MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Oregon Freaks Out After Having to Pump Their Own Gas

From the article. A post that has garnered over 4200 comments and 4000 shares

"I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas. I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it. This a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas. I can't even,"

Sign of the apocolypse? Sign of learned helplessness? Sign of something else?
    The last time I had my gas pumped in Oregon it was by some 13 year old kid. So stupid. I've pumped my own gas all my life, but in Oregon a 13 year old kid is qualified and I'm not.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson

Cry havoc and let slip the snails of war.
    Likes Yuu, SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    I'm kind of interested that it got the coverage that it appears to have gotten, why should something like that get everyones attention at the moment?

It sounds like learned helplessness but why is that significant that everyone's talking about that? It could as easily be someone with a disability railing about things who has little perception of how to communicate in a way likely to evoke sympathy or empathy from others.

Still, even if that is the case it seems pretty deplorable, like the family of the boxer in rope burns/million dollar baby (I think of that movie and Gran Torino as movies Eastwood made as social comment).

Anyway, I dont know much about Oregon, there's a lot of context I'm missing, but I know that no one pumps anyone else's fuel at the petrol stations here, I've not visited a single one were that's the case, I've seen ones which take credit cards or perform the transactions without any manned kiosk or station shop actually existing. That sort of thing I think WILL become more common and not less, I dont think it is going to happen overnight but I think it will be eventual that machines replace people and that will require more competence of some people, most people I dont think will notice much of a difference.

What I'm sure about is that venting frustrations about it, raging about it, aggressive or passive aggressive responses are not going to get your needs met and that'll take time but people will adjust, people are adaptive.
    I travel to Oregon at least once a year ( it's a 3-4 hr drive). It's all about perspective: from mine, it was always perturbing to have fro an attendant to pump me gas for me. It also seemed a bit insulting.

From their perspective-an area where gas has always been pumped for them, and especially in this political climate where everyone feels like someone is trying to take something away from them-they probably see it as another way for businesses not only to cheapen their products and services, but also it's another job opportunity for High schooners and the unskilled lost. Mostly it's change and people don't like that.

As for me, I see it the way I see most things; there is good and bad maybe a few jobs are lost ( but it's like Mal said if they're going to hire a 13 yr in place of someone with bills to pay, to hell with them anyway) but I'm sure that eventually they will come to enjoy not having to wait on attendant.

Regardless of perspective, these reactions are beyond absurd.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Oregon Freaks Out After Having to Pump Their Own Gas From the article. A post that has garnered over 4200 comments and 4000 shares "I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas. I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it. This a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas. I can't even," Sign of the apocolypse? Sign of learned helplessness? Sign of something else?
    This is what millenials typically look like to non millenials.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sp

It's literally not that hard to pump gas... Driving itself is much harder. So if you can drive, you should be able to learn how to pump gas. As someone who has always lived in states where you pump your own gas, this makes me laugh on one hand and shake my head in dismay too.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers, Yama liked this post

People in NJ would react the same way, lol.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by anticlimatic View Post
    This is what millenials typically look like to non millenials.
    Oh good Lord.

“ I can’t even” Seriously?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    Oh good Lord.

" I can't even" Seriously?
    Change is hard on everyone.

pretentious poetess SurrealisticSlumbers's Avatar
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Too funny. I wonder what other states impose this archaic rule?
    The dead can't talk.
    But if they could, what would they have to say?
    Forty years ago, a "mystery couple" (possibly from outside the U.S.) spent some time in South Carolina, vacationing. Or were they?
    No way to know now... They were shot at close range and left for dead on the side of the road, for reasons unknown.
    They remain unidentified.

What happened?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

who the hell doesn't pump their own gas?? this is news to me. lol
    Likes Typh0n liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

40 million of us Californians have somehow been able to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    People in NJ would react the same way, lol.
    Sad!
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz