User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

This is what Carter said about the energy crises:

"We could use up all of the proven reserves of oil in the entire world by the end of the next decade. We must face the fact that the energy shortage is permanent."

It wasn't permanent; it was man-made or Carter-made. These are some of the Carter policies that got passed: (From Art Laffer's book "The End of Prosperity")

1) Gas rationing;
    2) well-head price controls;
    3) a gas guzzler tax on cars
    4) an odd-even license plate system for filling up gas;
    5) a windfall profits tax on domestic oil production;
    6) a $2 billion "investment" in the Synthetic Fuels Corporation, an alternative energy boondoggle that closed in 1982.

All of these stupid decisions were made by Carter and showed a complete lack of understanding of economics.
    There are 129 million dead trees in California. Governor Moonbeam vetoed legislation to cut down these trees; now there are multiple forest fires that have resulted in many deaths, including 300 missing people. This is why Dems are dangerous; this treehugger refused to cut down even dead trees.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    This is what Carter said about the energy crises:

"We could use up all of the proven reserves of oil in the entire world by the end of the next decade. We must face the fact that the energy shortage is permanent."

It wasn't permanent; it was man-made or Carter-made. These are some of the Carter policies that got passed: (From Art Laffer's book "The End of Prosperity")

1) Gas rationing;
    2) well-head price controls;
    3) a gas guzzler tax on cars
    4) an odd-even license plate system for filling up gas;
    5) a windfall profits tax on domestic oil production;
    6) a $2 billion "investment" in the Synthetic Fuels Corporation, an alternative energy boondoggle that closed in 1982.

All of these stupid decisions were made by Carter and showed a complete lack of understanding of economics.
    I don't claim to have been alive during Carters presidency, but cheap gas isn't the be all and end all, for various political and environmental reasons, and eventually the right wing is going to have to face it. It's not easy to transition to a different economy. It's not going to be booming times. We didn't have the technology then that we have now, so I'm not arguing that it wasnt awkward and painful, but it can't just go on. This issue will resurface, in the near future, and hopefully will be handled better, but for a certain kind of person, they will cling to fossil fuels the way the South clung to slave economy, and they'll complain.

Again, I'm not saying it didn't cause real economic problems that affected real people. ..but Ronald Reagan also caused economic problems that affected real people, in a different way.

I'm just going to mention, that this problem occurred around 1980, and you're accusing Carter of lying - to what purpose, I do not know - but ExxonMobil recently had to legally admit they've known since around 1980 the effect of carbon emissions on the environment. Carter wasn't lying, you just misunderstood him, and the problem didn't go away. It got worse.

I'm starting to think of the years 1945-2009 the New Antebellum, except for the whole country instead of the South, and no one wants to face that our Antebellum has to be ended for something new, and that's one of the reasons Sanders is trying to pick up the pieces.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa
    but Ronald Reagan also caused economic problems that affected real people, in a different way.
    Reaganomics brought about unprecedented prosperity and his policies made available the capital that fueled the internet boom of the 90s. Under Reagan, there were far fewer poor people and every class saw their income levels increase. Home ownership was up; 17 million jobs were created; federal tax revenues increased; black incomes grew faster than white incomes. Reagan pretty much made America great again.
    There are 129 million dead trees in California. Governor Moonbeam vetoed legislation to cut down these trees; now there are multiple forest fires that have resulted in many deaths, including 300 missing people. This is why Dems are dangerous; this treehugger refused to cut down even dead trees.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Your reasons for disliking Carter don't seem to have improved past age ten, especially since so much of what he introduced influenced issues the Democrats fully embrace today, many covered by Bernie's platform. My aunt loved Carter, and your view of him reminds me of the childish affection I had for Reagan until I was old enough to know better. You're old enough to know better, you seem stuck on two extreme views of Carter and Reagan that were probably the result of your age, via emotional biases.
    Lol, Carter was an absolute disaster as president.

At ten, I just knew he was a doofus. At 20, 30 and 40 and beyond, I studied why. Carter didn't have a lot of DC connections and he really didn't know how the city ran.

At the time, committee chairs in Congress were still extremely powerful and entrenched. The Democratic controlled Congress fought extensively. It was the post Watergate era and Congress was at its peak of power. Plus Ted Kennedy was preparing for his 1980 run for the presidency and he sabotaged Carter at every turn.

Carter's inept foreign policy caused him foreign and domestic problems. The only thing he did well was the Camp David Peace accords, but even that ultimately was just a huge bribe to Israel and Eqypt to not fight. Iran was his mess, and as recent documents show, he betrayed the Shah and got conned by the Ayatollah, which led to the oil shock and the economy tanking.

Carter is a smart man, but had zero vision and little charisma. He won mainly because of the anti-Republican mood in 76 and Ford's ineptness.

He was actually a predecessor of the Trump campaign, running as a populist outsider. He also ran on "trust", but actually had a history of flip flopping on issues, which is why he was attacked so easily by Reagan....."there you go again".

Carter started financial deregulation, for which alone he should be criticized. And I could go on.

Look, I know you like projecting on me your ideas related from your experience, but you really have no clue about my knowledge and experience. While I have a large range of subjects that I know, there are some where I have tremendous depth as well.

And I might have some ill will about Carter left over from childhood We did take the old Oscar Meyer jingle and ssng it with new lyrics:

"Jimmy Carter has a way of messing up the U S A!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984