have no reason to feel supirior. Hell, in my post I even explained why it might suck from thier perspective- but the insufferable reactions.
    They are acting like rich children who’s butler has told them “ You’re 18 now and I’m afraid you’re going to have to learn to dress yourself.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Flâneuse View Post
    Yes this isn't outdated or paranoid at all -- pumping your own gas is a tremendously challenging task, only fit for the most mechanically adept few among us. Clearly, if some untrained everyday person like me were to pump their own gas, it in would end in a fiery abyss of death for everyone within a 100-foot radius. You hear about gas station explosions all the time on the news. But seriously, I was glad to hear this news and hope this legislation spreads to urban areas in Oregon as well. The no-self-service-gas-pumping thing was one of my few pet peeves about Oregon when I moved here...(and I'm against anything that involves unnecessary interaction with strangers).

    Previously, as much as I disliked the self-service ban, I thought it probably helped keep unemployment down by providing lots of jobs at gas stations, but I did more research and found out that Oregon has fewer gas stations per capita than most states because of its self-service ban (likely because of the higher cost of running a gas station due to the need for a higher number of employees), so in the long run legalizing pumping your own gas probably won't affect employment levels much, if at all.
    I was curious about the occupational issue. Thanks for clarifying.
    Likes Flâneuse liked this post

  6. #26
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    I don’t think you quite understand why some of us are mocking them.

    I’ve never pumped gas or even driven car so I have no reason to feel supirior. Hell, in my post I even explained why it might suck from thier perspective- but the insufferable reactions.
    They are acting like rich children who’s butler has told them “ You’re 18 now and I’m afraid you’re going to have to learn to dress yourself.”



    I was curious about the occupational issue. Thanks for clarifying.
    That's a valid viewpoint, but I was talking about myself. It's a good hook to the story, and one I wanted to skip past for myself, "Lols, Oregon people are too good for pumping their own gas!" Of course there's going to be a few people freaking out. I think one of the more consistently strong reactions people have is the feeling of having something taken away from them, no matter what it is.
    ▵▵▵
    Likes Yuu liked this post

  7. #27
    Senior Member Yuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    That's a valid viewpoint, but I was talking about myself. It's a good hook to the story, and one I wanted to skip past for myself, "Lols, Oregon people are too good for pumping their own gas!" Of course there's going to be a few people freaking out. I think one of the more consistently strong reactions people have is the feeling of having something taken away from them, no matter what it is.
    I really like Oregon overall. It reminds me if how Seattle once was and I consider the state the last Bastion preventing the the entire West Ciast from becoming “ The Bay Area”.
    On the other hand stereotypes exist for a reason and “ Portlandia” has nailed Oregon’s special brand of whiny hipster.

    Having said that I do agree that it is about a sense if loss. I just don’t agree with that viewpoint. Viewing change as a loss or death is one of humanities greatest weaknesses.

  8. #28
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    I really like Oregon overall. It reminds me if how Seattle once was and I consider the state the last Bastion preventing the the entire West Ciast from becoming “ The Bay Area”.
    On the other hand stereotypes exist for a reason and “ Portlandia” has nailed Oregon’s special brand of whiny hipster.

    Having said that I do agree that it is about a sense if loss. I just don’t agree with that viewpoint. Viewing change as a loss or death is one of humanities greatest weaknesses.
    Well sure, but that's really just Portland as I understand it. Rural Oregon, which this applies to, is red and agricultural. I live in the forests Nor Cal right now, and it's fucking stoner hippy kingdom, which I love. But these hippies pump their own gas, build their own cabins from trees and fix their own generators. There's a lot of really broad and incorrect characterizations out there.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    23,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Well sure, but that's really just Portland as I understand it. Rural Oregon, which this applies to, is red and agricultural. I live in the forests Nor Cal right now, and it's fucking stoner hippy kingdom, which I love. But these hippies pump their own gas, build their own cabins from trees and fix their own generators. There's a lot of really broad and incorrect characterizations out there.
    That's interesting, do they qualify as hippies if they are how you describe them?

    This sort of stereotypical typology interests me, I'd find as many incompatible and compatible traits in any one type.

  10. #30
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    That's interesting, do they qualify as hippies if they are how you describe them?

    This sort of stereotypical typology interests me, I'd find as many incompatible and compatible traits in any one type.
    Well, if you're talking about the activities of people who were actually part of the counter culture in the 60's centered in SF, where else is there to go with it?

    But yeah, all these broad strokes are not sufficient to describe much of anything of value when it comes to things very nebulous in themselves like generations, voting groups, or nationalities.

Similar Threads

  1. Would little people in America like to have their own town?
    By Grand Admiral Crunch in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2016, 08:19 PM
  2. Study: Stem Cell Breakthrough Opens Door To Same-Sex Couples Having Their Own Babies
    By Hard in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-23-2015, 04:58 AM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-17-2014, 06:56 AM
  4. Chatype (the first U.S. city to have their own typeface (font))
    By swordpath in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM
  5. To each their own (mature language)
    By multicell in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO