Quote Originally Posted by anticlimatic View Post
    Change is hard on everyone.
    Omagod SO hard!
    Likes anticlimatic liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

*actually reads the article instead of feeling smugly superior for being able to barely operate his arms/hands*

According to an article by The Associated Press, gas stations in two central Oregon counties will continue to pump gas for customers despite the new law.
    Hah, so many good intentions, so much unemployment ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Here you actually have to pump your gas yourself and I think that every driver should be able to do that in any time of a day or night.
    Agreed.

I've actually never heard of such a thing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Yes this isn't outdated or paranoid at all -- pumping your own gas is a tremendously challenging task, only fit for the most mechanically adept few among us. Clearly, if some untrained everyday person like me were to pump their own gas, it in would end in a fiery abyss of death for everyone within a 100-foot radius. You hear about gas station explosions all the time on the news. But seriously, I was glad to hear this news and hope this legislation spreads to urban areas in Oregon as well. The no-self-service-gas-pumping thing was one of my few pet peeves about Oregon when I moved here...(and I'm against anything that involves unnecessary interaction with strangers).

Previously, as much as I disliked the self-service ban, I thought it probably helped keep unemployment down by providing lots of jobs at gas stations, but I did more research and found out that Oregon has fewer gas stations per capita than most states because of its self-service ban (likely because of the higher cost of running a gas station due to the need for a higher number of employees), so in the long run legalizing pumping your own gas probably won't affect employment levels much, if at all.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    *actually reads the article instead of feeling smugly superior for being able to barely operate his arms/hands*

Hah, so many good intentions, so much unemployment ahead.
    I don’t think you quite understand why some of us are mocking them.

I’ve never pumped gas or even driven car so I have no reason to feel supirior. Hell, in my post I even explained why it might suck from thier perspective- but the insufferable reactions.
    They are acting like rich children who’s butler has told them “ You’re 18 now and I’m afraid you’re going to have to learn to dress yourself.”

Quote Originally Posted by Flâneuse View Post
    Yes this isn't outdated or paranoid at all -- pumping your own gas is a tremendously challenging task, only fit for the most mechanically adept few among us. Clearly, if some untrained everyday person like me were to pump their own gas, it in would end in a fiery abyss of death for everyone within a 100-foot radius. You hear about gas station explosions all the time on the news. But seriously, I was glad to hear this news and hope this legislation spreads to urban areas in Oregon as well. The no-self-service-gas-pumping thing was one of my few pet peeves about Oregon when I moved here...(and I'm against anything that involves unnecessary interaction with strangers).

Previously, as much as I disliked the self-service ban, I thought it probably helped keep unemployment down by providing lots of jobs at gas stations, but I did more research and found out that Oregon has fewer gas stations per capita than most states because of its self-service ban (likely because of the higher cost of running a gas station due to the need for a higher number of employees), so in the long run legalizing pumping your own gas probably won't affect employment levels much, if at all.
    I was curious about the occupational issue. Thanks for clarifying.
    Likes Flâneuse liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    I don’t think you quite understand why some of us are mocking them.

I’ve never pumped gas or even driven car so I have no reason to feel supirior. Hell, in my post I even explained why it might suck from thier perspective- but the insufferable reactions.
    They are acting like rich children who’s butler has told them “ You’re 18 now and I’m afraid you’re going to have to learn to dress yourself.”

I was curious about the occupational issue. Thanks for clarifying.
    That's a valid viewpoint, but I was talking about myself. It's a good hook to the story, and one I wanted to skip past for myself, "Lols, Oregon people are too good for pumping their own gas!" Of course there's going to be a few people freaking out. I think one of the more consistently strong reactions people have is the feeling of having something taken away from them, no matter what it is.
    ▵▵▵
    Likes Yuu liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

That's a valid viewpoint, but I was talking about myself. It's a good hook to the story, and one I wanted to skip past for myself, "Lols, Oregon people are too good for pumping their own gas!" Of course there's going to be a few people freaking out. I think one of the more consistently strong reactions people have is the feeling of having something taken away from them, no matter what it is.
    I really like Oregon overall. It reminds me if how Seattle once was and I consider the state the last Bastion preventing the the entire West Ciast from becoming “ The Bay Area”.
    On the other hand stereotypes exist for a reason and “ Portlandia” has nailed Oregon’s special brand of whiny hipster.

Having said that I do agree that it is about a sense if loss. I just don’t agree with that viewpoint. Viewing change as a loss or death is one of humanities greatest weaknesses.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    I really like Oregon overall. It reminds me if how Seattle once was and I consider the state the last Bastion preventing the the entire West Ciast from becoming “ The Bay Area”.
    On the other hand stereotypes exist for a reason and “ Portlandia” has nailed Oregon’s special brand of whiny hipster.

Having said that I do agree that it is about a sense if loss. I just don’t agree with that viewpoint. Viewing change as a loss or death is one of humanities greatest weaknesses.
    Well sure, but that's really just Portland as I understand it. Rural Oregon, which this applies to, is red and agricultural. I live in the forests Nor Cal right now, and it's fucking stoner hippy kingdom, which I love. But these hippies pump their own gas, build their own cabins from trees and fix their own generators. There's a lot of really broad and incorrect characterizations out there.

Well sure, but that's really just Portland as I understand it. Rural Oregon, which this applies to, is red and agricultural. I live in the forests Nor Cal right now, and it's fucking stoner hippy kingdom, which I love. But these hippies pump their own gas, build their own cabins from trees and fix their own generators. There's a lot of really broad and incorrect characterizations out there.
    That's interesting, do they qualify as hippies if they are how you describe them?

This sort of stereotypical typology interests me, I'd find as many incompatible and compatible traits in any one type.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    That's interesting, do they qualify as hippies if they are how you describe them?

This sort of stereotypical typology interests me, I'd find as many incompatible and compatible traits in any one type.
    Well, if you're talking about the activities of people who were actually part of the counter culture in the 60's centered in SF, where else is there to go with it?

But yeah, all these broad strokes are not sufficient to describe much of anything of value when it comes to things very nebulous in themselves like generations, voting groups, or nationalities.