User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

Default Why president has to be good and moral person ?

I am watching the threads here and I am in the mood for a little bit of political and ethical gymnastics.

In pretty much every democratic country there is a "rule" or belief that president or primeminister should be good and very moral person. However I was thinking lately about this and concluded that such president can be quite a duble-edged sword.

1. How can this person maintain power even if they get it ? Today politics is very dirty game for which most people don't have the stomach. However even if you elect the best man for the job the question is does this person has the skill and imagination to fight the corrupt opposition. Especially since they will probably try to invent some kind of a none existing scandal for the good president. What can undo or prevent many good ideas and plans.

2. Even if this goes well how can you expect that such president deals with other leaders, out of which many actually did over and over again things far more radical/violent then even the most radical people in your country?

3. How do you keep a good president from waging war(s) against "bad people" ? Since there simply isn't many any realistic alternatives and those individuals are clearly bad people by defintion. Can such a war or president be good even if there will inevitably be civilian casulties ?

4. Where do you draw the line between idealism and reality ?

What does it mean to be a good president anyway ?
    Likes ChocolateMoose123 liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If the US electorate had wanted a good and moral president, they would have re-elected Jimmy Carter.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Hard, LovecraftianMonstrosity liked this post

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If the US electorate had wanted a good and moral president, they would have re-elected Jimmy Carter.
    Jimmy was an abject failure domestically, internationally, and economically. His presidency was incompetent in many ways. He was never very good as president.

On top of that, he was not more moral and ethical than his opponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984
    Likes ZNP-TBA liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Fi

No one is good. No one is moral. That gids rid of the idealism and leaves room for some good old fashioned reality.
    Likes Yama liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    Jimmy was an abject failure domestically, internationally, and economically. His presidency was incompetent in many ways. He was never very good as president.

On top of that, he was not more moral and ethical than his opponent.
    Actually, he was, which has been more than borne out by how he has spent his time after leaving office. The OP asked about being moral and good, though, not other qualities which one might want in a president. As much as Americans have often made a big deal about any hint of immorality in candidates for national office, the example of Carter shows that that isn't really what they want after all. Perhaps in this election cycle, they are simply being more honest/open about that.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    STP

Moral is an opinion and can be rationalized into fruition.
    Im out, its been fun

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Actually, he was, which has been more than borne out by how he has spent his time after leaving office. The OP asked about being moral and good, though, not other qualities which one might want in a president. As much as Americans have often made a big deal about any hint of immorality in candidates for national office, the example of Carter shows that that isn't really what they want after all. Perhaps in this election cycle, they are simply being more honest/open about that.
    How did he he ever show he was more moral than Reagan? That is the statement you made but isn’t supported by history.

Sure Carter's choices post presidency were far better than Bill's disastrous choices, but just because he spent 30 years seeking redemption does not make him a more moral person than Reagan.

Jimmy didn't fail as president for being moral. He failed because he was naive and the Democratic Party apparatus in Washington was obscenely powerful in the post Watergate era.....

He didn't lose the 80 election for being moral. He lost it for being incompetent......
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984
    Likes ZNP-TBA, SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    What does it mean to be a good president anyway ?
    I don't know that it's much more than effective PR, anymore.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes ChocolateMoose123, Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people”. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

“Human passions unbridled by morality and religion…would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net.” – John Adams

An immoral president and Congress corrodes the protections of the Constitution. An evil or immoral president like FDR didn't think twice about rounding up Japanese American citizens, including kids, and putting them in internment camps without due process. The equally immoral Congress and Supreme Court went along with it without objection. So the Constitution and our rights are only guaranteed if our leaders are good, moral people.
    There are 129 million dead trees in California. Governor Moonbeam vetoed legislation to cut down these trees; now there are multiple forest fires that have resulted in many deaths, including 300 missing people. This is why Dems are dangerous; this treehugger refused to cut down even dead trees.

if any one president didn't cheat on his wife, it was carter.
    In challenge lies opportunity.