User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

There was a stray cat with a respiratory condition picked up by a pound/shelter around the 29th but her poor medical condition put her on the list to be euthanized by Halloween. Luckily the story started spreading on Tumblr and one user in the area actually submitted an application to adopt her, and she ended up finding a home the day she was supposed to be euthanized!

7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes Cloudpatrol, Typh0n liked this post

@Chanaynay

I LOVE it. Thank you so much. A black cat being adopted on Halloween is so wonderful and the extra elements to the story only increased my +happy!

This story about a man thinking he would die and recording his 'last moments'...and what ended up happening, made me smile:

Kevin Diepenbrock records farewell video moments after deadly motorcycle crash on Highway 129 - CBS News
    Likes Chanaynay liked this post

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

@Cloudpatrol

Falcarius read this story and it made him think of this thread.

Woman gets treasured earring back from Byron after Oxford Mail appeal

Woman gets treasured earring back

A NEW year’s miracle has taken place in Oxford this week after a distraught young woman appealed in the Oxford Mail for help finding a treasured possession.

Viky Teasdale, 33, lost a blue glass earring made from her father’s ashes on a shopping trip last Wednesday after visiting her family in Kennington over the Christmas break.

The earring had been made for her wedding day on New Year’s Eve 2014, just a few months after her father Ralph Pearson died aged 60, for her ‘something blue’.

On Saturday, December 31 Mrs Teasdale issued a plea in the Oxford Mail for help finding the earring including a run-down on where she had visited in Oxford city centre.

It was picked up by David Harrison, general manager of the Byron burger restaurant in George Street, who decided to have another look.

He said: “The lady had called on the day she lost it asking if we had found anything but we had already swept the floor.

“I saw the article online and thought I would have a look in our station bins - they just have napkins and things like that - and found the bin bag from the day she came in, and I found her earring.

“It was sheer luck; I just thought I would give it another chance.

“The article had her name on it so I contacted her on Facebook. She was shocked and delighted.”

Mrs Teasdale’s sister has since collected the earring from Byron and it has now been reunited with its owner in Sheffield, where it is going to be re-straightened.

A Facebook post initially sent out by Mrs Teasdale when she realised the earring had gone missing was shared more than 2,300 times and she and the family had scoured Oxford shops - including H&M, Marks & Spencer and Primark - prior to the good news.

Mrs Teasdale thanked Byron and the Oxford Mail for tracking down the earring, adding: “This is the best start to a new year ever.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

I'm pleased about the trials of universal basic income in Scandinavian states and Canada.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

'amazed by love'

that sounds suspicious
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    'amazed by love'

that sounds suspicious
    I can't find that wording. Which story are you referring to?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    I can't find that wording. Which story are you referring to?
    your op

your op
    Gotcha. Why? or How so?

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I forget where I read it, but many years ago I learned that the brain is much better at remembering negative events/things than postivie, largely because the former is more important to our survival. Further they also attract more attention.

As such it makes lots of sense that there is far more good news than is reported.
    Right. Negativity bias - Wikipedia

"The negativity bias,[1] also known as the negativity effect, refers to the notion that, even when of equal intensity, things of a more negative nature (e.g. unpleasant thoughts, emotions, or social interactions; harmful/traumatic events) have a greater effect on one's psychological state and processes than do neutral or positive things.[2][3][4] In other words, something very positive will generally have less of an impact on a person's behavior and cognition than something equally emotional but negative. The negativity bias has been investigated within many different domains, including the formation of impressions and general evaluations; attention, learning, and memory; and decision-making and risk considerations."

Here's a good article on the topic: Bad Memories Stick Better Than Good

The article speaks about 'research'. Here's the research that Kensinger is referring to https://www2.bc.edu/elizabeth-kensin...inger_CD07.pdf

Kensinger got her PhD from MIT and is the director of Boston College's Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience Laboratory ~ Elizabeth Kensinger - Psychology Department - Boston College

'amazed by love'

that sounds suspicious
    Highly suspicious indeed.

P.S. This is my source for: Break the cycle, rise above, focus on science.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft